Just how much are the Magic Bands tracking?

5Hfan

DIS Veteran
Trying to put aside issues with Fast Pass + and glitching with My Disney Experience, can someone link me to info telling us just exactly what and when the bands are being tracked? Always in the parks, only when scanned, within x number of feet of scanners, outside of the parks but on property, or even off property???

Disney has invested over a Billion in this right, so they really really want the data and to try and herd guests to suit the company. Just very curious to know exactly what/how they are watching!!

Trying to put aside issues with Fast Pass + and glitching with My Disney Experience, can someone link me to info telling us just exactly what and when the bands are being tracked? Always in the parks, only when scanned, within x number of feet of scanners, outside of the parks but on property, or even off property???

Disney has invested over a Billion in this right, so they really really want the data and to try and herd guests to suit the company. Just very curious to know exactly what/how they are watching!!

In the parks, you are pretty much being tracked everywhere you go.

They know when you are sleeping
They know when you're awake
They know if you've been bad or good
Just spend cash for goodness sake....

Disney isn't saying from what distance the bands can be read. Or in how many doorways and other places they have receivers tucked.

The applications for demographic data are mind-boggling. How many forty-year-old men went into Cosmic Rays at noon? How many fifty-year-old women used the restrooms in Frontierland between 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. How many thirty-year-old women went into the Emporium and didn't buy anything? How many thirty-year-old women from Iowa with two children aged 4 and 6 went into the Emporium and didn't buy anything. (Or did buy something -- and what was it!?)

Disney can analyze the patterns of arrival and departure, purchasing and other consumption, and use of every facility of any kind. It will allow them to plan with incredible precision for future projects and enhancements. They might be able to find your lost child. So it could be wonderful. It's also a little creepy.

Let's see:

1) How many times you stopped to use the restroom
2) Which restroom you used
3) How many squares of toilet tissue you used
4) How many times the auto-flusher activated before you were able to leave the stall
5) If you washed your hands
6) If #5, how long did the water in the sink run for you to wash your hands
7) How much soap did you use
8) Did you use are dryer or papertowels?

You get the drift. But, if Snowden mentions it there will be a HUGE outcry.

Let's see:

1) How many times you stopped to use the restroom

and it sends a report if you leave the seat up, don't flush or don't wash your hands so they can deal with you when you check in for your ADRs

and it sends a report if you leave the seat up, don't flush or don't wash your hands so they can deal with you when you check in for your ADRs

If you believe Disney, then you would be lead to believe that people only wash their hands on average of 2.5 times/day. :)

They are just beginning to get this thing rolling but probably each week there are more and more sensors being placed everywhere. RFID technology to track is not new, it's really very old technology, but it's just in the last ten years or so become more and more affordable to be able mass distribute chips, especially those that do not need close contact (like the RFID tickets do) such as the MagicBands. Aside from all the things it will activate for the guests (aside from glitches) they are probably looking at the data two ways at the moment.

Directly from MagicBand #123456 associated with YOU:
- Where you stayed and how long you stayed IN your room - they def know when you open your door and can probably tell when the band leaves the room. In room means no spending.
- If you had a car, did you come and go through the gate and when, indicating you didn't utilized buses or left property - that can be verified if you did not enter a park or charge anything right now, later they may be able to grab the data as you drive out the property gate :scratchin Think Sunpass.
- Obviously they can track your coming and going at the parks, which rides you went on, how you used FP+.
- They are def tracking your spending if you charged to MB, so not only do they know where you ate but what you ate.

They can use all the above data to market directly to your needs/likes and to offer specials to get you to try things you might not have tried. Say you had lots of great pictures but in the end did not buy any. Maybe next trip you will be offered a special rate on the photos ... why? because if you know you get unlimited photos for maybe $100 you might be inclined to get in more character lines, character meals etc and therefore they are moving traffic around and keeping you in parks etc longer. When I buy PP+ I take way more photos than trips without it. I think in time we might see computer generated email offerings hitting us right in the park based on perceived behaviors. EX: Your FP+ are all in the morning, your lunch ADR is at 1 pm. They have openings in a TS that night. Maybe you get an email that offers you % off a dinner at that location or a special fastpass for a coveted ride but it's at 5 pm, therefore keeping you in park because not enough time to go elsewhere...

Directly from MagicBand but put into a database for location:
- They will know when you enter a store, enter a restaurant, use a bathroom, see a character, enter a standby line or see a show without scanning. Tracking your likes and dislikes along with all others could show them value in what they offer. It can eventually track wait times, no more red card on a lanyard.

EX: DHS Writer's Stop, it's changed a few times over the years. Say that right now they know what their sales are and they are not high enough. Pre-MB they only knew total sales. They want to know why sales are low? MB will tell them the different scenarios. (A) Sensor inside says 600 entered shop, 300 stayed longer than 10 minutes, 200 purchased something. Yes there are spots to sit and rest but the ultimate goal is you buy snacks to enjoy while you do. So in this scenario 33% made a purchase. They will know if this is good or bad, particularly in dollars spent vs expenses. Do they need to change what they are offering inside the store to increase sales? (B) Sensors outside say that 10,000 walked past the store within the 10 foot walkway. Sensors inside only 600 walked into the store. Is this okay? Do they maybe have an exterior design issue that makes the store unappealing or uninteresting. Do people understand what they sell? (C) Sensors inside store and inside display with radius reduced. Although they do not sell this in Writer's Stop, the process is same - the new line of makeup and it's displays. They can put sensors right in the display that can track how many looked at the items, how long they stayed in proximity, then compare it with the sales. Is is okay? Is it located in the wrong store? Is it being totally ignored or is it generating lots of interest but no sales, maybe it's price point is wrong. Or maybe after you have left you get an email offering you a discount off some makeup to get you back to the store.

The MagicBands can track, probably farther than most realize, potentially (although I don't think current design) think about the SunPass (toll payment transponder). You are often moving very fast in your lane as the chip is picked up by a transponder. Slow moving humans won't be hard to follow. But Disney has to place the transponders all over to truly "follow you". Their goal to to track your likes/dislikes/spending etc so they can encourage you to stay longer, move about and spend more OR to adjust their offering/structure if they find that what is in place is not generating the outcome they want. Key is get them on as many arms as possible. You are not going to find a link about what is exactly being tracked .... they'll keep that to themselves.

of course once you enter the park you can cover your head with a tin foil hat so they can not read your thoughts

:lmao:

of course once you enter the park you can cover your head with a tin foil hat so they can not read your thoughts

:lmao:

I wouldn't actually mind if I could selectively permit them to know what I was thinking (or wishing for). There are a few things I'd really like Disney to know :)

Is there a wallet/box of sorts that you can put your bands/cards in that will block the signals? Even though I'm an incredibly boring person I really don't like being tracked... even for benign reasons.

Driving up to The Contemporary security guard, I went to get my ID out, he said just put your MB here. In about 3 seconds he knew that we stayed at AoA our first night, then moved to Saratoga Springs. Home address, phone number and what park tickets we had. At first I was amazed, then it was just creepy. If a guy in a booth in the middle of a parking lot has that info on a hand held scanner, how much more info does the main computer have on it?

Driving up to The Contemporary security guard, I went to get my ID out, he said just put your MB here. In about 3 seconds he knew that we stayed at AoA our first night, then moved to Saratoga Springs. Home address, phone number and what park tickets we had. At first I was amazed, then it was just creepy. If a guy in a booth in the middle of a parking lot has that info on a hand held scanner, what does the main computer have on it?

All of that info came from the main computer.

How much do you want to be tracked? I don't intend to wear the Magic Band on my wrist and when it is not, it will be safely tucked away in an RFID protected pocket of my waistpack. It will be safely tethered to the pocket by a flexible cord and used for park entry, FP+ redemption and room entry since, apparently, no cards are being issued as backup. They will know when I enter a park (not necessarily when I leave). They will know when I enter and leave my room and they will know when I ride my FP+ reserved rides.

They will not know my spending patterns since I use cash. Yes, I have and will continue to use cash for QS meals and purchases.

They may or may not know where I eat since I use gift cards purchased at Target for that. Depends on whether or not they track these by number. However, if they do, they will only know what Target I bought them at.

They will always know what I put in my MDE account. Can't get away from that no matter what ticket media you use.

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm putting on my aluminum foil hat! ;)

Driving up to The Contemporary security guard, I went to get my ID out, he said just put your MB here. In about 3 seconds he knew that we stayed at AoA our first night, then moved to Saratoga Springs. Home address, phone number and what park tickets we had. At first I was amazed, then it was just creepy. If a guy in a booth in the middle of a parking lot has that info on a hand held scanner, what does the main computer have on it?
Does your home address actually show because that would be an invitation to go and rob your home? Scary.:confused: the cm's know your not at home and maybe tells there friends who live close to you to go and rob you.

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm putting on my aluminum foil hat! ;)

Whats scarier is folks going through the parks with a scanner pulling your info off the bands.

Yeah it is not that far fetched and I can see it happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter