JUST BACK - A Short Visit To The Fort

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
We just got back from the Fort last night. :woohoo:

After years of annual trips to the Fort during various seasons, we merely "passed through" on our way down to Key West (one night) and then stopped by the Fort again on our way northward. It was Spring Break and my oldest DS18 who's a senior in high school might not be able to do this in the future so we did the big trip this year.

The Fort was FULL (nearly so) each night we were there. I took a few pictures which I need to upload to Photobucket so I can link here. There was a surprise here-and-there: I also bumped into and spoke to a retired political figure from this Board (alas, term limits forced him from office along with some operatives) in the Meadow TP.

I did a little exploring, an early morning walk, attended two campfire sing-a-longs, and caught a show. I'll get my pix organized then post more later.

But let me say it's good to be home. :cloud9:

Bama ED

Okay.

As I said we stopped by the Fort for one night headed south to Key West and for one night headed home. Dates were Saturday night March 12 and Friday night March 18. We pulled a pop-up to Key West so naturally I requested a Partial Hook-up site at the Fort. (I requested 1500 loop both times).

We got to the Fort about 3 p.m. on Saturday 3/12 and all six check-in lanes at the Fort were backed up full of campers and RV’s. I pulled far left into lane #1 and had good luck at getting to the Cast Member after about 10 minutes. We had done the early check-in so it was less than two minutes to get our paper work and head to the site. However, they could not put me in 1500 but had moved me to a Premium site (bumped to First Class, as it were). The CM asked me if 1400 was okay. I said nope, too loud with the movie. How about 900? (it’s right across from the Meadow Trading Post and we’ve stayed in it twice before). 900 was available (915 in back). We cruised down and backed into our site.
DSC05858.jpg

DSC05859.jpg

It was about 75F and we did a quick set-up (only electrical no canopy) since we would be there one night. Things looked good around the Fort although it seemed SLAMMED full (few empty sites and LOTS of kids around). It was time then to check out the Meadow TP then do a walk-about while the kids swam (too cool for me).
DSC05856.jpg

DSC05860.jpg

While in the Meadow TP who should I bump into but the Former Mayor of Fort Wilderness Donnie himself. We caught up on how he and others had been run out of office and while I don’t suspect the Hizzoner of anything improper his cronies were more than guilty and I told him so. Anyway, he told me what he was doing now that he was out of politics and where he could be found. So it was nice to catch up with an old friend. BTW, Hizzoner had helped me plan my Key West portion of this trip by visiting my Key West private campsite (Boyd’s) and sending back a campground map. So a big thank you to Hizzoner from a happy constituent.

While DW chaperoned the pool time for the kids I set off for the Pioneer Hall area. I planned to get a GiddyUp & Go from Trail’s End for supper and checked out the Marina area before supper. It was getting close to time for the 5pm Hoop Dee Doo Review check-in and the service window at Crockett’s Tavern was doing a walk-up business.
DSC05866.jpg

DSC05871.jpg

DSC05872.jpg

DSC05877.jpg

DSC05876.jpg

After supper we set off for the singalong to catch a photo op with Chip & Dale.
DSC05880.jpg

Then it was on the boat to the Contemporary to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the 4th floor observation deck. We’ve watched it from the FW beach before but it was nice to be closer. Actually, we climbed up a few flights of exterior stairs to see the fireworks.
DSC05884.jpg

DSC05891.jpg

The boat service back to the Fort was interrupted for the return of the Pirates Fireworks Cruise and the Electrical Light Parade so it took a while to get back to our site. It got cold that night (down to 48F if you believe my car thermometer). Everyone wanted to sleep in so we didn’t set off for Key West till 9 a.m.. I’ll post more about our return trip to the Fort on our way home later.

Bama ED

Nice pics and you have a lovely family. :thumbsup2

Can't wait for the return pics. popcorn::

And if you want to tell us/show us about Key West. popcorn::

Okay Frank and Denise you talked me into it. I'll throw in some Key West pictures too. But first a story.

When we left Alabama Saturday and drove to the Fort we gained an hour going from the Central to Eastern time zone. On Sunday morning we went to Daylight Savings Time and moved clocks forward again one hour. Two moves in two days was "two" much for my crew. I wanted to hit the road early at sunrise (my kids call me Captain Daddy) but it wasn't happening THAT morning. But we ate a quick breakfast, broke down the camper, and left the Fort right at 9 a.m..

I left WDW via Osceola Parkway by Wide World of Sports and headed east to the Turnpike. I had bought a Sunpass and loaded up some money on it for tolls so we could roll right through the toll stations like a Florida resident. It was wonderful. We got lunch to go just where the Turnpike ends south of Miami and then headed down to Key Largo on US Highway 1. Key Largo is the first island of the Keys and the approach is made through about 10 miles of two lane highway through marsh and canals. Then a big bridge looms ahead and drops you into the laid back islands of the Keys. Largo is about 100 miles from Key West so you drive along and watch the mile markers count down as you drive through Islamorada, Marathon, across 7-mile bridge, Big Pine, and on into Key West.
DSC05895.jpg

DSC05896.jpg

We were staying at a private campground called Boyd's on Stock Island (mile marker 5) which is in the Key West city limits. I had tried to get in the state parks in the keys (cheaper) but they book up FULL 11 months in advance this time of year and we planned 3 of our 4 full days in Key West so I wanted to stay close. I'll share more on Boyd's later but I would recommend it with some stipulations. Got checked in and set up by 4 p.m. and headed to Publix for some grub. Dinner was at Hogfish Grill there on Stock Island less than a mile from Boyds near where the fishing boats tie up. Good food, relaxed setting, not too touristy. Naturally I got hogfish for dinner.

Monday our first full day in Key West was sight seeing day. Land is scarce in the Keys and parking lots/rates can be expensive but I had researched and found a surface lot on Simonton street near Sloppy Joes Bar for only $10/day. So we parked, slathered on some suntan lotion, and hit the streets. Let me say the weather all week was wonderful, high about 80F and low about 70F with 50% humidity and UV indexes of 10+. Roosters/chickens roam free and loose all over Key West.
DSC05902.jpg

It was quiet on Duval Street full of t-shirt shops, hotels, restaurants, b&b's, moped rentals, and we headed for the Southernmost point marker. Got the obligatory family photo there but here is the marker.
DSC05910.jpg

Then we ambled down Whitehead street and visited the Key West lighthouse, Hemmingway's house, US 1 Mile Marker 0,Truman's Little White House (lots of houses, huh?), the Mel Fisher Maritime museum, and then we sat in the shade of the Mallory Square shopping district. We had packed a picnic lunch which we discreetly ate after the Hemmingway tour all the while trying to keep the 6-toed cats from getting my cheese curls.
DSC05917.jpg

DSC05924.jpg

DSC05932.jpg

DSC05934.jpg

We got some pizza for supper from a place on Duval Street then headed over for one of the must-do's in Key West, watching the sun set from Mallory Square.

For those that don't know, Mallory Square is a large open brick plaza on the west end of the island. About 90 minutes before sun down every day, street performers set up (maybe 6-7 of them and they are carry permits from the city) and entertain the crowds until sunset. Donations are accepted and I will say warranted in most cases. We saw a tumbler/gymnast, an escape artist in a straight jacket, a unicyclist juggling flambeaux, an acrobat team (the best), a fire eater, and more. Some call it street art, others a freak show, but it is entertaining.
DSC05951.jpg

But it all pauses as the sun sinks to the horizon out over the water.
DSC05960-1.jpg

DSC05968.jpg

The crowds dispersed and we headed back to the car. It being spring break in Key West the night life was about to heat up and I had to do my fatherly duty and get the children in the car QUICKLY. Because I don't condone that kind of behavior.

:rotfl2: :banana:

So we called it a day and headed back to the trailer.

Bama ED

Great TR and thanks for the Key West pics. My DW and I used to go down there quite a bit, but it has been years. Disney is about as close as we get now. The pics brought back a lot of great vacation memories.

j

We hit the KEYS ONCE,,REALLY GOOD FISHING, really enjoy'd the sight see'n . And the beauty is EVERYWHERE ! BUT, we don't party and party/fishing are the only two things to do in the Keys.
Great report Ed, and loved the pics, brings back good memories, :thumbsup2

Fort Wilderness looks so Nice! I tend to like to go when it appears to be busier and the last few times I have simply enjoyed not going to the park but enjoying the Fort! Great Pics!

Thanks Ed for the trip report, especially the Keys. We keep talking about going down there but have yet to fit it into the schedule. Hope there's more to come.

Great trip report! I didn't know there was camping in the Keys...I am going to keep that in mind!

Looks like you had a great time.

Since this is a board about "Camping" at "WDW" I want to tell you some things about camping at Boyd's in Key West. Here is the Boyd's link.http://www.boydscampground.com/ If this takes two threads I'll stretch them over two.

Boyd's is just off mile marker 5 of US 1. It's in the Key West city limits and no more than 10 minutes from Duval Street (the Bourbon Street of Key West) and major activities. There may be a closer campground to KW but I don't know of it. As I said, it's just south of US 1 at mm5 (see the picture below).
boyds.jpg

I read reviews about lots of places to stay beside the state parks. There are other RV parks further up US 1, a KOA campground, an Evergreen RV resort, and more. Like I said, we spent 3 of 4 full days in KW so closer was better for us.

All in all I would recommend Boyd's. The main thing to keep in mind is, as I said earlier, land is scarce in Key West. It's price/demand in play. Sites are small and expensive. Trailers are close together and tents even closer. I reserved a site with power/water (no sewer) and that was a mistake. My popup and Suburban filled the site literally. If I had to do over I would have gotten a full hookup site not only for the hooks (with sewer and cable) but a little bit bigger site.
DSC05974.jpg

DSC05975.jpg

DSC05976.jpg

Even the full hook sites are tight. But it is what it is. Boyds was founded before I was born (founded in 1963) and campers weren't so big in those days. Boyds had a great pool, laundry room, game area, bath houses (we used all these) in a prime location. They can't control the neighbors literally 12 inches from my head when I slept that had the keg, played their cd's, and fed a campfire. They have quiet hours (11pm-7am) but it's very loose (the KW way). Thankfully most of those but-heads left us and the sites on either side of use were empty or nearly so for half our stay (or had considerate neighbors). I'm not a confrontational guy but I do call a spade a spade but I'm also a heavy sleeper.
DSC05982.jpg

DSC05983.jpg

DSC05984.jpg

DSC05985.jpg

DSC05986.jpg

So if any of you want to visit KW I would recommend Boyds but get the full hook-up sites for the additional space (such as it is). I will go back to Boyd's some day.

I want to add that the best beach in KW (IMO) is the Fort Zachory Taylor State Park beach (follow Southard Street). It's a state park (daytime only, no camping) and it costs to get in ($8 per car plus 50 cents per person) but it is SO much better than Smather's Beach (the competing muni beach). It has trees/shade, a lunch/snack shack, fresh water shower, snorkel/lounge chair/umbrella rentals, bathrooms, it's just SO much better. It's part of the old Navy Base (near Truman's Little White House) which was decommissioned and turned over to the state. FYI, it's also further south than the southernmost point publically available. For the record, we did the KW sightseeing on Monday, Bahia Honda State Park (sit on the beach) on Tuesday, the ferry to Dry Tortugas on Wednesday (great snorkelling), Fort Zach on Thursday, and then back to the Fort on Friday.

Okay tomorrow I'll post our pix of our homeward journey stop at the Fort. I did some exploring then that will be the end of this TR.

Bama ED

More pix from Boyd's then I'll post the going-home Fort pix.

DSC05989.jpg

DSC05990.jpg

DSC05992.jpg

DSC05993.jpg

DSC05994.jpg

DSC05995.jpg

DSC05999.jpg

I showed you the sunset pix at Mallory Square (over the Gulf). But Boyd's has a beautiful view of sunrise (over the Atlantic).
DSC06054.jpg

DSC06060.jpg

DSC06063.jpg

DSC06057.jpg

DSC06107.jpg

DSC05981.jpg

Next - back to the Fort.

Bama ED

Love the TR and picts. Keep 'em coming. Sorry that we missed you at the Fort on the 12th of March. We were nearby in the 800 loop. Was a five night stay for us. Started out chilly but warmed up. Friday night (or was it Thursday?) was exciting for us as the arcade by the pool had free games. I noticed it was getting quite full at Disney with the onset of daylight saving time and Spring Break. Although when we were checking in on Tues. we were given the choice between 600 & 800 loops as they "weren't that busy". Still love Fort Wilderness. First thing I did when we got home was book another stay.

On Friday March 18 we snuck quietly out of Boyd's at 7 a.m. and hit the road on US 1. It was probably the easiest take down of the pop-up I've ever had because we left the suitcases in the camper, folding chairs in the back of the 'Burb, just unplug, push the bunks in, and crank it down. It was a lovely drive out of the Keys with not a lot of traffic headed to the mainland.

We made it to the Fort about 3:30 p.m. and the check-in lines again were stacked up and all operating. I had requested 1500 loop and got it (1504) which was happily close to the Comfort Station. It also had the biggest coquina pad I've ever had at a Fort site. A quick set-up (one inch off level but I was lazy - hey it's only for one night).
DSC06148.jpg

A quick walk around the loop revealed that I got the LAST site in 1500. Yep, the rest were full. Lots of kids riding bikes around the loop, playing tetherball at the entrance, etc. It was a good setting.

After the set-up we went to the main pool which was crowded but manageable. The water was warm and I just soaked in the main pool up to my shoulders (did the slide once). The kids were back and forth to the hot tub. Spent almost an hour at the pool. Saw one lifeguard "intervention". My two youngest had gone up the stairs for the slide together. My daughter came down first just fine but some 2-year old cut in front of my son and came down next, hit the water, and didn't get out of the way. Just dog-paddled in place a little stunned. The guard girl hit the button to stop my son and hopped in the water to scoop up the kid. My question is where are the stupid parents not watching a 2-year old. Never saw who got her.

For supper I ordered some Papa John's pizza on-line and then picked it up. It was cheap, filling, hot, and delicious. The PJ store is in the same shopping complex as the Winn Dixie we regularly use when at the Fort. It's on Apopka-Vineland Road about 10 minutes from the Fort entrance. I ducked into WD to get some drinks and something for breakfast, then got the pizza and headed back to the Fort. I know that Trail's End take-out has a pizza but it is reported to not be very good, expensive and limited (I got 2 PJ THE WORKS large pizzas for $25).

We passed on the sing-along which now (after the move to DST) started at 8 p.m. and headed over about 8:30 to catch the night's movie, Secretariat. We were able to snag an end-of-the-line hand shake with Dale this time before he left. The kids had complained about having to go the movie but they were engrossed in the movie the entire time. It was a good flick. Temps were mild at night.

The morning was what I had been waiting for. I love the early morning walks when things are quiet, the sun cuts through the Spanish moss as it rises, it's cool and it's still.
DSC06132.jpg

All in all I walked two circuits of the big interior Fort loop. That is, out of 1500 to the left, down past 1200/1300 to Pioneer Hall then up past 300 and the dog park to 1500 again. Did it twice. Both times I followed the old railroad bed behind 700 and followed both forks back there one on each trip. The original loop was tighter and came into the station where 400 faces 200. The second fork swings out wider and was built to accomodate River Country folks when it opened. Its station is where the golf cart parking is now between 700 exit and Pioneer Hall. The way was clear mostly and fun tramping around in the woods.

Nobody is at Pioneer Hall yet. Hey, it's only 7:30 - don't they know the rope drops at the MK in 90 minutes?
DSC06117.jpg

If they did they just missed a boat going to WL and CR.
DSC06118.jpg

For those interested here are the rate signs from the marina and the Bike Barn.
DSC06142.jpg

DSC06123.jpg

Took some pix over by the Meadow TP (loved the reflection on the water) and also long time readers of this board will understand the signficance of the grill photo from site 617.
DSC06139.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

DSC06133.jpg

Got some good pix of the steam rising off the water near the dog park. Also steam off the woods across the road from 1400. It was a beautiful morning.
DSC06128.jpg

DSC06129.jpg

DSC06125.jpg

My DD wanted to play some checkers in the Meadow TP which we did then it was time to pack up and go home. Good thing is I'll be back in almost 3 weeks to the Fort to watch my 2 boys march down Main Street USA with their high school marching band. So last Saturday wasn't "goodbye" but just "see you soon".

Bama ED

We hit the KEYS ONCE,,REALLY GOOD FISHING, really enjoy'd the sight see'n . And the beauty is EVERYWHERE ! BUT, we don't party and party/fishing are the only two things to do in the Keys.
Great report Ed, and loved the pics, brings back good memories, :thumbsup2

Thanks Frank. I think the Keys is the closest thing to "catching" fish. I'd love to do a full day or two fishing. I'm more of a hiker/camper/backpacker and not a hunter or fisher but I might make an exception here.

Fort Wilderness looks so Nice! I tend to like to go when it appears to be busier and the last few times I have simply enjoyed not going to the park but enjoying the Fort! Great Pics!

You know what, Grump? As we go to WDW year after year we are spending more time at the Fort and fewer days in the parks. While some of that is economic (tix prices keep going up), we're also learning more about what the Fort has to offer.

Thanks Ed for the trip report, especially the Keys. We keep talking about going down there but have yet to fit it into the schedule. Hope there's more to come.

Rapriebe, you need to do it at least once. The Keys are truly an American gem and the culture is relaxed and easy going. It would be an experience I'm sure.

Great trip report! I didn't know there was camping in the Keys...I am going to keep that in mind!

Looks like you had a great time.

Lyndria, oh there's LOTS of camping in the Keys. Florida has four state parks in the Keys that offer camping (Bahia Honda is furthest south, Long Key and Curry Hammock in the middle, and John Pennekamp up near Largo whose campground is currently closed for renovations). Lots of private/KOA options too. In the summer/fall it's easier to get a ressie but the winter/early spring is the PRIME expensive season in south Florida. You should try it. Where else can you park your car on the side of the road and wade out into the warm water with your fins, mask, and snorkel tube?

Love the TR and picts. Keep 'em coming. Sorry that we missed you at the Fort on the 12th of March. We were nearby in the 800 loop. Was a five night stay for us. Started out chilly but warmed up. Friday night (or was it Thursday?) was exciting for us as the arcade by the pool had free games. I noticed it was getting quite full at Disney with the onset of daylight saving time and Spring Break. Although when we were checking in on Tues. we were given the choice between 600 & 800 loops as they "weren't that busy". Still love Fort Wilderness. First thing I did when we got home was book another stay.

RNmom, I wish I had time to loop and look for fellow DISsers. In fact I forgot my green ears sign this trip myself. Free games? Hey I would have been all over that too. I think the locals fill the Fort on these spring weekends and when they go home on Sundays the mid-week Fort is a little more empty and quiet. Wish I was close enough to the Fort to do more frequent trips.

Wow, I just looked at the rates for Boyd's. It sure puts The Fort into perspective.

Litch, yes it is what it is. KW in general and Boyds in particular could be a lesson in Economics for the ol' "Supply & Demand" curve.

dry tortugas/fort jefferson has gotta be some of the best diving in the country. lover it down there

Gooftroop, several great stories from snorkelling at Tortugas. I have several pictures where the water color near the beaches was ABSOLUTELY beautiful. Came across an old anchor (6 ft long) with chain all encrusted with growth. It was gorgeous.

It was certainly a memorable trip.

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter