Just Back from WDW

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our week at WDW. I did get a GAC, with the stroller tagged as a wheelchair for my back issues. It was a huge help in the parks, but not at all for the buses. I spent two days at the resort (AKL) when my back was hurting and I did not want to struggle and worsen the strain getting the stroller and baby on/off the bus. At least the Kidani and Jambo pools were a nice way to spend an afternoon so it wasn't a total waste. :)

The park CMs were all great. Even at the Haunted Mansion and POTC, they were super nice and helpful. :goodvibes

I will have to have a better plan in the future for how to handle the buses.

You were hurting; so, you rested. Disney parks will be there another day.

Very true Bete!

I'm not sure what to do about the buses in the future, but once he walks it will no longer continue to be an issue for my back. My family will be there on the upcoming two trips, there may only be one more mommy/son trip where I have to carry him. Of course even when he can walk he may fall asleep.

If I could push him on the bus and fold it once on and seated, I would be okay. It's the lifting that is a huge strain. The bus drivers didn't want me to do that, and also didn't help me (with the exception of one very nice driver Osvaldo, that I filled out a compliment card for at guest services). Several guests did assist me, but the few times I did it alone really aggravated my back. It probably won't be back to baseline for another week or so.

I can't rent an ECV since I can't drive it with the baby on my lap or in a carrier, so I am limited in options.

I have a suggestion for your future trips.

Stay at the Wilderness Lodge, if you plan it out and don't mind the extra time it is possible to get to Magic Kingdom and Epcot without ever having to fold up your stroller. You simply take the boat from WL to MK, but wait for the large one, and then from there take the Monorail to TTC and transfer to the Epcot monorail.

It would probably add at least 20 minutes to the trip, but if walking isn't a problem it could be worth it.

Epeyon, that is a good idea. :) I did actually try to get a studio at BLT, Boardwalk and the Beachclub but they were already full for my dates. I'm not sure if VWL was full or not, I should have looked into that.

I priced rooms at the monorail resorts but they were too expensive, the less expensive room categories were already gone.

The AKL was available and recommended to me so I went ahead with it, but I will definitely plan to book further ahead and get a resort that has boat and/or monorail access next time. That does make it so much easier for me and my poor back. :thumbsup2

You got to enjoy more of the resort.. that is one way of looking on the positive side... :goodvibes I am sorry though that you were hurting while there...:hug:

I am confused. Why with your back were you trying to lift the stroller? Why did you not board where the wheelchairs and scooters board. This way you could roll in and then fold up the stroller once aboard. Then when at destination use the same thing.

I am confused. Why with your back were you trying to lift the stroller? Why did you not board where the wheelchairs and scooters board. This way you could roll in and then fold up the stroller once aboard. Then when at destination use the same thing.

Many drivers will not allow this. Only wheelchairs and ECVs allowed period! Others are much more understanding. It really depends on the driver. Some are just what we called in the military "by the bookers"

That would have made things so much better, but I was told not allowed. :confused3 Guest services did tell me the stroller as a wheelchair did not apply to the buses.

I did push through the vacation as much as possible, I am having a very difficult time today. If I was permitted to roll the stroller onto the bus and fold it after we boarded it would have made a huge difference for me while there, and I'm sure I would not be as bad as I am today as well.

I will have to have a better plan for future trips, either boat/monorail access or family there to help with lifting.

That would have made things so much better, but I was told not allowed. :confused3 Guest services did tell me the stroller as a wheelchair did not apply to the buses.

I did push through the vacation as much as possible, I am having a very difficult time today. If I was permitted to roll the stroller onto the bus and fold it after we boarded it would have made a huge difference for me while there, and I'm sure I would not be as bad as I am today as well.

I will have to have a better plan for future trips, either boat/monorail access or family there to help with lifting.

not sure if this helps they could kneel the bus making it lower so it might not be such a high step. The monorail is not regulated by the Dot yet so that why you don't need to fold the strollers unless your in the accessible cars.

not sure if this helps they could kneel the bus making it lower so it might not be such a high step. The monorail is not regulated by the Dot yet so that why you don't need to fold the strollers unless your in the accessible cars.

Asking for the bus to be lowered when you don't have a visible disability can be a harrowing experience. Often, people won't do it, which is something to take into consideration.

Asking for the bus to be lowered when you don't have a visible disability can be a harrowing experience. Often, people won't do it, which is something to take into consideration.

I understand I was just making a suggestion you don't have to have a disability to have them lower the bus for you they will upon reques if they don't do it on their own when they pull in.

Some drivers doing with out being asked they will power the bus once pulled on it take less then 10 seconds to lower the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter