Just joined Bjs wholesale club!!

disneyofcourse

DIS Veteran
I'm so excited! I've got lots of questions to. Are some things in there that are actually more expensive than buying at say walmart or target? I'm wondering what is actually a good deal. I only went in for a moment to sign up and walk around. Theres just so much stuff in there! I mostly got the card to save on gas since they have the cheapest station around. But if its going to help me with my grocery bill to, why not use it.

I shop at BJ's. I find that if I can use a coupon it is usually a better deal then other places. Always check their front display because they will have additional coupons there. I usually buy diapers, cleaning supplies, meat and some frozen and dry goods there....sounds like mostly everything! Have fun. Be careful I rarely get out of there for under $150!

Yes..they have good coupons, mail you coupons and accept manufacturer coupons too. I buy milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas, strawberrys, cereal and all kinds of other stuff. Right now, laundry detergent is reduced due to packaging changes.

Yes..they have good coupons, mail you coupons and accept manufacturer coupons too. I buy milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas, strawberrys, cereal and all kinds of other stuff. Right now, laundry detergent is reduced due to packaging changes.

Can I ask what kind of detergent? I was there twice this weekend and wish I would have saw this! :bitelip:

It's like any other shopping--you have to know what the prices are in the other places you shop in order to compare. Since sizes are quite different in warehouse clubs, you need to know unit prices. Many things are much more expensive at BJs and other things are great buys. What's a good deal will depend on where you live and where you normally shop.

For me, the dog food is a deal, as are dried mushrooms, yeast, soy sauce and a handfull of other things. But most things are not, even though I really want them to be. :rotfl:

We love to shop there. I priced kitty litter at Walmart and the price was $12 for 28lbs..BJS was $12 for 40 lbs. The charmin toilet paper is a great buy compared to other stores. I love it when they send me coupons for $2.00 off force flex trash bags. The bags are a very value at BJs. Scotts lawn fertilizer and weed control was the same price as Lowes however you got 3,000 sf more of the product at BJS. We also spray our lawn with Cutter mosquito repellent. Target & Walmart price was $9.95 for one bottle. BJS price was $14.00 for 2 bottles. Shampoo (head and shoulders) is cheaper at BJS as is Tylenol, shaving cream.

When I renewed our membership a few months ago I also did some shopping. With the instant savings offers on the products I bought and my coupons my receipt showed I had saved enough during that shopping trip to almost pay for my membership. And that was right after the renewal so I still had 12 months of savings ahead of me so I know it is worth it to have the membership.
Not too mention they often have their gas prices cheaper than other stations. Sometimes it is ten cents cheaper.

I get a lot of stuff there. Diapers, wipes, bread, cold cuts, chicken nuggets, Beechnut baby food..those are the best deals for me. I use coupons and that brings the price down a bit. Some things I find to be higher than what I would pay at Target or Walmart's regular stores (not grocery stores).

Can I ask what kind of detergent? I was there twice this weekend and wish I would have saw this! :bitelip:

I just stocked up on All and just noticed the Wisk is reduced. I'm thinking the Gain and Era may be soon to follow. It doesn't go bad and there is always laundry!!!

Contacts prices are really cheap as well. DS's contacts were $79 at the optical store, but only $39 at BJ's.

We also shop at BJ's and have been for almost 5 yrs now. We saved tons on diapers when kids were babies, as well as formula. We usually shop there once a month, we use to go every week. We don't usually walk out of there under $150.00.

The great thing about BJ's is if you have a package of toothpaste that have 4 tubes in it, you can use 4 coupons on that one package!!!! If you have a coupon that say a $1.00 of 2, you can you 2 coupons for that item. Sometimes I walk out of there save around $20-30 just in coupons!!!

Don't forget you can use a BJ's coupon with a manufacturer coupon too, even though the BJ's say "manufacturer" on them :thumbsup2

We use it for gas too - and car tires. I love the bakery items - sliced cheesecakes and the ready to bake large cookies especially.
I've gotten good deals on eyeglasses and even car rentals using their codes & coupons too .

You do have to compare prices to be sure it's really a deal though, and I agree with PP who said it's hard to get out of there without spending $150. Even if I go in for just a few things, by the time I come out, I've surprised myself with the total cost after all those unplanned added "bargains"...

We shop Bj's too.......i am due to renew my membership next trip. i am thinking of upgrading to the one that earns cash back, anyone have this type? I am just wondering if its worth the $80, i probably spend at least 200 a month at bj's prob more.

Well,if you're planning a trip to WDW this summer, they have Misty Mate Misters at 3/$15 :)

I've always done well with cleaning products there. If you have a child in diapers, their house brand compares favorably to Huggies.

Their sheet cakes are WONDERFUL-- not too sweet and $19.99 for a half sheet! (I got one for my daughter's Communion last week and it got rave reviews.)

I always pick up a 4 pack of their butter too, for about the price of a single pound in the supermarket.

And somehow I always manage to spend between $200 and $300 each time I go.

I'm one of the weird ones that only buys $50=100 worth of things and it lasts two weeks...

The liquor prices are cheaper here than anywhere else. I don't have much luck in the coupons department there. I have also found that they run out of advertised specials quickly. If an item is buy one get one free, that item will be out of stock for about 2 months.

I can find milk cheaper at Wegmans. Cereal, lunchmeat, some snacks are consistently cheaper. Right now coffee is cheaper at BJ's. You do need to do unit price because that will show you that you are getting the best deal. However, make sure the unit price shows the same amount-for example in two products one unit price may be measured in quarts and the other in per 100 serving... you need to check those carefully.

I have found that bread can be bought cheaper at other stores than BJ's.

I can get two loaves of bread for just about the price I pay for one at local supermarlkets. Milk is cheaper, eggs are cheaper, cold cuts are cheaper. I but romaine hearts, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes regularly. Oranges and apples seasonally. Chop meat is much, much cheaper than supermarkets and better quality. I buy Good Seasons, canned soups, canned ravioli, Trident gum, dog treats, bottled water, etc. at much lower prices. DH and I have been members for more years than I would like to remember! :) Not all of our BJ's sell gas but the last time I went to one a few weeks ago it was about $.08 cheaper a gallon.

My parents have been BJ's members since it was only for business owners and continue to use their membership often! I know that they buy paper towels, toilet paper (for home & my dad's business) and cat food there. I'm not sure about anything else because I know that it's not very convenient in terms of location for them.

I just got a membership late last fall because I needed new tires on my car. Only spent ~$400 with a $60 off coupon and got an 80,000 mile guarantee on Michelins (great deal).

I live in an apartment so we do NOT have much room for bulk. Therefore I can't take advantage as much as I'd like, but still go once a month for food and go regularly for gas. Gas is ~10 cents cheaper. I've seen it better and worse than that, but it's pretty much always cheaper.

I buy milk, laughing cow cheese (normally $5/1 at my local store, BJ's has $8/3), bulk containers of yoplait light yogurt, lunchmeat, natural peanut butter and perdue chicken. I have a raw chicken phobia and BJ's sells 12 breasts in a container already packaged into 2 breast plastic pouches. Since it's just DBF and I- they are PERFECT for meals. The exact size we need when making a recipe, and they are already packaged for freezing.

I also sometimes get razor refills, men's deodorant and mens/womens shave gel. When I got laser eye surgery in January I had to buy lots of Refresh drops. Most places have them $13 for a box of 30. BJ's has $17 for a box of 100!! I made up more than my membership fee right there because I had to buy 3 boxes.

I love BJ's and will be a lifelong member. I can't wait until I can move into a house and start buying other things in bulk. Right now we just don't have the room.

Here is Massachusetts, sometimes you can use multiple coupons for each item. For example, say you buy a three pack of toothpaste. The package consists of three tubes each in a separate box but with shrink wrap around it all of them so it is in one big package. The rule is that if you could sell each of these tubes individually, you could use three separate coupons. Many of the bjs workers don't even know this. I often have to call over a manager. So just to reiterate, if you open the big package and inside there are several smaller ones each packaged individually like in their kleenex, toliet paper, butter etc. you can use more than one coupon!

I can get two loaves of bread for just about the price I pay for one at local supermarlkets. Milk is cheaper, eggs are cheaper, cold cuts are cheaper. I but romaine hearts, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes regularly. Oranges and apples seasonally. Chop meat is much, much cheaper than supermarkets and better quality. I buy Good Seasons, canned soups, canned ravioli, Trident gum, dog treats, bottled water, etc. at much lower prices. DH and I have been members for more years than I would like to remember! :) Not all of our BJ's sell gas but the last time I went to one a few weeks ago it was about $.08 cheaper a gallon.

I guess my local BJ's is in competition with local grocery stores: Shoprite, Acme and Wegmans and a produce store which does not help BJ's prices

Wegmans has cheaper milk (still less than $3!)
Shoprite has cheaper bread
Shoprite has cheaper eggs

Bottled water 35 pack is cheaper at BJ's by 12 cents. Wegmans and Shoprite has the same price for a 24 pack.

Meat is cheaper at Shoprite than BJ's.
However, seafood is cheaper at BJ's than the three grocery stores. In the same town there is a fish market, which is cheaper than all the stores combined.

Liquor prices are best at BJ's.
Bananas are the same price at BJ's than produce store

On the whole, I find BJ's produce prices outrageous. I guess because the produce store is right up the road (not even a mile)

I have to really watch the prices and unit prices because I feel that I am getting some deals and some I am not.

I buy Tide, Bounce, Downy, Magic Erasers, dishwasher soap, soap, diapers, wipes, purdue chicken, cheerios, goldfish and Scott Toilet paper only at Bj's. The soy milk my one year old drinks is much cheaper at BJ's than at the supermarket. The eggs are also cheaper. Around the holidays, I buy the ingredients for cookies there too b/c I use more of the sugar, flour, etc. I've also found cheese to be cheaper there too.

I prefer BJ's to Costco b/c BJ's has more items that I buy. You can also use BJ's coupons and manufacturer coupons for the same items which is a pretty big savings on things like Pampers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter