Just returned from the Disney Fantasy - Eastern sailing

Napoleon Dynamite

Mouseketeer
My two kids and I (11 and 19) had such a great time on the Fantasy! This was our 6th cruise, but first 7 night and first on the Fantasy! We booked this cruise 3 weeks out at a VGT rate, which was a HUGE savings!! HUGE! We ended up in an awesome 4a room. If you had read my previous comments, I was very reluctant on staying in a verandah room, since we usually have a port hole. I was going to ask to downgrade at the port! But, we didn't, and ended up loving our room! The space was HUGE for my 2 kids and myself. Loved the rainshower! We were Deck 9 aft, but closer to mid ship, and I was worried about motion sickness up high, but it wasn't bad at all (took my bonine and seas were calm). Loved having the verandah after my hesitation wore off! My biggest complaint was the vibrations we felt all over from the D Lounge back, including in our room. We were shaking! It was only bad on Day 5 evening up until the morning of Castaway. No issue from Castaway back to FL. I'm guessing it vibrates SO BAD when they go fast. I wouldn't stay in aft again for that reason. Hard to sleep on a vibrating bed! Never experienced anything like that on the Dream or Wonder, but we have also never sailed that far into the Caribbean.

We had the shows two nights format, and it wasn't bad. I liked that we had a "free night" to do whatever. All of the comedy acts, etc. were either a matinee or evening. We loved the shows! Especially Wishes! Pirate night was crazy crowded, we had to stand in the shower to watch (an officer waved us into that spot), accidentally bumped the "on" button, and well, that was fun, and funny to my kids! ha!

We only ate in the MDR 3 nights at late seating, did 3 nights table service at Cabanas (which was GREAT! and FAST)and the last night to avoid the comment card pressure nonsense, we just ate quick food. I had requested a private table, like I always do. It wasn't granted, which I never thought would happen, and our first night at dinner was SO uncomfortable. My son is a teenager with Autism, and is VERY anxious around strangers. It was the worst dinner ever. We couldn't wait to get out of there. I did end up politely expressing my concerns and they assigned us a private table for the rest of the cruise.

Our stateroom host, David, was AWESOME!! Our room was immaculate, he would wind and Velcro my charging cords multiple times a day, straighten our shoes, and he was always so nice to my kids! My son has Autism and is shy, and David really made it a point to say hi to him, high five him, etc. We really loved him!

We did not book any excursions through DCL. We rented a taxi on St. Maarten for $5 each and went to Divi Little Bay Resort. It was so inexpensive, and there were like 10 families total. It was so peaceful, beautiful and we had a blast! The water had small waves, and was just gorgeous! They had tubes to buy ($5 each and they blow them up), along with noodles, etc. Jet Ski rentals, boat rides, snorkel trips. We paid $15 for 2 chairs and an umbrella, used their free wifi, and got snacks in their deli which was dirt cheap. We could see the boat from the other side of their property. It was SO nice! I would actually consider going back there for a vacation!

At St. Thomas, we took a shared taxi to Magen's Bay for $8 each person each way. They drive like absolute maniacs and our van didn't have seatbelts. The hills are winding, steep, sharp turns, holy cow were were scared, and we are used to NYC driving! Once we arrived at Magen's, he dropped us at the main stretch by concessions. We knew the cruise folks would end up there in the chairs that were marked reserved, so we walked to the very far end of the beach. No umbrellas or chairs, but they had picnic tables under the trees, minimal shade. We stayed there for hours and only a few other families were there. It was lifeguarded, and they sold noodles and floats (floats you have to blow up yourself, and noodles were $8 EACH...my kids came back with a buck change, and 3 noodles..dollar store type...I was floored lol). The water was gorgeous, snorkeling my DD didn't see much. We saw a sea turtle poke his head out far out. Later in the day we went down to the DCL excursion part (main part of beach). It was very rocky with coral and crowded! We didn't stay long, then got in a taxi that was waiting and went back to the port! It was a nice day, but we much preferred our day at St. Maarten!

Castaway was gorgeous as usual! My daughter saw 2 sea turtles snorkeling, she loved it! We put her in the kids club for an hour or so and hopped on the tram to Serenity Bay. We have been to CC 6 times, but never to the adult beach. Was nice!!! Also rented a water trike...hard to pedal for my kids! Windy and current was strong!! We stayed all day, left when they said they were closing down! I will say, I was annoyed that the lifeguards were throwing the trays of food people have left behind onto the sand right in front of our spot. I was NOT happy with 40 seagulls diving for food right in front of where I was sitting. I was actually disgusted by that! I get that they probably have someone who drives by and picks up all the trays from the sand, and it's easier to throw them all out front, but they shouldn't throw them where people are sitting! There were minimal people on the beach at this point, so plenty of other spots to throw them! This was going on at least an hour before all aboard time, so gross!

All in all, we LOVED the Fantasy, and can't wait to do another 7 night! Our weather was perfect, everyone was friendly, my kids had a blast, and we made a ton of memories! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh, and PS, we arrived at the port super early! Like WAY early, I always like to leave time in case something happens, flat tire, etc., and I'm traveling solo with my kids. So we always get there at like 9am. Of course our PAT is tied to our boarding number, and booking late, we had a noon spot. So our boarding number was like 15 or 16, I forget. Well, we were standing around when they were up to group 3, a cast member said we looked so cute, how many people do we have, and opened up the rope on the side and let us on! That made our day!

My biggest complaint was the vibrations we felt all over from the D Lounge back, including in our room. We were shaking! It was only bad on Day 5 evening up until the morning of Castaway. No issue from Castaway back to FL. I'm guessing it vibrates SO BAD when they go fast. I wouldn't stay in aft again for that reason. Hard to sleep on a vibrating bed! Never experienced anything like that on the Dream or Wonder, but we have also never sailed that far into the Caribbean.
Nice report, but I'm sad to see the vibration issues continue on the Fantasy. We experienced them badly on our first Fantasy cruise. Also only on those nights when we were cruising at top speed. Reports were that they were "fixed". Apparently not.

We were on the same cruise. It really was a magical cruise!
I have stayed in the same aft rooms (9174/76) on deck 9 for a couple of cruises and this time the vibration really bothered us. To the point where we had a few sleepless nights. The TV was rattling, the hangers in the closet were rattling, the whole room was shaking. We even had soot on our veranda which we never had before.
Sad because I really liked those aft verandas, but I think that will be our last time staying in them. We really were tired from lack of sleep.

Thank you for the report! What movies were being shown? Did they play one as the "show" one evening?

Christopher Robin was the "show" one evening with 2 different times. But, that peeved me since it was on Pirate night, and during a port day, and earlier than the regular show time, so we were scrambling to make it by 5:30. My kids went without me! The other movies were Solo, Ant Man and the Wasp, Incredibles 2, Black Panther, and I think that was it. I don't like any of those Marvel type movies, so I didn't watch them! My son saw Solo though!

We were on the same cruise. It really was a magical cruise!
I have stayed in the same aft rooms (9174/76) on deck 9 for a couple of cruises and this time the vibration really bothered us. To the point where we had a few sleepless nights. The TV was rattling, the hangers in the closet were rattling, the whole room was shaking. We even had soot on our veranda which we never had before.
Sad because I really liked those aft verandas, but I think that will be our last time staying in them. We really were tired from lack of sleep.

So I'm not exaggerating lol! I noticed the awful smelling exhaust on the top deck while playing mini golf a few nights. I wonder if there is something wrong with their engines that needs to be fixed or something? We have been on the Dream 4 times and never experienced the smell or the vibrations!

So I'm not exaggerating lol! I noticed the awful smelling exhaust on the top deck while playing mini golf a few nights. I wonder if there is something wrong with their engines that needs to be fixed or something? We have been on the Dream 4 times and never experienced the smell or the vibrations!
You are definitely not exaggerating. Didn’t notice the smell. This is my 4th cruise in these rooms. I have always defended the aft rooms on these boards saying the vibration was only bad when we docked and never noticed soot. But this time I was so wrong! I am not sure about the Dream as we only sailed her once and that was midship.
The TV was rattling so much that we woke up during the night and started wrapping it in towels to diminish the sound.:sad2:

One more thing i may add about this cruise - (sorry to hijack your thread)

Pirate show and fireworks were at 7:30 between the two dinners. It was crazy to have the early dinner and rush upstairs to see the show. This only made dinner more rushed and definitely no good viewing areas left.
Pirate show was changed and I really prefer the older one. This one had a sing along prior to Jack Sparrow coming out for his part of the show.

And there was no Pirate Buffet. They even made an announcement at dinner that due to the early show of fireworks there would be no pirate buffet.

One more thing i may add about this cruise - (sorry to hijack your thread)

Pirate show and fireworks were at 7:30 between the two dinners. It was crazy to have the early dinner and rush upstairs to see the show. This only made dinner more rushed and definitely no good viewing areas left.
Pirate show was changed and I really prefer the older one. This one had a sing along prior to Jack Sparrow coming out for his part of the show.

And there was no Pirate Buffet. They even made an announcement at dinner that due to the early show of fireworks there would be no pirate buffet.

I agree, I didn't like the whole pirate night this time around. The fireworks were just way to early. I don't really get why they couldn't do it later on! and I was bummed about no buffet!

You are definitely not exaggerating. Didn’t notice the smell. This is my 4th cruise in these rooms. I have always defended the aft rooms on these boards saying the vibration was only bad when we docked and never noticed soot. But this time I was so wrong! I am not sure about the Dream as we only sailed her once and that was midship.
The TV was rattling so much that we woke up during the night and started wrapping it in towels to diminish the sound.:sad2:

SO annoying!!!

I agree, I didn't like the whole pirate night this time around. The fireworks were just way to early. I don't really get why they couldn't do it later on! and I was bummed about no buffet!
Hmmnn, thats weird! I usually find myself running up to watch fireworks in my pajamas. (Something about being on a cruise makes me so sleepy so early.) I might actually like having them earlier!

Hmmnn, thats weird! I usually find myself running up to watch fireworks in my pajamas. (Something about being on a cruise makes me so sleepy so early.) I might actually like having them earlier!

Cruise Director Trent said they were so early because the sunset is so early down there! I hear you on the sleepy thing! My daughter is usually in the club and I'm ready for bed by 10pm!

eeek :/ so for someone on their first cruise on fantasy... what stateroom would you recommend to avoid vibrations etc? midship starboard? front starboard? anything but aft?

what about deck, higher the better or?

Im on deck 5 aft at the moment but you're making me rethink

eeek :/ so for someone on their first cruise on fantasy... what stateroom would you recommend to avoid vibrations etc? midship starboard? front starboard? anything but aft?

what about deck, higher the better or?

Im on deck 5 aft at the moment but you're making me rethink

I personally don't think I would do Deck 5 aft! The location is great, but the vibrating would just kill it!

The ONLY place we have ever stayed on the Dream (same ship), is Deck 2 in an oceanview. 4 cruises we have stayed there. Honestly, it's my favorite deck. One flight up to the theater, atrium, etc. One flight down to get to the gangway for ports. We never feel anything down there. But, a lot of people don't like to be low. The port holes on Deck 2 are big, but not HUGE like on Deck 5 though. I was also reading about some Deck 5 forward rooms last night, but some complaints with those, so that might not be a good fit. There are no Deck 5 mid ship, so I would just try to find another deck that has mid ship rooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter