Just wonder why anyone books Home away from Home thru Disney when can rent pts?

BC

DIS Veteran
I am not trying to discourage booking thru Disney or make this a thread about DVC, but I just wondered what the advantage other than housekeeping service there is to pay so much more thru CRO rather than an owner?

We never rented points because it involves alot of trust on both sides. You have to be really confident that the person you are renting from is trustworthy. I'm sure 99% of the DVC members are reliable but you never know. If I go through CRO, I don't have to worry about being the victim of a scam.

Plus, I don't think most people know that they can rent points from DVC members. I didn't find out about it until a few months ago myself.

Now that we just bought into DVC, we don't have to worry about it! :)

Explain to me how to rent the points and show me where to get them from and I will have no problem doing it!

How many points per night does it take? How much is the cost of that versus a steep discount?

It seems like a pretty good deal. There is an entire DVC rent/trade forum here on the DIS.

As mentioned above, though, it requires trust. The reservations are not in your name (I think?) so you don't have the same level of control... And you don't get daily housekeeping.

In addition to the enormous amount of trust involved, I know some DVC members do not like the fact that other DVC members rent points. There have been several threads on this board about that topic (with a lot of negativity).

If you rent through Disney, maid service is included, you can easily cancel or move the reservation if you need to and you can pay by credit card.

We are renting points for our September visit. We were fortunate to find a great DVC owner to rent from and are very excited about our BCV stay. Would I do it again? Based on some of the threads from DVC owners that I've seen lately, I'm just not sure.

thessaly - the reservations ARE in the renters name, not the owners. I don't think I would have rented otherwise. I am trusting, but not THAT trusting...:D

Originally posted by diathoney
thessaly - the reservations ARE in the renters name, not the owners. I don't think I would have rented otherwise. I am trusting, but not THAT trusting...:D

Even though the reservation is in your name, the member still controls it. You should have a written contract.

One thing to watch - points are much higher on weekends. For example, I paid cash for part of my OKW stay in May. Friday and Saturday nights in a 1 bedroom were 48 points each, which would be $480 for $10 a point. AP rate was $270.

Good points DebbieB! We are checking in Sunday and out on Friday to avoid the high weekend points.:bounce:

When I made our reservations at BCV, I didn't know about this board and didn't know about renting points. But I like the idea of mousekeeping daily, and the washing machine detergent, etc. Then the FTP really made the whole thing nice!

Yes, it does involve some trust but I will say I have never been burned. (knock on wood) I generally rent from people who have been around here for a long while and can give references and I have bought on eBay once from someone who had VERY high feedback including some on his rentals. I have gotten OKW for as little as $9.00 a point before for a Sunday through Thurs in slow season (8 points per night) for a rate of $72.00 a day. Even if you wanted to add in housekeeping every day at $25.00 a day, it still comes in at under $100.00 a night and that is one heck of a bargain!

AdventureKat - Wow! What an awesome deal.

I've been very pleased with my dealing with the DVC owner I'm renting from - real nice person. There's no way we could have done a one bedroom on our budget through Disney.

~Sparkle~Zoe - there is a short-cut to a points calculator at the top of the DVC rent/trade forum. What I did is watch the DVC rent/trade forum until I saw someone with points to rent during the period I wanted to stay. I e-mailed, and my offer was accepted. The reservation was made in my name, I sent a deposit and the paper work was mailed to me. I verified the reservation. I paid the final payment 45 days before our stay begins.

As you can see, there is opportunity for unscrupulous people to take advantage. I felt comfortable with my owner after a few e-mails. We've chatted since then too. It's been a good experience for us. Hopefully the BCV will be all we expect (i think it will) and then it will be a wonderful thing!;)

However I will definitely miss Mousekeeping! But I'm too "thrifty" to pay the $25 a day extra to have them.:p

I got OKW 2 bed for almost half price by renting through a dvc member. I also booked via WDWTC for dates that overan weekends in order to save a few dollars too;)

This is our first stay at a DVC and we are testing the water in order to invest. If the villa and location works its magic we will probably attend a DVC info session and look at purchasing points ourselves - especially the way Ap Discounts seem to be phasing out now. We have 3 kids so I think it would be a good investment.

Even if the room is booked in my name and I even receive a confirmation, isn't there a chance the person I rent from could cancel my ressie after they receive my money and try to keep their points? I know this sounds so suspicious, but it's alot of money and this day and time who knows!! Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

As a DVC member who has rented don't forget its a risk for us too because if the renter would cancel our points go into holding..

I myself rented points: I chose someone who had over 50 posts and when I got my confirmation sheet I was able to confirm my reservation.
Cheryl

I will say that one reason you might not rent points is that points are not avaialbe. I have always used all my points or given them to family/friends. While there are posts on the rent/trade board, my gut feeling is that 90% of the DVC owners are like me and use up all our points.

BC - Absolutely! That's where the trust part comes in. Some people use a written contract; others get references from previous renters (via DIS boards). It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I don't know if I would rent from a poster that has just joined the boards. My DVC owner hadn't been on the boards long, but I was comfortable with the reasoning behind their renting the points.

I don't imagine anyone on these boards is going to "dog" someone on these forums. How did you go about getting a contract? Also Diathoney, we LOVE Clearwater! Wish I were there!!

BC - I didn't do either. My DVC owner had recently purchased, so had never rented their points before - no references. I've only seen posts to rental threads, someone says they rented from this person. We didn't do a contract, just followed the guidelines on the DVC Rent/Trade (static thread at the top of the board). I've seen links to contracts on threads in the Disney Vacation Club Forum. Sorry I can't point you directly to the contract thread, I didn't bookmark it.

Before I rented, I spent a lot of time browsing the DVC boards here to get an idea of how people liked it and what problems they had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter