Just back from our budget trip, here's how we did (long)

kfeuer

<font color=blue>My kids are going to think I'm ol
We originally planned to go on vacation later this year, but my parents decided to go to Hawaii for their 40th anniversary which meant I lost my babysitter for the week. Since I had to take the time off anyway, my youngest DS is about to turn 3 in a couple months, and my oldest is about to start school in August, we decided January was a fine time to go :) However, it had to be a budget trip--we didn't want to spend more then $1,000 for the week. Since we already had our tickets and live close enough to drive, I knew this was doable.

We started doing anything and everything to earn extra money. We ended up with $365 from market research groups, $190 in prepaid Visa/MC from test drives (we converted these to Disney Dollars), $210 in reward dollars from our Disney Visa, $120 in gas gift cards (credit card/Mypoints rewards), $100 in cash back credit card rewards, $25 Outback Steakhouse gift cert and $35 Chili's gift card (test drives). The last bit came from small sales bonuses DH gets some months. They're never a certain thing so I don't build them into our regular budget.

Unfortunately, a couple weeks before the trip we discovered my DH has a ruptured tendon in his foot (he will need surgery) which meant we had to rent him an ECV. Luckily I got called for a $90 market research group that helped cover the extra expense.

Here's what we spent:

$209 one week at a 2-bedroom condo at Orbit One through Skyauction
$525 food*
$465 souvenirs**
$115 wheelchair and ECV rental (one day of trying the wheelchair convinced
me the ECV's are worth every penny!)
$125 gas (all but $5 was paid with our gas gift cards)
-124 we earned from going to a timeshare presentation (that sure wasn't fun,
but we were so firmly against it we got out early)
-----
1315 Total

*Our food budget included a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe, and lunch at Mama Melrose's, Kona Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, Biergarten, and Flame Tree Barbeque. We had all our other breakfast's in the room. Most nights we were too full from lunch to want a real dinner, but we did go to Outback one night and Chili's another to use our gift cards. I didn't count the trip to Walmart for supplies when we got there since I spent less then I would have normally spent on groceries at home (and thus don't take it out of my vacation budget). Having the kitchen in the room really paid off for us. Including travel time our food budget for 8 days averaged out to $65/day for 3 people (my youngest shared meals or ate free at buffets, so he really doesn't count).

**There are 2 big splurges in here that really bumped up the total. One was the photopass CD for $99. We were getting so many good pictures of the kids that we decided to go for it on the second day of the trip. After that we approached every Disney photographer we saw! We ended up with 68 pictures, and some of them are truly exceptional. I feel like it's going to be worth every penny, and the great part is we can share them with family and friends. For anyone not familiar with the photopass CD, here's a quick rundown: When a Disney photographer takes a picture of you, they scan a card and your picture is tied to that card for later viewing/buying. You can buy individual photos (which is pricey), or you can get all your photopass photos transferred to a CD and then you can do whatever you want with them for $99. You can only get the CD done at Epcot or a gift shop in the Grand Floridian (we did it at GF--can't remember the name of the shop, but it was on the 2nd floor). One other thing--if you have a Disney Visa, be sure to get your free character photo when you go to Epcot. There was nobody waiting when we went, and it was cool to have the characters all to ourselves. When my 2-year old saw Mickey, his whole face lit up and he just ran over to give him a big hug. It was like a moment from a Disney commercial :love:

The other splurge was a really cute Skagen Mickey watch I saw in the GF gift shop while waiting for my CD to be burned :rolleyes2 . I was going to save the money we earned from the timeshare presentation for our next trip, but DH talked me into treating myself (since I had agreed to letting my MIL come with us at the last minute, I decided he was right that I deserved a treat!). The watch was $125. If you take those 2 things out, we spent about $240 for everything else, which I think is decent for a week's stay. We had an awesome outlet trip. My DH had splurged on a $42 shirt for himself last trip, and was hoping to find some other designs. The outlet had 2 other designs for $12.99 apiece. They also had an Incredibles car that we saw on our cruise but passed up as too expensive at $25. The outlet had them for $12.99 apiece. MIL got them, so they were a real bargain! In all we got stuff that would have been $192 in the parks for $81.

We really liked our condo at Orbit One (thanks, Disneysteve). The location was ultra-convenient, the layout was good and it had a huge whirlpool tub that I enjoyed every night. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, especially for the price we paid. If you deduct the $124 we were paid for the timeshare presentation from the $209 we paid, our cost for the week was only $85!!!

We did spend more then the $1000 originally planned, but most of the overage came from the ECV rental and my watch splurge (which was covered by the extra money we earned). I'm fine with what we spent. Aside from the money, we had such a wonderful trip. The weather was perfect (low to high 70's), the crowds were low, and my kids had a magical time. I don't feel like staying offsite detracted from our fun in any way. We left and went back to the parks a couple different nights, it was no big deal. I loved being able to put the kids to bed early and then relaxing the rest of the evening in the living room.

Sorry this got so long! I'll end with one of my favorite pictures:

mickey3smaller.JPG

kfeuer said:
We really liked our condo at Orbit One (thanks, Disneysteve).
You're welcome! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. (I'm always a little bit nervous when someone books based on my recommendation.)

Great report too. I do have one question. Can you tell me more about the timeshare presentation? We have been to Orbit One twice but have not done that. Where was it held? How long were you there? And how high did your blood pressure get during the process? We might be willing to do it next time around if we knew what to expect going in to it.

Great report!!! Can you give me somemore info on the condo? Who did you book it through and that kind of stuff. We're going in March and the price you paid was cheap!!! I would like to check into their prices for early March!! On your photopass, could you get the pics that they add the frames and stuff too, or were they just the plain pics? Last year, the did a realy cute pic of my son holding a hat, and when we went to view it, Stitch was in the hat!!! It was really cute, but looked kinda weird without Stitch! :stitch:

Great picture!!!! I would like to know more about the Condo also.

Hi Kfeuer,

Loved your report :cool1:

Quick question, I have a Disney one visa card. Will I be able to get a photo of my DD with Mickey in Epcot? Where would that be located? Any info would be great.

I also, love to budget, & do very similar savings myself thru out the year. I never did the car survey, would love to hear about it.

We love the condo stay also. We eat there for breakfast & some dinners & of course great for next day, doggiebag left overs. I love to freeze frozen water bottle or lemon aide in the backpack next day for the parks. We also take advantage of the actives in the condo grounds DD loves them so much that last year, she opted to stay in the condo instead of the parks. It reminded me of a Cancun resort. I also, love the washer & dryer, because of it, we are able to pack lite.

Great report

Thanks for sharing

Patricia

Where did you get your leads for test drives? You really did well on those. I'm lucky to find two a year.

disneysteve said:
Great report too. I do have one question. Can you tell me more about the timeshare presentation? We have been to Orbit One twice but have not done that. Where was it held? How long were you there? And how high did your blood pressure get during the process? We might be willing to do it next time around if we knew what to expect going in to it.

When we checked in we were sent over to the "promotions" desk to get our parking pass. We got a long spiel from a guy named Julio and he offered us discounted park tickets if we'd go to a breakfast at Vacation Village (which is about 5 minutes down 192). The discounts weren't that great, so we weren't going to do it. Then Tuesday night we get a call from Julio offering us $124 if we'd go to the breakfast the next morning. Since it was a rest day (and we were going to Downtown Disney to shop) we decided $124 made it worth our while.

Now, Julio told us it would only take 90 minutes and he made it sound like our time would start during the breakfast, which we assumed would be at Vacation Village. Well, we get there and check in and in a couple minutes our salesperson comes out. She then tells us the breakfast is actually held in Celebration, and our time doesn't start until we get back. Celebration is only about 5 minutes from Vacation Village, but it was still a big waste of time in my book. Breakfast was an okay buffet in a restaurant. We ate as quickly as possible and then were asked to help with the tip :rolleyes:

We get back to Vacation Village and are herded into this big room with lots of other people. Julio had said there was a playroom for the kids. If there was, we didn't see it. They gave my kids crayons and paper--yeah, that's going to keep a 2-year old occupied for an hour and a half :rolleyes: .

They made us fill out this questionnaire about our vacation wishes and then they start trying to convince you how a timeshare is going to make it all come true :rolleyes: I told her upfront there was nothing she could say that would convince us to buy. I listen to Clark Howard, so I was able to dispute what she was saying with the facts. She finally got so frustrated she just said "let me show you the unit and then you can go". We were only about 45 minutes into the presentation so I was surprised, but she was like "you've spent enough time with me" as in "I can not wait to get rid of you people" :rotfl2:

We walked over and saw the unit (we were not impressed). Then she brings out the price sheet just because she had to. Their starting price was $24,990. I started laughing and she ushered me into this other room (DH had taken the kids to the car by this point) where I had to tell this guy why we weren't buying. He was shocked she hadn't knocked the price down (which really wasn't fair, because it would have been a waste of time). He asked me if we could have the timeshare for $5,000 would that make a difference. $5,000 from $24,990?!? Of course I said no. He gave me a slip that we then had to take to a different office to get our check. That office was in a shopping center right by the exit of Vacation Village, so it wasn't really out of the way.

From the time we got there to the time we had our check took 3 hours. It wasn't fun, but they didn't pull any of the sleazy tactics that I've heard some timeshare places do. If they offered me that kind of money again, I'd probably do it if it was convenient. I'd never give up park time for it, but we always plan at least one day away from the parks anyway.

The whole time I really wanted to say "Why on earth would I give you a big chunk of money and then have to pay maintenance fees when I can get the same benefit from Skyauction dirt cheap?" I didn't though, because I'm afraid if they think Skyauction is hurting sales they'll do away with it!

OhioGrumpyGirl said:
Great report!!! Can you give me somemore info on the condo? Who did you book it through and that kind of stuff. We're going in March and the price you paid was cheap!!! I would like to check into their prices for early March!! On your photopass, could you get the pics that they add the frames and stuff too, or were they just the plain pics? Last year, the did a realy cute pic of my son holding a hat, and when we went to view it, Stitch was in the hat!!! It was really cute, but looked kinda weird without Stitch! :stitch:

We booked it through skyauction.com. The cool thing is, with the particular auction we won we also got $100 credit for use towards a future auction. Not all auctions are like that, though. Check out the Orlando resorts board for lots of info on Skyauction. This is about the right time to start looking for March. The best deals are usually 2-6 weeks before your trip time.

As for the pictures, we did get one with my son holding Simba in AK. Other then that, you don't get any of the cute icons that they can add.

PURTYPAT1 said:
Quick question, I have a Disney one visa card. Will I be able to get a photo of my DD with Mickey in Epcot? Where would that be located? Any info would be great.

The character greeting is in Innoventions West from 1:30-4:30 daily. The characters are all curtained off when you get there, but you'll see a cast member with a clipboard. They ask to see your Disney Visa, then they give you a coupon for your free photo. When we went they had Mickey, Donald and Pluto. What's really cool is that we got some family shots with all 3 characters in them (see below--not the greatest family shot, but you get the idea). You can take your photopass to the photo shop at the front of Epcot and then choose whatever picture you want for your freebie. It's a great deal and a fun character experience, too.

familysmall.JPG

My time, especially my vacation time, is worth more than $40/hour. I'll continue to avoid the timeshare presentation on our future stays at Orbit One. Thanks for the warning.

Can Orbit One be booked directly? Another Diser I met on her trip last September stayed there and she said it was great.

Do you know you are bidding on it--or is it like priceline where it is only a category you bid on?

Where is it in proximity to the theme parks?

Thanks!

annsteere said:
Where did you get your leads for test drives? You really did well on those. I'm lucky to find two a year.

I find alot of them on fishingfordeals.com or mycoupons.com. However, some luck is also involved because alot of test drives are mailed directly to specific people. I've found that the longer we've been doing the test drives the more offers we seem to get. They tend to come in spurts, too. We'll go months without any then get 3 to do all at once. We've been lucky in the past few months.

disneysteve said:
My time, especially my vacation time, is worth more than $40/hour. I'll continue to avoid the timeshare presentation on our future stays at Orbit One. Thanks for the warning.

I hear ya. We walked out of there saying we'd never do it again, but now I look down at my watch and think "aw, it wasn't so bad :teeth: "

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Can Orbit One be booked directly? Another Diser I met on her trip last September stayed there and she said it was great.

Do you know you are bidding on it--or is it like priceline where it is only a category you bid on?

Where is it in proximity to the theme parks?

Thanks!

I haven't seen any direct auctions for Orbit One (although there are direct ones for other places). I've only seen Orbit One on Ready Set Go auctions or Home & Away auctions. On both these auction types you can check availability for where you want to go and have a choice of resorts. The big difference is that with a Ready, Set, Go auction you can reserve your resort until the end of the auction (so you know it's available if you win). With the Home & Away auctions, you can check availability but you can't reserve anything until after the end of the auction. You're taking a big chance with this kind of auction if you're dates aren't flexible, but they usually go for less plus you got a $100 certificate good for a future auction. I did a Home & Away auction and it worked out for me, but I knew I was taking a risk going into it.

As far as proximity, it's 5 minutes from Animal Kingdom. You exit the resort, turn left, cross 192 and you're on Disney property in about 2 miles. MGM, Epcot and the TTC (to get to MK) were all around 10-12 minutes away. I loved this location--it's close to all the offsite restaurants, but there's no traffic hassles getting to and from the parks.

Your family photo is "Magnificent" thanks for sharing them with us!!! (would make a great Christmas card)

Love all your tips that you are giving us.

Have a great day.

Patricia

You did a fabulous job of maximizing your rewards programs!

Thanks for the PhotoPass CD info, I was unaware of that.

Excellent recap! You made an awesome effort of keeping that budget in check.

What type of theme park passes did you have/use? I don't see that they were accounted for in your total.

Thank you for the great review and information on Photopass. I have heard of it, but didn't really pay attention - neat idea and your pictures were great.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:
Excellent recap! You made an awesome effort of keeping that budget in check.

What type of theme park passes did you have/use? I don't see that they were accounted for in your total.

Oops, forgot to mention the tickets. For our trip last year we bought 10-day non-expiring park tickets from Ticketmania and only used 5 days. We used 4 of the remaining days this trip. Since they were paid for over a year ago I didn't figure them into our cost. I don't remember exactly how much they were, but I'm guessing our ticket costs were around $400 for this trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter