• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just changed ressies from 2 OKW Studios to SSR 2brdm!!

mykidslovesdisney

DIS Veteran
We had 2 studios at OKW booked for 8/15-8/23. DH was worried about no W/D during the stay (we always stayed in a 2bdrm). He woke up yesterday asking me if there would be a 2bdrm avail? UMMH -- MS would know. I called and was surprised there were no 2bdrms available at OKW. We stay there every other year and it never seems filled. But they had SSR available. Plus it was a dedicated!! so we are now staying at SSR -- first time and the dc are excited!! I think DH is excited about the W/D (2 wks w/o WD for 6 is rather scarey!!):rotfl:

What can anyone tell me about SSR. I been reading the threads but my head spins with all the different buildings and pools and food areas. We have never done on line check in. We have always had good luck with regular check in. OKW gives us usually 3-4 different buildings to choose from. We generally check in around 1030am. I read that SSR is undergoing soft refurbishment. DS and DD have allergies and asthma-- When OKW was under refurb - I requested a finished room and was given a choice of several different buildings. What buildings are finished for the refurb already?

we are very excited! in 21 sleeps we will be sleeping on the Autotrain- chugging towards WDW!!

Well I am at SSR right now...we prefer the congress park section because we like to walk to DTD. There is a quiet pool that we use at night. We love the main pool during the day- bar, refill station,and pool parties- and it is just a short walk. I believe congress park has already had the soft refurb because we have the horse pillows etc. that I saw pics of when the changes were announced. (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong;))

It really is a beautiful resort! Our home resort is VWL, but we have stayed here at SSR the last 2 years because we really love it.

We have not had issues with buses, although I really can't figure out the pick up/drop off patterns :confused3

I forgot to say that both times we stayed here I was asked at check-in what section I preferred to be in...

Grandstand is the first bus stop so getting seats is a higher probability. It's a short walk to the main pool, and restaurants and gift shop. It also has a nice quiet pool.

Paddock has the new pool with great slide and CS, also mug refill station.

Congress Park is close to DTD and has a great quiet pool with a view of DTD. There is also a playground there.

Springs is close to main area of resort, but is the last bus stop.

I'd avoid Carousel. Far from pools (doesn't have one of its own).

Bus stop order: Grandstand, Carousel, Paddock, Congress Park, Springs.

HTH

We've had several wonderful stays at SSR, all in a 2br! We love the Congress Park area the most, DTD view! I also love OKW and though it gets bashed a lot it's always booked thus how we've ended up at SSR. The only disapointement I've encountered at SSR was when they put us into Carousel, two times in a row! To me, that area is remote, we had the view of the parking lot and the guard house (both times, go figure), not to mention it's no where near the restaurants, the boat dock! Did it ruin my vacation, absolutely not, but it certainly didn't enhance it by any means!

That's when I learned to make requests, and it has worked! Last 4 SSR stays, all Congress Park! I think they put people who don't make requests in Carousel!

We're headed to Kidani in Aug, can't wait! Enjoy your stay!

That's when I learned to make requests, and it has worked! Last 4 SSR stays, all Congress Park! I think they put people who don't make requests in Carousel!
!

This will be our first DVC trip coming up. We have never made requests on prior trips. When/how do you make requests? Call? When you get there to check-in? :confused3 Thanks!

We just stayed at SSR for the first time two weeks ago. Great resort. We are used to the more concentrated, more deluxe dvc properties...but had no complaints about SSR. We were put in Grandstand and were a pleasant 10 minute walk from feature pool, spa, lobby, shop, food places. Our bldg had another pool nearby with a splash area and laundry. Busses were great...frequent and not overcrowded. Very clean and appeared to be refurbed recently...enjoy!

This will be our first DVC trip coming up. We have never made requests on prior trips. When/how do you make requests? Call? When you get there to check-in? :confused3 Thanks!
I make them at the time I book the res., of course there is no guarantee but it can't hurt! I've also e-mailed MS requests through the website, Contact us feature, after the fact. Don't wait to check in! I did on-line check in and my keys & packet etc. to Carousel were ready when I arrived and at that point I wouldn't ask anyone to make changes.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the replies. Carousel definitely does not sound like fun! I will put a request in = probably for Grandstand. We usually just get a choice at check in- never done online ck in. This is the first year we will have refill mugs so being close to a refill station would be nice. We were not sure what we would do with the the mugs at OKW since there is only one refill station.

Does Grandstand have water/DTD views? I take it SSR is indoor corridors/elevators unlike OKW - outdoor stairs/entrances?

Is there room in the 2nd bedroom for a twin air mattress? Not sure of sleeping arrangements. I dont think there is a sleeping chair like in OKW. I hate having the pullout sofa open all week. Is the sleeper sofa the kind with the bar in the middle?

Thanks for all the responses-- please keep them coming. We are very excited to stay at a new resort!

No view of DTD or water. We had a nice view of woods - balcony was a decent size so we enjoyed that. Rooms within blogs are connected by open air hallway. The pool nearest to Grandstand has refill station. Also if you bring a car, plenty of parking right outside your door.

we are 15 days from check in. I was able to find some youtube videos of the resort which helped.

good to know the cars are right outside your villa-- I was worried about that one. We love it when we are at OKW>

I am a little dissappointed that the master bed room does not have a balcony. From the floor plans it looks like the 2nd bdrm has the balcony but in a video I watched their 2nd bdrm had no balcony. Only balcony was off the living room. Guess I am spoiled by OKW. Not a huge thing but I love to sit outside for some quiet mom time.

We are going to wing it on location. Not do on line check in (never have). We have been always given a bunch of choices so we will see what we get.

Can you see any fireworks from SSR?? 2 yrs ago at OKW we had views of MK and MGM (I think) from our 3rd floor villa.

I think my youngest will love the Paddocks pool area. He is a real fish in the water!

thanks for all the replies.

The only area completely finished with rehabs is Congress Park, they are working on the Springs area now.

SSR has covered semi open hallways, you enter from the front of each building.

As to views at Grandstand most all are of the golf course.

I like getting one of the buildings closest to Downtown Disney, especially if I don't have car. It is a short walk there to the bustop for Downtown Disney and you can get a bus directly to any of the other resorts.

It is the only place where you can get a bus to anywhere in Disneyworld with only a short walk. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter