Keyboard/mouse for an iPad?

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
This may seem strange, but I'm looking for recommendations for a add-on keyboard/mouse (or decent mouse-type device) for an iPad.

We are investigating the possibility at work of a couple of us getting iPads to use in place of laptops as we are pretty much on call all the time, and don't want to have to lug around the laptops everywhere.

Although the virtual keyboard works well, when we are dealing with big issues screen real estate and keyboard functionality are VERY important.

They keyboard should obviously be portable, the more portable the better, and should have all the standard computer keys - ctrl, alt, esc, etc.

The mouse would be so we don't have to keep reaching up to touch the screen :)

Primarily this will be used to remote desktop into windows systems, as well as ssh to Linux systems.

I haven't really looked at mice, but for keyboards you have two options.

1) You can buy the iPad camera connection kit and connect any USB keyboard, or

2) get something like the Kensington KeyFolio, which is a folio case for the iPad with a built-in keyboard. I've seen 3 or 4 of these (different brands) and they're pretty skinny.

Personally, I'd go with the camera kit and the skinniest keyboard I could find, so you didn't have to carry the keyboard everywhere...

Bill

You can buy any Bluetooth compatible keyboard and or mouse. The Apple keyboard and mouse may be more fitting since you are using an iPad, but its only cosmetic.

If you don't mind the extra expense this would be handy as well in your application:

http://usa.luxa2.com/product_gallery.aspx?s=15

You can buy any Bluetooth compatible keyboard and or mouse. The Apple keyboard and mouse may be more fitting since you are using an iPad, but its only cosmetic.

If you don't mind the extra expense this would be handy as well in your application:

http://usa.luxa2.com/product_gallery.aspx?s=15

That's why I'm looking for recommendations :)

The stand is nice, but looks like it's fixed shape and therefore not suitable for tossing in a bag :)

Has anyone even used a mouse with an iPad? Does it just work as expected?

I have a folding keyboard that bought originally for my Blackberry that works great with my IPAD. No mouse yet. I just use a stylus. I am doing the same as you, SSH, RDP, VNC, Citrix...

My friend has a portfolio case with a built in keyboard from Brookstone. It looks pretty handy.

From all that I've read there is no mouse support on an iPad.

This may seem strange, but I'm looking for recommendations for a add-on keyboard/mouse (or decent mouse-type device) for an iPad.

We are investigating the possibility at work of a couple of us getting iPads to use in place of laptops as we are pretty much on call all the time, and don't want to have to lug around the laptops everywhere.

Although the virtual keyboard works well, when we are dealing with big issues screen real estate and keyboard functionality are VERY important.

They keyboard should obviously be portable, the more portable the better, and should have all the standard computer keys - ctrl, alt, esc, etc.

The mouse would be so we don't have to keep reaching up to touch the screen :)

Primarily this will be used to remote desktop into windows systems, as well as ssh to Linux systems.

I am a dedicated member of iPad nation, so I may lose my citizenship for saying this, but here goes....

Have you looked into using netbooks? If you're mainly remote desktopping into Windows and sshing into Linux, that wouldn't require much processing power (I think?), so maybe you could get the portability you're looking for in a netbook rather than a tablet. That would also get you some sort of built-in pointing device or a handy USB port to attach a mouse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make nice with Arthur and Merlin (my iPad and iPhone respectively), because they're looking at me like I've cheated on them or something.

I am a dedicated member of iPad nation, so I may lose my citizenship for saying this, but here goes....

Have you looked into using netbooks? If you're mainly remote desktopping into Windows and sshing into Linux, that wouldn't require much processing power (I think?), so maybe you could get the portability you're looking for in a netbook rather than a tablet. That would also get you some sort of built-in pointing device or a handy USB port to attach a mouse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make nice with Arthur and Merlin (my iPad and iPhone respectively), because they're looking at me like I've cheated on them or something.

There are a couple of netbook/Android tablets around here, but the application maturity in a few cases seems better on the iPad. I do have a Droid 2 that I can use ssh, RDP, VNC, etc. on but as I said the screen area is important for this.

And hey, if I can get an iPad for general use out of this... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter