Just back from 1st Disney Cruise...My Thoughts (Solo traveler)

Senses Spa

I do not see a lot of info on this board about the adult only areas or activities, so I will try to spend a little bit of time on these. First, I will talk about my FAVORITE: the spa.

If you are interested at all in using the spa, you should go on the first day and do the tour. They will tell you about all of the services offered as well as show you the different spaces like the rainforest room, gym, couple massage rooms, etc. The prices will be much higher than what you pay on land, but that is pretty much true for anything onboard. The first day, they offered a special if you would sign up for three services which would be 10% off the first service, 20% off the 2nd, and 30% off the third. This is actually a good deal if you are planning on spending much time here. They also have a length of voyage rain forest pass. I cannot remember the price, but it seemed reasonable if that is a place you'd like to hang out. I tried the hot stone loungers and found them very uncomfortable, but that is because hard surfaces often provoke my sciatic nerve. This is why I believe the spa tour is worth your time if you think you might be interested in the services. You can test out a couple of things. I had thought I would love the rainforest room looking at the pictures and descriptions online but found it was just not doing it for me in person.

All spa services will automatically add 18% gratuity. You do not have to tip additionally, but the payment form you sign will ask for tip. Just be aware of this because it does confuse some people.

The services offered include: haircuts, shaves, manicures, pedicures, facials, acupuncture, cool gel sculpting, and tons of massage options as well as other services. There is a wide variety of what you can do, and if you like spa days and don't mind the prices, this is a TERRIFIC place to be in my opinion. You can sign up online for spa services or wait until you board.

They had a special the first night if you signed up for a massage that night that you would get an extra 10 minutes free. I signed up for a hot stone massage, and it was absolute heaven. I had literally had about 2 hours sleep in 24 hours, so I was exhausted. The massage really helped refresh me, and I did not miss being involved in the Sail-A-Wave party at all! This was my first hot stone massage, and I left wondering why I had never had one before.

I decided to head back to the spa when my feet decided to swell up like an elephant's. I couldn't even fasten my sandals!! I had a Swedish massage by a different therapist, and it was wonderful too. I decided that, for me, spending money in the spa is 100% worth every penny. I know many people complain about the hard sell the spa gives, and this is basically true across all of the cruise lines. The spa employees are not employed by the cruise line. They are employed by OneSpaWorld. To me, they are not pushy, but they do try to sell, and some of them are very good salespeople knowing how to form a connection with the client and then presenting the sale in a helpful way. It can be hard to say no to someone who is helping you, but they definitely do take "no" for an answer.

If you are on the Magic and want an AMAZING massage therapist, ask for Preety. She is small but mighty and a truly sweet person who knew me by name after our first meeting. She did my hot stone massage, and I had wanted to book her again for my 2nd massage, but she was all booked up. I did see her while I was there, and she started chatting to me like an old friend.

Catherine did my Swedish massage and is also a very good massage therapist, but I did find a slight language barrier with her, because she did not always understand everything. If you do not like a firm massage, Catherine is NOT for you. She is very strong for a tiny little person.

Thank you for posting! We leave on our first Disney Cruise December 30th in the Magic and even though my whole family is going , me and my bestie don’t have kids so it’s nice to hear your review:)

Pools

Family Pool

I found that it was perfectly nice out by the main pool on Deck 9 early in the morning or late in the evening. After about 10am, it became a madhouse except on port days. The main family pool is, as everyone here says, very tiny. I honestly don't think it is much bigger than the adult only pool, and there are a LOT more passengers using it. The theming is nice, and the slides looked fun. Everyone on deck seemed to enjoy themselves, but it is not an area I spent much time in as I was a solo adult.

Adult Pool

The adult pool is separated by the main pool by a slight barrier. When you walk through, there is an immediate reduction in ambient noise. Also, the music they play is more akin to spa music,...very relaxing sounds.

On the port side, there is the Cove Cafe right by the entrance. The seating nearest the Cove Cafe is thick-cushioned dark wicker looking furniture (think Pier1). There are chairs and couches, some tables more like coffee tables. Just past the cafe, the chairs are wooden slat chairs with metal bases situated around round glass tables. They are comfortable for wooden chairs, but they are fairly heavy. Past this, there are some loungers faces out toward sea.

On the starboard side, there are simply chairs and tables like the one on the middle section of the port side.

Just behind the funnel vision on the adult pool side is Signals bar which offers pool side service. I walked up for a drink once and was never acknowledged, because the bartender was looking at a bottle and reading the label. I walked away and refused to give them any of my business after that. I noticed these guys were much less attentive when the ship was in port.

The adult pool is not large, but it is large enough. There is a small shower to wash off/acclimate on each side. You will need to step down into the shower a few inches. There are two covered whirlpools at the end of the pool -- one on each side. These have steps up to get to the whirlpool and then I think it was two steps into the pool. These were both very nice. Warm but not hot, lots of bubbles, and the jets were dispersed so that you weren't being blasted in one spot and nothing in another like I have seen in some whirlpools. I had some of the best times of my trip in these whirlpools. I was able to get it all to myself when I wanted it which was absolutely fabulous.

There is a ledge around the adult pool, a shelf of sorts where you step down into and there are a few inches of water there. Many people like to sit here and read. I found it nice to walk around and cool my feel after the whirlpool or before getting into the pool.

The pool shows it is 5'2" deep. It is deeper. I don't know by how much, but I am 5'3" and to touch bottom, I definitely had a few inches of water over my head. I was able to be in the pool a couple of times, and I had a great time entertaining myself. I think pools should be played in, but I guess most people just like to stand in them which I found weird. I did notice after I'd get in and move around in them, other people suddenly seemed to remember that you could do that in a pool and they would also start swimming a bit or moving and not just standing there. I just don't get standing in the middle of the pool, but then again, I would drown if I did that as I'm not tall enough to just stand there.

There are towels available on deck as well as towel return areas, and there are also trash receptacles on both sides. The seating on both sides with the tables is covered. There are two rows of loungers on each side of the pool, and these are not covered. The only covered loungers are port side far forward. This is also an area where you can occasionally smell cigarette smoke.

My friends spend most of their time onboard here. I noticed the same pattern for the adult areas I did in the main pool area...early morning, and later evening were quieter than the middle of the day though it was never loud. It was sometimes very full with every lounger occupied. Port days were my favorite, because it was virtually abandoned which made it a magical place for me. I sometimes have anxiety about being in a swimming suit in public, but it was really not an issue here.

Adult Activities

There are several adult only or adult leaning activities onboard. The ones I participated in were Bingo and Trivia. I was going to go to the variety act one night, but that was the night of my stomach issues, so I didn't make it. they also had some game shows, and I did go to one of those as well.

Bingo was hosted by Michael from the UK. It was a lot of fun, and I came very close several times to winning. My sad regret is that B3 was called instead of B1 on the final jackpot bingo. So close and yet so far to over $4000 dollars! :(

Trivia was hosted by Tony from Spain. Tony does have a thick accent which several people found difficult to understand. I did not have a problem as I am very used to accents similar to his being that I am from Texas and have many Mexican friends and co-workers. He was lots of fun and very good with the crowds. But beware, some of the trivia is super hard. For the music trivia, they sometimes use different mixes of songs you know so they don't really sound like you would expect (I'm looking at you techno-pop Copacabana!)

If you meet Gus on the magic, he loves to draw and always has a book of drawings with him. I saw him giving one of his drawings away to one of the ladies onboard who had gotten to know him.

Alex is very tall, and he likes to bake. He does some of the DJ gigs in Fathoms.

All of the cast members who worked the activities were very personable.

If you are traveling adults only and want to avoid the kids as much as possible, it is doable. They schedule a ton of activities on sea days, so it is really just a matter of picking the things you like to do which takes us to the Navigator App.

Navigator App

I got a paper navigator the first day, and I never looked at one again after that. I liked using the app. You can simply click on the list of activities and press the heart next to anything you think you might want to do, and the app will remind you when it's time to go.

You can also review the menus for the restaurants ahead of time, see the movie schedules, and check your account balance. I found it easy to use and preferred it to the paper version. However, if I were coordinating several people, I might have found the paper version better.

I never figured out how to send text messages through the app to my friends. I should have gotten it set up, but I didn't. I suggest if you cannot figure it out yourself, to have someone set it up as it is very convenient.

Wi-Fi/Text Messaging

I guess this is the best place to mention that even though I had my phone on airplane mode the entire time, I was able to text my mom back home with the onboard wi-fi. It only works if you have iMessenger. I tried to text my sister on her birthday, and I could not reach her; she has an android phone.

We asked at customer service, and they said they knew about this, but they weren't really sure why it was working that way but that it definitely was working that way for many passengers.

Honestly, I didn't realize how much I needed to stay in contact back home until I realized I was able to text my mom. It was a great feature and one that could possibly sway me to take another Disney cruise if I were doing another solo trip and leaving my mom (who is 76) home alone again.

Characters

There are SO MANY character opportunities onboard. They had multiple times for all of the major characters. We also saw many of them just walking through the ship. I got to see Donald play shuffle board with a little boy...so cute. My friend ran into both Minnie and Mickey upstairs on Deck 9 when she was just hanging out. These sightings were both fairly early before 10am.

I was not expecting Marvel characters onboard, but I did see them. I saw Spider-Man posing for pictures and Thor just walking by. Let me tell you, the guy they have playing Thor is very tall and very buff. I should have gotten in line! Actually, I wish I'd had my pic taken with Spidey, because my niece LOVES him, and I could have impressed her with that one. The Thor pic would have been just for me. :-)

Characters I know that made an appearance at some time or other were: Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Daisy, Chip and Dale, Fancy Nancy, Vampirina, Captain Hook & Smee, Jack Sparrow, Spider-Man, Thor.

I know there were others, but I don't remember who they were.

They did have a ticketed event for the both the princesses and a Frozen gathering, but I didn't see either, so I cannot confirm who was where.

The lines for some of the characters start gathering very early, 30 minutes before start time, so if you have your heart set on getting pictures with different characters, then definitely have time set aside to stand around. I had initially thought I would do this, but I did not find it worthwhile to me in the end.

My family will be going on our 6th Disney cruise next month. I have enjoyed reading your review. My dh and I sailed on the Magic in 2001 for our honeymoon. All our cruises since have either been on the Wonder or the Fantasy. Our 2021 cruise is booked on the Fantasy, but I'm thinking about changing it to a Magic cruise. I'm glad to hear they have Schwarma on the Magic, they also have it on the Wonder and I really liked it. Just wanted to let you know that the table assignment numbers change from cruise to cruise. So you could be on the Magic again and table 40 could be in a totally different place. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The tubs are not just for kids. I have used them on all our Disney cruises, and I am a 52 year old woman :)

Various Final Thoughts

Some of these should probably have gone earlier, but this is where they landed.

Embarkation

Embarkation was a zoo. I have never seen anything so disorganized in my life! It was ridiculous. Even the people at the port did not know where to tell us to go. My friends said it was worse than the last time they went with DCL. Saying it was a hot mess is actually giving it more credit than it deserves. Once our group was called, it was not too bad getting onboard, but I still do not understand why they put you through customs and then put you in a giant holding cell instead of just letting you go onboard. It was weird to me.

Debarkation

Disney definitely loses points to me for not having people assigned to different waiting areas like Princess does. People were just sitting anywhere and everywhere. We were fortunate because we had the late dinner which meant later breakfast at 8am, and we also had checked our bags with the airline onboard (Now, this was a service I REALLY liked!), so we were in the first group called to depart. We could basically leave any time we wanted to go after we ate. It was difficult to hear some of the groups called as well which is something that is eliminated when you group people and put them in specific rooms, because the attendants will be alerted and will let you know if you didn't hear it. Debarkation was better than Embarkation.

Customer Service

Disney definitely has excellent customer service representatives! I had a pleasant experience each time I had to deal with them. I was even able to get some Tylenol from them for my raging headache I had one day. (The ONE time, I didn't pack Tylenol, I desperately needed it.) And it did not stop at the Guest Services desk. Everyone onboard was very friendly. It is a BIG PLUS for DCL.

That said, I had many times when people treated me like I was invisible. More than one bartender walked by when I was wanting to order something or refused to acknowledge me. And it happened also in the shops when I was not helped/waited on.

Health Services

I had to go down to deck one to try and get some Tylenol, but they had limited hours. It's not something you know before you both to go downstairs, but they are closed between 11:30 and 4:30. If you need something like seasick pills or Tylenol, head to Guest Services first. They are always manned, and they can also tell you if the health clinic is open. I did end up going back to the health clinic after 4:30, and they gave me several packages of Tylenol to take though it was technically the generic version...I'm just way too lazy to look up how to spell that right now.

"Disney Magic"

You hear a lot of people talking about the Disney Magic and all the special touches DCL does. To be honest, I did not experience that so much. It was very good service, but I do not think it was more magical than other cruises I have been on. For me, when people treat me with respect and kindess, that is magical, and I do not personally believe Disney owns the market in this.

I did receive a Dory magnet on my door that I have no idea where it came from, and it honestly came when I'd been having a tough time, so I wonder if someone was trying to tell me to "just keep swimming." It did boost my spirits, so I don't know if it was magical or just a random act of kindness. It was appreciated either way.

Other Passengers

It is definitely a mixed group. I saw tons of families some of which were multi-generational groups. Some of the families definitely had that privileged vibe, but others did not. I also ran into several adult only groups. I saw many cultures represented as well. One of my favorite moments was having breakfast next to a group of older French Canadians. I would say it's very much like the parks in that respect.

However, there is a lack of courtesy on some people's parts that I'd like to vent about. If you are a 6'3" man, you do NOT need to go to the front of the tree lighting when there are clearly people who were there first. I actually saw these tall men a LOT on the ship who seemed to be by themselves, and they always thought they needed to "be able to see" by getting in the front. Who exactly are you not able to see over when you are that tall?! Maybe Thor, but he's busy getting his picture taken and saving the world. You also should not come to the movie theater drunk. It's obnoxious. And, as I stated earlier, for heaven's sake, take off your ears when you are watching a theater performance.

Cruise vs Parks

This is where it gets a bit tricky. I definitely see why some families might pick a cruise over the parks -- simpler logistics. For me, though, I prefer the parks. There is more theming which is what I really love about Disney. I like going from area to area and having everything change. I love the music in the different areas and the different smells. The ship seems like a ship to me...with some Disney touches here or there but not nearly the theming level you see in the parks. I also like the rides. So, I would never say a cruise could replace a parks vacation if you love the parks. They are very different experiences. To me, the cruise really was not Disney enough to give me a full Disney fix.

Would I do it again?

Maybe. I definitely think it was the best choice for me this time. I really needed to try my first solo trip, and the logistics of cruising were easier than some of my other choices. I have wanted to do a Disney cruise since they first began having cruises, and with my friends onboard, I felt like I had a bit of safety net. I also wanted to see if I really like cruising or if I had just loved my last cruise because of the location. I found that I do love it.

I do not think I would pay the Disney premium again unless it was absolutely the right cruise at the right price. I would NOT take DCL on any port intensive trip as it would be a waste of money in my book. My favorite times on the ship were port days--especially Castaway Cay when I basically had the ship to myself. (I was told there were 98 people on board out of over 2400.)

I probably had higher expectations because of all of the raves I hear from DCL fans. But I find a lot of those raves are from people who do not go on other cruise lines often or ever. People who cruise across different lines find exactly what I am finding, different lines have different things they excel in and different things that can improve but generally, they are more similar than dissimilar.

For some people, they find what they like on DCL their first trip and they do not see a reason to look elsewhere. My friends fall into this category. I understand this, but I am just not part of that group.

I would probably choose DCL again if I mostly wanted to stay onboard (which is what I did this time), because I did enjoy the ship. It is not gigantic, but it offers enough things to do without me getting board.

I am not the DCL target demographic. They know exactly who their clientele is, and that is families. While they do offer some great things for adult only trips, DCL does not care if you are a repeat adult only guest. You are not their bread and butter. Even their excursions are limited to basically family friendly ones. There were no adult only excursions offered in Grand Cayman which disappointed me. I do not expect DCL to change its model to suit me, so if I want something like a casino onboard, I will go to another line. I will come back to Disney if they have what I want at a reasonable price point for what is offered.

I did LOVE having Coke Zero onboard. It is hard to find on other cruise lines. And I am a big enough addict that it might be the tipping point for a future cruise ;).

I did not love this cruise enough to book a future cruise deposit. It was a good cruise, and I had a good time. But I don't believe DCL will be my home cruise line. (I cannot even begin to tell you how sad I felt when I saw the beautiful new Sky Princess moored beside us in Grand Cayman. I stared at her all day wondering what it was like onboard. She was my 2nd choice this time.) So, basically, I left with mixed feelings...loving some aspects like the adult only pool area, spa, and Deck 3 lounges and really not loving the loud dining rooms or pirate night. I will say that I did enjoy not having to pay extra for that adult only area. You do have to pay extra and have limited spaces for that kind of privacy on other lines.

Last Thoughts

I find that cruising always has a learning curve. I also believe all things Disney have a learning curve. I found my groove the 3rd day on the ship. And yes, I am a planner. I began obsessing as soon as I booked which was last January. I read every kind of blog, watched every kind of video, got all the info available, but there are still some things that you cannot know until you are onboard including what kind of energy you have that day and what sounds good. That's really the best part about cruising...just doing what you want when you want.

I know there are many very dedicated DCL fans. I do not think they are wrong to be this way. My only problem is when I simply state my opinion and someone feels they must defend DCL by coming at me. One of the people in our travel party was like this. I have no problem with you if DCL is your preferred cruise line. I have no problem with DCL. I do not believe DCL needs to change their business strategy to please me. I do know that I can get double cruise credits on other lines but not on DCL. (In other words, because I am paying for two people, other cruise lines would give me credit for two cruises or for 10 days instead of just 1 credit or just 5 days.) DCL gives just one credit making it harder to advance in their loyalty program. They also have fewer perks in their loyalty program...again, part of their business model and not a flaw...just a difference.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Otherwise, this wraps up my solo trip review. Thanks!

The tubs are not just for kids. I have used them on all our Disney cruises, and I am a 52 year old woman :)

That's great. I would never be able to fit. I would be stuck like Pooh in rabbit's house but without even the red shirt on. It's a frightening scenario.

I was looking forward to having a tub but decided I better not try that magic trick when I saw the actual tub.

Just wanted to let you know that the table assignment numbers change from cruise to cruise. So you could be on the Magic again and table 40 could be in a totally different place.

I did not know this. Thanks for the info!

really informative trip report and its great you include information which many people don't. I feel though that if you were to give DCL another try, the European routes might suit you better, as there is a far lower percentage of children and various adult only port excursions.

Also regarding rooms, I have booked an inside sideways room with no split bath. There are a limited number of these rooms, which have a different configuration than other rooms. The sideways rooms have the the door in the middle, with the bed to one side and the bathroom to the other side. Again as a solo traveler, an inside room would be more economical as like you say, there is so much going on that as a solo you don't really spend that much time in the room.

Also on the Northern Europe routes, its Frozen night, not Pirates night. Again something to consider, as you didn't like the Pirates night.

I'm not a Disney apologist and I understand your point of view, but just letting you see that DCL is more than just the family friendly , full of kids routes in The Caribbean.

really informative trip report and its great you include information which many people don't. I feel though that if you were to give DCL another try, the European routes might suit you better, as there is a far lower percentage of children and various adult only port excursions.

Also regarding rooms, I have booked an inside sideways room with no split bath. There are a limited number of these rooms, which have a different configuration than other rooms. The sideways rooms have the the door in the middle, with the bed to one side and the bathroom to the other side. Again as a solo traveler, an inside room would be more economical as like you say, there is so much going on that as a solo you don't really spend that much time in the room.

Also on the Northern Europe routes, its Frozen night, not Pirates night. Again something to consider, as you didn't like the Pirates night.

I'm not a Disney apologist and I understand your point of view, but just letting you see that DCL is more than just the family friendly , full of kids routes in The Caribbean.

Thanks for reading through everything. I would not choose DCL for a European cruise unless the pricing were competitive with other lines (which they usually are not). I actually didn’t mind the number of kids. It kept the adults only areas less crowded. Plus, I enjoyed seeing the kids enjoy themselves. One of my very most memorable exchanges was with a little boy dressed as Prince Charming. He really was charming.

I must have a window. I tried booking an inside and thought about the sideways rooms. I just couldn’t do it. I loved my window and would not have loved being in an inside room. So, I’d be stuck with the dreaded split bathrooms if I cruise DCL again. If I could talk myself into the inside cabin, I’d probably like the sideways cabin best.

Thanks for reading through everything. I would not choose DCL for a European cruise unless the pricing were competitive with other lines (which they usually are not). I actually didn’t mind the number of kids. It kept the adults only areas less crowded. Plus, I enjoyed seeing the kids enjoy themselves. One of my very most memorable exchanges was with a little boy dressed as Prince Charming. He really was charming.

I must have a window. I tried booking an inside and thought about the sideways rooms. I just couldn’t do it. I loved my window and would not have loved being in an inside room. So, I’d be stuck with the dreaded split bathrooms if I cruise DCL again. If I could talk myself into the inside cabin, I’d probably like the sideways cabin best.

Actually on the Fantasy and Dream (don't know about the Magic/Wonder) there are a a very few oceanview cabins that don't have the split bath. They are very far forward and on an upper deck. We had one booked but when I found out it didn't have the split bath I changed to a different cabin. I don't remember which deck the cabin was on, but if I remember correctly there were only 2 or 4 cabins like this on the entire ship, so not well known. There are pics of it on the DCL site, it had a really cool lay out, but not having a split bath just wouldn't work for my family.

Various Final Thoughts

Some of these should probably have gone earlier, but this is where they landed.

Embarkation

Embarkation was a zoo. I have never seen anything so disorganized in my life! It was ridiculous. Even the people at the port did not know where to tell us to go. My friends said it was worse than the last time they went with DCL. Saying it was a hot mess is actually giving it more credit than it deserves. Once our group was called, it was not too bad getting onboard, but I still do not understand why they put you through customs and then put you in a giant holding cell instead of just letting you go onboard. It was weird to me.

Debarkation

Disney definitely loses points to me for not having people assigned to different waiting areas like Princess does. People were just sitting anywhere and everywhere. We were fortunate because we had the late dinner which meant later breakfast at 8am, and we also had checked our bags with the airline onboard (Now, this was a service I REALLY liked!), so we were in the first group called to depart. We could basically leave any time we wanted to go after we ate. It was difficult to hear some of the groups called as well which is something that is eliminated when you group people and put them in specific rooms, because the attendants will be alerted and will let you know if you didn't hear it. Debarkation was better than Embarkation.

Customer Service

Disney definitely has excellent customer service representatives! I had a pleasant experience each time I had to deal with them. I was even able to get some Tylenol from them for my raging headache I had one day. (The ONE time, I didn't pack Tylenol, I desperately needed it.) And it did not stop at the Guest Services desk. Everyone onboard was very friendly. It is a BIG PLUS for DCL.

That said, I had many times when people treated me like I was invisible. More than one bartender walked by when I was wanting to order something or refused to acknowledge me. And it happened also in the shops when I was not helped/waited on.

Health Services

I had to go down to deck one to try and get some Tylenol, but they had limited hours. It's not something you know before you both to go downstairs, but they are closed between 11:30 and 4:30. If you need something like seasick pills or Tylenol, head to Guest Services first. They are always manned, and they can also tell you if the health clinic is open. I did end up going back to the health clinic after 4:30, and they gave me several packages of Tylenol to take though it was technically the generic version...I'm just way too lazy to look up how to spell that right now.

"Disney Magic"

You hear a lot of people talking about the Disney Magic and all the special touches DCL does. To be honest, I did not experience that so much. It was very good service, but I do not think it was more magical than other cruises I have been on. For me, when people treat me with respect and kindess, that is magical, and I do not personally believe Disney owns the market in this.

I did receive a Dory magnet on my door that I have no idea where it came from, and it honestly came when I'd been having a tough time, so I wonder if someone was trying to tell me to "just keep swimming." It did boost my spirits, so I don't know if it was magical or just a random act of kindness. It was appreciated either way.

Other Passengers

It is definitely a mixed group. I saw tons of families some of which were multi-generational groups. Some of the families definitely had that privileged vibe, but others did not. I also ran into several adult only groups. I saw many cultures represented as well. One of my favorite moments was having breakfast next to a group of older French Canadians. I would say it's very much like the parks in that respect.

However, there is a lack of courtesy on some people's parts that I'd like to vent about. If you are a 6'3" man, you do NOT need to go to the front of the tree lighting when there are clearly people who were there first. I actually saw these tall men a LOT on the ship who seemed to be by themselves, and they always thought they needed to "be able to see" by getting in the front. Who exactly are you not able to see over when you are that tall?! Maybe Thor, but he's busy getting his picture taken and saving the world. You also should not come to the movie theater drunk. It's obnoxious. And, as I stated earlier, for heaven's sake, take off your ears when you are watching a theater performance.

Cruise vs Parks

This is where it gets a bit tricky. I definitely see why some families might pick a cruise over the parks -- simpler logistics. For me, though, I prefer the parks. There is more theming which is what I really love about Disney. I like going from area to area and having everything change. I love the music in the different areas and the different smells. The ship seems like a ship to me...with some Disney touches here or there but not nearly the theming level you see in the parks. I also like the rides. So, I would never say a cruise could replace a parks vacation if you love the parks. They are very different experiences. To me, the cruise really was not Disney enough to give me a full Disney fix.

Would I do it again?

Maybe. I definitely think it was the best choice for me this time. I really needed to try my first solo trip, and the logistics of cruising were easier than some of my other choices. I have wanted to do a Disney cruise since they first began having cruises, and with my friends onboard, I felt like I had a bit of safety net. I also wanted to see if I really like cruising or if I had just loved my last cruise because of the location. I found that I do love it.

I do not think I would pay the Disney premium again unless it was absolutely the right cruise at the right price. I would NOT take DCL on any port intensive trip as it would be a waste of money in my book. My favorite times on the ship were port days--especially Castaway Cay when I basically had the ship to myself. (I was told there were 98 people on board out of over 2400.)

I probably had higher expectations because of all of the raves I hear from DCL fans. But I find a lot of those raves are from people who do not go on other cruise lines often or ever. People who cruise across different lines find exactly what I am finding, different lines have different things they excel in and different things that can improve but generally, they are more similar than dissimilar.

For some people, they find what they like on DCL their first trip and they do not see a reason to look elsewhere. My friends fall into this category. I understand this, but I am just not part of that group.

I would probably choose DCL again if I mostly wanted to stay onboard (which is what I did this time), because I did enjoy the ship. It is not gigantic, but it offers enough things to do without me getting board.

I am not the DCL target demographic. They know exactly who their clientele is, and that is families. While they do offer some great things for adult only trips, DCL does not care if you are a repeat adult only guest. You are not their bread and butter. Even their excursions are limited to basically family friendly ones. There were no adult only excursions offered in Grand Cayman which disappointed me. I do not expect DCL to change its model to suit me, so if I want something like a casino onboard, I will go to another line. I will come back to Disney if they have what I want at a reasonable price point for what is offered.

I did LOVE having Coke Zero onboard. It is hard to find on other cruise lines. And I am a big enough addict that it might be the tipping point for a future cruise ;).

I did not love this cruise enough to book a future cruise deposit. It was a good cruise, and I had a good time. But I don't believe DCL will be my home cruise line. (I cannot even begin to tell you how sad I felt when I saw the beautiful new Sky Princess moored beside us in Grand Cayman. I stared at her all day wondering what it was like onboard. She was my 2nd choice this time.) So, basically, I left with mixed feelings...loving some aspects like the adult only pool area, spa, and Deck 3 lounges and really not loving the loud dining rooms or pirate night. I will say that I did enjoy not having to pay extra for that adult only area. You do have to pay extra and have limited spaces for that kind of privacy on other lines.

Last Thoughts

I find that cruising always has a learning curve. I also believe all things Disney have a learning curve. I found my groove the 3rd day on the ship. And yes, I am a planner. I began obsessing as soon as I booked which was last January. I read every kind of blog, watched every kind of video, got all the info available, but there are still some things that you cannot know until you are onboard including what kind of energy you have that day and what sounds good. That's really the best part about cruising...just doing what you want when you want.

I know there are many very dedicated DCL fans. I do not think they are wrong to be this way. My only problem is when I simply state my opinion and someone feels they must defend DCL by coming at me. One of the people in our travel party was like this. I have no problem with you if DCL is your preferred cruise line. I have no problem with DCL. I do not believe DCL needs to change their business strategy to please me. I do know that I can get double cruise credits on other lines but not on DCL. (In other words, because I am paying for two people, other cruise lines would give me credit for two cruises or for 10 days instead of just 1 credit or just 5 days.) DCL gives just one credit making it harder to advance in their loyalty program. They also have fewer perks in their loyalty program...again, part of their business model and not a flaw...just a difference.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Otherwise, this wraps up my solo trip review. Thanks!

First of all, thank you very much for your review. I loved it and can relate for so many reasons.

My first cruise was with DCL and when you keep talking with hardcore DCL guests, it's hard to imagine that you could actually enjoy yourself on another cruise line.

After 2 cruises, my husband and I suffered an accident and had to tone down plans ($) in 2016. When I boarded the Carnival Victory (prior to the re-imagining), parts of me was convinced that I could have a good time but... I was in denial. Deep down inside, I was soooo scared that I was gonna hate it. I was expecting terrible food, dirty and ugly ship, drunk people everywhere. I booked a balcony and brought board games thinking we'd end up wanting to hide in our cabin for the duration of the cruise...

Can you imagine my surprise when I actually had fun, liked their shows and everyone I met was nice and well behaved? LOL *insert shocked pikachu face here*

Now, 3 DCL, 5 CCL and 1 RCCL cruise later, I'm not saying I would never cruise with DCL again... But when I'm getting such a great experience on other lines for a much much lower price, DCL is not my first choice anymore.

And I definitely want to try different cruise lines!

Nice review thanks. I'm looking forward to trying other cruise lines apart from Disney, when my kids are grown up. Probably in another 15 years!

Thanks for reading through everything. I would not choose DCL for a European cruise unless the pricing were competitive with other lines (which they usually are not)....

I totally agree with you on choosing a lower priced line for Europe or other port-intensive itineraries. We were fortunate to get inside cabins on DCL’s first Med cruise for $1K pp (11 nights) in 2010. We’ll never see that pricing again! But we weren’t on the ship enough to justify the current pricing. TA and PC routes are great for soaking in the DCL Kool-Aid and enjoying the beauty of the ships. That’s why Princess is my go-to for Alaska where the scenery is the show.

Actually on the Fantasy and Dream (don't know about the Magic/Wonder) there are a a very few oceanview cabins that don't have the split bath. They are very far forward and on an upper deck. ...I don't remember which deck the cabin was on, ...

Category 8A on Decks 5 & 6. Deck 5 rooms have a divider wall; Deck 6 has a central pole. Two big windows, two TVs. Single bathroom. Dream and Fantasy only (so far). Bigger boat, not as intimate as the Magic you were on - which means more people in dining rooms. Don’t know if the sound level is toned down by the somewhat compartmentalized layout or not.

... I also agree about the chairs in D-Lounge. A bit of a challenge with no arms and smooshy cushions.

As a mainly DCL cruiser, I won’t lambast you on your opinions :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter