JUST one?

I'm generally fine with spending time alone, and in the parks in the past my family would split up if we all wanted to do different things so waiting in lines for rides myself is no issue. But I'm going on my first solo trip in the Spring and the "just one?" thing is making me wary of restaurants myself. I have no problem with wandering around eating or CS, but I feel like I might miss outta on TS dinners. There are a few places that I'd like to eat at, that my family either never went to or maybe couldn't afford for all of us to go. But I just can't imagine sitting in somewhere like Le Celliere eating dinner by myself amongst all the groups. And don't even get me started on Character Breakfasts myself! Maybe I just need to work up to it, who knows.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - do not be afraid to dine solo at WDW. I can count on one hand the times I've eaten solo in a restaurant at home, so I'm not a "veteran" at that, but all my experiences this year at WDW were great (Via Napoli, Les Chefs, Flying Fish) and I did not feel awkward at all. (I've never done a character meal by myself, but I know others here have.) If there is a restaurant you've always wanted to try, go for it!

I was probably a little uncertain at first of how things were going to go (the trip in general), but I got comfortable quickly. I fly, but I've been on planes alone before for trips other than WDW; that's the easy part. I like doing things solo, but this year's trip really was a big adventure for me. If you're at all independent and comfortable doing things on your own, I say give it a try.

I did my best to shrug it off, but the whole thing just left me with an unpleasant experience and I've resolved to never travel travel solo to Disney again. I'll continue to come back, but with friends and family to enrich the experience.
So sorry you had this experence and your trip didn't go as you would have hoped.
Solo isn't for everyone but I travel a lot alone. Disney I found was completly the easiest place to travel alone. I've gotten far more comments other places. There was only one time I was slightly annoyed about someone making a big deal about me being alone and that was a photopass photographer.

I'm looking at having to travel alone for the first time due to my DH having to cancel because of hurricane sandy closing his business for a bit. Now he can't take time off.
I'm mixed between canceling and giving solo a try. I'm a pretty strong willed independent happy friendly person, but I must admit I haven't been alone for a long long time. I'm wondering if it will "feel" ok to be alone for four days?

Was the first time you went awkward at all or were you comfortable from the get go? If awkward, how'd you get past that? Do you have to travel far on your own to get there? Any hints or tips I can consider to be more comfortable? I don't really want to cancel, I have quite a few things booked. Any info any of you can provide will be appreciated! Thanks!

Sorry that Sandy has caused your DH to be unable to travel but I think you should try it alone. 4 days isn't very long, nice length for your first solo trip. Take that chance to papmper yourself and do stuff your DH won't be as keen on doing. If you think you might be loney there is wifi in Magic Kingom - if you have a wifi enabled phone or ipod or somthing you can 'check in' with your DH - and make him jelouse!

When I travel solo (not just disney) I always have a loose plan in my head but am really flexable and don't hold myself to it. Go with the flow, if you are tired don't worry about making roap drop.

Ask away if there are any specifics that you are worried about travel-wise, ask!

Well, you tried it, and have had the experience, but just didn't care for going solo. Nothing wrong with that.

I've gone solo several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a few TS restaurants, and did (at times) feel a tiny bit out of place being by myself, but got over it. For all anyone else knows, maybe I WAS at WDW with someone else, but just wanted to dine at a particular place, that my dh (or whoever) didn't want to dine.

I think a person has to feel pretty comfortable with their own company (not that you don't, op) to be able to go to a place like WDW, solo. JMO

I also enjoy going with friends and family too. Going solo is just a different way to travel, that's all.

Interesting! I did a few solo days on my last trip and a completely solo trip in January and didn't have that at all (I am female). The only time it was brought up was when they needed a solo rider, and when I shot my arm up, I got a "lucky you!" from CMs (and others in line as well!).

That's too bad. I loved my solo time and am ready to go back.

I find it weird that most people won't travel alone. In my circle of friends and coworkers, people travel alone all the time. Also, going to the movies alone or eating alone doesn't raise eyebrows either.

I agree that sometimes people think it's strange or dangerous for a woman to do these things alone, but they need to get over it.

OP, I'm sorry your trip wasn't all you had hoped.

...and the "just one?" thing is making me wary of restaurants myself. I have no problem with wandering around eating or CS, but I feel like I might miss outta on TS dinners.
But I just can't imagine sitting in somewhere like Le Celliere eating dinner by myself amongst all the groups. And don't even get me started on Character Breakfasts myself! Maybe I just need to work up to it, who knows.

Don't miss out on the TS places! I'm a female solo traveller myself, having taken a trip to WDW for the first time past may. I only made 2 TS adrs because I didn't want to waste a lot of time in restaurants as opposed to seeing the parks and enjoying the rides. But those 2 meals were wonderful! I also felt strange among all those families, sitting at my table solo but I surely didn't regret it.
I had breakfast at CP and was not sure if a character meal would be fun as a solo adult but I really had a blast. My server was wonderful, the characters were nice and I just had fun watching all the kids around me having a great time. I just spent my meal people-watching and enjoyed it a lot.
Second adr was for the wishes dessert party. At the entrance, I was greeted by my server with "just one?" and when I answered "yeah...and having the time of my life travelling solo" he just replied "wow...must be so awesome to spend time at wdw doing whatever whenever you want...I would loooooooooooooove to do that one day" :thumbsup2

So, don't hesitate to have sit-down meals when going solo. It's a good time to recharge your batteries, check the pictues you have taken or make friends and family jealous by making live facebook or twitter postings :yay:

I know that going solo kind of makes one self conscience, but, honestly no one is commenting on your social status, they just need to know how many are in your party. Life would be a lot easier if we were able to not read to much into things that people say. Ask yourself, why would they care? You will find the answer is, they don't! Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

I think the "just one" comments happen the most at MK. I got a couple today at MK, especially on some of the Fantasyland rides. I thought of the OP when it happened to me. :) It was annoying, but I'm having fun so far on my solo trip.

Tomorrow I'm doing DHS for a bit and then Epcot. I booked the Candlelight Processional Package so we'll see how I fare dining solo at a TS. Most of the rides at DHS I ride alone anyway, even when my sister is with me, because she is a chicken.:rotfl2: So that won't feel too foreign anyway.

My little baby niece (she's three) was talking to me on the phone tonight and I was told she wanted to come pick me up,lol. When told that I was far away and could only be reached by plane, she said maybe her daddy would build her one. She was sad that she couldn't see me. I admit, that made me a little :worried::(.
Can't wait until I can start taking her on trips someday..

Normally when I call Reservations with questions about my dates, they ask how many people and when I say "Just one" they say "ok, one person...." but there's usually a split-second pause where I feel like they're thinking "JUST one??" Today I called about the cardholder discount and the CM asked how many in my party, and I said "just one" and she was immediately like "Just you, WOW, you are gonna have the BEST time just doing what YOU want!!" and she sounded all excited. Made me feel even more excited too :banana:

I wasnt going to comment since I have only been solo a 3 times but..

I love to be solo!

I can walk as fast or as slow as I want, see things, stop often and enjoy my surroundings..at cs , being solo is fine..wanna take my chairs for your family- fine with me..

and at TS ..it was heaven! Enjoying my food, CMs were so nice to me and stopped to talk and take pictures, loved watching the kids, families stopped and talked to me,( jealous I think) GREAT time! Did get a "just one"..maybe but I dont remember..I was too busy talking to everyone and enjoying being at WDW.

I live near the parks and go often, sometimes bring the kid, sometimes not. Been solo to all the parks tons of times and never once has any cm ever said anything like what you describe getting on rides or things. Maybe like the others said its cuz im a dood... ill dress as a princess this weekend and see how it goes ;)

I live near the parks and go often, sometimes bring the kid, sometimes not. Been solo to all the parks tons of times and never once has any cm ever said anything like what you describe getting on rides or things. Maybe like the others said its cuz im a dood... ill dress as a princess this weekend and see how it goes ;)

I'm a dude (I think that is what you were saying) and they always ask me, but they ask everyone how many people in your party, just one is another way of asking that same question.::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter