Just back from Animal Kingdom Lodge, love it!

Thought you'd like to see some pictures...I finally got them uploaded!

This was the view from my room...AWESOME!

5-8-2007-240.jpg

WOW! I didn't know the animals were that close to the balcony - how cool. Glad to hear you had such a good trip.

It was Kudu Trail, on the third floor. That pic is slightly zoomed, but not fully, they were pretty close. I highly recommend the third floor, as it was on a good height to view the animals.

To the poster with such a terrible experience, I feel really bad for you. I would have asked to move rooms immediately. If I were you, I'd write to Disney. You never know, maybe they'll try to make it up to you. Or write to the general manager of Animal Kingdom Lodge. I would not take that quietly. And I am so sorry about your earrings, that is just sad.

Thanks so much for the pictures. We are going in Sept. I showed them to my son. He is more excited tha ever!

It is so refreshing to hear nice things (not the report about the earrings - I'm so sorry about that, but agree you really should write) after all the negative construction threads that have been bought on this board.

We're going for 2 weeks in November and I really cannot wait now. Just a standard room but I'm hoping to be able to see all the animals from the look out points. DOn't now if I'd get DD to sleep if she knew there was a Giraffe outside our balcony!!

Thanks for the positive reports and keep them coming!!

This is so exciting!!! We're going to be at AKL in Sept. and I'm glad to hear almost everyone has had such positive experiences there. The trip will be a surprise for our DD's 9 & 5, and I can't wait. I've always wanted to stay here and am finally getting my wish :banana:

We are excited at our house too about the great reports from AKL, at least the adults are. We are surprising our kids (DS 7pirate: & DD 5princess: ) the morning we leave, unless we goof up and slip before then. They have never been and my wife and I have only been to Epcot with our own families back when we were teenagers. So we are really looking forward to a great time. :cool1:

I did not like AKL and would not go back unless a great deal was offered.
The room I was in had a terrible smell that smelled like some had just vomited all over the room. We smelled it the sec. we walked in and I called the FD and they said they would send someone up. It was late and my son was asleep so I just sprayed my germ killer that I take everywhere I go and told them to come the next morning. The next day they cleaned the carpet and changed all the bedclothes while we were at the park, when we walked in the room now smelled like vomit and cleaning stuff combined, not a nice smell so we open the deck door and got to hear all the construction going on.

But the worst was yet to come, I woke up with a bad sore throat and sinus the next morning so I took some meds and slept later then I meant to on the day we had to check out so I was rushing and ended up leaving my diamonds earings that my husband had given me for Christmas 17 yrs. ago. I didn't reliaze that I had left them unto we were 7 hrs down the road and reached up to touch my ear. Needless to say I called and they had not been turned in.
The person who I talked to told me he would go look at the place I left them and where my husband also saw them right before we left.
The very nice man called me back and said he did not see them there, I preceded to tell him about the smelling room and he told me he knew what I was talking about because he move the little fridge (Ileft the earing on top) to see if they might be behind the fridge and he saw the remains of a lot of vomit back there so I knew what the smell was even though housekeeping kept trying to convince me it was leftover smoke and closed up room (the room was non-smoking). To make a sad and long story shorter the only good thing I can say about AKL was transporation was good and the fast food at mara was decent. I hated the pool layout and the very confusing way you got to the pool. So the moral of the story is when you find a place you love like we do the Wildress Lodge, don't shop around.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but what I'm trying to figure out is why didn't you ask for a room change??? Also, back behind the frig is quite a strange place for someone to vomit (not trying to be graphic)-it sounds more logical that something may have leaked from the fridge and naturally gone bad-that certainly can leave a vomit-like smell.

This situation could have happened at any of the resorts so I wouldn't make it the fault of AKL. We love WL as well but they didn't have the a standard room available for our trip but AKL did. So we did shop around, and I'm glad we did. We never stayed at AKL until this weekend and other than a few minor issues it was quite a pleasant stay overall.

As far as the earrings, so sorry about that, but earrings are pretty small so they could have easily been knocked off the dresser, maybe they'll turn up.

How many draws did you have in a standard room at AKL to place clothing and stuff.

I love the animal picture (I snitched it to use as my desktop background).
Thanks !

no, the manager of AKL ageed that it was the big V, I assume the little fridge had been moved over to kinda hide it....I don't know. The earings were not that small , 1/3 c. each so I don't think that they were just thrown away. They were on the fridge top and my husband just assumed that I would get them as I was last person doing the last minute check to make sureI hadn't left anything. As far aas the room change, when we got to the room it was late, my son already asleep. I got them to come in and clean the carrpet and change the bedcovers early the next morning. The fridge did not get cleaned behind (the manage said) anyway they had fumed it up with cleaning stuff so the vomit smell was less obvious. I know that there are alot of AKL lovers out there and it is a pretty place but I just don't care to stay there again. I didn't like the layout at all.

How many draws did you have in a standard room at AKL to place clothing and stuff.

I love the animal picture (I snitched it to use as my desktop background).
Thanks !

There wasn't much drawer space. Just the amour where the tv is. Underneath there are 2 small drawers side by side and then 2 large drawers. There are also a few small shelves next to the tv. The closet is a regular sized closet, we put most of our clothes in there (I always pack extra hangers). There was 1 night table with a small drawer. We had a standard with bunk beds so not sure if there's only 1 night table in the 2 queen's rooms as well. We actually used the top bunk to store the rest of our stuff.;)

belle46-I understand your dissatisfaction with the layout of the resort. It is a bit out of the norm. We were on the 5th floor in the front (Ostrich Trail) so it was actually more convenient to take the stairs. One flight was down the hall and the flight to the lobby was right next to the main doors. When going to the pool and restaurants we took the elevator which was also convenient. Our room was a ways down the hall but I specifically asked for that (quieter), well except for the car alarm encounter.:laughing:

But, definitely a hike to the back wings. But room location is definitely "key". I know many request the back wings because of the savanna views but I prefer the front of the resort because it's more accessible to everything else.

Our room also had a fairly large chest of 4 drawers right near the door, between the closet and the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter