Just Returned from the Grand Floridian

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
Overall a nice stay. I did not get my room requests 100% - but they did their best to grant some. I booked a LV room and requested castle view, dormer room in Sago or Conch. I got the dormer - it was in Boca Chica room 8511 facing the lagoon. We had a partial view of the CR, a view of the WL, I could see Spaceship Earth FAR off in the distance and if I craned my neck I could see some of the Polynesian. I was disappointed in this view and I would be willing to pay for the castle view in the future. It really is a shame they haven't implemented that already. There really are NOT that many castle view rooms, and I have no idea how they grant the requests. We checked in at 10am and waited until after 3pm for our assignment, so it wasn't like we got there at midnight and got stuck with whatever was left.

Anyway, I do love the GF, but like I said, I am going to pay for the level of service I want and the view I want from now on. No use spending part of your vacation upset over something you really cannot control.

I'll post pics and more and MAYBE I'll have time to get to do a trip report. Sheesh - I never finished my TR from summer. :blush: Shame on me...

Scanne - Welcome back! It sounds like you were a bit disappointed. Sorry about that. Was there anything else, or just the view wasn't what you hoped for?

How was housekeeping?? Did you have turndown service nightly and if so, was it automatic or did you have to request it?? How was the service and just everything?? Details!!!

I know you were considering upgrading at check in.....did you try? I am so curious about everything. Share!! :goodvibes

Hope your trip was fun despite a few issues. I am going b/f regarding our Xmas stay.....RPC or just GV, but your post and statement about how you are just going to pay for the level of service you want hits home with me and makes me think "RPC".

Lives4Disney :)

Lives4Disney,

Yes, I did try to upgrade to RPC or Sugar Loaf upon check in. Apparently EVERYTHING was booked and I could have moved but not until Sunday and for a 4 night trip, it just didn't make sense to move 1/2 way into the trip.

We DID have stellar housekeeping and turndown every night w/out having to request it. We got some towel animals on our last day as well.

I thought the CM's were all nice but nothing "over the top" Disney magical, except the CM that delivered our room service one morning. She was excellent and of course, I showed my appreciation with extra gratuity. :goodvibes

I will definitely stay at the GF again, although my DH and I agree that the Polynesian (for us) is a better choice for our family. I love the GF dearly, but we had some issues with transportation that we have not encountered when staying at the Polynesian.

I hope you get magical service for your Christmas trip!!!

I'm sorry that you didn't get the MK view that you wanted! We'll be staying at the GF in a LV room this December. I have requested a MK view, too, but I am not going to expect that we'll get one, especially since we'll be checking in later in the evening. I am happy to hear that you got turn-down service without having to request it. What transportation issues did you have?

-Michelle

I got so excited to see a new thread about the GF :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc .

We are staying in a GV room in December. Not knowing a great deal about the resort, I have made no room requests. Just being at Disney for Christmas will be magical -- at least I hope so.

Did you use room service for breakfast, lunch or dinner? I was thinking of using this for one or two mornings of our stay (for DH -- DD and I have ADR's for some character meals that DH has bowed out of).

We plan to use the Monorail for a good deal of our stay. How was transportation to DTD or AK tho?

Any pictures will be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome home Anne. Sorry that you were a little disppointed with your view but glad to hear about housekeeping and room service where both excellent.

The Poly is on my list to try very soon. Can't wait to see pictures.

TinksMagic54,

Hi. We did room service for breakfast and it was really nice! I highly recommend it once or twice - had we stayed longer I would have definitely done it more than one morning.

When a resort is close to being full, it is very hard to grant requests. Considering that castle view and dormers are two of the most highly requested I would say you got very lucky in getting a dormer. :thumbsup2

As to checking in early you still might get what is left if others are not checking out.

Castle views will be available in January and I agree that it will make things easier for everyone.

Glad to hear the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Just back as well. We were lucky and got a great MK LV room in Sago Kay. It is really just what they have available when you check in and they were 100% booked this past weekend. So I consider myself very lucky. However, we couldn't see the EMWP completely and the kids wanted to go to the dock every night (that we weren't at a park) to watch the fireworks and parade. So if we ever stay again we will probably opt for the less expensive GV room.

It is a wonderful resort.

sleeping beauty 2 said:
Just back as well. We were lucky and got a great MK LV room in Sago Kay. It is really just what they have available when you check in and they were 100% booked this past weekend. So I consider myself very lucky. However, we couldn't see the EMWP completely and the kids wanted to go to the dock every night (that we weren't at a park) to watch the fireworks and parade. So if we ever stay again we will probably opt for the less expensive GV room.

It is a wonderful resort.

I have to agree, the Garden view rooms here are wonderful and I would rather have the extra money and stroll out on the grounds to watch the fireworks and water pageant.

The only really spectacular MK rooms are in Conch Key and there is no guarantee even with the new view you would get one in that building.

Glad you had a great trip. Yum, GF room service. :goodvibes

Did Boca Chica have complimentary coffee service in the mornings? I can't believe they discontinued that perk. I keep hoping they bring it back.

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter