• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from 4 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel, IOA, and Universal

CJ

DIS Veteran
We've been back a week and I'm still tired!LOL!
We did 8 nights at WDW and then on to HRH for 4.

Had two amazing lunches at Mythos (loved it so much the first time returned 2 days later), dinners at Margaritaville, Sunset Grill, and Pastamore, and a late lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Mixed reaction to the HRH, but the FOTL was wonderful!!!!! Any questions about the hotel, parks, or meals?:)

What are your opinions on the HR cafe, sunset grill and pastamore? Do you remember what you had?
Eating out is one of my favorite things to do at USO!!

Welcome back!

Can you give more details on the HRH? What did you like and not like about the hotel? Thanks!

nhrenee, I totally agree about the food. We love to eat on vacation as well!:D

Sunset Grill was good, though not great, and very expensive. We tried a whole lot of different things, DS (18) loved the caesar salad but wasn't too keen on the duck pizza (yeah duck, he was willing to try it and I was so stunned!;) ). DH had the tuna for a main course, his first time trying it, and thought it just okay. I ordered the meatloaf and it was tasty. I think DD (15) had a burger, but I'm not sure. It certainly wasn't a bad meal, but at that price we wouldn't return.

We went to the Hard Rock Cafe at about 4:00 pm on a Wednesday. This was perfect timing as the place wasn't very busy. We had spent the day at Universal Studios and if you exit by Nickelodeon Studios, the restaurant is like a one minute walk!
Many free refills of soda for our thirsty bunch. DH had the pasta bolognese which he said was very good. DS had the chicken tenders for an appetizer (like Buffalo chicken wings, but pure meat). He thought they were about the best thing he's ever had!! He and I each ordered the Pig Sandwich which was good, but huge! DD had a burger (do you see a trend here?;))

Pastamore was our last dinner, on a Wednesday at 7:30 pm. I had made a p.s. for 8:00 pm, but they took us early. First they seated us in the very front, which was too noisy. But they moved us to a quieter section when we asked. Our waiter, Wex, was wonderful and spent a great deal of time with us and DD had a lot of fun. She had Italian Wedding Soup (different than what she's used to, but not bad) and the Tomato and Cheese salad which she liked. DS had Caesar salad and Chicken parmagiana (huge portion!!). I had the house salad that was also big and Chicken Piccata that was very good. They substituted roasted potatoes and peppers for the pasta for me. DS and DH shared an antipasto that they said had way too many olives and not enough meat or cheese. DH had the Veal Piccata with pasta. The food here was good, not great, and the servings were REALLY LARGE! I would definitely recommend sharing here!:)

All 3 places were good, but oh my goodness ask me about Mythos!;)

lovelyk68, here goes!:)

THE BAD:
the prices of food and drinks was just obscene. ie. $6.49 for a VIRGIN strawberry daquiri!

the shallow pool: at that size they sure could have a deep end! And it wasn't cool enough to refresh us after a hot morning touring.

housekeeping: dirty wine glasses left behind, late and sloppily done, and I left a note asking for extra bath towels each day and never got them.

THE GOOD:
the staff was very friendly.

the free boatride to CityWalk was very nice.

the free bottle of wine for my Loebs First perk.

it is a beautiful hotel, though the bathroom was small.

walking to the parks and City Walk!

THE BEST:
Front of the Line access ruled! Especially for the shows in the hot day, while everyone waited outside the theater we waltzed in to reserved seating out of the sun!! If they change the FOTL and don't improve their service and prices, I predict they will lose a lot of customers. JMHO.

Okay, I will ask. What about Mythos? I keep hearing it is good and would like to try it if the food is not to fancy(not sure if that is the term I am looking for). What kind of food do they serve? My kids won't eat to fancy.

Thanks for asking SherryfromOK!LOL!!

These were perhaps the best two lunches we've ever had! It is a beautiful restaurant; it kind of looks like a giant grotto or cave but not at all dark inside. The waiters all have Greek names (pretend). It is a fancy place, ie. cloth napkins and beautiful presentations of the dinnerware and food. I'm not sure how old your children are, my are teens and so are becoming accustomed to nicer places (They eat better on our Orlando trips than here at home, that's for sure!LOL!). But it's not at all a "snooty" place and we noticed lots of children eating there.

Everything you order is served artistically. Our first lunch DH and DD shared a Buffalo Mozzarella and Tomato Salad. It was beautiful: different colored tomatoes layered with cheese over a bed of baby greens in a fabulous dressing with applewood bacon. They ADORED this salad and had it at our second lunch as well!

DS and I shared the Caesar Salad and it was wonderful, although DS found it strange to be served the lettuce leaves whole and having to cut them. Fresh croutons and parmesan cheese as well!

The first lunch I had the Tuna Tenderloin which was absolutely delicious. I ate every bite of everything. My second lunch I had the Cedar Plank Salmon which to my amazement was even better, actually served on a steaming hot piece of cedar!
Both had delicious accompaniments of potatoes and vegetables.

DD both lunches had the Bacon and Cheddar burger served with shoestring french fries that she LOVED! DS had the burger his second lunch and the Chicken Club Sandwich his first (good, but not great he said).

DH had the pizza of the day our first lunch and the wrap of the day the second. He enjoyed both.

We don't normally get desserts. Thank goodness we did! Our first lunch DD and I shared their Praline Cheesecake rollups, light and delicious, but nothing like normal cheescake. Our second lunch we shared A Tasting of Chocolate: an assortment of goodies that included mousse, truffles, gooey cake, chocolate covered strawberries... oh my goodness! On both days DH and DS had the Warm Chocolate Gooey Cake with Peanut Butter ice cream.
They both ranked it as one of the best desserts anywhere!! (The gooey cake was the same one we had on our chocolate platter).

I truly cannot recommend any restaurant at U.O. anywhere near as high as Mythos. It was awesome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter