Just back from ASMU & ASMO- Awesome Stay!

katie111

DIS Veteran
Just back from a 7 night trip with my 3 kids ages 10, 9 and 5. We stayed for 4 nights at ASMU. Our flight home got cancelled so we ended up staying 3 more nights at AS Movies. We could have stayed at ASMU but would have had to change rooms, so we decided to try out a new hotel. I have to say that both hotels were awesome. Both our rooms were spotless upon arrival.

At ASMU, I requested the Jazz Inn and that is where they placed us. We were very close to the lobby & both pools. Our room was so quiet, I think the only thing I ever heard from another room was the toilet flushing. The dive in movie at night was great and the food at the food court was really surprisingly good.

At ASMO, we were placed in the Mighty Ducks building. We were on the 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. My kids loved having a pool to themselves & it was great because the laundry room was right there. Once again, we didn't hear any noise from other rooms.

Buses were fantastic, definitely the best service I have had at any Disney hotel. We never waited more than 5 minutes. Only once from MK was the bus full, and since I was carrying my sleeping son, I had several people offer me a seat. We chatted with lots of nice people on the buses. I think maybe twice we shared with the other all stars but since they are right next to each other, this is a complete non-issue. The moderates have way more bus stops than the 3 all-stars combined.

This stay was so much better than our last one at POR- we had so many issues there from a dirty room, to getting locked our of our rooms multiple times. And we were so far from the lobby. I loved the size of the All Stars, you were never too far from anything.

I know a lot of people debate moderate vs values but based on this trip, I would definitely happily stay at an All Star again. We did miss having a pool slide & a hot tub, but other than that, it was great and well worth the savings.

Glad to hear your trip went well!! I haven't stayed at ASMu but we stayed at ASMo for our first trip in March and really enjoyed it! We stayed in a Toy Story room and we were right on the corner closest to the pool, playground and cafeteria. We were pleased to say the least! I love being immersed in the different themes.. so much fun!

Buses were fantastic, definitely the best service I have had at any Disney hotel. We never waited more than 5 minutes. Only once from MK was the bus full, and since I was carrying my sleeping son, I had several people offer me a seat. We chatted with lots of nice people on the buses. I think maybe twice we shared with the other all stars but since they are right next to each other, this is a complete non-issue. The moderates have way more bus stops than the 3 all-stars combined.

We also love ASMusic. I agree with you totally on the buses too - that is one of my biggest pet peeves on these boards - when someone says a negative about the AllStars is that they share buses. I know the moderates typically have several stops and if I recall, the deluxes sometimes shared buses too (the MK resorts come to mind). I found that took forever! ;)

Glad to hear you had a great trip. I have always enjoyed my stat at the All Star Resorts.

HI! :wave2:

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! Thanks for the report.
I know if I stayed at a value I would also miss the slides and hot tubs that I get at the Deluxe Villas! LOL

Just a few of questions I'm wondering:

- Was there one AS that you liked better between the two?
- Was there any major difference besides the theming of the two resorts.
- Did the room size difference and full beds compared to mods bother you?

Thanks again!

-FantasiaMagic

HI!

I know if I stayed at a value I would also miss the slides and hot tubs that I get at the Deluxe Villas! LOL

Thanks again!

I would say that ASMO definitely had better theming so I would probably say that we liked that one better. The Toy Story section was especially impressive.

Other than theming, I didn't really notice any major differences, although I don't think that ASMO had the dive in movies or the activities at the pool. I think only ASMU had them unless I just completely missed them at ASMO. I think ASMO seemed a little busier but that could have just been because it was leading into a long weekend when we were there. Also, the only other thing I liked better at ASMU is that at least in our room, the TV was in an armoire so you were able to put things on top of it for storage. At ASMO, it was just more of a bureau with the TV on top so no storage around or above the TV. Not sure if all rooms are like that.

The room size didn't bother me at all. Maybe because DH wasn't with us, we seemed to have plenty of room. I don't recall the mod room being that much bigger (except obviously the queen bed vs full bed but with small kids, that didn't matter to me). Also, we weren't really in the room at all except to sleep so that may also be why it was a non-issue for me.

HI! :wave2:

Thanks again!

-FantasiaMagic

We have stayed at all the values at least once and movies and music multiple times. They are all so similar that I would choose which theme you like the most. Movies is the most recently renovated if that is important. I also like the compactness of movies with sports and music next for size. POP is nice as well but large and spread out IMO. All of the value resorts do movies at night and have pool activities at the main pools.

As for room size and full beds, that is subjective to the person. We prefer queens but found the room size to be adequate. If you spend a ton of time in your room it is nice to have more space. Hope this helps some.

Glad to hear you had a great time!!! :yay:

We are staying at an AS resort for the first time. Been to POP a couple of times and enjoyed it very much and some moderates. But am excited about staying at ASMo

Glad you enjoyed your stay. We stayed at ASMu in 2009 - it was the only time we stayed at a value resort but we loved it. As with the OP's experience, the bus service there was probably the best we've had and we go every year! Oh and we arrived Easter weekend so it was really busy, but we still had no bus issues. I found the ASMU picture thread yesterday and opened it just to see. Put a few tears in my eyes remembering that magical stay when DD was only 6

If I chose a value I would have no reservation in staying there again. Only thing that bugged me a bit at the end was being so far from everything, but then with great bus service, it all balanced out.

Thanks for the review :)

I am planning on booking a standard room at ASMo for our honeymoon :cool1: next Sept 30- Oct 6 (2013). I would like to get a room with a king bed (or queen if thats what they have) instead of the two full beds. Anyone have any advice about this?
Should I call after I book and tell them I want a king bed? Do you think they will do something anywhere if I mention its for our honeymoon?

katie111 said:
Just back from a 7 night trip with my 3 kids ages 10, 9 and 5. We stayed for 4 nights at ASMU. Our flight home got cancelled so we ended up staying 3 more nights at AS Movies. We could have stayed at ASMU but would have had to change rooms, so we decided to try out a new hotel. I have to say that both hotels were awesome. Both our rooms were spotless upon arrival.

At ASMU, I requested the Jazz Inn and that is where they placed us. We were very close to the lobby & both pools. Our room was so quiet, I think the only thing I ever heard from another room was the toilet flushing. The dive in movie at night was great and the food at the food court was really surprisingly good.

At ASMO, we were placed in the Mighty Ducks building. We were on the 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. My kids loved having a pool to themselves & it was great because the laundry room was right there. Once again, we didn't hear any noise from other rooms.

This stay was so much better than our last one at POR- we had so many issues there from a dirty room, to getting locked our of our rooms multiple times. And we were so far from the lobby. I loved the size of the All Stars, you were never too far from anything.

I know a lot of people debate moderate vs values but based on this trip, I would definitely happily stay at an All Star again. We did miss having a pool slide & a hot tub, but other than that, it was great and well worth the savings.

So glad you enjoyed both places! We've only done music and we love it. We don't see much of a difference between the mods and values, and we enjoy both. Great to hear the buses were good! We have never had any issues there at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter