Kevin's California Grill review

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
Hi Kevin,

I just listened to the July 31 podcast and heard your CG review.

You hit it EXACTLY. That was our experience. And the reason i said it was the only restaurant at WDW that i have ever truly hated.

In fact, you used the word that we use when we talk about it - pretentious...
or rather, their attempt to be pretentious...

it was completely ridiculous... just as you described in your review, we had the feeling that they thought they should be acting in a particular way because it's an expensive restaurant.....i'll say it again, ridiculous....

the food wasn't even the issue for us, but their very strange pseudo haughty behavior...
as if that's what makes a restaurant special...

and yes, we had male CMs....in fact, when we were there, i didn't see any women servers working there....

such an unpleasant experience, i doubt i would go there again, even for a complimentary meal........about a thousand thumbs down from us....

spot on Kevin - exactly the experience we had there.....

Should I cancel our Ressie for the end of Sept there?

I know you're asking Kevin this question, but i'll answer you anyway...

no, i don't think you should cancel your reservation...

one man's junk is another man's treasure....

you may love it....

the truth is, I always thought we were the only people in the world who didn't like the CG....
everyone i know who's eaten there, loves it.....

so maybe you will too....

and it does have a beautiful view...

and just because i didn't like it, doesn't mean you won't....maybe you'll love it...

My friend and I did CG last year . . . and I am glad I got to experience it. We had a window view and it was gorgeous . . . BUT Kevin's review is dead on. The minute our waiter found out we didn't want any alcohol, he became very aloof . . . Give me a break!! The sushi was excellent, but the rest of the food was okay - not bad, but not special - and it was very loud. I will say, in all fairness, there was another waiter there, I wish I could remember his name, who was so pleasant and fun. He started teasing my friend and I about being there without our hubbies; he was so much more personable . . . :love:

DW and I ate there last month.

We didn't find anything about it "pretentious".

We don't do "fine dining" or anything like that. This was just for a special anniversary dinner.

Everything was good. Food, service, etc. We each had a mudslide to drink, but we don't drink wine. I wouldn't say spectacular, but good. The staff was very personable. Maybe because when I checked in, after two coupled right in front of me asking about window seating "because its our..." whatever, and the CM saying they'd do what they can but everyone asks, I opened the conversation with "I'm not even going to ask." :) I knew we could -and did - go to the balcony for Wishes, and the waitress had our (pre-ordered) anniversary cake ready for us.

So it just goes to show that experiences differ. It may be different days, different staff, different expectations.

Now, if the head chef of Coral Reef got wind of your crabcake review, maybe they'll improve by the time of our December Candlelight Processional ADR :) DMiL and DFiL are seafood lovers, so we bowed to their desire...

P.S. our server was female...but the nearby male waiter seemed as attentive to others...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

What I do is a form of entertainment. I give my opinion.

Some have listened to me carry on enough and are able to say....hey....I usually agree with him, maybe I'll consider his opinion about this or that.

Others might think..."what's this loon talking about...I love sad, little, crabcakes served by pretentious, teeth sucking, female impersonators who look like they should be loading the Haunted Mansion. I would never listen to a word he says. He's CRAZY."

We are talking about a restaurant review after all and not my opinion of whether or not you need a new kidney.

Go and make your own decision.....but keep in mind that I'm watching you... and you were warned....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kevin

I totally agree with you Kevin. Everyone SHOULD come up with their own opinion. I do place stock in yours, but I also know that results differ (as anyone who reads these boards will know). I'm a bit apprehensive of Coral Reef, but I will give any restaurant one chance. If it fails me, based on that and your review, we will never eat there again. We have other, safer choices.

Mind you, I do NOT plan on ordering the crabcake... :)

I posted only because we ate there recently, and we did not have the same experience as the OP. Yet I also don't expect my experience or perception to be the same as anyone else's. That kind of makes it hard for me to write reviews.

I had a dinner there in May and the sushi was excellent as was most of the meal.

Our server was a woman and was not offended when we refused alcohol. She offered us several bottle waters instead and they were included on the dining plan.

My HUGE complaint was the table itself! Not the location mind you but the table. It was a very nice window front square table with cloth linens COVERED IN WHITE PAPER!:mad:

I found the paper irritatingly casual and rough on my wrists. It just felt horrid.

I plan on returning in Sept but I am asking that they remove the paper topper before I am seated.:cool1:

Has anyone else noticed this?

My family and I ate there in June and loved it. We sat at the Sushi Bar and had a terrific meal. Yoshi, the Sushi Chef, has been there forever and is world renowned as one of the few female Sushi Chefs. Yoshi, as well as our male waiter were outstanding!

The food was very good; I would absolutely go back again. If you have ressies don't cancel as this is not only one of the best restaurants in WDW but in Florida period.

Keep in mind as Kevin constantly reminds us that his review is just a snapshot in time. His experience may be totally different than someone else sitting down at the table next to him.

The California Grill for my family is a must do each time we visit WDW.

Dennis-popcorn::

That story has yet to be told.... I will tell it here, but please keep in mind that this was years ago. My recent experience was much different and things have changed drastically.

My folks were still doing the "snow bird" thing and only coming to Florida in the winter. I was living here full time. My Dad's birthday is in July and he is at the age where he doesnt really need any more stuff so I decided that I would treat him to a dinner at the California Grill. I dont remember the reason, but at the time the CG did not take Disney Dollars and you had a to buy a special gift certificate directly from them.

I was told that they did sell gift certificates but the person who wrote them out only answered her phone between 9:00am and 9:20am and that some days she didnt answer at all. It two weeks to get her on the phone but I finally purchased a $100 gift certificate. Keep in mind that this was in April.

I mailed the gift certificate to my Dad for his birthday and all was well.

He actually held onto his certificate until February of the next year and decided to use in conjunction with my Mom's birthday. Thinking that this had come full circle, I made a reservation for 7 people.

We arrived at the restuarant and were told that we would have to split up into two tables. As I had had this reservation for three months, I asked to speak to the manager. After much pearl clutching and exagerated sighing, she deemed us worthy of the coveted table suitable for 7.

Our server approached our table and before greeting us stated, "I hope you are not expecting much. I have the flu and a sever headache and should be home." I asked if we could get another server and he said no...he would do the best he could.

He brought our bread to the table and it was a half order of bread. My mom asked if we could get some more as there were 7 of us. He asked her how many more pieces she wanted. She explained that she wanted enough for everyone. He asked her how much that would be as "the chef keeps track of the bread and counts the pieces." she told him she wanted 13 pieces (not sure where that came from). He went in the back and cut 5 pieces of bread into 13 pieces. I swear I'm not making this up.

Still trying to salvage the evening...we ordered. I ordered scallops. There were 3 on the plate and they were still frozen inside. My Mom ordered chicken which tasted of lighter fluid and another family member ordered steak medium well and it was a bloody mess. I actually had to get up and look around the restaurant for our server and ask him to come back to the table. I explained the problem with the scallops and was told..."thats how Chef prepares them". I asked if that was because he was busy counting bread?

Needless to say, the scallops came back burned, the chicken came back under done and the steak was now an old Birkenstock sandal. I had really tried to make this a memorable evening and it was...for the wrong reasons.

I asked to speak to the useless manager who was of no help whatsoever.

I asked for the bill and when we went to pay, my Dad included the gift certificate as he was NEVER coming back. The manager came back to the table with one bill for the entire amount. When asked why she didnt take off the $100 for the gift certificate she stated that they never actually charge for the gift certificate. She wanted to know "what would happen if they ordered more than $100 worth of stuff." She stated that they just give the gift certificate and then charge the original credit card for the entire amount. That way the recipient isnt out any money.

I paid the bill and was on the phone the very next morning with the general manager of the Contemporary. My credit card was credited for the entire amount and I received a letter in the mail inviting four people back for a complimentary meal.

I had not been back until this recent visit for the purposes of reviewing it for the podcast.

That story has yet to be told.... I will tell it here, but please keep in mind that this was years ago. My recent experience was much different and things have changed drastically.

My folks were still doing the "snow bird" thing and only coming to Florida in the winter. I was living here full time. My Dad's birthday is in July and he is at the age where he doesnt really need any more stuff so I decided that I would treat him to a dinner at the California Grill. I dont remember the reason, but at the time the CG did not take Disney Dollars and you had a to buy a special gift certificate directly from them.

I was told that they did sell gift certificates but the person who wrote them out only answered her phone between 9:00am and 9:20am and that some days she didnt answer at all. It two weeks to get her on the phone but I finally purchased a $100 gift certificate. Keep in mind that this was in April.

I mailed the gift certificate to my Dad for his birthday and all was well.

He actually held onto his certificate until February of the next year and decided to use in conjunction with my Mom's birthday. Thinking that this had come full circle, I made a reservation for 7 people.

We arrived at the restuarant and were told that we would have to split up into two tables. As I had had this reservation for three months, I asked to speak to the manager. After much pearl clutching and exagerated sighing, she deemed us worthy of the coveted table suitable for 7.

Our server approached our table and before greeting us stated, "I hope you are not expecting much. I have the flu and a sever headache and should be home." I asked if we could get another server and he said no...he would do the best he could.

He brought our bread to the table and it was a half order of bread. My mom asked if we could get some more as there were 7 of us. He asked her how many more pieces she wanted. She explained that she wanted enough for everyone. He asked her how much that would be as "the chef keeps track of the bread and counts the pieces." she told him she wanted 13 pieces (not sure where that came from). He went in the back and cut 5 pieces of bread into 13 pieces. I swear I'm not making this up.

Still trying to salvage the evening...we ordered. I ordered scallops. There were 3 on the plate and they were still frozen inside. My Mom ordered chicken which tasted of lighter fluid and another family member ordered steak medium well and it was a bloody mess. I actually had to get up and look around the restaurant for our server and ask him to come back to the table. I explained the problem with the scallops and was told..."thats how Chef prepares them". I asked if that was because he was busy counting bread?

Needless to say, the scallops came back burned, the chicken came back under done and the steak was now an old Birkenstock sandal. I had really tried to make this a memorable evening and it was...for the wrong reasons.

I asked to speak to the useless manager who was of no help whatsoever.

I asked for the bill and when we went to pay, my Dad included the gift certificate as he was NEVER coming back. The manager came back to the table with one bill for the entire amount. When asked why she didnt take off the $100 for the gift certificate she stated that they never actually charge for the gift certificate. She wanted to know "what would happen if they ordered more than $100 worth of stuff." She stated that they just give the gift certificate and then charge the original credit card for the entire amount. That way the recipient isnt out any money.

I paid the bill and was on the phone the very next morning with the general manager of the Contemporary. My credit card was credited for the entire amount and I received a letter in the mail inviting four people back for a complimentary meal.

OMG!!!! :eek: You know it is a bad story, when half way through you have to swear you are not making it up. Look on the bright side, it makes for a heck of a story! Oh, and your chef counting the bread comment was hilarious:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kevin,

That story sounds like it would make a hilarious episode of Seinfeld!

Anyway, I really appreciate your reviews. My wife and I have ADR's for Ohana's (never been there) this weekend as part of our WDW vacation. And even though you don't care for Ohana's, we're going to give it a whirl anyway...there are just too many people who love it to just skip it. I used your review, as well as some other DIS reviews to learn a few things and to hopefully make our expectations a bit more reasonable. I'm definitely one of those who has to try it myself. I'll definitely follow up with a review of my own.

Thanks again Kevin, you and the rest of the team are a treasure to those of us who truly love Disney (with a level head, that is :rolleyes1 ).

Looking forward to tomorrow's Podcast!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

What I do is a form of entertainment. I give my opinion.

Kevin

and it is indeed very entertaining!!

i can't believe you went back to the CG after that first experience....
as someone said, an episode of seinfeld...
the bread is classic.......
i think i would have walked out at that point...at the prices they charge, they should give you an entire loaf........

Hey it could have been worse...the server could have used his bare, flu-infested hands to rip the bread into the desired number of pieces right before your eyes! :teeth:

I made the mistake of offering my travelling companions a choice between CG and Narcoosees. They chose CG. I'm dreading it. To make matters worse Wishes was moved up from 9 to 8 that night and we have a 7:30 reservation. I'm dreading waiting an hour in some cattle pen while table hogs refuse to leave and then finally getting a table (though if it really is an hour we'll have been long gone by then) and getting Lurch (I'll be your server tonight...)

I made the mistake of offering my travelling companions a choice between CG and Narcoosees. They chose CG. I'm dreading it. To make matters worse Wishes was moved up from 9 to 8 that night and we have a 7:30 reservation. I'm dreading waiting an hour in some cattle pen while table hogs refuse to leave and then finally getting a table (though if it really is an hour we'll have been long gone by then) and getting Lurch (I'll be your server tonight...)

If you go in dreading it, you may create a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have gone to CG several times, and never had a bad experience. Ever. Nor have I had a bad meal. One of my most memorable Christmas dinners was there. So like Kevin says, his review was based on ONE meal, ONE moment in time. And although I'm sure he tried to remain unbiased on his last experience, I'm sure the previous experience would have colored his attitude upon entering, and just MAYBE the waiter was not as animated as he might otherwise have been. Not saying this definitely occurred, just consider the possibility.

As for Wishes, they have always let me up to see the fireworks on the deck, even if my actual seating had to be delayed, so please don't be concerned about missing Wishes. You wouldn't have been guaranteed a window seat anyway, and would have wanted to go on the deck to see the fireworks if you were seated inconveniently. Count on the probability of viewing from the deck, and enjoy your experience!

I think its interesting how people hear what they want to hear from Kevin’s reviews. He said that the food that was ordered directly from the menu was “pretty spectacular”. To read some of the comments in here, you would think he trashed the place.

The California Grill is what it is. I am going in October. I know I am going to pay $40 for a $20 steak, but I am ok with that because of the incredible setting and a view of Hallowishes that you can’t get anywhere else.

Quinn222 Kevin stated in his review they will let you back up for the fireworks if you have eaten there. Ask about that.

The foods not bad it's just overpriced.

I am sure it wont be as bad as Kevin's frozen scallops, they have improved!

Kevin That does sound like a Seinfeld episode.....you could not make that stuff up though. Oh man!!

Glad you went back, I enjoyed your review.

DH and I have gone every year for the past 4 years (except this year but not because of your review, we want to try something different) We went there because we heard rave reviews of the sushi, we live in southern Indiana and the sushi here is "mediocre" we had a good time and enjoyed being pretentious :confused3 :rotfl: no - really, I like the view and that is it and that is why they can charge what they do.

The food is good, but overpriced...but just like Kevin said you are paying for the view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter