Just returned ( 5/12) from OKW / VWL

Tony-NJ

<font color=green>Ready for <font color=deeppink>S
Hi all - we just returned from OKW 5/5 - 5/8 and VWL 5/8 thru 5.12. This was our first time at both resorts. We stayed in a studio at both. OKW room 5120. It seemed like the room was as far away from the main area as you can get. The room however was beautiful and clean. No complaints. The transportation was OK. We had to wait for buses on a few occasions where there were tons of people. We waited about 45 minutes one night from EPCOT.( By the way, we checked in before 10:30 AM and the room was ready!!) Now, we loved VWL. Note we are only 2 adults and do not rent a car and do not take advantage of eating in the rooms. We found OKW to be a little too spread out, and everything was a long walk. We loved being at VWL though, I guess being able to share all the amenities of the resort made "us" feel like we were on more of a vacation than OKW. Please understand that we are not bashing OKW, we found it to be beautiful, clean and friendly. We just preferred VWL. Our room at VWL was 2542. Again it was clean and nicely decorated. It was very close to the buses and the main lodge. The lobby of the villas was absolutely beautiful! The transportaion was also great. I will post a trip report within the next week. Very sad to be home!

Hi Tony, so glad you loved VWL, we stayed at WL and bought there this past January. Our first stay is this Nov with 2 small grandchildren, can't wait!! Did you try the food at Artist Point? Hubby didn't see anything on the menu he liked, so we didn't go, but I would like to do the character breakfast and maybe dinner.
I agree with you, what a beautiful, relaxing resort!!

Thanks for the mini-review, Tony. Great to hear you had a wonderful time, especially at VWL as we are headed there in a week. Can't wait to read your trip report.

Hi Maryp. Had dinner at Artist Point with a couple of friends who live near disney. We all loved it. I had a mix grill, Buffalo. Lamb Chop and Ostrich. (i've never had buffalo or ostrich). Loved the buffalo - better than filet, the Ostrich was OK. The service was awsome. I would recommend it.

The more folks report back on their good experiences at VWL, the more excited I get to visit there in Oct. Our first DVC visit. We did eat at Artists Point in Nov '00 and it was wonderful. The service was great, everyone in our party had great food. My favorite was the cedar plank salmon and I can hardly wait to eat there again in Oct. I would like to know more about the character breakfast. Pooh, Tigger, etc are some of my favorites and it sounds great in the descriptions. Has anyone done that?

Hi Tony... I also returned on 5/12 from a short visit to see the VWL. We just loved it!! Our first ressie on pts will be in Nov. and we just can't wait. We too like the idea of being next to the resort area as my family likes to eat dinners out. We will probably try out OKW at some point in time to see what it's like. It's great to see some others who really like the VWL as much as we do! It's a beautiful place! We also received our first "Welcome Home" from Janet who was manning the DVC station in the lobby. It felt great!

That's what makes the world go 'round folks! We have been at VWL and own at OKW. While we love the Wilderness Lodge itself, were not crazy about VWL. A bit too dark in decor, much too much like a hotel, and still you had to walk to the main resort for anything except the pool. OKW for us is the peace, calm, and relaxation we look for in a vacation, lighter and more airy, a more home-like feeling. But, as I said, that's what makes the world go 'round! I am not downing VWL, just not our taste. To all who already own VWL and to those just coming on board, enjoy and Welcome Home! :wave:

We're going to VWL in August for our first visit and plan to go to Artist Point for our anniversary dinner. We have been there twice for dinner over the past few years and really enjoy it. It's one of our favorites. The food is excellent and the service is even better. I just wish the wines were less expensive. ;)

We all have different tastes! If we all thought the same these boards would be real boring LOL!

Paul, I will agree with you on the wine prices! Enjoy your dinner!

As I re-read my prior post, I saw that I neglected to mention that our children are all adults - we don't need or look for the hype of a busy resort, slides at the pool, etc. Maybe this is why OKW so appeals to us! To be done with the "activity" of raising the children is wonderful, and when we miss it, we bring the grandchildren occasionally, and they don't seem to mind OKW being so laid back, so until they do, we will not be causing any pool-hopping problems at BWV or SAB!!;)

One of our posters mentioned the Pooh breakfast at Artist Pointe. Sadly, I understand that this will soon be history, and AP will become a dinner-only restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter