Keys to the Kingdom vs. Backstage Magic tour

ckelly14

DIS Veteran
Going to WDW from July 14-17 for work related meetings but have a significant amount of free time. Thinking about the above tours, both of which are offered on July 15. Leaning towards KttK tour, since I'm more interested in the Magic Kingdom, and it's cheaper and shorter, and would have more time to tour afterwards. Interested in hearing opinions from those that have been on them.

I have taken both tours multiple times. Both are excellent. Backstage is obviously most of the day, Keys quite a bit shorter. I think it really is a matter of time and money as to which works best for you. One park vs. 4 parks and a bit more. A lot of the areas covered in Keys are also covered in Backstage, so there is overlap.

Don't forget the discounts....AP, DVC and Disney Visa, all 15%.

I have done both as well and both have their advantages. As Dan said, backstage does cover a lot of what keys does so you get the biggest bang for your buck from it. We did it on a day that we hadn't really thought to plan anything else so we got sort of front of the line passes for rides in all the parks and a decent lunch. If I had only one day, I'd do backstage since you are going to get to go to multiple parks.

I've done both and I preferred the KttK tour, especially if you're just interested in MK. It lasted until about 1pm or so (I had the 8am tour), then I had the rest of the day at the park. Both tours take you down into the utilidors. You do not get to see the maintenance building on the KttK tour, but you do get to see the floats and where they are maintained. I really don't think you can go wrong with either tour.

Just booked the KttK tour. Thanks for all the advice!

Dan: Trying the Grand Floridian for this short trip. We'll see how it compares to our Swan and Dolphin. Really appreciate all the info since you took over that thread!

Note that you do need a park ticket for KttK but not for Backstage. It doesn't look like that's an issue for you, but I wanted to point it out anyways.

I see you already booked, but just to add. I've done both and I enjoyed the KttK tour a little more. The backstage was good, but it could have been better. First issue was when we were back stage at American Adventure. Our tour guide referred to Susan B. Anthony as Betsy Ross. Betsy Ross died when Susan B. Anthony was 16. Two totally different women - both great figures in American History. We all corrected her very quickly. Second was you were on the bus, off the bus, on the bus, off the bus. Third for the money you paid it really didn't feel special or VIP. That's really my own issue. Fourth it would have been cool to have a mechanic or service guy come talk to us about Tower of Terror and the what his/her typical day is. It was cool to see the "ride cars" up close, but it lacked. And lastly our tour guide was just not that into it. There was no excitement or enthusiasm from her.

Side note: Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour is another great tour and at only $35 it's a steal. I did this for my 39th bday and we got to see the HM Ballroom scene from under the track. It was awesome. It was funny we were not allowed to cross a white line because we would show up as ghost on the ride. They said a maintenance worker stepped over that line and freaked the guests riding above out.

I see you already booked, but just to add. I've done both and I enjoyed the KttK tour a little more. The backstage was good, but it could have been better. First issue was when we were back stage at American Adventure. Our tour guide referred to Susan B. Anthony as Betsy Ross. Betsy Ross died when Susan B. Anthony was 16. Two totally different women - both great figures in American History. We all corrected her very quickly. Second was you were on the bus, off the bus, on the bus, off the bus. Third for the money you paid it really didn't feel special or VIP. That's really my own issue. Fourth it would have been cool to have a mechanic or service guy come talk to us about Tower of Terror and the what his/her typical day is. It was cool to see the "ride cars" up close, but it lacked. And lastly our tour guide was just not that into it. There was no excitement or enthusiasm from her.

Side note: Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour is another great tour and at only $35 it's a steal. I did this for my 39th bday and we got to see the HM Ballroom scene from under the track. It was awesome. It was funny we were not allowed to cross a white line because we would show up as ghost on the ride. They said a maintenance worker stepped over that line and freaked the guests riding above out.

This was exactly my thought when I read a description of backstage magic. Thanks!

You seldom hear any bad reviews of the tours at WDW, this seems to be an area where they've really achieved the golden Disney standard. For a first-timer, I'd go with the shorter tour. The lower price is nice, and if your party aren't true devotees, I could see the information starting to wear thin after a few hours. If your group are Disney die-hards (who me?) then go for it! :earsboy:

My sister surprised me with Backstage Magic for my birthday a few years back and it was one of my favorite experiences

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter