Just Back. March 20th Animal Kingdom

mrbudyhed

Mouseketeer
So I wanted to get there by rope drop because the crowds at MK two days prior seemed way bigger than the projected 7/10. (Found out later they were actually observed to be 10/10.) We got through security and into park by 8:50 and the Navi river ride was already running even though the official open time was 9pm. Is this common with expected bigger crowds?

Yes. The advice right now is to arrive at AK 45 -60 min. before official open time if you want to rope drop. Bump that to 75 min. ahead on busy days. So, 9:00 opening means you should get there before 8:00a.m. They will let people into Pandora to line up 45 minutes before official opening, and they will start the rides 15-30 minutes early on busy days.

Recently returned from WDW. I was in the AK line at the front gate three mornings around 0745.
They started letting us in at 0800 and then held us at the bridge to Pandora until 0815-0820.
Both Nav'i river ride and Flight of Passage were open for guests.
Full park opening wasn't until 0900.

Yes. The advice right now is to arrive at AK 45 -60 min. before official open time if you want to rope drop. Bump that to 75 min. ahead on busy days. So, 9:00 opening means you should get there before 8:00a.m. They will let people into Pandora to line up 45 minutes before official opening, and they will start the rides 15-30 minutes early on busy days.

We were wondering why the line for FOP was already at 120 minutes and it wasn't even 9 yet!

So I wanted to get there by rope drop because the crowds at MK two days prior seemed way bigger than the projected 7/10. (Found out later they were actually observed to be 10/10.) We got through security and into park by 8:50 and the Navi river ride was already running even though the official open time was 9pm. Is this common with expected bigger crowds?
It's common all days actually. Crowd levels have nothing to do with it
They open early on a regular basis. All the parks do, though AK seems to be the one that actually starts running the rides early too.

They open early on a regular basis. All the parks do, though AK seems to be the one that actually starts running the rides early too.

I have never been let into EPCOT before 9 am opening.
AK, HS in early and the rides opening early.
MK, on Mainstreet before opening, but have not had them let you into the park before the stage show opening.

Recently returned from WDW. I was in the AK line at the front gate three mornings around 0745.
They started letting us in at 0800 and then held us at the bridge to Pandora until 0815-0820.

This was us last year during a non-busy time too. We went week after Labor Day and we were off both rides and walking out of the land a little before 9 am, with a 9:00 am opening. Both FoP and Navi were walk on for us.

MK, on Mainstreet before opening, but have not had them let you into the park before the stage show opening.
We have. Every time we make rope drop
Let in and stood waiting at the roped area right next to mouse gears to head back to TT (we FP Soarin)

As already noted, the early opening and ride operation in Pandora have been a daily thing since it opened nearly 2 years ago. The timing is not consistent (I've experienced early openings anywhere from 10-45 minutes before official park opening times), but I haven't been held until the "official" opening in the last couple of years over many visits in all different months. A lot of guests are not aware of this and are surprised by long standby lines already waiting for them in Pandora right at "opening" (just as many other guests are aware of the early opening - as evidenced by how many people get there 1+ hour before official opening). Just this week, we were let in almost 50 minutes early - exiting Pandora just before 9am I saw a group of just-arrived guests sprinting across the bridge and the leader yelling for everyone to hurry as there was hardly anyone in front of them yet (sadly unaware of the 2+hour line waiting just down the path).

Fun fact: you can RD the park twice in the same morning - since the other lands usually don't open along with Pandora, it's possible to RD for one of the rides there, get off that ride and (if it's still early enough) head to one of the bridges for Africa, Asia or Dinoland, where you'll be held for your second RD.

We've only been let into Epcot early once and it was only about 15 minutes. We've had the same experience as you at the other parks. I guess that it's the luck of the draw.

For me, the last few rope drop EPCOT days we were let in about 15 min early and held farther in the park. No rides open yet, and then another "rope drop" at official opening time. AK does change by give or take 5/10 min. or so, but it's always early thus far.

Last year (we were there in late Oct-early Nov.) it was easy to get into Na`vi River in the morning, no need to line up an hour before rope drop. We came in maybe 15-20 minutes after EMH started, and had a short wait. FOP is a different story, of course.

Yep, we were there last Friday. I was shocked that they let us into Pandora at 8:20. Rides and all. We rode NRJ 3 times as a legitimate walk-on before the park opened. About 8:50, we walked out of Pandora to see people still waiting at the ropes near Asia. It was DEFINITELY worth getting there early!

Would you suggest RD for FOP or close to closing? We will be there On Easter Sunday. I want to see Rivers of Light but they have two shows that day.

How does this work on a day at AK that has extra magic hours? Do they prevent non Disney resort guests from accessing Pandora from 8-9am or is it basically a free for all?

How does this work on a day at AK that has extra magic hours? Do they prevent non Disney resort guests from accessing Pandora from 8-9am or is it basically a free for all?
Non Disney resort guest can't access animal Kingdom during EMH

Would you suggest RD for FOP or close to closing? We will be there On Easter Sunday. I want to see Rivers of Light but they have two shows that day.

It really depends on your touring style (early bird or night owl) and if you want something more known (rope drop) or unknown (before close). If you rope drop on Easter Sunday, I would show up at AK gate around 1 hour and 15 min early (at Easter maybe an hour and half?). If you do that and you want to, you can ride FoP and then go straight to NRJ and ride both. If you go right at close there is no real way to know how long you will wait. The average seems to be around 40/50 min perhaps. So, you may get on faster, or slower. With it being Easter, I'd err on the side of figuring it will all take longer.

Riding both at RD is what we did in May. I think We will try RD and if lines are long try right before closing. That way we have two trys at it. Thanks for your input. We will try to be in line by 7:15 and no later than 7:30 for a 9:00 am opening

I prefer closing myself. If you go at park opening you need to get there around an hour before your guestimated opening time, so if it's posted 9:00 that means you'll guestimate they'll open at 8:15, so get there about 7:15 or so. Personally, I'd rather be sleeping in than standing around waiting on the park to open. I don't mind the waiting in line at closing time. Add to that, there are no FP returners after closing and the line moves pretty fast.
Oh, one more thing to consider. In the morning, they cut off the line so you can't go through the entire queue so you miss seeing a good bit of it, most of it actually. At least at night you get to see it, which is pretty much the main reason to stand in line

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter