Just back from 8 night stay at AKL!

jennymouse

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
This place was awsome! We felt very much at home there..a very relaxing resort. DGD got in on the arts & crafts at the pool 3 times. I enjoyed the storytelling one night. We got the complementary upgrade to savanna view room. We were there so long we got to know the animals routine. We could practically set our clock to the giraffes! Every day that we were at the restort around 5 o'clock we could count on three of the giraffes eating from the tree in front of our balcony. I can't tell you the names of the animals, but I knew all thier favorite sleeping spots. Even the birds would perch on the same branches of the fallen/dead trees every night. These one horned animals liked to get along the edges of the tall grasses for the night.

All the CMs minus one were excellent. I think I got the same CM that poohshoney got when her and Roland checked in. She had our charging privlages all screwed up, but I got that fixed and didn't have any more problems. To make a long story short, she gave us cards that said "No room charging" on them, but told me that was okay, I could still charge with them without a hassle. She said she should know because she's worked there three years. Well, of course, it was a hassle...I tried to use it twice and both times the CM had to call AKL to get it okayed. When I went back to the front desk I got a different CM who said I shouldn't have been given those kind of "no charging" cards. I don't know what the first CM's problem was, but it seemed she screwed up but didn't want to go to the trouble to do the keys over again when I questioned the "no charging" written on them.

The CM's in the gift shop were all extra nice...putting up with my DGD7's new pin trading habbit.

We didn't care much for Boma's dinner and the breakfast was just okay too. We Jiko's because our itinerary changed midweek and we ended up in the parks that night. We ate at Mara for breakfast & lunch a few times and it was okay...not great.

Any other questions, just ask.

Hi Jenifer...glad to hear you had a fun trip. What trail were you on and which savannah did you face? I think that it so fascinating that you were able to identify the animals habits so quickly.

Did you like your room? Was it spacious enough for three? Did your DD and DGD enjoy their trip? Was your cold gone by the time you got there?:D

Originally posted by BCV23
Hi Jenifer...glad to hear you had a fun trip. What trail were you on and which savannah did you face? I think that it so fascinating that you were able to identify the animals habits so quickly.

Did you like your room? Was it spacious enough for three? Did your DD and DGD enjoy their trip? Was your cold gone by the time you got there?:D

We were on the Kudo trail and faced the Sunset savanna and saw lots of animals every day. There were times of the day when there weren't any animals at all except for these big black birds with strange heads that walked around like chickens and even got across the "fence" and tried to eat rocks. I'd have to get out my papers that described the animals and thier names (which would envolve unpacking that I'm not ready to do) but they all seemed to have thier habits.

Our room was on the third floor near the elevator where we could get on and go one floor down to this public viewing area and sit and see the animals on the Arusha savanna. I did this the day the girls went to Discovery Cove and I was doing laundry...the laundry room is on 2nd floor. I had thought the laundry room was by the pool but it's not.

Our room was plenty spacious for us three except for the day my DD & I were spatting.:rolleyes: That day the entire lodge wasn't big enough! Seriously though, it was plenty big enough for us. The girls had a big time. DD & I did get into it a couple times though. I don't care what anyone says, PMS is real and my DD gets it bad. Some days it was like walking on eggshells...ya know.

I used that Zicam spray and I didn't have any cold symptoms when we left. But none of the food tasted good to me the entire trip so I'm wondering if it was because of the lingering cold effects. That Zicam stuff is great though.

We had some horrible news today when we got back...I think I'm DISing so much tonight so I won't think about it. My mother told me her cancer is back...this time it's in her brain. Last year she had her right lung removed, but has been doing great. She's been working ever since she got over her surgery and even worked through her radiation treatments. She had a seizure while we were gone and went to the doctor, he sent her for a catscan.... It's really a shock as we all thought all that was behind us. This time it's inopperable.

Anyway, we just got back this afternoon and our trip already seems like a lifetime ago. Now I wish I hadn't gone because I know I'll be needing those vacation days very soon and they're gone.

Gesh, sorry to go off in that direction. We did have a really good time. I hope to get some trip reports up soon. I already posted some parks details on the parks board.

Jennymouse-Glad you had a great time and very sorry to hear about your mother. Don't think about your trip with regret about using your vacation days. At least you had a great vacation and now have the renewed energy to deal with your mothers situation. My thoughts will be with your family!

jennymouse - I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. I will put her on our prayer list at our church. Please let us know how she is doing. Don't feel too bad about going away on vacation....I am sure it was just what you needed and things have a way of working out in the long run.

I am sorry we never ran into each other last week, but I am so glad your trip was wonderful!!!

Also, I am so sorry to hear about your mom! I am sure she was so glad you went on your trip w/your daughter and granddaughter. She would not want you to have regrets!!! Only happy memories!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. She'll be in my prayers as will you. Don't regret going on vacation. I'm sure it was part of a greater plan.

Thanks for all your answers. I'm going to be there one night in December and requested Ostrich Trail which faces Sunset Savannah, too, I think.

Hello

i too am sorry to hear about your mom- she will be on our prayer list

i'm glad that you had a great time on your trip though- you mentioned you had complimentary upgrades- how did this come about?

any pics you could share- i am trying real hard to get to the AKL

thanks

lisa

Thanks for your thoughts & prayers everyone.

I used Dreams Unlimited and when my agent made the reservation for a standard room, I had her request a room in this same section that BobNC said had so many animals. I figured what the heck, the worse that could happen was that we wouldn't get the upgrade. I don't think AKL was very full during the first part of our vacation, so I'm sure that played a bit part of getting our request. People were coming in in droves on Friday though...it was way more crowded when we left.

KathyR..sorry I missed you! I did meet beattyfamily at LTT before 10/31 MNSSHP! My first DISer meeting!

So sorry to hear about your Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I think it's good you were able to have a beautiful vacation....you are most definately entitled.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. :(
and as wdwnutze said....you will have renewed energy to help your mom.
I am glad the news came after your trip! It would have been very sad to either have to cancel or go with that on your mind.

Prayers to you and your mom!:)

Glad you enjoyed AKL! We loved it when we went last year and hope to return there soon.

Did you at any point feel that 8 nights was too much for this resort? We always like to talk advantage of the "extra" things to do at a moderate or deluxe.....like biking or boating. I'm afraid that if we stayed there the whole week we might get bored and regret not being somewhere with activities....
What do you think???

Originally posted by cindyfan
Did you at any point feel that 8 nights was too much for this resort? We always like to talk advantage of the "extra" things to do at a moderate or deluxe.....like biking or boating. I'm afraid that if we stayed there the whole week we might get bored and regret not being somewhere with activities....
What do you think???

It didn't feel like too long at AKL for me, BUT the only other WDW resort I've stayed at was the ASMu for 4 nights last year. (Other than 1 night at the Contemorary years ago when it first opened but I don't remember much about it.) I'm the type who likes to relax at the resort too so for me AKL was perfect. The girls probably would've liked to boat & bike though. I guess it just depends on your situation. In your case, I'd just book a day or two at the end of your vacation....it'd be a good place to heal up!LOL

Jenifer,

Glad to hear you had fun, but I'm very sorry to hear about your mom...

I felt the same about Boma and I am a very adventurous eater! Jiko was heaven!!!!! I thought Boma was just okay. I really love AKL and would stay there again in a heartbeat. I will be at ASSp in 4 days!

Can't wait until our February trip. Everytime I read someone else's post, it just wets my appetite a little more.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Just read an article about a new procedure for inoperable tumors, etc. Its called cyberknife.

Hope this helps and check it out:

Treatment delivery overview

The CyberKnife® Stereotactic Radiosurgery System is the only radiosurgery system with • a compact 6-MV linear accelerator,
• a computer-controlled robotic arm with six degrees of freedom, and
• image-guidance technology that eliminates the need for a rigid stereotactic frame and enables treatment of extra-cranial sites.

This combination of technology provides an essential advantage: unmatched maneuverability in targeting.

Compared to conventional stereotactic radiosurgery systems, the CyberKnife system provides: • increased access to and coverage of any target volume
• broader range of clinical applications including
- ability to treat lesions in and around the cranium that are unreachable with other systems, for example, in the low posterior fossa and foramen magnum
- enhanced ability to avoid critical structures
- capability to treat lesions in the neck and spine
- ability to treat larger tumors
- ability to treat tumors that are inoperable
- ability to treat lesions throughout the body
• delivery of highly conformal dose distributions
• option of fractionating treatment
• potential to target multiple tumors at different locations during a single treatment

My prayers are with you and your family.

jennymouse, Hi! I'm so glad to hear that ya'll enjoyed AKL. It is my favorite resort. When I spend more than a few days with my mother, we start spatting, too (PMS or not ;) ). I love her dearly, though.
We didn't like Boma for dinner, either. It was just....ugghhh.
I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers! :)

Originally posted by Pigsty333
Can't wait until our February trip. Everytime I read someone else's post, it just wets my appetite a little more.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Just read an article about a new procedure for inoperable tumors, etc. Its called cyberknife.

Hope this helps and check it out:

Treatment delivery overview

The CyberKnife® Stereotactic Radiosurgery System is the only radiosurgery system with • a compact 6-MV linear accelerator,
• a computer-controlled robotic arm with six degrees of freedom, and
• image-guidance technology that eliminates the need for a rigid stereotactic frame and enables treatment of extra-cranial sites.

This combination of technology provides an essential advantage: unmatched maneuverability in targeting.

Compared to conventional stereotactic radiosurgery systems, the CyberKnife system provides: • increased access to and coverage of any target volume
• broader range of clinical applications including
- ability to treat lesions in and around the cranium that are unreachable with other systems, for example, in the low posterior fossa and foramen magnum
- enhanced ability to avoid critical structures
- capability to treat lesions in the neck and spine
- ability to treat larger tumors
- ability to treat tumors that are inoperable
- ability to treat lesions throughout the body
• delivery of highly conformal dose distributions
• option of fractionating treatment
• potential to target multiple tumors at different locations during a single treatment

My prayers are with you and your family.

This sounds interesting...was there an address or phone number for a contact?

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Where is CyberKnife ® stereotactic radiosurgery available?

CyberKnife ® systems have been installed worldwide. See site locations.

Ask your doctor for more information regarding CyberKnife ® treatment or ask that he or she inquire for you about receiving more information.

What support groups and organizations are available to me?

(The following information is provided for your convenience only. Accuray does not endorse nor shall be responsible in any way for the content. All information provided is outside the control of Accuray, consequently, Accuray shall not be liable for any damage or loss caused by or in connection with use of such Web sites.)

International Radiosurgery Support Association
P.O.Box 60950
Harrisburg, PA 17106-0950
Tel: +1 717 671-1701
Fax: +1 717 671-1703
E-mail: getinfo@irsa.org
http://www.irsa.org

American Cancer Society
2200 Lake Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30319
Tel: +1 800-ACS-2345
Fax: +1 404 320-3333
http://www.cancer.org

Cancer Caring Center
4117 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Tel: +1 412 622-1212
Fax: +1 412 622-1216
E-mail: cancercaring@trfn.clpgh.org
http://trfn.clpgh.org/cancercaring

Cancer Support and Education Center
1035 Pine Street
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Tel: +1 650 327-6166
E-mail: cancersupport@cs-ec.org http://www.cyberstars.com/health/cancer/csec

http://www.accuray.com/contact/site_locations.htm

Originally posted by Pigsty333
Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Where is CyberKnife ® stereotactic radiosurgery available?

CyberKnife ® systems have been installed worldwide. See site locations.

Ask your doctor for more information regarding CyberKnife ® treatment or ask that he or she inquire for you about receiving more information.

What support groups and organizations are available to me?

(The following information is provided for your convenience only. Accuray does not endorse nor shall be responsible in any way for the content. All information provided is outside the control of Accuray, consequently, Accuray shall not be liable for any damage or loss caused by or in connection with use of such Web sites.)

International Radiosurgery Support Association
P.O.Box 60950
Harrisburg, PA 17106-0950
Tel: +1 717 671-1701
Fax: +1 717 671-1703
E-mail: getinfo@irsa.org
http://www.irsa.org

American Cancer Society
2200 Lake Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30319
Tel: +1 800-ACS-2345
Fax: +1 404 320-3333
http://www.cancer.org

Cancer Caring Center
4117 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Tel: +1 412 622-1212
Fax: +1 412 622-1216
E-mail: cancercaring@trfn.clpgh.org
http://trfn.clpgh.org/cancercaring

Cancer Support and Education Center
1035 Pine Street
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Tel: +1 650 327-6166
E-mail: cancersupport@cs-ec.org http://www.cyberstars.com/health/cancer/csec

http://www.accuray.com/contact/site_locations.htm

Hi! I did a Google search on Cyberknife this morning then called Mom's radiology-oncology doctor. She didn't seem to know anything about "Cyber"knife but she brought up "Gamma"knife which I think is sort of the same thing. She said that those things are used for people who have ONE tumor and my mother has seven. However, after this round of radiation that she's getting on her whole head, if there's like one stubborn one left, the Cyber or Gamma knife could be used. I'm printing up a bunch of the info in Cyberknife since she knew so little about it. I think there's a lot of difference myself.

So thanks!

Moderators, please forgive us for getting off track here. :D

I just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Prayers and pixie dust are being sent your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter