• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back- short reviews w/ Disney Dining

jlsandman

Earning My Ears
Just got back last night and this board was so helpful to us. We had some good meals and some great meals, here is the lowdown:
Captain Jacks (picked this one after our kids refused to go to the parks, wanted to swim, and we were scheduled to go to Coral Reef): its great if you eat lobster. Otherwise the menu is pretty limited so check online before you go. The lobster tail was terrific as was the spinach dip and the clam chowder. Service was great and the atmosphere was mellow. Limited desserts.
Boma- I don't like buffets but I wanted to try some african dishes and Boma was great. Alot to chose from including really great soups. The kids ate both african and american food and really enjoyed it as well. Terrific dessert choices.
Chef Mickey- Major disappointment. Characters spent 2-3 minutes a table which was ok but the atmosphere was not fun or celebratory. Food was mediocre at best. Would not go back.
Le Cellier- Truly great. Wonderful atmosphere and service. We almost weren't done in time for Illuminations and our waitress said not to rush, we could always walk out to see it and then come back to finish the meal (who knew that was an option). If you are on disney dining, be prepared to leave alot of food on the plate, it is way too much with an appetizer and their great bread. Steaks were enormous. Desserts were fabulous too.
Ragland Road- We were supposed to go to Japan at Epcot but it was raining and that is a far walk from the entrance so we called Disney Dining to see what our options were. We got in to Ragland Road and it was really excellent. It is never discussed on these boards, even my 2007 guidebook said review pending. Its an upscale irish pub. There was alot of variety on the menu and the kids menu was the best of any restaurant including fried shrimp and fish and chips. Terrific bread and dessert menu too. If you are staying near downtown disney, or not going to the parks one day, this is a really great choice and its fun to walk around too b/c its on Pleasure Island.

As for counter service, we struggled a bit with my 8 year old b/c the kids choices were often VERY limited and he had to order a kids meal if one was offered. For example at Pecos Bills in MK, the only choices were chilled chicken or sloppy joe. Kind of odd choices when the main item on the menu is burgers. Couldn't they throw a smaller burger on the kids menu? We had a little trouble locating chicken tenders and on at least 1 occasion I switched my meal with his. Its not even like he is picky, its just that the choices at MK were just odd.

Snacks were terrific, most menus had a symbol of what counted as a snack and we had lots of good ones: brownies, smoothies, waffle cones, ice cream, candy, etc... We had 8 credits left over that we used for take home gifts at the gift shop our last day.

One last thing, my son was celebrating his birthday this trip and had a birthday button on. Every single restaurant did something special for him so be sure to wear your button (get one at Town Hall in MK or from most restaurants) or mention that you are celebrating.

All in all I would say that Disney Dining is a great deal even if you leave alot behind (in addition to never finishing, we also left 2 TS kids and 1 CS on the card). Feel free to post questions.

HI! I am glad you had a good trip and seem to have enjoyed most of your meals.:)

I am still trying to decide on one more meal for our August trip, even posted a thread on this board asking for opinions. I know many people do rave over Boma. We have never tried it. I have never had African food and DS (14 )is picky in that he likes meats but without any" fancy" sauces. He liked Ohana's meats, but I know we are probably talking about 2 totally different dining experiences. Just wondering if you think Boma's food is only for the adventurous or if you think there would be enough to choose from? Anything more you can tell me about Boma would be great. Thanks!!:)

Glad you had a great trip. I enjoyed your review. I imagine I will be switching my sc meals dd she is very picky eater plus she doesn't like to eat the same thing over and over again.

Steph ::MinnieMo

dh ::MickeyMo
ds2 yrs :earboy2:
dd 6 yrs :earsgirl:
dss 11 yrs :earsboy:

Did you have dinner or breakfast at Chef Mickey's?

We didn't care for the dinner at all, but loved the breakfast. However, we had more character interaction at dinner because we had the first ADR at 5PM when it opened for dinner. Our b-fast character interation was limited because we had a time in the middle of their serving hours and the place was packed.

What time were your ADRs for Le Cellier? We are going in April and I just realized with ADR at 8:30 I just know we will miss illuminations. Does illuminations start promptly at 9:00?

Glad to hear that you liked Cap'n Jack's. Hubby wants to dine here for his birthday because of the lobster tails and it seems to be the only one of our choices that has gotten some negative feedback. We'll be on the Dining Plan and have already eaten at Raglan and Wolfgang Puck's at DTD, so we wanted to try something new...even though we really liked both of those...we just decided that this trip would be all about trying new places.

And I'm really looking forward to Boma myself. We are planning on breakfast at Chef Mickey's also.

To those with questions, I am the OP:
I think Boma is for everyone, not just the adventurous. In fact, they actually served 4 sauces on the side with the chicken dish so you could pick what you wanted. Also, the prime rib did not come with a sauce. The salmon was in a sauce but it wasn't an extreme one. You should try it.

Regarding Le Cellier reservations, ours were at 7:30. We thought we would be done in time but we really weren't. If you want to eat at 8:30 just ask if its ok to go out and watch Illuminations, its a very short walk to the water, and come back. They were so accomodating. In the future, I won't worry about the times now that I know I can go out and come back.

Regarding Chef Mickey, we did go for dinner. We don't like to take alot of time in the morning. I just didn't like the whole experience. Because of the way it is set up, you can't always see the characters while they are with others. If you are on disney dining, it is a huge waste of a table service meal. If you are paying out of pocket, then you obviously just want to see the characters and I think that is ok.

Glad you liked the review.

Everytime I read what someone else has to say I change my mind about ADR's. We are scheduled to eat at Chef Micky' s for dinner our last night in the park. I was hoping the meal would be memorable in a good way, but not so sure know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter