Kennedy Space Center one day or two?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I went as a young child and loved KSC and now want to take my girls. I'm a space fanatic and could easily spend a week and not get my fill. One of my girls is interested in space and the other can take it or leave it. I want to go before the cruise and worry they'll be too excited about the cruise to enjoy two days, but I also worry that 1 day will be a let down for me.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your ticket at the end of the day if you purchase only a one day ticket? That way I could upgrade the tickets just for those of us who want to do the second day while the other(s) hang out by the beach. They'll be 17 and 12 at cruise time if that helps.

Not sure. That might be a question better suited to a phone call to KSC directly. I know from personal experience, that they offer several behind the scenes tours now that they didn't before. 1 is to the firing rooms attached to the VAB another is up close and personal with a lot of the iconic bldgs. and restricted areas, and the last is the early space tour which goes over to Cape Canaveral and the missile museum over there. The way it stands now, yould need 2 days just to be able to do the add on bus tours and still see everything at the center.

We did it in one with a tour of the launch pad (the Shuttle was sitting on the pad at the time). That said, we did it with an 11-month old and didn't do absolutely everything they had to offer.
This was also in 2007, so things have probably changed.

It feels like one of those things that are 1.5 days depending on how important seeing all of it is.

We did it in one with a tour of the launch pad (the Shuttle was sitting on the pad at the time). That said, we did it with an 11-month old and didn't do absolutely everything they had to offer.
This was also in 2007, so things have probably changed.

It feels like one of those things that are 1.5 days depending on how important seeing all of it is.

That tour is part of your base ticket package. They still offer that one. It also stops at the Saturn 5 bldg., and observation tower. They've added a lot in the last 10 years.

We went in February and spent 1.5 days there. I feel we could have spent 2 full days there easily.
I'm not sure if you can upgrade while there though.

I was happy with only doing 1 day. But if you decide to do two, check into the 'lunch with an astronaut'. That might be interesting.

I was definitely happy only doing one day. Personally I was bored out of my mind and only interesting part I can remember was the shuttle hub or whatever they call it. Then again, I was 7 months pregnant, in the June heat, with a husband who wanted to spend every little second reading every little tiny piece of paper in EVERY CASE.... LOL...

So, if you like space, aren't 9 months pregnant and are genuinely interested in ALL it has to offer, then do the 2 days. :) Maybe call and see if after purchasing the 1 day, if you can upgrade to 2 day before a certain time frame goes by or something?

Helpful much? Probably not, but that's my 2-cents. :duck:

I was happy with only doing 1 day. But if you decide to do two, check into the 'lunch with an astronaut'. That might be interesting.

Lunch with an astronaut was great (in 2014). We did one very full day there. I felt it was enough for us. WithoposdiblyI could do 1.5 possibly.

I went as a young child and loved KSC and now want to take my girls. I'm a space fanatic and could easily spend a week and not get my fill. One of my girls is interested in space and the other can take it or leave it. I want to go before the cruise and worry they'll be too excited about the cruise to enjoy two days, but I also worry that 1 day will be a let down for me.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your ticket at the end of the day if you purchase only a one day ticket? That way I could upgrade the tickets just for those of us who want to do the second day while the other(s) hang out by the beach. They'll be 17 and 12 at cruise time if that helps.

If you have the option, do two days. They've added so much in just the past couple of years. Just the Atlantis exhibit can take hours, and now there is the new Hall of Fame (haven't been in yet -- we were there the day after it opened, and the line was out the door.)

If you're a shuttle nut like we are, bring tissues when you visit Atlantis. Whoever designed the exhibit needs all the awards. There's also a memorial in there to Challenger and Columbia -- VERY emotional!!! (If you want details, feel free to message me. I don't want to spoil it).

If you have the option, do two days. They've added so much in just the past couple of years. Just the Atlantis exhibit can take hours, and now there is the new Hall of Fame (haven't been in yet -- we were there the day after it opened, and the line was out the door.)

If you're a shuttle nut like we are, bring tissues when you visit Atlantis. Whoever designed the exhibit needs all the awards. There's also a memorial in there to Challenger and Columbia -- VERY emotional!!! (If you want details, feel free to message me. I don't want to spoil it).

My girls and I got to see the Shuttle Discovery in DC and I was in tears just getting to be that close to it. I know I won't have a problem with two days but don't want to force the girls when they are on vacation. We homeschool and sometimes I can be a bit too much in teacher mode no matter when and where.

I homeschool, too. I get it totally. We're spending the month before our cruise studying the places we're going (because how can you concentrate on pre-algebra when there's a CRUISE on the horizon????)

We saw Discovery after seeing Atlantis twice. Discovery was a bit underwhelming. You'll understand when you see it.

Word of advice -- when you see Atlantis, there are two films in two separate rooms. When they send you from the first room and film into the second room for the second film, get as close to the line up front as you can. Trust me. ;-)

I just noticed your countdown. I'd totally come meet you at KSC for a day if we weren't going to be on OUR cruise!

We bought 2 day passes and were done with it in a day. We loved it there but we had seen everything. I think crowd levels really dictate how much time you need. It was pretty empty when we were there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter