Just back from Windsor Hills, My Review!

sweetpeakaris

DIS Veteran
Hello to All,

First off, We love Windsor Hills, the Resort is Beautiful, adore the Clubhouse and all WH has to offer. This was our second stay there, so this time we were able to enjoy the tennis and basketball court since it wasn't completed last year. I highly recommend this Resort to anyone looking to stay at a Lovely place, in fact, we are thinking about buying there too.

However, my complaints are about the Condo we stayed in and the Management company. Actually my expierence from renting Villas and Condos have seemed to all have something in common. CLEANLINESS, seems to be a problem at every place we've stayed in. Also talking with other WH renters at the Pools, etc. they all seemed to have the same problem, places just weren't cleaned well. I don't know if everyone is using the same company, but the owners really need to check into this. I know most people will stay in a place and not contact the owner to complain, so this could be why it's an ongoing or common problem.

Ok, so we arrived at our Condo an hour before check in, past the foyer leading into the dining area, I noticed the dirty stained carpet that not only had traffic wear but someone apparently had dripped something dark brown all around the floor to the sofa in the living room where a larger spot was. I personally think putting carpet in a Rental is a bad idea. Ok, so I looked into all the rooms, they seemed to appear clean at first glance. I headed to take a shower and notice there are hardly any towels and the ones that were there were all dingy and had a lot of wear, needed to be trashed. So we decided we would just go to Walmart and buy towels and take them back home with us. Then, I decided to lay in the bed and when I layed down the pillow was all greasy and smelled like someone else's hair products, so that prompted me to pull back the comforter and check the bed to make sure the linen was clean. Well, there was someone else's hair in the bed and the sheets appeared to have not been washed. At this point, I'm angry and I call the owner. She was very concerned and apolygetic about the bed and towels. The owner called the Management company, and the MGMT Co told her they "DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO CLEAN THE ENTIRE CONDO", so now, I'm really mad, and thinking why would they make DIRTY beds and think no one would notice. I checked all the beds and ALL were dirty, even one had dog hair all in it and this unit is suppose to be Pet Free. So we were told we had to remove all our luggage and ourselves for them to come in and clean the unit throughly. This was a big inconvience after traveling, but we had no other choice. So they cleaned it, washed everything and replaced all the towels with new ones. The rest of our stay was great!

We were really grossed out about the thought of sleeping in a bed that had dirty sheets, so I know this can't be the first time a Management company didn't have time to wash the linen and made up dirty beds, I bet they do it often. Not speaking for all, but this company in particular. I also know it's not the owner's fault, and she was very helpful in taking care of the situation. I still plan to always rent a place vs staying in a hotel, I just wish I could for once find a CLEAN place for our next stay.

Just curious. My friend just had the same experience there with Villa Direct over Easter vacation.

As an owner I would be really mad to have this happen. We pay quite a bit for each cleaning and I expect to get a very clean house after each turnover.

There is no excuse for that.
:sad2:

:scared1: Would you mind posting which condo you rented? We r going down for a month for the first time. Now, I'm getting concerned after all the great posts.
If u prefer not to post on this site, would u mind sending me a personal post, it would be greatly appreciated.:scared:

I wonder why owners/MCs do not use a separate linen service. My friend said it took her over 3 hours to wash and dry all of the sheets, and the towels she did the next day- there is no way that a cleaning company can do this every visit to the villas, and yet that is what the management company explained was their current policy!

I would think most owners have multiple sets of sheets per bed. I know I do.
The cleaner have about 6 hours on a day that is back to back. on other days they have longer. That should be plenty of time to do all the linens and clean the house very well!!

I'm here actually right now, I can tell you our home was pretty spotless upon checkin. That being said, owners also need to ask their MCs / cleaning companies to do a "deep" cleaning at least 2x a year. Where they do things like clean the windows inside and out...wipe down every baseboard...move every single piece of furniture..etc. I would be VERRY upset if I checked into a dirty home too, our BIL/SIL just stayed in a home in Four Corners here last week, they also said it was "dirty", nothing like ours (they've stayed here too). Every owner uses a different MC here, so there is variation in the homes, the MCs, and the cleaners.

The big companies, Villadirect, IPG, Global, tend to not be all that great, I could get in trouble for saying this, but it's true. Ours is a small MC run by a husband and wife team. After the cleaners come, the cleaning supervisor comes by to check on each home, then the MC comes by themselves to check each home, it's a pretty thorough check, and not one guest has ever complained to us about cleaning.

You did the right thing, the owner needs to know. I tell people this all the time, the MC can make or break your stay. Owners actually have a hard time finding good MCs they're happy with, they make us look good or bad...fortunately ours are just excellent (MYDISNEYHOUSES happens to use the same MC as us as a matter of fact! FYI).

In our case, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have bought a home here in the first place, it's the single most important thing really...and they're looking after our guests and caring for our home that is worth ...what.. $100s of 1000s of dollars?

Homes should have tons of extra sheets, towels, that sort of thing too, no excuse for not having enough! There's also NO acceptable excuse for not getting a home cleaned properly, if they need more cleaners to get the job done correctly, etc, then do it. Even bring in people from the MC if you have to.

Definitely NOT acceptable for a guest to complain, then the MC offers some lame excuse...and they KNEW about it!?

Geesh...I guess I can add another company to the list of MCs I wouldn't rent from.

By the way..I CAN recommend our MC's homes (ours are some of theirs...but we never get much bookings from them! LOL)..

www.oasisvacationhomes.com

They run about 60 homes in Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, and Emerald Island, and I am 100% confident in recommending that you will get a great (and clean!) home!

Thanks for the MC link George. I found the house we are renting in June listed with them so at least I know we'll have a good mc company.:goodvibes

sweetpeakaris

The owners handled the problem well and I am sure they are presently looking for a new man/co. I am sorry this has happened to you and your family.

I know we pay plenty for our cleans and would be po'd if this came from any of our guests. There are things you have no control over. But a dirty home is not one of them.

It might be a good idea to keep a run of the man/co's that do not cut it.

Glad you enjoyed the vacation even if it was off to a yucky start. Glad you will try it again.

Even though we're not staying at WH, but at EI. We have booked through mydisneyhouses. Therefore, I was pretty glad to read this:

"fortunately ours are just excellent (MYDISNEYHOUSES happens to use the same MC as us as a matter of fact! FYI). "

Thanks for the info - it's one more stress off my shoulders that we picked a home with a good MC!!:banana:

Just curious. My friend just had the same experience there with Villa Direct over Easter vacation.

I keep warning people on the DISboards about Villa Direct! Here's more evidence of why I feel strongly about it! If your owner uses them I'd be very nervous about booking one of their managed homes. I'm also hearing horror stories from WHR owners lately about how VD cleaners / MC people are stealing everything not nailed down from the homes they manage (and some stuff that IS nailed down! LOL) Pictures, TVs, vacuum cleaners, sheets / towels...etc. Of course they'll try and blame the guests, or someone other than them....beware VD! Then you show up and find a house that has very few amenities like towels, sheets, etc, and the real reason is the MC is taking stuff from the home!

I hear this from other WHR VD owners all the time, in contrast, we've never had one single item disappear from our home. They said sheets "regularly" go missing.

You really think it's a guest going on vacation and taking home a Disney souvenir vacuum cleaner on the plane with them? ROFL

Anyhow, cheers, we're still here and off to Epcot this morning! :)

Funny, We were at Windsor Hills for 12 days and saw a Villadirect van at least once a day doing something inside the rentals. Talking with other renters who rented from VD, they all had negative things to say. I also heard they are rude and not easy to deal with.

Does anyone have an experience with Premier Home Management? We're renting at WH for the first time in June and I have no real ideas what to expect...other than not wanting to clean an entire condo when I get there because the management company didn't get it done properly.

Does anyone have an experience with Premier Home Management? We're renting at WH for the first time in June and I have no real ideas what to expect...other than not wanting to clean an entire condo when I get there because the management company didn't get it done properly.

Not heard of them, sorry.

The few I know of that are bad though (like VD), I'm fairly vocal about here on the DISboards, at great risk to getting myself in some serious trouble actually, but I'd rather warn people than get our beautiful resort a bad name due to the actions of one MC. Just back from there ourselves....sigh.

UGGH! I am so bummed we are renting this home in Davenport http://www.disneypalmvilla.com
and when the owner sent the rental agreement, I noticed that the management company was Villa Direct Management Company. Oh well, we sent the deposit already and we have our heart set on the 3 king master suites and Solana Resort so I guess we will just have to wait and see. I plan to bring the owners phone number so if there is any problem with the management company, I will call him right away. At least now I will be prepared.

Well, they don't listen to the owners either, most of the owners aren't real happy with them either, just so you know, it would be pretty unusual to find an owner who has nothing but great things to say about them.

Lately I've been hearing that they have a real problem with theft from the homes. I would be careful to take a detailed inventory or pictures of the condition of the home when you check in, just to cover yourself from anything or claims down the road. Thing is, VD uses an ADW fee, which is like "self" insuring the home against damage. Problem is, they don't want to pay anything to the owners when something happens, so damage happens or something goes missing and it's usually the owner that eats it.

$65 per booking per ADW x 500-600 homes you manage and that's a ton of $$ they generate in ADW fees, it ends up becoming a profit center for them rather than what it's intended to be, insurance.

It also encourages people not to take as good care of the homes because hey, they're "insured" for up to $500 in damages, right!? This means their homes end up in not as good shape, based on the laws of human nature. (Sad, but true).

I noticed the ADW insurance on the rental agreement. I emailed the owner because I wasn't familiar with it. He emailed me back and told me to ignore it because it was a pain and more trouble than it is worth. I saved the email. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me later on. I will take your advice and make a detailed list of inventory and plan to take some pretty extensive pictures upon arrival and departure. Thanks for the advice.

The MC issues made us a bit nervous about booking accomodation through a private owner as well. We have stayed in condos/townhomes before but they were always managed on-site and our only problem ever was with telephone service at Regal Palms(we didn't own cells at the time) - a frequent complaint of those who have stayed there(this was several years ago but we were told Davenport area has lots of telephone problems). Renting a pool home at WH from a private owner is a new experience for us with just a bit of angst from the unknown. The MC seems to be a small outfit managing 26 homes/TH/condo units run by a husband/wife team. The owners are in the UK and I think the MC team is from there as well (due to their English syntax). They seem to be very nice - and busy - and seem to cater to a lot of UK clientele. I get their answering machine usually on their land line, but they responded within the hour on a call to their cell phone regarding a billing situation. I expect they will do their job well and our stay will be uneventful.

As a "defense", I charged the entire stay plus security deposit on CC so I have some recourse if there is a disaster of some kind.

I'll post a trip report after our visit (June 6 - 13) and give a review of the villa and MC after having first hand experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter