kid summer businesses...

I'm in the process of trying to figure out the HOA situation. I'm struggling with the city issue.
The HOA issue will come down to two issues in my mind, Liability and Setting a Precedence. Having sat on my HOA board I would be leery of both of those items and for many HOAs its easier to say no and not have to dig into all the details or set policy. The questions of do they allow others, do they bid this out, what happens if people complain, all are reasonable things that volunteers on an HOA don't want to deal with.

For the City call the Cities Business Licensing department, they should be able to tell you what, if any, steps you need to go through. They should be able to tell you if you need to talk with the Health Department or not. An example of why the Health Department gets involved is you sell a can of soda that has been immersed in ice. The cooler isn't cleaned, and sanitized and after a few days can begin to grow mold. That mold comes in contact with the soda can and gets transmitted. Bingo.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept and giving kids an entrepreneurial spirit. But there are considerations.

Also do talk with your agent to make sure your Insurance will cover you, Umbrella policy or not. Kudos for having one, most don't and they are a cheap item to add to protect you.

They're not necessarily the bad guys, but come on.....most HOA's are rigid, their way or the highway and not really very in tune of the needs/wants of the association of which they represent.

That has totally not been my experience. My experience has been everyone trying to avoid being on the HOA or even attend meetings because it's a pain in the butt - but it's necessary to keep them going in order to have jointly owned services.

They're not necessarily the bad guys, but come on.....most HOA's are rigid, their way or the highway and not really very in tune of the needs/wants of the association of which they represent.
I will agree and disagree. I lived in an HOA that probably took lessons from the Gestapo. However, I've sat on my local HOA for two years and it was an eye opening experience. Sadly some that serve have an agenda, but for the most part they are there to follow the CC&Rs and keep the neighborhood property values up. I would encourage you to volunteer so you can see what goes on.

Agree with all the others that HOA probably won’t allow it. I’d assume most people know there is no stand and take their own treats to the pool anyway. A $5 minimum is a big amount. I also dislike kids selling stuff at exits and entrances to places- don’t like saying no but if I don’t need or want that’s my answer.

Is there something else they could do- walk dogs, pet sit, etc?

I will agree and disagree. I lived in an HOA that probably took lessons from the Gestapo. However, I've sat on my local HOA for two years and it was an eye opening experience. Sadly some that serve have an agenda, but for the most part they are there to follow the CC&Rs and keep the neighborhood property values up. I would encourage you to volunteer so you can see what goes on.
I served my HOA back in the early to mid 90's, which is precisely why I said what I said. And when I'm in SoFlo, I attend as many owner meetings of my mother's HOA that time allows, I usually get to 2-3 a year, and they put Del Boca Vista to SHAME.

The even tried tried to raise fees on snowbirds (300 units total, 30 units live year round). My dad told them that if it wasn't for the snowbirds, they can kiss their oceanfront condo living good bye, he told them that snowbirds pretty much subsidize their fees. Just a bunch of bullies in the Boca one. Mine too in the city one (Chicago),

I hear what you're saying, but for the most part they're not very bendy.

We think the only thing they will need to get at first are: change, cash box, credit card processor and cash box. We already own everything else.
What about bank account? Have you set up an account where the Square will deposit the money? We have a square for our non-profit. You have to have a bank account attached to it. Or are you planning to deposit it into your account? If you are, will you be claiming the taxable income at your % rate? The profit will be small, but there might be tax liability to you.

In order for us to have public sales, we had to have permission from the HOA to sell on their property, had to have a business permit from the town and then also had to have a health certificate from the county since we were selling food even with only selling prepackaged food.
Check with your state, too. If you pay meal or sales tax on food for immediate consumption, your kids might have to collect and submit taxes.

Texas just passed a lemonade stand law. Don’t know if it applies to packaged things.
As far as location, you can set up a stand in front of your house, but you will need hoa permission to set up by the pool.

My dd sells Girl Scout cookies and the rules governing that are similar. We can set up a booth in front of our house, but can’t set up booths anywhere else without land owner or building owner permission. You can sell via a wagon and go door to door.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...ll-declaring-childrens-lemonade-stands-legal/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter