• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

K, so I'm not going back in Jan again.

The pics were of our trip two years ago (in January).

I definitely think the poor weather affected everything. I guess after 6 years straight going in January, I need to experience the world at a different time. I almost always get disappointed with the weather.

I have SAD, so being in sunlight is very important to me, and this year was just really hard at Disney. The short waits for the rides didn't make up for it for me I guess, but the kids didn't seem to mind the weather because they got to ride everything (that wasn't closed or broken) several times.

We were there the first week of Jan...80's in the day, 69/70 at night. But I know that we were just lucky. We are talking about going again next January but who can count on the weather???? I think we would have better luck going the first week of December, but then again, who knows? I just know I'll never go back in August...what was I thinking? That heat is unbearable!!! I'd rather risk being cold in January than experience a summer day in Orlando.

Mary

harvey said:
The weather was BAD, prolly worse than any other January we've been. But mostly, I was SO disappointed in the number of closed rides/attractions for refurbishment. Plus we had trouble with the fast pass machines, and several rides broke down just as we were ready to get on.

I find the whole reason I go is for the sun....even when it's cold in FL at least the sun usually shines. Not last week. I'm never been more miserable in DW. Rain, cold temps, wind. Blech. OUr whole family decided we're gonna wait a few years before going back, and then go a different time of the year. It just lost some magic and luster this year. THings seemed tired and old....I found myself wondering if Animal Kingdom will make it. We were stopped for mini-infomercials for different attractions from CM's just sorta standing around...as if they were trying to 'sell' the place.

Does anyone know what is up with all the refurb going on this year in particular? It's never been so bad.

I hope by waiting a few years before going back, we'll be able to catch the magic again. *sigh*

For the most part, much of what you described is exactly why I DO like WDW in January!

Very few kids, very small crowds, especially if the weather isn't very good. It's like having ht epark all to yourself! However, the absolute best is going in mid-September (after school restarts), when it's still warm, and it rains (not pours). After an hour or two of light showers, the parks clear. Throw on a poncho, and have a ball! Really, you're indoors for 80% of the time, anyway. The only time you get wet is in-between attractions. Plus, it's RAIN! It's not going to kill you. You can't "catch" anything from the rain. SO, it's a little inconvenient. I'd rather have that inconvenience than standing shoulder-to-shoulder with strangers like sardines in the hot sun for 2 hours to ride Splash Mountain.

Yeah, I know, it's great to have 80 degrees and sunny, but even if it's 50 and cloudy, it beats the 20 & windy/snow back at home. Plus, no lines, no need for PS, better one-on-one interaction with the CMs.

However, I do agree with you about the refurbs. It seems that January is one of worst times to go as far as ride availability. But, they gotta do it sometime - certainly can't close them down during the peak months. That's why (another GREAT benefit) January is so inexpensive! Cheaper airfare, cheaper accomodations! Makes me wish I could've gone. (have to wait until 2/26).

Sorry you had such a bad time, though. Think of it this way... at least you got to get away and spend some quality time with your family.

Try late February. We went last year in late Feb and early March and loved it. Going again this year at same time. It was in the 70s. The rides were all open. One week was busier than the other, but we did what we wanted to do. Some days the rides were all walk ons. That was the last week of February last year.
I swam every day in the heated pools and even sunbathed enough to get a tan. Yes, it wasn't Jamaica, but it was great!
We live in Canada so the 70s are just fantastic for us. At this point, walking around where there is no snow is a bonus so... here we go! :sunny:

Years like this when there is an extra celebration to be prepared for are even worse for referbs. I can't wait to see everything all shiney and new come this summer for the big celebration :o)

We went the begining of Jan and had a GREAT time....in fact if anything I was wishing for milder temp...it was HOT during the day!
Yeah there were several things closed and that was a disappointment but there was still PLENTY to do and NO lines which was VERY nice.
Next visit will be over Easter this year...more things will be open but the lines will be longer too...
It's a trade off I guess...
:confused3

I am sorry that you were miserable. We were there then too, the weather was YUCKY, but we had a blast! Lines were short and we were just so excited to be there that I guess even a blizzard would have just added to the excitement! Better luck on your next trip. :umbrella:

Having done Disney several times in busy season-June-and also in off season in early December, I'd take the low season any day. You get the low crowds and much cooler weather. The tradeoff-shorter hours and more attractions closed for refurb. No way around that. The average temps are quite pleasant, but if you look at the records in winter they do very quite a bit. Weather is actually more predictable in summer,always hot and humid. The average rainfall is much less in the winter months compared to sumer, probably 25% or less of summer. While the weather may have been bad, it is certainly within the norms. And more attractions are always closed offseason. If you want more consistent(and warmer)weather and the rides open go in summer, pretty much the normal case. Of course, it's crowded and very hot, not just pleasantly warm. It's as true at Disney as everywhere, you can't have it both ways. For me I'd much rather go in offseason, even if it gets cold. To me, 60+ is spring weather, and if it's cold at night, just put on a jacket. We have a foot of snow on the ground, and the temps have warmed up nicely-it's over freezing today. Anything over 20 feels warm to me lately. I'd take 'cold' Florida weather any day of the week on vacation!

We just got back from a quick weekend trip to WDW and the weather was nice on Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Sorry that the weather was bad while you were there.

As far as the refurbishments, I did notice a lot more than usual and I chalked it up to the 50th anniversary celebration. For us it was no big deal since we've been to WDW a lot and will be back there in six months. I do feel bad for those who have come for the first time or for a once in a lifetime trip. A lot of "green walls" with pardon our dust everywhere!

Still it was a great trip for us! :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter