Kidani Counter Service

Do you want a quick service option at Kidani Village?

• Yes!

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am writing this from a studio in Kidani right now. Went to The Mara last night and what a nightmare! Very long line to order, and once I ordered, 20 minutes to get our food. Went to the Poly tonight and was in and out of Captain Cook's in less time than it took me to order and receive my food at Mara. Don't know if Mara was overcrowded because of the greater number of patrons with Kidani now open, but it made me want a quick service restaurant in Kidani very badly. So I vote a big YES!

I am writing this from a studio in Kidani right now. Went to The Mara last night and what a nightmare! Very long line to order, and once I ordered, 20 minutes to get our food. Went to the Poly tonight and was in and out of Captain Cook's in less time than it took me to order and receive my food at Mara. Don't know if Mara was overcrowded because of the greater number of patrons with Kidani now open, but it made me want a quick service restaurant in Kidani very badly. So I vote a big YES!

Our experience in June also. Mara was packed at meal times. We placed our order and they somehow missed it. We sat there for a while and finally after about 25 minutes I went up and had to wait another 10 min while they made it. As I was waiting I started chatting with 1 of the hardworking chefs who had been there all day. We were talking about how busy Mara was since Kidani opened.

I can't think of any reason why I would not want the convenience of quick food if I was staying at Kidani:idea:
Kerri

I am hoping that they would do an "extended menu" at the pool bar like they have instituted at FW sanck bar, yes it would take a couple of extra cast members but would not take much additional space.

bookwormde

I dont really like the Mara so another option would be nice!

I voted yes for two main reasons:

1. There is no breakfast option at Kidani -- none. I think that something should be offered for breakfast. Did Disney forget that there are studios at Kidani as well? Not everyone stays in a 1 BR or 2BR. We never have a full kitchen at our disposal and love having Mara for a breakfast option - when we stay at Jambo.

2. There are no kid-friendly options at Kidani. My kids do not want to eat the food at Kanaa. And the pool bar offers the same fare. Please don't tell me this is a good time to expand my children's food palate. They don't want it and I have no desire to force the issue on vacation.

For those who want to hike to Jambo to go to Mara, good for you. I hike all day in the parks and don't want to walk that far to grab a quick bite- especially for breakfast, when we're trying to get to the parks before rope drop - and every second counts. And, yes, I've stayed at both Jambo and Kidani so I've tried it, and I do find it to be too long to walk for QS meal. That's my opinion.

For those who have had troubles with crowds at Mara -- I'm wondering if that is a summer thing (when everything is more crowded) or based on the time of day. The times we have been there (many), Mara has never been crowded for early breakfast ( 7-8am). However, around 9am or so, there is a substantial increase in diners. Just curious....

Whether or not a CS facility is actually feasible at KV wasn't the poll question.

I'm sorry, I thought that this was dealing with reality, so I mistakenly thought feasibility would certainly be a part of the question. If we aren't concerned about whether something is actually feasible, I'd also like a monorail to every park and a bullet train to the beach. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I thought that this was dealing with reality, so I mistakenly thought feasibility would certainly be a part of the question. If we aren't concerned about whether something is actually feasible, I'd also like a monorail to every park and a bullet train to the beach. Thanks.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The near-unanimous results don't surprise me. But Disney knew that going in and still decided against it. Unless it makes sense financially, they won't do it.

Walking to Mara may take time. Eating at a theme park restaurant may be inconvenient. And paying more for Sanaa may be expensive. But all of those options still put $$$ in Disney's pockets without the hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in added overhead required to operate another restaurant.

Seems like the better odds would be getting breakfast added to Sanaa. But that's also the easiest meal to eat in a DVC Villa. That certainly works against them from a financial perspective. Perhaps after the resort is fully-open. :confused3

The lack of a counter service for coffee and a muffin or bagel in the morning is my one apprehension about our January upcoming stay at Kidani. We are staying in a studio. In the mornings, we tend to enjoy going to a quick counter service restaurant to get a light breakfast. Gets me out of the room and moving! If I make a pot of coffee in the room, I'll be sitting there for an hour drinking coffee before I even think about showering and heading for the parks.

DH and DD have discovered the depriving me of coffee until after I have showered and dressed makes me move much faster in the mornings!

The near-unanimous results don't surprise me. But Disney knew that going in and still decided against it. Unless it makes sense financially, they won't do it.
Though more eating options would be nice, hasn't it always been DVC's objective to put CS only in hotels. SSR, OKW and now Kidani were never destined for it. BWV, WLV, AKV (Jambo) only benefit because of the lodge & the inn. People who stay in hotels have no dining options, as opposed to people who vacation in villas w/ kitchen, microwaves & fridges.

So, though it would be nice to have, I don't beleive it's going to happen.

We do the simple dinning plan and this time we will mkae something for breakfast cereal, sandwhich, a lite thing then in the early afternoon get a CS meal at Mara if doing pool time. Why is it a problem to walk 10 minutes at the resort but not in the park? if it is that bad take the bus.
Lexi

If we aren't concerned about whether something is actually feasible, I'd also like a monorail to every park and a bullet train to the beach. Thanks.

Must be one of the "7" no votes.

Relax!
Once we get this counter service problem taken care of, we'll work on your monorail issues!

I could settle for better breakfast options being available in the gift shop. And what I mean by that are some nice pastries, muffins, bagel, ect. I think this is helpful when you are on the dining plan and want to use some snack credits for breakfast items. I think there must be a way to accomplish this without opening an entire CS area. I was find going to Mara for lunch because it basically meant I was not in a rush to get anywhere. But I didn't feel like going to the Mara for breakfast items. And, yes, I had food in my villa, but I wanted something other than cereal.

Don't really think we'd want or need it. Anything that we need, we will pick up at a grocery store off property or order from wegoshop ahead of time. Last minute stuff we can always pick up at the gift shop, no big deal if it's like the gift shops at other resorts. We either eat in the room or "out" in the parks. ;)

I am all for a counter service/quick service option at Kidani. This past trip we probably wouldn't have used it very much. We were finishing up our year with an AP and had the TIW, so we did more TS meals this time than we probably will in the future, and therefore we did more meals in the room to offset. Also, everyone was hungry at different times due to timing and amount of food at TS, so it was easier to have a lot of choices in the fridge.

However, when we stayed at Jambo over New Year's, we ate at Mara probably 4 or 5 times because we didn't have but a couple of TS meals planned. When we return to Kidani, we probably will do fewer TS meals next time, and a QS/CS option works well, especially for breakfast. But when you are spending time at the resort or out at the pool, the ability to grab a burger, or sandwich, etc. is a great option to have. The cold, pre-made options at the pool just weren't very appealing.

As for having to make changes to the resort to add a CS/QS option, why does everyone think they will have to remove something that is currently there, like the library? We are talking Disney Imagineers, here. They can easily design something that fits in without having to remove anything. There is ample space near (behind) the pool bar, or other areas to at least add something without impacting the look or feel of the current resort, even if it only has limited or no seating.

What is DVC thinking or not thinking? Clearly a counter service option at Kidani made all the sense in the world. You don't need an MBA in hospitality management to see that. Then they make the big deal of calling people and saying "We care about your opinion, thanks for emailing in" I emailed my thoughts and got the same call. Are you really telling me with all their resort expertise they are now surprised that people so overwhelmingly want that option? It maybe spilled milk for Kidani now, what about the next resort they build. I think this shows in the end upper management really doesn't care about member opinions, maybe the rank and file does. If they did this never would of happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter