Just Pay To Check A Second Bag

Lewisc

DIS Veteran
if you absolutely need to bring a lot of "stuff".

Delta is charging $100 if your bag is over sized, luggage stores are still selling large bags that exceed 62". Delta is also charging $80 is your bag is between 50-70lbs.

The $25 charge for an extra bag is a much better "deal" then paying for an oversized or overweight bag.

Delta, and other airlines, are looking to charges for excess baggage as a source of additional revenue. I'd count on bags being measured and weighed.

Delta limits the weight of carryon bags to 40 lbs, I'm not sure if that's a new limit. Again I'd assume airlines will start to measure, and weigh, carry on bags.

Wow, only 40 pounds? I can't even pack the kids stuff for under 40!! They are making it harder and harder. It'll be cheaper to mail your clothes soon!

I'm flying Midwest and just looked into their baggage rules yesterday. Although they count carseats as one of your items, you can check two bags -- at least as of yesterday:rolleyes:

rumor is if oil stays above $100 - the legacy airlines will try to have fees charged for ANY luggage checked....even the first bag. They would like this in place by the end of the year.

This is from the Travel Detective website when this policy first started changing and I would not be surprised if they made it happen.

Sad to say.....after a few years of cost cutting, there is little left to cut. Pilots alone have taken up to a 40% cut in pay. Now the solution is to nickle and dime us with fees......not that $80 for an overweight bag is a nickle or dime!

Beware, as long as oil is over $100 p/barrel, everyone but Southwest is going to be in the "red" and will find any solution possible for make $$$. NOTE: info on airline health in the world of $100 oil was in USA Today's travel section on March 25th.

Wow, only 40 pounds? I can't even pack the kids stuff for under 40!! They are making it harder and harder. It'll be cheaper to mail your clothes soon!

If you are having difficulty taking 40 lbs of CARRYON luggage per person you may need to reconsider how you are packing/checking luggage.

40 lbs is extremely generous for carry on luggage - many other worldwide carriers limit carry on luggage to 8kg (16.6lbs) each

I think I need lighter suitcases!!

I cannot imagine 17 pounds -- good luck!

I think I need lighter suitcases!!

I cannot imagine 17 pounds -- good luck!

The frame necessary to support wheels adds weight, and reduces the capacity of the bag. Wheeled luggage made a lot of sense, when you could check 3 bags @70lbs. It's a luxury with a limit of 1 50lb bag. Consider buying one duffel bag, without wheels. Pool your families luggage and put all the soft clothing in the duffel bag. A duffel bag won't weight more then a couple of pounds, and old suitcase can easily weigh 15-20 lbs.

if you absolutely need to bring a lot of "stuff".

Delta is charging $100 if your bag is over sized, luggage stores are still selling large bags that exceed 62". Delta is also charging $80 is your bag is between 50-70lbs.

Delta limits the weight of carryon bags to 40 lbs, I'm not sure if that's a new limit. Again I'd assume airlines will start to measure, and weigh, carry on bags.

Okay this is scaring me - I have a 10 year old suitcase that is really big - everytime I travel they want to weigh it (it is always under 50)......I need to go to Delta.com and check on how to measure my luggage. Looks like there is a chance I may need to BUY a new suitcase!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter