Just Back From 1st DVC Stay @ OKW

BSil

Mouseketeer
So, I purchased DVC based on a friend's recommendation. I had not been to Disney since the early 80's. Clearly my memories of Disney could not have prepared me for what I was about to experience.

I bought DVC because I knew I wanted to take the kids several times, and it seemed like a pretty fair price to pay, to stay at some outstanding resorts. I don't know what exactly I was expecting to see upon arrival, but I was thrilled with the accommodations. We had a 1BR at OKW for 8 nights, and it was absolutely beautiful. I loved the way the whole resort was set up. I loved not walking through a large lobby to get in an elevator, and ride up 6 floors, and then into a hallway where everything looks the same. OKW was just a beautiful, spread out, private resort.

We had so much room, for the four of us. Having in room laundry was something that made a huge difference during our stay. The room was super clean when we checked in. Everything worked, and thankfully the AC was keeping it cool because it was HOT and muggy there last week.

I guess, I just wanted to share a positive experience. I was able to tour a few of the other DVC resorts because my friend stayed at AK and BCV during our trip. Although they were very nice, I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on OKW. Every CM that I encountered in OKW was excellent. I had a slight issue with my dining plan, and they worked quickly to figure it out, even calling the restaurant that messed up the TS charge, and had it corrected. I wish I could say the same for CMs throughout the parks.

There was a ton of good to this trip. I did feel slightly disappointed that there was not a DVC discount at all of the gift shops though. It was hit or miss on what discounts each shop had. I found it odd that each shop had a different policy. Luckily we had APs, and the Disney Visa, so we were covered in most shops, but I know we won't do APs again, it was a one time deal to use up some points this year. I feel like the DVC discount should be available all throughout the resort, since it is "Disney's Best Kept Secret," after all. I also didn't care for the number of cards I had to carry. I had my room key, and then I also had APs for each member of my family. It would be super convenient if they could put everything on one card. Then I could scan the one card for my whole family to get in the park, and get fast passes. I really don't understand why they even bother with park passes, when they had us all scanning our fingers to get in. Shouldn't they just be able to match the print, and pass in a database, and allow entry? That would make it even more simplistic, and possibly have one carry only one key card, to open the room. I know that is pretty picky, but I felt like it took forever some days to get into the park, due to all the finger scanning, and ticket insertion.

All in all, I am very happy that I decided to purchase DVC, and even happier that I bought at OKW. I think it will be something that my family will love for years to come.

Wow, what a difference almost three decades make!

So glad you enjoyed your time and that you are still excited about your recent investment, even with the bumps along the road.

Thanks for the great report --

I'm so glad you're happy with your experience and your decision! My DH also prefers not to deal w/ a hotel lobby and elevators like he has to do on business trips. OKW is more like a condo community with the ability to park outside your door. Welcome Home! :wizard:

to the OKW club!! We are owners since 1993 and absolutely love that resort!!:thumbsup2

Congrats on your first trip and welcome home :)

It's refreshing to read some positivity so thank you we love our DVC too :)

Welcome Home! Glad you enjoyed your trip. We are dying to try OKW. We've heard so many wonderful things about it. Thanks for sharing a little more.

OKW is an amazing resort. I love the size of the rooms, and the overall feel of the resort. My family likes to stay at OKW or BCV. While we like the resort and rooms better at OKW we just LOVE the close proximity to Epcot and DHS at BCV.

I agree about the washer and dryer... I see a lot of people say on these boards that they don't want to be burdened with laundry on vacation. I guess I kind of get that, and I don't have kids, and I don't do my DH's laundry, so I am not a person that is doing laundry daily anyway. I REALLY love having fresh clean clothes everyday! I usually find something comfortable and wear it a few times, and I love that I have that option. I think it is a great way to travel!

Glad you had a great trip! I hope you are able to enjoy MANY more!

Glad you learned what we have known for a long time....OKW is the best!:thumbsup2

Welcome home! Best part about the washer/dryer is not having to pack a lot for longer trips especially when multiplied times 4 members of a family. Just swap loads when you come and go from the parks.

OKW feels like a vacation within a vacation to us. We love the laid back feeling we get at that resort!!

Welcome to DVC! That must be some trustworthy friend if you bought on their recommendation with you having not been there since the 80's!!!

:welcome:HOME !!!

There was a ton of good to this trip. I did feel slightly disappointed that there was not a DVC discount at all of the gift shops though. It was hit or miss on what discounts each shop had. I found it odd that each shop had a different policy. Luckily we had APs, and the Disney Visa, so we were covered in most shops,

Always ask. It's surprising the number of unannounced specials available. On one visit there was a significant AP merchandise discount but the cast members would only provide it when asked. Fortunately a CM told us about it so we opened our mouths at every purchase. Another visit we received multiple discounts on our purchase, ie., DVC and AP. Again, we had to ask.

but I know we won't do APs again,

This is one of those "it depends." Our general rule is anytime we know we will make multiple visits that exceed ten days the AP is more cost effective. Plus the TIW card takes a dent out of the cost of food and adult beverages. When we first joined DVC we bought APs (this is pre-DVC AP discount) then made sure we staggered our trips so that we could get two trips out of each AP thereby purchasing one every other year. Then addonitis kicked in and now we make at least three trips a year. In that scenario the AP is significantly cheaper than the MYW.

I also didn't care for the number of cards I had to carry. I had my room key, and then I also had APs for each member of my family. It would be super convenient if they could put everything on one card. Then I could scan the one card for my whole family to get in the park, and get fast passes

We have six children, two grandkids, my DW and myself. I can't count the number of times my DW and DDs had to go to Epcot to see Geir Ness while my DS and I when to HS for Rock n Roller Coaster or a Star Wars Weekend. Or our teenagers decided to go to another park while my DW and I decided to have breakfast on the boardwalk. There are some rides my kids would do but I wouldn't and vice versa. A single pass would not work for us.

I really don't understand why they even bother with park passes, when they had us all scanning our fingers to get in. Shouldn't they just be able to match the print, and pass in a database, and allow entry? That would make it even more simplistic, and possibly have one carry only one key card, to open the room. I know that is pretty picky, but I felt like it took forever some days to get into the park, due to all the finger scanning, and ticket insertion.

The finger scan system is consistently inconsistent. There are some days that the CM will tell you just to insert your card and not scan your finger, that that feature has been disabled that day. There is the general rule to go left at the entrance since most of the folks drift to the right, except at Epcot. Very often we will head to a park entrance and see beyond the long lines a couple of turnstiles that may have one or two people going through. Disney designed the parks and product placement based on the concept that more than 75% of the guests will head towards the right side of the park first. I learned that at a Disney Institute seminar I attended. What we find the most frustrating is the security baggage search. We've made it into a game to see which family member will get through first.

All in all, I am very happy that I decided to purchase DVC, and even happier that I bought at OKW. I think it will be something that my family will love for years to come.

:thumbsup2

Welcome Home Neighbor! :goodvibes

We just purchased DVC - OKW as well, sight unseen - but have only been able to stay there once out of the soon to be three times going. I think people are catching onto our wonderful resort! I love all the others but am especially enamoured with OKW! :cloud9::love:

I am so happy that you loved OKW. My wife and I stayed there on our 1st anniversary trip Sept. 2010 and loved it also. It is such a laid back resort that makes you feel so relaxed and peaceful.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter