Just Back from WL!

lclark0621

DIS Veteran
We got back last night from our week stay in the WL! After a few minor problems (our bathroom was covered in mold & mildew), our stay was wonderful. When we told the front desk about our bathroom being dirty, they offered us an immediate room change. However the people we were travelig with were only 2 doors down (and we had already completely unpacked). So they promised to have our room completely cleaned by our return from the park & it was.

The hotel was great again. We were kind of close to the food court (room 1028) which worked out great for us. It was easy access to get snacks & drinks. We had a ground floor room & every morning my DS could go outside & watch the birds & ducks in the lake whic he loved.

On nights we did not stay for the fireworks we had a nice view of them from our patio.

Crowds were kind of high in the parks, but managable. We only had one bad evening of rain. That night was kind of crazy. Lots of people grabbing for any poncho they could. Kids crying because of the loud thunder & lightening. We had about 200 glow sticks with us from home & were randomly handing them out to kids to make them stop crying. It seemed to work. Parents seemed thankful their kids were focusing on something other then the loud scary thunder. :rotfl2:

Our 21 month old DS LOVED every second of the trip. He keeps asking to see Mickey Mouse. My DS has a major crush on Minnie Mouse. When we finally saw her I thought he was going to pass out from excitment!

We had a great time overall! We decided to go back in Nov for my birthday!!!

We did not use the bus (DS loved the boat to much). But we did see it. The main sign at the bus stop still said TTC, but the small sign at bus stop 1 said MK.

From what we saw while waiting for the bus to other parks, the MK bus ran as regularly as every other bus they had. On the Grad nights they were running the bus like crazy! In the 15 minutes we were waiting for our MGM bus, we saw like 10 MK buses.

Was glad to see your post!
We're going to WL for the first time at the end of Nov. for my son's first WDW experience. He'll be 20 months old! Any tips for us for him? Thanks!

lclark0621 said:
. Kids crying because of the loud thunder & lightening. We had about 200 glow sticks with us from home & were randomly handing them out to kids to make them stop crying. It seemed to work. :rotfl2:

What lovely people you are!! My children would have been delighted! By the way (as I'll be teaching preschool next year) where does one get 200 glow sticks?

JJsmama said:
What lovely people you are!! My children would have been delighted! By the way (as I'll be teaching preschool next year) where does one get 200 glow sticks?

There are a large number of places that sell glow items on the internet. We just ordered necklaces and bracelets from glowuniverse.com for our upcoming trip. The price was right, and the delivery was fast.

JJsmama said:

I got ours' on ebay. I won a whole nuch for like a penny for 50 sticks. The sellers usually charge about $8.00 for shipping though. It is how they make their money on the glow sticks since the auctions go for so low. But it is worth it. I am going to get a whole bunch more for our next trip in Nov!

CheriePenguin said:
Was glad to see your post!
We're going to WL for the first time at the end of Nov. for my son's first WDW experience. He'll be 20 months old! Any tips for us for him? Thanks!

Ok here is what we found that works for us.

We generally started our day when DS woke up. No early entry or early breakfasts for us. We did a couple of character breakfasts, but we did late seatings for those (generally 10:00am). If DS woke up early on those days we would give him his morning milk & a light breakfast in the room (a nutragrain bar or something like that). Then head out. The light breakfast would hold him off until we actually ate our character meal.

We did go back to the hotel for a nap for most days. Usually though DS was to excited to sleep. But he would get an hour or so of quiet time. On the days he would nap, we would let him sleep usually as long as he wanted.

At home he only takes one nap a day. But in Disney World I found he wanted to nap several short naps during the day. I expected this. He would usually go to sleep on my or DH's shoulder or in his stroller. When he was sleeping we would find a quiet cool spot & relax or go into a show. These short naps usually lasted about 20 mins, and he would take a couple a day. There was just so much to excite him he would need a short nap to pull through...LOL!

Any type of routine we have at home, we threw out the window. We are not schedule people. DS will eat & sleep when he is tired or hungry at home. But he does kind of have a routine he set himself. I could not imagine being in Disney World & trying to stick to a schedule. There is just so much to do & see. Plus I would not want to be a slave to the clock on vacation.

If DS was still napping & we had a dinner PS, I would just quietly pick him up & carry him back to the park as he still slept. He would usually wake back up before we were eating. Our DS will sleep pretty much anywhere, so that is a big help.

We would eat when DS was hungry. If we had a PS for later & DS started to get hungry we would get him a light bite. Nothing worse then a hungry toddler! We would carry some snacks for him during the day. I had a lot of goldfish crackers & teddy grahms in the bag for him. They were great when he just wanted a snack & he also loves to play with them.

My DS likes a lot of milk during the day. We were just going to bring empty cups into the parks for him. But after the first time he wanted milk NOW when the lines were out the door (dinner time), we switched gears. We have one of those small light weight cooler bags for kids. We would fill a few cups of milk & put them in the cooler with the cold packs. We also took some empty cups. When DS wanted milk & there were no lines we would just go into a place & buy him some. But when he wanted it NOW & there were lines out the door, we had some ready for him. It was a BIG help.

I did not stress about eating & stuff while there. DS usually is a great eater & will pick vegetables over sweets at home. But in Disney he wanted a lot of french fries & chicken nuggets. This is probably because of all the excitment & the fact that we were traveling with friends who had older kids to. I let him eat "junk" as long as he ate. With all the excitement in Disney there were a lot of times he was even to excited to eat a meal (another reason why I always carried crackers & stuff).

However as soon as we got home he fell right back into his normal routine. Last night all he wanted for dinner was green beans, peas & some of the grilled chicken (He had no interest in junk food. This could be because we were back home or because he no longer saw or had the option of french fries. Either way, he is back to normal...LOL!). Since we knew our DS would get to excited to eat or eat well int he parks, we would do a lot of breakfasts in the hotel room. DH would go buy some stuff in the food court & bring it back. DS would eat a good breakfast while we got ready for the day. We would also try & do some good lunches in the hotel too. We would try & go back to the hotel around lunch time. That way DS could have his down time & get a good lunch in before doing the parks at night.

Again we dont schedule, but at home DS is generally in bed by 8:30pm (his choice). In Disney World he was staying up until 11:00pm or later! He wanted to see & ride everything. And that was fine with us. He did not get cranky & wsa loving it. I think those little naps during the day helped that a lot.

We started off with characters slowly. He loved them last year, however he hated Santa & the Easter Bunny. So I did not know what to expect. A few weeks before we left we were looking at websites, watching the planning video, showing him the videos & pics from last year & talking a lot about characters. We started off showing him Mickey Mouse in Toontown. He was ok until we got to close to him. He cried a bit but I held him & talked to him. We left there & as we walked around the parks we would point out characters to him & talk to him about how much he loved his "friends". By the morning of the second day he was actually throwing himself at the characters to hug them. He loved every second of it. He would get very excited when we saw someone new (especially if he knew them) & would start calling out their names. Characters became a big hit with us!

Our DS really loved every second of Disney World. It was a really great age to bring him. Now I can't wait to see his reaction in Nov when he will be almost 28 months old!

lclark0621 said:
Ok here is what we found that works for us.
Our DS really loved every second of Disney World. It was a really great age to bring him. Now I can't wait to see his reaction in Nov when he will be almost 28 months old!

Thanks so much for posting the details of things you did on your trip with your son! It was quite helpful.

I thought I had some other questions to ask you, but of course they have completely slipped my mind now! I'll post the questions when I remember them or come up with new ones.

for glowsticks.....
try orientaltrading.com

have used them for school functions and have done quite well

good luck

Thanks for your report. We LOVE WL and love to hear other people experiences there. Sorry about the bathroom, glad they fixed that promptly. Good idea with the glow sticks.

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting the details about travelling with a 2 yo !! Taking my DGrD when she is 2 in Oct - sounds like she has a similar temperament to your DS and your post was very reassuring (it's been a loooong time since I've taken a 2 yo to WDW !)

Next month DNeph (7) and I will be having dinner at AP and launching for our Wishes cruise from WL - I was thinking that he could swim in the pool between the two and could change in the health club (DVC members) - it's been many years since we've been over to WL and can't wait to see it again!! :smooth:

lclark0621:
Hi again - I remembered a couple of questions I wanted to ask, if you still don't mind answering.

I've read that the WL rooms are a little small, and that the big wooden bed frames were dangerous to small kids (and clutzy adults!). Did you have a 2 Queens room or Queen + Bunk Beds? Did you have any problems with the bed frames or the room size?

Did you take the WL bus to and from DTD? How was the wait and ride time?
Did you go to any other resorts? Did you go to MK or DTD and then bus to the other resort, or did you find another way?

Did you go over to Fort Wilderness, for the petting zoo or the campfire & movie?

Did you bring your own stroller? I still have some uncertainty about how the stroller thing works - one thing in particular, about waiting in line for rides. Do you have to park the stroller before getting in line, or can you use it in line and then park it when you get to the front of the line before entering the attractions?

What about taking the stroller onto boats and monorails (did they let you roll it on as I read?) How much of a pain was it to fold it and bring it on the busses? Did you take it with you on Kilimanjaro Safari?

Thanks so much for any answers and other advice you might be able to provide! :)

We will be going to WL in 21 days (YES!!!) with a 4 year old and our 20 month old so I wanted to subscribe to this thread, I wanted answers to the last question myself and am awaiting a reply. THANKS!

Lesley

Thr frames of the bed can be dangerous. They are a bit bigger then the actual beds, so the dont fit snuggly. I cracked my leg a couple of times on them.

We had 2 Queen beds. DH & I bumped those bed frames a couple of times, but DS never did. I guess since he was closer to them he could see them better (or he is just not as clumsey as his Mom & Dad...LOL!)

We did take the bus to DTD. We just missed one bus (saw it pull away), so had to wait for the next one. It took about 15 minutes for the bus to get there. Then we stopped at the GF & on to DTD. The whole ride took maybe 10 minutes.

We did go to the Contemporary. For that we just took the boat from the WL over. We also went to the GF & for that we took the boat to the MK, then the monorail around.

I wanted to go to the petting zoo really badly for my DS. Unfortunatly the other people in our traveling party were not into it & wanted to do other things with us. Hopefully we will get to go in Nov.

We did bring our own stroller. The Disney strollers look great, and are pretty convient. The problem for us is I know my DS would not get comfortable to sleep in them. We have a small folding stroller that has a basket under it & the seat reclines, as well as a full hood & a tray for DS to put things on. I think it was like $40 at Babies R Us. We bought it for our trip last year & brought it again this year. It worked great for us. We could recline DS when he wanted to rest & the hood kept the sun off his body. The basket was a must for all the stuff we had tro carry with us. Plus it was easier to find our stroller when we got off rides. Ours stuck out in the sea of Disney rental strollers.

As for what to do with strollers... Outside every ride is a stroller parking area. You just park your stroller & go. Sometimes CMs will move the strollers around to make more room. So dont panic if you dont see your stroller in the place you left it. Ours' was moved a lot by CMs. At first you just "know" your stroller was stollen. You get all hot & angry. Then you see it a few rows up. We learned quickly last year not to jump if our stroller was "missing", and just keep looking. We always found it.

We would grab all the expensive stuff out of the stroller when we parked it (cameras) & leave the rest in the basket.

Also what I love to do is buy one of the adult Disney ponchos. We would use 2 clothing line pins to attach it to the stroller whenever we went into a show or something. That way if we had one of those 20 min florida storms, our stroller stayed dry.

We could just roll the stroller onto the monorail, but we would close it if the monorail was busy. On the bus you cannot have the stroller open. Most drivers will not let you get on the bus if it is open. Some will but they make you close it as soon as you get to your seat. On boats we could just roll it right on.

It was not really a big deal. I would take DS & the bags, DH would close the stroller. We could get it done in a couple of seconds. Then I would carry DS & some of the bags on the bus, DH would take most if not all of the bags & the stroller onto the bus.

The Biggest advice I always give to people on vacation is, throw any schedule out the window. I know people will think I am nuts. And I admit we do not schedule DS at home. But I would hate the idea of being a slave to the clock on vacation. We let DS sleep when he was tired & eat when he was hungry & it worked great.

DS would stay up real late & have fun. He ate a lot of junk food at Disney. His naps were all off. Instead of taking one long nap each day like at home, he would sometimes take 2 & 3 short naps in his stroller or on my shoulder.

If DS was sleeping in the stroller, DH & I would take that time to go into a show or do some shopping. If he was sleeping on our shoulder, we would go on slow rides or again shows or shopping.

Also bring snacks! My DS loves goldfish crackers & teddy grahams. We brought a couple of the indivual packs with us each day. DS would eat them if he was hungry & we were on line or DH was on a long line for food. He would play with the fish & bears in his stroller. They were a great thing to bring!

As soon as we got home DS went back to sleeping at night earlier, back to eating veggies & back to his normal routine he sets. It was not the end of the world because he was "off routine" while on vacation. It made for a much better experience for all of us, and like I said, DS went right back to normal once we were home. Oh sure it took a day or two for him to get back to it, but that is it!

I am a DVC member and have had someone rent from me for VWL. They want to know if there is a good view to request..anyone know?? This couple is spending their weekend together before he leaves for IRAQ. i would like to make it as enjoyable as I can. Any ideas of what to tell her??

We had a standard view room in the Lodge (not villas) & were able to see the fireworks over the castle.

I know it is possible to see the Castle from some of the rooms in the Lodge itself. When we stayed there in concierge last time we asked for a view of the MK if possible & got it.

CheriePenguin said:
lclark0621:
Did you bring your own stroller? I still have some uncertainty about how the stroller thing works - one thing in particular, about waiting in line for rides. Do you have to park the stroller before getting in line, or can you use it in line and then park it when you get to the front of the line before entering the attractions?
You have to park your stroller when you reach the stroller parking area. Sometimes these are toward the beginning of the line so the kids can stay put in the stroller for quite a while during the wait.

What about taking the stroller onto boats and monorails (did they let you roll it on as I read?) How much of a pain was it to fold it and bring it on the busses? Did you take it with you on Kilimanjaro Safari?
Rolled on to monorails no problem. I don't believe we were allowed to roll on to the boats. However, as soon as we got on board and settled, we put the kids back in the stroller just to corrall them. You must fold and carry on buses; did not like that. I believe we had to park it at KS as there was no room for it in the vehicle.

My advice is, if you have a good stroller, take it with you. While it may be convenient not to "worry with it", if you rent you don't get to take it out of the individual parks. Last summer, DD was 5 and DS was 2, and we had a double stroller that was a life saver. Almost every time we left the parks, (click here) this is what happened. Also, ours had a good canopy and so we were able to sheild DS who has a fair complexion from the FL sun a little better. Additionally, no matter how good the bus/boat/monorail service is, you're going to be walking outside the parks quite a bit. Having the stroller let them fall asleep (instead of grumbling) while we were on the way back to the lodge. At times, we just pushed the stroller into their room and lifted them into bed for naps.

Other pluses to taking your own:
  • Kids are more "at home" in their own and are perhaps less likely to climb out and take off like a shot through the crowds
  • None of the rentables looked comfortable for lounging/impromptu napping
  • Rentable doubles were side-by-side rather than back-to-front configuration and looked difficult to navigate through crowds
  • Rentable doubles are NOT "monorail friendly"
  • Owned stroller is much easier to recognize when leaving a ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter