• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back- some observations.......

Kteacher

<font color=660099>Not your average kindergarten t
Just returned last night from a quick 4 day trip to the world ( 12/3-12/6 ). Some of the things I noticed:

Crowds- I've never been this time of year, and everything I've read and heard said this was one of the least crowded times . We've been April school vacation week and 4th of July week, and the crowds in the MK compared to those in April. The day they were filming the Christmas parade in MK was the least crowded we saw MK the whole trip.

Ride maintenance- we had more rides break down while we were in line or on the ride then we've ever experienced : Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear , Mission Space

Mission Space- They give all those warnings for a reason. I followed all the directions, and I didn't feel well for at least an hour after we rode this.

Cast Members- Lots of smiling helpful cast members :D They were all great!

MVMCP- We went Sunday, 12/5, which was not sold out. It was extremely crowded. There is no way you could see or do everything :earseek:The cookies and cocoa were great, and things were very clearly marked and organized around the park, but there were long lines for most of the rides in Fantasyland, and long lines for all the characters.

Restaurants- California Grill is still our favorite. Best meal of the trip!! We like 50's Prime Time, but the last 2 times we've been there was little interaction with our waiter, and we were really rushed through our meal. On our stop there this trip our waitress barely spoke to us, and we were in and out in about a half hour. We tried Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time , and unfortunately will be crossing it off our list - even though we had a PS we waited over a half hour for a table. Some tables near us got bread baskets, some didn't, and the food was mediocre (and expensive!). It definitely tasted like Stouffer's frozen meals.

Weather- glad we packed a little of everything because we needed sweatshirts and tank tops this trip. Saturday we were in long pants and fleece pullovers-I saw one woman with a full length down coat on!- and Sunday and Monday we were in shorts and t shirts.

Our new favorite ride- the steam train! We've never ridden it before, and tried it. If you've never idden it give it a try :D

Short trips- this was a four day trip for just me and my DS14. We were able to do a lot, but still felt the trip was too short (aren't they all!)

I have to say that you have many of the same observations that I had. I thought it was much more crowded than I had anticipated. And we had a huge number of atttraction failures also. Then again, being walked off BTMRR was sort of a highlight for us!! But, the weather was nice. And it's always a nice way to start the holidays. I guess maybe we've talked it up too much and everyone else wants to be a part of it!!

As far as Liberty Tree Tavern goes...............we noticed the same thing when we went there this past trip. We asked the waitress about it. She said that the new way they handle bread is that they give it if the customer asks for it. She said that because of the latest low carb diets, many bread baskets were going untouched so they were wasting lots of bread. Now they just give the bread if you ask. That is one of our favorites............their bread with the honey butter!

TLHB70, Thanks for that bit of info on the bread! We'll be there in several weeks, trying LTT for 1st time. We'll be sure to ask for bread (honey butter? Yum!!)

I am glad you enjoyed your Disney vacation, after all it is far too expensive not to enjoy! Regarding the crowds, since the economy is back on track (or at least getting there), I think the next year will show increased attendance as families that could not go since the 9/11 time are now able to more afford the trip.

TLHB70 said:
As far as Liberty Tree Tavern goes...............we noticed the same thing when we went there this past trip. We asked the waitress about it. She said that the new way they handle bread is that they give it if the customer asks for it. She said that because of the latest low carb diets, many bread baskets were going untouched so they were wasting lots of bread. Now they just give the bread if you ask. That is one of our favorites............their bread with the honey butter!

Do they at least offer the bread of do you have to know that they have it to ask for it?

On our most recent trip to WDW we went to the restaurant twice. On our first visit to the restaurant, the server offered it to us. On our second trip (two days later) the bread was not offered. We asked about it then. That is when our waitress told us that. Honestly, we love the bread and cannot imagine any one not wanting it. The honey butter is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we just returned as well, and thought it was a bit more crowded than we expected. However, we were there right after 9/11, so I've seen the park at its emptiest....nothing else could possibly compare. We didn't have long line waits at all, so it didn't matter.

We just got back too! I was a little surprised at the crowd at MVMCP on 11/28, and the parks did seem pretty busy every other day. But, we never really had long waits for anything, so no complaints here. (Kteacher-we were at the MK the day of the parade too!)

I don't think there really is an "empty" time anymore. It is certainly a bit quieter from labor day through most of October, and Feb isn't to bad but I think the old premise of having low attendance the weeks prior to x-mas isn't as accurate as it used to be. WDW is always a little crowded, and why wouldn't it be?
On a side note my daughter and her family were at Disneyland 2 weeks ago and had no wait longer than 15 minutesfor any attraction. She is a WDW veteran and thus found Disneyland to be empty. Maybe its all what you are used to. If your experience is always the week after x-mas then anything else would be gravy. :teleport: :cool: :earboy2:

We were there from 12/1-12/5. I thought crowds were light until 12/4(Sat.), but then we usually go in the summer when they are busy. We never waited more than 20 minutes for anything and most were 5 minutes or less. That was heaven for us. The party on 12/2 was busy ,but managable,but 12/3 was packed! We ate at LTT and found the food very good. We were given bread to start with and really enjoyed the food. The character interaction was great. They even went and got Minnie when we were ready to go, but hadn't seen her yet. :wave:

I'd imagine that some of the extra crowds might be from those who had to defer their trips from the hurricaines. As for the food tasting like it's Stoeffers... it is! They sponsor this or something.

We were there at the same time. I purposely stayed away from MK on Sat. when they were filming the parade because I heard it would be packed. I now wish we would have gone there that day, since the crowds were low. Oh well, can't change it now. HaHa!

We were at the 12/2 party....did not seem near as crowded as party's had been in the past....this one was not sold out.

We got in at 4pm, went straight to adventureland....had about a 5 minute wait for Aladdin. Got to Splash and Big Thunder about 5:30...both were walk-ons. Could not even imagine waiting in line for 1-2 hours just for a ride.

I agree, bairdbeth. We love LTT's food!!!! We go every time we are in MK! I LOVE the pot roast and the bread with honey butter! My DH loves the hamburger, Old Glory. My two dds love the tiny bottles of ketchup, mayo, etc. that they receive with their plates. I have never had any bad food, service, etc. I highly recommend the restaurant!

I also found the crowds to be a bit heavier than our other annual trips in Nov. and Dec. However, I think it is do to rescheduling from the hurricanes too. It is never too crowded for me, though. I love WDW anytime! :earboy2:

We were there for two weeks (week of Thanksgiving and this past week). I thought the crowds were normal. Even Thanksgiving wasn't too bad using fastpasses and not rushing trying to do everything. The worst day for us was the Monday before Thanksgiving. AK was extremely crowded and MK was horrific at night. We went to Spectromagic that night. Tuesday & Wed of THanksgiving week at Universal & IOA were practically empty.
Last week at the parks felt normal for that time of the year. Maybe only slightly more crowded due to some people being there with the hurricanes.

We ate at LTT too and we had to ask for bread. Its a new policy. I think they should ask you. That would be better. Some people seemed offended that they didn't get any when another table did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter