Just left the Fantasy, DO NOT WANT TO START A DEBATE

We were also on the Sept 7 HOTHS cruise. It was our first so I assumed the people EVERYWHERE was normal. Trick or treat was exhausting. Character lines were long unless you staked your spot 30 minutes before (that's crazy).

We ended up on a themed cruise simply because that's all that was offered for the time of year we wanted to go. I would like to try the Christmas one but don't know if the themed activities are crazy like the Halloween party?

Aren't these themed cruises more expensive than just a regular cruise? Are they just unavoidable during certain times, on the Dream and Fantasy?

We haven't done a Halloween or Christmas cruise, but have done 2 Star Wars cruises with a 3rd coming up in Jan. We also have a Jan 2021 cruise booked on the Fantasy that will most likely be SW. They actually cost less than the non-themed Fantasy cruises in March and April. The Fantasy does SW every year Jan-Feb. We haven't encountered any outrageous behavior with long lines or people pushing others. We only like the longer cruises, so haven't been on the Dream.

We did the Sept. 7 HOTHS cruise, and I've debated about saying anything. This was our first time on the Fantasy, we've previously sailed on the Magic several times. Always were happy to pay the premium price to sail with Disney because the consideration from other guests as well as the feel of more square footage per guest helped us enjoy our experience. Not saying there weren't some bad experiences, but over all we felt the cruises were relaxing uncrowded and enjoyable. The Fantasy was a complete crowd fest from start to finish. The terminal simply wasn't built to handle the number of guests the Fantasy carries, it seems as if when they built the Fantasy they went higher, but not much wider or longer. The result seemed to be several more decks of staterooms and not much larger public areas to handle the bigger crowds. And I'm sorry but there's simply no excuse to not have enough lounge chairs at Castaway Cay for every guest on the ship. It's not calculus it's simple math. x number of guests equals x number of chairs, and guess what the number never changes. And I realize people "save" chairs even though there's supposed to be a policy in place to prevent this, the only time it was enforced on our cruise was when i enforced it myself.
Nemo's reef should immediately be renamed Thunder Dome. It has an age limit that also isn't even acknowledged let alone enforced. The same was true of most of the venues intended for the smaller kids. They had to fight for any use of the facilities with kids that were twice their size as the bigger kids parents looked on.
And I'm sorry, but everyone on the boat doesn't love the inconsiderate monster you raised, so don't get upset with us when we simply point out where the back of the line is since you seem to be incapable of controlling them in anyway. I literally had a mother look at me and say. " I can't control him" when her at least 12 year old "child" cut into a line because he saw a sandwich he thought he might like. As the mother tried to control him he simply ignored her. Don't tell me you're that unaware of your inability to control your child. And quite frankly the rest of the world shouldn't have to pay for your lack of parenting. And again all in full view of cast members that refused to get involved. I understand not wanting to upset any guests, but if you have guests following the rules in the Restaurants and public areas, the least the cast members could do is remind the ones that aren't what the rules are. It was kind of like OK, we have your money now fend for yourself.
I understand that space is at a premium on the ships, and everyone has to learn to get along and make room for others. It just seems like for the extra price paid to sail with Disney the least they could do is maintain a passenger to public space ratio that makes it worth it. The Fantasy in my opinion and the Disney facilities , " Castaway Cay and the Terminal" were woefully inadequate compared to the Magic and Wonder. I'm not expecting any better from the new ships coming out, so our vacation dollars will be applied elsewhere for the foreseeable future.
Sorry if this offends and I'm not looking for a discussion. I realize my experience may differ from yours, but this was our experience and our take away. Just thought I'd put this out there, to read these boards sometimes you'd think there were no downsides at all to a disney cruise, just pixie dust and sunshine. It's not all perfect for everyone.
I really think the underlying problem with the Fantasy is entirely too many guests for the size of the ship.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We much prefer sailing on the smaller ships for these very reasons. We've done 3 cruises on the Magic, 3 on Fantasy and 1 on Dream. While we didn't experience what is being described in this thread, I found the overall crowd size, particularly on the Fantasy, to be really unenjoyable. It is why I have zero interest in sailing on the even bigger ships DCL is building. We'll stick with Magic and Wonder if we sail again with DCL at all. In terms of CMs simply standing by when guests behave this way, there is an overall "we-cannot-control-guest-behavior" philosophy at Disney. It seems they would rather have other guests inconvenienced than correct guest behavior. It is very rare that I see CMs enforcing Disney stated rules.

We were also on the Sept 7 HOTHS cruise. It was our first so I assumed the people EVERYWHERE was normal. Trick or treat was exhausting. Character lines were long unless you staked your spot 30 minutes before (that's crazy).

We ended up on a themed cruise simply because that's all that was offered for the time of year we wanted to go. I would like to try the Christmas one but don't know if the themed activities are crazy like the Halloween party?

We did a Merrytime cruise last year on the dream and loved it. Averaged about 10 minutes in lines for characters and for pictures. People seemed nice.

We had no issues with it and our upcoming booking is a Merrytime on the Wonder coming up in a little over 1.5 months.

In terms of CMs simply standing by when guests behave this way, there is an overall "we-cannot-control-guest-behavior" philosophy at Disney. It seems they would rather have other guests inconvenienced than correct guest behavior. It is very rare that I see CMs enforcing Disney stated rules.

That's because the "Me, me me" guests are the same personality type that will likely become loud and possibly violent when called out on their behavior. Or they will file a complaolint against the CM and land them un their manager's hotseat. Rather than be adults who accept responsibility for their mistakes, they turn into raging toddlers and the situation can become dangerous. As unfair as it is to let these people get away with their bad behavior, I can understand why the CMs tend to turn a blind eye. The customer is always right service model has given too much power to these types, across all industries. Sometimes the customer is very wrong

Agree that the smaller ships are much more relaxing and fun for us. I will be doing a Merrytime cruise on the Magic in November and from what I can tell, the numbers won't be large. I wasn't looking for a themed cruise but the dates fit with our school schedule and I need a break.

Did I know at the time of booking that it was a "HOTHS"Cruise? NO! It was after booking that it was released. If I had known, at the time I booked, I would have never booked it. Oh well, life goes on....there's bigger things to be concerned with and it was a good learning experience. If my granddaughter learned from it, money well spent. Every time we go out, it's always a learning experience, even if it's just counting certain color cars! (We have a long drive into town!)

Although we enjoyed our Fantasy cruise last week, I gave a really bad review on the comment card regarding the Halloween activities. I really enjoyed the Halloween cruises on the Magic. I think Leslie did a horrible job as cruise director. It was pure chaos to the point my kids wanted nothing to do with it. Trick or Treating was not enjoyable. 15 minute wait in lines that wrapped the ship for 2 pieces of candy. The only reason we got candy was that no one knew there was a station on the 5th floor. I spoke with other passengers who were equally disappointed. Leslie kept promoting “taking naps” on the cruise. I didn’t pay 5k to take a nap. I paid that much for the special activities and events I enjoyed on our last nine cruises!

we looooooved the trick or treat event..... because not one person was on the Aquaduck. We looked at the insanity and I asked my kids if they'd like to ride the Aquaduck instead since one still hadn't done it. They ran and switched costumes for swimsuits and we enjoyed having the pool deck almost entirely to ourselves and riding the Aquaduck over and over and watching Funnel Vision.

I agree that the ToTing event is just pure chaos, they really need a treasure map or more organization or something. The rest of the HOTHS events seemed pretty well planned out to me on the Magic. I did have someone "cut" in front of me at Cabanas waiting for the hard scooped ice cream (and took the last of the flavor I wanted too). I know they encourage you to hop in, hop out there (and I do it as well) but it was obvious I was waiting for service. The CMs looked pretty sheepish about telling me the ice cream was now all gone, realizing what had happened.

there was an expectation that you got beat. At the time, it was considered "you should have known better" or "you got what was coming to you". Looking back, I'm actually glad that's the way it was because it made for a better/polite society.

Wow, advocating violence to promote a less rude society. How classy. Thank god most of society has evolved past physical violence as a form of punishment, even if it means a few more rude people. And to promote it for the use of profanity? Wow. It's just words and does not justify a physical attack. It is free speech.

As for rude people, there is nothing wrong with speaking up and calling them out on their behaviour. But I will never pine for the good old days when someone would get "beat" for making a certain sound with his/her mouth.

I figure we all have a choice. We can go around focusing on how rude everyone is on the ship or at the parks, or we can focus on the good stuff. I have found that focusing on the good stuff makes me much happier. I still call out really bad behaviour, like someone cutting in front of me in a line, but I let that stuff go and move on.

Last edited:
That's because the "Me, me me" guests are the same personality type that will likely become loud and possibly violent when called out on their behavior. Or they will file a complaolint against the CM and land them un their manager's hotseat. Rather than be adults who accept responsibility for their mistakes, they turn into raging toddlers and the situation can become dangerous. As unfair as it is to let these people get away with their bad behavior, I can understand why the CMs tend to turn a blind eye. The customer is always right service model has given too much power to these types, across all industries. Sometimes the customer is very wrong

Yup. Totally agree. I've seen it with my own eyes - mostly in WDW. I've myself bit my tongue so many times because I have no idea what these people are capable of doing if they are called out on their behavior.

Wow. It's just words and does not justify a physical attack. It is free speech.

Recalling factual information is not advocating violence. Go cuss out a stranger on the street and watch what happens to you. Make sure you tell them you have free speech while they are whooping you.

We've been on 5 cruises - 3, 4, and 5 day duration - all with DCL. We enjoy them. We are an adult couple and stay generally to the adult areas. One of the pluses of DCL is they do an admirable job at keeping the adult areas separate. While I've never cruised on another line, my family and friends have said that the adult areas often have children and this hasn't been our experience with DCL. On board we see little children/family interaction except when at Cabanas, the MDR or walking thru open areas, like between Cabanas and the adult pool.

We don't shop much, we'll catch a magic show but the Broadway shows - IMO - are geared toward the young. We enjoy the sports pub, the trivia shows and the beverage/food demos. My husband will shoot b-ball if the court has room and while I'm napping, he'll visit the Tron area to watch the movie and enjoy the main pool. On Castaway Key we do sit in the family area and have never had difficulty finding seating. The adult area seems far and we enjoy watching the kids play plus walking and shopping. While we enjoy the holiday decor, we do not have costumes or try for character meets. We do enjoy the music ensembles and singers in the main atrium area, as well as the open lounges. I find the spa areas no more special than our local spas so after 4 cruises of using the spa, I think the next cruise I'll resist. Does anyone need a $60 bottle of oil - I don't know why I keep buying that stuff. LOL

I do find the Magic and Wonder adult areas to be more compact and we've learned to use the mid-level stairs/elevators so we do not ascend into the middle of the children area. At the MDR we ask for a table for 2, which are usually in quieter areas. Sharing the table can be fun and entertaining but if the noise level is high I have a hard time enjoying the food.

Frankly, we see more rude behavior in the amusement parks. :)

Recalling factual information is not advocating violence. Go cuss out a stranger on the street and watch what happens to you. Make sure you tell them you have free speech while they are whooping you.

. . . If you were walking down the street and you used profane language toward someone, there was an expectation that you got beat. . . Looking back, I'm actually glad that's the way. . .

You committed a whole post to how it was better that people used to get beat for using profanity, and the benefits the flowed from it. That sure is advocating violence. Frankly, it was shocking and disturbing to read.

I stand behind my position that violence should never be the response to speech. I am appalled that anyone would take a position to the contrary. But, I can see you are set in your worldview and this is now way off topic from Disney Cruising, so if you want to throw another suggestion my way on how I should go get a "whooping," I will let you have the last word. I can see there is no hope here.

It's likely that this wasn't the only thing. I've been reading horrible things about the HOTHS cruises this year - very disorganized, people(adults!) pushing and shoving, taking all the candy, etc. Sometimes it's the last thing that happens that does you in.
How do they take all the candy? Disney has boxes upon boxes of the stuff. People are pushy everywhere. Best thing is to speak up. On the soap issue California just signed into law no individual hotel shampoos which means Disneyland must stoo.

Sorry your cruise experience was so negative. Unfortunately, I see this behavior on non-themed cruises and in the parks. Luckily, my family isn't as keen on the characters, so we don't have to hassle with that mess. I have had people cut in line for pictures though on DCL. I sometimes call people out, but I also sometimes just wait for Karma to do its job. I hope your next vacation is much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter