Just back from PO Riverside!!! (long)

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
Just got back from a 5 night stay at POR. I stayed in Oak Manor, on the first floor, in room . It was in one of the wings, to the right as you are looking towards the mansion from the river.
I really loved this resort, it is the first time I have stayed in a moderate. My last trips I stayed at the YC and then WL so I was not quite sure of what to expect.
I arrived at the resort at about 2:00, the line for check in looked long but really moved quickly. I had requested Oak Manor, but asked for non smoking.
I was in my room by 2:30, bell person that took me to my room showed me the bridge to the main pool and also let me know that there was a bus stop towards the back of the resort, between Oak Manor and Magnolia Terrace.
Now, I do not normally go over the room with a fine tooth comb, but I did this time due to some of the reports about the rooms not being clean etc. The room was very clean, the rugs were not worn, nor was the furniture. The caulk around the tub and the toilet looked relatively new, and was very clean, as was the floor in the bath room. There was a little bit of rust on the air conditioning vent in the bathroom, but it was not that bad and most likely had I not been looking at things so closely I would not have noticed it.
The resort itself is beautiful, the grounds were well kept and the CMs were very friendly. One night I took the boat to Downtown Disney and the boat driver was very informative as to what you see as you are going down the river. He told us that the POFQ will be opening in the spring.
Bus service was very good with one exception, on Wednesday night at about 6:00 I was going to Epcot, I got to the bus station at 6:00 just as a bus to Epcot was pulling out. I figured I would have a 15 minute wait, buses for each of the park pulled in and left and I figured Epcot would be next, nope, we went through all the parks one more time, still no bus for epcot, a third bus for MK and DTD came still no Epcot. When the bus for the MK came we asked the driver to call and let some one know that by then we had been there for aprox 35 minutes. Finally at a little after 6:40 the Epcot bus came. I do not know what happened but most times the wait for the buses were no more than 10 minutes.
The main bus stop was crowded at times, but not too bad, the worst day was Saturday. This was the only day I had to stand on the buses. Once was coming back from AK and then going to MK that evening. I figured going to and from MK would be bad as it was the only night for Spectro.
I ate two meals at Boatwrights, breakfast and dinner, the food was good and so was the service. Of course I got the re-fillable mug when I checked in. I got muffins from the food court, one night I got celery and carrot sticks for a snack, and my last afternoon I got a sandwich for the plane ride home. The food was very good and fresh.
I honestly had no complaints about POR, walking along the paths was really nice, there were ducks and cranes along the river, and rabbits and squirrels all along the grounds. The walk to the main building was not bad, it only took me just over 5 minutes if I walked briskly, 10 minutes if I took my time. The walk to the bus stop behind the mansions took under 5 minutes. One other thing that was nice is that the laundry room is right by the quiet pool. I took over a load of wash, swam in the pool, and read my book. It makes you feel that you are not wasting alot of time this way.
In my opinion this resort is a good value, the themeing is just as good as the deluxe resorts, there is a nice sit down restaurant and the food court has alot of choices. The rooms are not as big, but I think that a family of 4 would have plenty of room.

I really like POR. We've stayed there twice and are thinking about staying again. We've stayed in the mansions so next time I'd like to stay in the bayou. I think it's a beautiful hotel. We've always had clean rooms and good service. The only problem I had was the first time we stayed we paid for a water view and didn't get one. I called the front desk and they switched our room and we still didn't have a water view. I didn't call back because I didn't want to move again. Since then I don't bother to get a water view. We really don't need one.

I agree with your review. I think that PO is a good bargain and not all that different from a deluxe. Sure the rooms are a bit smaller and the doors lead outside but if a traveler doesn't mind that or using the buses, it's a very nice place to stay IMO.

I'm glad that your stay was good.

Great Report helenk. We will be staying at PO Riversiade for the first time in Dec. so I was really glad to hear such a great report.

Thanks for the review. Can't wait for our nextr trip - this time it was a choice between CBR and POR. Hard choice because DH loved CBR.

:bounce: :bounce:
Thanks for the positive review. We are thinking about POR and were worried after reading several bad reviews. I think we will stick with POR

Glad you liked the POR. We stayed there this past March. Our rooms were in Alligator Bayou. It has a great atmosphere. Our family of four was very comfortable. I really loved this resort. I do have some pictures on my webpage that show the resort. We had a great time and the service was excellent. Maid service for our room was great.

Thanks for the great review! after staying at the CBR the last 6 trips, we are staying at POR Riverside in Dec for the first time. We loved the CBR, but were only able to get the AP discount at POR. I requested a mansion room, since that decor really appealed to me. I hope we have as great a stay as you had!!

Annie

We tried a couple of others, but nothing beats POR. I would consider its sister resort, but there is something magical to starting my day having a hot breakfast next to the waterwheel, watching families gear up for their exciting day w/ Mickey & friends. And, I don't even LIKE kids! Great food court, convenient bus service, wonderful CMs, perfectly carried out theme. LOVE it.

Originally posted by helenk

I arrived at the resort at about 2:00, the line for check in looked long but really moved quickly. I had requested Oak Manor, but asked for non smoking.
I was in my room by 2:30, bell person that took me to my room showed me the bridge to the main pool and also let me know that there was a bus stop towards the back of the resort, between Oak Manor and Magnolia Terrace.

I found it interesting that you were in your room at 2:30. I thought check-in didn't start until 3 or 4:00. did they change things or am I just wrong? Wouldn't be the first time :)

Paul

I'm not sure if we've just always been lucky, but we have usually always been able to enter our room before the 3:00 check in time. Our flight usually arrives at 10:30, and we are usually at the resort by 1. It definitely pays to inquire.... If the room is ready, they'll let you have it.

Annie

Thanks for the review. We are staying at POR for the first time in NOV and I was really nervous about it. Your review helped me feel better about it.

Thanks

Thanks for the great review. We are leaving on Wednesday and staying at POR. We requested a room in the AB section, b/c my husband likes the rustic atmosphere. This will be our first trip to POR, have stayed at CBR however, wanted to try something different! CAN"T WAIT!!!!:Pinkbounc

psimon

If the room is ready they will let you check in, so far I have checked in upon arrival at the GF (10:30 am) and the YC (10:00 am) and now the POR. The only time I had to wait was last year we arrived at WL around 11:00 and the room was not ready so we just went to MK. The room was ready when we came back for a break around 3:00.
It all depends on how busy the resort is and how quickly they have the rooms ready.

Thanks for the review and for the good news about PO-FQ. We are hopeful for next April at the French Quarter. If not, it will be the mansions at Riverside for us. Did you see Bob Jackson's show? He is a MUST at WDW for my wife and I.

Im glad you had a great time at POR.
This is my fav moderate, Hands down. I have been there 2 years in a row and loved every minute.

Counting down to WL!! Only cause FTP made it possible to afford this time. If not, Id be at POR!

The piano player in the lounge at POR is the best!!!! What a great time you can have with him.

I'm with Starz723. If it hadn't been for the FTP and the chance to stay at a new resort (for me), I would staying at POR next month.

POR is a wonderful resort. It always seems so far away from the crowds and noise of the parks and some of the deluxe hotels. It's so beautiful.

I think one of the benfits of the moderates is that because they are off the beaten path, you don't get as many 'tourists' as you do at monorail hotels or those that are closer to the parks.

love to read all the great reviews....we are so looking forward to it as our last Deluxe didn't have a fast food court as that is a must with little ones especially needing milk!!

any other tips would be great!:D

Great review. We are getting more and more excited about chosing this resort. We are a family of 5 so we'll be testing the limits of room size:rolleyes:

we are thrilled at the amount of money saving by staying at POR instead of a Deluxe....how much time are you really in the room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter