Key West w/ Kids

TXspartan

Earning My Ears
Heading to key west on the wonder and looking for recommendations for things to do with kids? traveling with another family and have kids 8 -10's.

Doesn't look like there are any must do excursions through DCL, so looking for ideas on what to do on a Key West Stop. Thx

We were there last year and had a blast renting an electric car and just driving around the city. We stopped at the most southern point and took pictures, went to the Hemingway house and played with the 20+ cats that lived there. (My 8 year old loves cats). We finally went to the beach and watched the kite surfers jump the waves. All this in our little electric car. It was a blast and probably the highlight of the entire trip. Then we headed back towards port and ate some key lime pie. Yum!

The butterfly place. Forget the name. Frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. If they are adventurous, grab a basket of conch fritters.

We were on the magic last year and we have 3 kids. 10, 6 and 5. We decided to visit the butterfly conservatory on Duvall street. The kids loved it. Since its close to the southernmost point we stopped there as well. After those two stops we went to Kermit's for key lime pie and key lime dipped chocolate.

We pre-purchased trolley tickets through Groupon and used this to get around the city. The first stop is an easy walk from the ship. We then stopped at the butterfly conservatory, walked over to the Southern Point, then took the trolley to see Hemmingway's House (didn't tour it), grabbed lunch, then rode the trolley all around the loop to see Key West before getting off and doing a little shopping back by the port. We had six kids with us ages 8-14 and they all enjoyed it very much! One stop was by a nice beach and if we had the time, I would have gone here.

We were there Jan 1 with our 11yo and 8yo. We bought trolley tix and also went to the aquarium. A couple of notes if you do the trolley - don't buy the trolley tix via DCL in advance. You'll get charged "Disney adult" prices for the 10yo children. When you get off the ship, you'll literally walk right past the trolley ticket stand, and they never sell out of tickets b/c it's a hop-on/hop-off thing. I wanted to play it by ear so I didn't buy a groupon in advance or anything, assuming I could do so on my phone when we were there, but I had spotty service. DH and I enjoyed the trolley narration for the history, architecture, plant info, but my kids thought it was boring. We actually didn't even make it all the way around. I consulted the map and we hopped off, walked to a different stop nearby that was closer to the end of the route, and rode it back to the beginning. YMMV but my kids wouldn't want to do it again. I think I oversold it b/c the "trolley" was pretty much a bus, which wasn't that exciting to them either.

They both really enjoyed the aquarium, which is right on the water. It's small, but it's SO close to the ship and easy. They had sting-rays, a touch pool, rescued sea turtles, etc. The sea turtles were the most interesting part for my kids, reading about how they lost a flipper, etc. It was more personal than other aquariums we've been to, and I wasn't expecting much b/c we used to live near the National Aquarium in Baltimore, but we all enjoyed it. We were there maybe an hour, hit the attached gift shop for souvenirs, grabbed an espresso nearby, and headed back to the ship after a quick stop at CVS for prosecco.

Don't overplan, whatever you do. My kids thought it was too hot. On Jan 1! And we currently live in Phoenix. The humidity is something! We didn't stay ashore nearly as long as I originally planned.

The area around Mallory Square (near where many cruise ships dock) feels very family friendly to us. Lots of sights to see, shops to visit, and a museum. Something not mentioned much, but could be fun: head north from Mallory a few blocks and you'll come to the boat docks (you follow front street, then you'll see it). Lots of interesting yachts to look at, you can walk right by them. Don't worry about getting lost, can't be done, a good part of town, and just head back after you've seen them. A good place for key lime pie on a stick.

We haven't rented the electric carts yet, but they look like an absolute blast. We've seen several places in the Mallory Square area that have them for rent.

If you go by the Hemingway house, even in you don't go in, look through the fence and see how many cats you can count.

PLAIN Key Lime Pie (they do have GF Key Lime Pie at the Key Lime Pie Company!!)!!!

I love chocolate and I love Key Lime Pie - but NEVER should the two mix!! :P

Key West is a very walkable town, and so if your kids are good walkers there's no need to rent transportation unless you want to. As others have mentioned the aquarium and butterfly Conservatory are very nice. Check at the tourist info kiosks when you get to Mallory Square, find a good deal on tickets.

We went parasailing and the kids loved it! After that, we just walked around Mallory Square and shopped for a while.

It was so hot and we walked past a Ripleys Believe it or Not. I only agreed to it because I needed to be cool. The kids thought it was one of the best things we ever did. We also rented bikes, but did it ourselves, not through Disney. We had a difficult time finding a suitable bike path, but it was way cheaper to do on our own.

We like to just walk around and shop near where the boat docks. Also last year there was a food stand right in front of the aquarium that had great conch fritters. We bought a bunch and sat on the street and watched the rooster that always seems to be wandering around that area. We like to keep it pretty laid back in Key West.

Heading to key west on the wonder and looking for recommendations for things to do with kids? traveling with another family and have kids 8 -10's.

Doesn't look like there are any must do excursions through DCL, so looking for ideas on what to do on a Key West Stop. Thx
My kids enjoyed walking up and down Duval Street. We window shopped, stopped at the Southernmost point, Southernmost Beach, and had a bite to eat and a drink at Sloppy Joe's where we listened to a band. Key West is a great place with kids!

I would not pay for an excursion, just walk around. There is a lot to see and there can be multiple ships in port at the same time.

We visit KW at least twice a year and the activities already listed are good choices. I'll offer another: The Mel Fisher Maritime Museum is a fascinating place. If you belong to your cruises social media group/group thread and have a group of folks interested, you can secure a group rate for tix. Also, sometimes Living Social or Groupon, etc. will have discount tix.

My boys enjoyed the Hemingway house, the Mel Fisher museum, and we always go to Kermit's for souvenirs and snacks. They have a little patio out back with a couple tables, a koi pond and orchids. It is a fantastic spot to take a little break. If you want to mail postcards, the post office is an easy walk from the ship too.

We were there last year and had a blast renting an electric car and just driving around the city. We stopped at the most southern point and took pictures, went to the Hemingway house and played with the 20+ cats that lived there. (My 8 year old loves cats). We finally went to the beach and watched the kite surfers jump the waves. All this in our little electric car. It was a blast and probably the highlight of the entire trip. Then we headed back towards port and ate some key lime pie. Yum!

Did you book the Electric car in advance or after you arrived? would you recommend the company you used?

We stopped at the most southern point and took pictures, went to the Hemingway house and played with the 20+ cats that lived there. (My 8 year old loves cats).

55 cats! And they got through the hurricane. The staff stayed behind with them.

55 cats! And they got through the hurricane. The staff stayed behind with them.

Thanks for the tips, heard the port is closed for Irma cleanup....

Probably going to hold off booking anything until more news about when the port is opening back up. For the electric cars are those easy to rent after you dock or do they need to be pre booked?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter