Just back- 9/17-9/20- First trip for WDW vet- food/ride reviews & general comments

Linkura

DIS Veteran
Sorry for the delay- I'm still nursing a cold I got during the trip!

This was a first-time trip for both my husband and me- just the two of us. I'd been to WDW 10+ times before, and my husband went to WDW one time last year with me. He also went to Tokyo Disneyland once as a kid.

We arrived at DLR around 12:30 PM Sunday (made great timing- our flight landed ~10:30 at LAX!), and we flew out Thursday morning. No park time on Thursday so I didn't include it in the title.

NOTE: I am often pessimistic in my writing. I promise, though, I had a good time!!

I'm going to go through different aspects of the trip one by one with thoughts. If you don't want to see reviews of every restaurant/ride, then skip to the end.

TRANSPORTATION:
We used Lansky to get to/from LAX and our hotel. They were fantastic- prompt (early!), friendly, and helpful. They also drove safely as well. Would 100% recommend them.

HOTEL:
Hyatt House. We were very pleased with our stay. We had a King room and it was very spacious and clean. The room decor is beautiful and modern (the carpet in the hallways is SUPER UGLY though- what were they thinking?!). They met all of our requests (high floor, quiet, early check-in). The room was quiet except for some occasional kids running through the halls- can't be helped, and it wasn't frequent. We were very grateful for the microwave and fridge- both were large and worked great.

We thought the walk was fine, but if you're the type of person to go to and from the parks multiple times in a day, the walk might get tiring. For our touring style, it was fine. We really liked that there was a Walgreens right there (and a CVS across the street if you prefer). The Walgreens prices were insane, but we still saved a lot of money on getting >3 oz liquid items we needed there as opposed to paying for checked luggage. There's also a Starbucks, and they are currently building a Blaze Pizza!

Free breakfast was serviceable. I thought the bacon and sausage were good, and the potatoes were decent. The pancakes/French toast were awful though, and my husband thought the eggs were pretty meh. They do have plenty of cereal and fruit options, plus (watery) oatmeal and various breads, water, juices, coffee, etc. For free, it was fine and kept us full until lunch.

Overall, would definitely recommend Hyatt House. Again, only issue is it's obviously not across the street, but that wasn't a big problem for us. It was perfect as a hotel for an adult couple, and it'd be great for families too. We paid $150+tax per night, and I thought it was a very good value.

FOOD:
In-park (Note: We didn't eat anything at DCA, so this is all DL!)
Rancho del Zocalo: I had the chicken and my husband had the red chile enchiladas. It was pretty good for fast-food Mexican, though obviously not as good as a good sit down place. The portions are pretty big too.

Plaza Inn: We split the fried chicken meal. The chicken was great and we liked the sides too (though the biscuit was only ok). Plenty of food for the two of us. My only issue was that they opened several minutes later than the 12PM opening time, though we were served quickly once we got in.

Jolly Holiday: We had the combo (grilled cheese and tomato soup), a Matterhorn Macaroon, and a chocolate croissant. I liked the grilled cheese, but wasn't a huge fan of the soup. My husband liked the soup though, so it worked out! The Matterhorn Macaroon is delicious and very large for only $2.99. The chocolate croissant was your standard Disney chocolate croissant. though perhaps a slightly higher quality than usual. They let us and other customers order the lunch/dinner sandwiches at 10AM despite the menu claiming they were only after 10:30AM- probably because they didn't even open until 10AM that day!

Café Orleans: We shared the pomme frites, the gumbo, and the Monte Cristo. The pomme frites were nothing special, and we left more than half of them... to make room for everything else! The gumbo was delicious, and the Monte Cristo- our first time having it- was incredible. My husband was SUPER skeptical of the Monte Cristo, but he loved it as much as I did!

Hungry Bear: We only stopped here to try the Milk and Honey Funnel Cake. This was the first funnel cake either of us had ever had, and we thought it was great. It was too much for both of us to finish, though!

Churros: Got ours in Frontierland. Hot and fresh. My husband found that he doesn't really like churros that much though (it was his first ever). :(

Mickey Pretzel at Coke Corner: Meh.

Caramel Apple at Candy Palace: Your standard Disney caramel apple.

Mickey Bar: Still delicious, but expensive. Can't believe they're almost $5 now.

Dole Whip: Still delicious.

DTD:
La Brea Bakery: We needed something on the way out of the park our first night, and our way to Jolly Holiday was blocked by the parade, so we stopped here. I had the turkey mozzarella Panini, and my husband had the sausage pizza. It was fine, but a bit overpriced. Earl of Sandwich would have been cheaper, but it's all the way on the other side of DTD.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express: We had beignets for the first time here, and they were delicious!

DLR HOTELS:
Napa Rose: We did the chef's counter, already wrote about our experience in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/napa-rose-chefs-counter-a-little-disappointment.3635989/ Summary: Great food for the most part, but almost everything we got was off-the-menu, NOT specially made for us. It was basically a randomization of the main menu. Some of the stuff we got we never would have ordered ourselves, for a reason.

OFFSITE:
Pizza Press: Delicious, and the employees were friendly and helpful. We ate half of our pizzas for lunch, and then had the other half for dinner! Great deal for $10 per pizza.

DISNEYLAND PARK RIDE COMMENTS:

Splash Mountain: It was the very first ride we went on when we arrived Sunday afternoon, after eating lunch at Rancho. We did single rider, and ended up riding together after about a 15 minute wait (standby posted at 45). Not bad. We also ended up in the front, which is rare for Single Rider! Probably because the rest of our log was two little girls with their moms. :) I was worried about being in front, but it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, though my backpack did get wet from putting it on the floor of the log. It's definitely wetter than WDW Splash though, and the drops are more fun. The dark ride portions of the ride were super disappointing, unfortunately. Many of the animatronics had no lighting whatsoever on them- either they couldn't be arsed to change the bulbs, or they were trying to hide broken animatronics. It was really sad. I definitely prefer the WDW version, which I usually ride twice a day per MK day; this, we only rode the one time. DL's version is a water ride with some animatronics; WDW's version is a dark ride combined with a water ride.

Pooh: About the same as Disney World, and not very good. We only went on it due to the short wait and because we just wanted to have that area of the park done and over with so we wouldn't have to brave the insane NOS crowds to get there again. Travesty that this replaced Country Bear Jamboree/Mr. Toad in WDW.

Indy: We also did Single Rider for this. Standby was posted at 30, and we waited about that for Single Rider (which we were warned of by the CM, at least). We didn't get to ride together on this one, but not a big deal. I wasn't too impressed by this one; not a whole lot going on other than riding through various setpieces, and too bumpy. But it's certainly a heck of a lot better than Dinosaur at AK. My husband liked it more than I did, but to be fair, he got the front row spot with the wheel! We were going to ride this one again during the Halloween Party, but it broke down right before we got on! They claimed someone lost something on the ride- so they decided to shut down the whole ride instead of just telling the person tough noogies, we'll look for it after park close, which is absurd to me. Most people were waiting for it to get back up, but we needed to get a spot for the parade, so we left.

Jungle Cruise: About the same as the WDW version. My husband never went on the WDW version, and he was amused and baffled by the silliness. The day we planned to go on it, it was down for almost the entire day. We ended up going by it on a lark on our way to dinner and it was up. Despite both the app and the board at the front of the park saying it was down. More on that kind of stuff later.

Enchanted Tiki Room: I hadn't been on this even at WDW since before the New Management birds burned to death. It was a cute little break.

Big Thunder: Mostly the same as WDW, but for some reason I don't think I liked it as much as WDW's. No idea why. It's still a good ride though. Went on it twice.

Haunted Mansion Holiday: The line was absurd for this one- we even had a bit of a wait with FP. As many have posted here, not worth the standby wait, and barely worth the FP wait. Definitely feels like the overlay that it is. Doesn't do the movie justice, in my opinion.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Y'all are probably going to hate us for this... but we think this version is a little bloated. We're used to the WDW version, which is basically the "Greatest Hits" version of this ride. Other than the part at the end with the pirates on the cannons, which I think is a worthy part of the ride that should be in the WDW version, I think WDW's version took out all of the fat. Also, the wait for this ride was ridiculous most of the time. I think a lot of people planned on doing HMH, but chickened out due to the high wait times. So they thought, hey, let's do POTC instead, it's right nearby. And hence there were often 40+ minute waits for POTC during our trip. We didn't want to wait more than 20, so we ended up using a ride breakdown FP from when Space Mountain broke down (if you're in line/on a ride when it breaks, they give you FPs than can be used for non-FP rides). The CM seemed to think we were crazy for using it on POTC, but it worked for us.

Snow White's Scary Adventures: Y'all are probably going to think we are COMPLETELY insane, but both my husband and I LOVED this ride. I think it's the unexpectedness of it. Snow White is barely in the ride; The Evil Queen is the star. It's fast, it's dark, and before you know it, it's over. I can see little kids being really upset at this one. And I think that's why we loved it. We rode it every day of the trip because of the short line. It was our second favorite ride in DLR!

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: This was my favorite ride at WDW as a little kid, before Splash Mountain came on the scene. It hasn't aged so well, but again, this is another insane ride just like Snow White. Who thought these rides would be a good idea for a family theme park?! I don't know, but God bless them. We went on this twice.

Pinocchio's Daring Journey: I can't believe this ride is decades younger than Snow White, because it feels decades older. It even broke down on our first attempt to ride it, so we had to leave the line. Definitely the worst of the DL dark rides; it spends way too much time on Pleasure Island, when that makes up such a small percentage of the actual film.

Peter Pan's Flight: Because we had a pretty free plan after the second day, we did this first thing on our EMM day and waited 5-10 minutes. I can't believe people wait 40+ minutes for this in the hot sun. At least it has FP+ at WDW (and I much prefer the WDW version anyway- this one seems much more disjointed to me). I did like the dips the ride did, though; it doesn't do that at WDW, so I really wasn't expecting them.

Alice in Wonderland: This was cute, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would for some reason. Maybe it's because a good portion of the ride is outdoors with no scenery whatsoever. They also didn't devote as much of the ride/animatronics to the Unbirthday Party as I think they should have. We rode this first thing one morning; otherwise, the line was too long for us to bother riding again.

Mad Tea Party: This seemed a bit faster and wilder than the WDW version, though I could just be imagining things.

Casey Jr: We ended up riding in the caboose, backwards. It was cute and I'm glad we didn't have to ride in the cages. I think they really should have more than one train riding at once, though. We thought about doing the Canal Boats, but the line was always crazy based on the capacity. On the morning we tried to, they started them about a half hour late and with only one boat. So there was a huge backup, even when they added more boats. Ugh.

It's a Small World: Cute, and I actually kind of liked most of the Disney character additions. The façade is gorgeous. My husband still hates this ride and says he is not riding it again.

Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin: A complete mess. Has almost nothing to do with the (awesome) film, and despite not really trying to spin the vehicle, it was almost always facing the wrong direction. We had to crane our heads all the time to even see anything.

Gadget's Go Coaster: Barnstormer without the uncomfortable seats. So, not bad for no wait like we had (went right when Toontown opened), but not worth any real sort of wait.

Star Tours: I didn't go on this because it makes me sick, but I stayed with my husband in the queue. He said he didn't like it as much as when he rode it at WDW because of the scenes he got. At WDW, his vehicle ran over Jar Jar Binks, which he loved.

Space Mountain (Ghost Galaxy): By far the best ride at DLR. This ride is phenomenal. When I last rode Space Mountain at WDW, knowing I'd be going on a trip to DLR soon, I told myself that this ride was going to be amazing if it was as smooth as everyone says it is- the WDW version is just way too jerky. And it is smooth like butter. We absolutely loved it, and rode it daily- twice on our last day due to the lack of lines during the Halloween Party.

Railroad: I didn't tell my husband about the Primeval World diorama. Boy was he surprised. I thought they did a great job with it too. Must have spruced it up a bit during the downtime.

Monorail: We were able to ride in the tail, and it was a nice, peaceful ride to DTD, where we watched a movie at the nearby theater.

DCA RIDE COMMENTS:
Toy Story Mania: This reminded me why I didn't like it at WDW, since it's identical and all. The abrupt spins are annoying, and the shooting mechanism is tiring. Once again, I had a much higher accuracy than my husband, but his score was much higher. I'll try to remember to skip this one next time.

California Screamin': I consider this a sister ride to Rock N Roller Coaster, so I'm going to compare it to that. CS is much jerkier; my glasses actually slid down my nose a little on the loop, which never happens at RNRC. I like that it's much longer, but it was too jerky for me to enjoy. RNRC is super smooth and has more loops.

Little Mermaid: Same thing as WDW. It's not an amazing ride, but I still enjoy it, mostly due to the music.

Radiator Springs Racers: I can see why this ride is so popular. I HATE the Cars franchise, so it had that hurdle to get over for me. But it really is a well-designed ride. It's smooth and the animatronics are great. The "race" section was fun.

Flik's Flyers/Francis's Ladybug Boogie: Went on these out of curiosity. There's a reason there's no line for them. Flik's is at least smooth, but Francis's... oh my god. It's supposed to be liked Mad Tea Party, but the turntables are MUCH rougher. I couldn't wait to get off, and it was a short ride. AVOID.

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Obviously not a ride, but still, an attraction. It was cute to go through. The highlight was Chip and Dale were managing the radios and they cajoled us into participating because the little kid on the other end didn't have anyone to talk to. They were adorable.

HALLOWEEN PARTY:
I wrote a lot about this in the official 2017 Halloween Party thread. We went to the first party, and it was surprisingly not very crowded at all. Sure, they raised the ticket price, but they DEFINITELY decreased the number of tickets sold. It was fantastic for that alone. Space Mountain was a walk on. We found a nice spot on the Hub for the parade at 8:15, and could have gone even later if we picked a less prime spot. Other than one of the parade floats breaking down and causing the parade to come to a standstill (HUGE kudos to the performers who kept going despite not going anywhere for a half hour), and the fireworks to be 20 minutes late, it was pretty good overall. We did not do any characters or treat trails, as the lines were nutso. More rides for us. One highlight was seeing Donald/Goofy/Pluto/Chip/Dale on the Tom Sawyer raft dancing to Halloween tunes on the river with themed costumes- don't miss it, it's adorable. They also let us in Toontown 14 seconds before the Pre-Party closed (the CM was timinig it) to let us take a look inside. They let us stay longer than 14 seconds as there were plenty of people still in lines. ;)

GENERAL PARK NOTES/THOUGHTS:
+We really liked how compact the park is, particularly DL. And of course, loved how the parks are literally right across from each other. We decided to do DCA a day earlier than planned and it was literally no problem at all with Hoppers.

+Maxpass worked great. I much prefer FP+ as it's easier to game, and it also lets you pick earlier/later times as opposed to just one time with MP, but MP still allowed us to get a ton done fast.

+Really enjoyed the roaming characters.

+We love the MINE seagulls at the Nemo subs ride. The ride was down for most of our trip (and we had no interest in the ride itself anyway), but they were still running the seagulls. My husband is a huge fan and he loved it.

+Weather was gorgeous. Temps were great, no rain, and mostly importantly, NO HUMIDITY!

-The crowds were sometimes borderline unbearable, particularly in NOS I don't believe we had particularly high crowd days, either. I can't even imagine how bad DL is on high crowd days, and how bad it will be when SWL opens. DCA is a bit more open, built much like the WDW parks, and can handle the crowds better. I don't know what they were thinking building SWL inside of DL Park instead of DCA or a third gate, other than they didn't want to pay for more land. I think they're going to regret it.

-Don't do Disneyland Park EMM on 10AM open days. Fantasyland was an absolute zoo. I'd imagine on 8AM and even 9AM open days, it's much better. But on the 10AM open/9AM EMM day we went, it was like the entire park was crammed into Fantasyland, which didn't even have all the rides open. It was awful.

-Park management really seemed like amateur hour compared to WDW. That's the simplest way to put it, but here's why I think that:

Posted times on the app and at the ride entrances varied wildly from the actual (and yes, I'd completely exit out of the app and then back in on the former), and there were often huge delays when showing a broken down ride as back up again on the app and on the hub boards. EXTREMELY frustrating considering the majority of attractions don't have FP. In fact, if you are tracking wait times before your trip like I did, I wouldn't bother doing it anymore. If someone told me that they just put a bunch of numbers on a dart board, and whatever numbers the darts would hit would be the posted wait time, I might just believe you. The lack of FP for many rides didn't bother me; it was the fact that the tools they give you are completely unreliable. As a planner-type personality, it ticked me off.

Photopass would have been a giant waste of money if it didn't come included with MP. There were very few photographers and locations compared to WDW, and they always had ridiculous lines.

Mobile & wifi coverage in the park was mostly terrible. At some places, I couldn't even get cellular coverage, let alone wifi. I mean, I can understand when you're inside a ride building like with Indy, but just walking around Fantasyland, for example, there were significant dead zones.

While there were a few good ones we encountered (security CMs were particularly friendly, as was the guy managing the Indy SR line), CMs were not nearly as friendly as WDW. One general example is that CMs at WDW often tell you to have a nice day or something when exiting the park. The DL CMs managing the exits just don't care to say anything at all. Another specific example is a CM was insisting that she put my Halloween Party wristband on my disabled left wrist (that has a large brace on it). I had to be firm with her that, no, I am disabled, and I would prefer that it go on my other wrist instead.

Rides and restaurants would open late without explanation (see above for more detail).

Ride breakdowns. Enough has been said on this site without going into any more detail here.

For all the "effort" DLR has been putting into trying to attract tourists as opposed to locals, they have a long way to go to really make it feel like a true tourist destination like WDW.

The trip was 3.5 park days, but we honestly ran out of stuff to do that we hadn't already done and wanted to do by Tuesday PM. We ended up watching a movie at DTD (Wind River, pretty good, but don't bring the kids) Tuesday afternoon before dinner. We didn't even go to the park on Wednesday until the party. Wednesday was entirely rerides and the parade/fireworks. Our trip definitely felt a day too long.

Overall, we are glad we went to DLR, and we had fun overall, but we don't think we'll be going back anytime soon. Certainly not considering WDW is half the distance from us. My husband isn't as much of a WDW nut as I am, but even he said he'd be willing to go back to WDW, but wouldn't want to go back to DLR. I mean, there's certainly a possibility we'd go back SOMEDAY, when there's a lot of new offerings, but in the next 10 years or so... almost certainly not.

You tried a lot of the food/snacks that are on my list to try on our upcoming trip. Thanks for the reviews!

Excellent review. I was upset at the random restaurant and ride openings as well. We spent our magic morning on a day that most of fantasy land wasn't even open. Never got to ride Peter Pan our whole trip. Our only chance was that magic morning and no way I was going to wait in a 1 hour line with a ride that wasn't even open yet and waste that morning.

Disneyland is very geared towards locals in my opinion. I didn't notice any changes to "lure" tourists since we visited 2 years ago. In fact, based on the insane evening crowds, I would say they are doing a rather excellent job of increasing their local crowd as the years go by even more.

We live a 9 hour drive from Disneyland, so it makes more sense to drive there, but by the time I calculated the cost of food (which would have been free at WDW) and tickets to all WDW parks, plus a longer WDW stay, plus flights, WDW with more days and flying still would have cost us about the same as a shorter stay and driving to DL! What?!? I was surprised. We are going to WDW next year because it is a different experience and more "bang" for our buck...plus cheaper (per day.)

Did you do GOTG? That was hands down our favorite queue and ride of DCA and obviously very different from WDW.

Glad to hear that, overall, you and your husband enjoyed your trip. Obviously, as a local, my pov on the parks is different. My friends and I really appreciate the non-tourist attraction feel of the parks. DLR really feels like home to us. Not that Disney shouldn't try to attract non-local visitors, but that 'small town feel' (don't really know how else to describe it) is exactly what makes the parks special to us and is why we don't really enjoy our trips to WDW as much. CMs are almost always friendly to us and smile or say something nice, even at the turnstiles when we exit. A CM at CCR commented to us the other day that she hadn't seen us in a while and asked how we were doing. DLR is like our Disney version of Mayberry. But whichever park you like best, it's just good to know that every Disney fan can find somewhere that feels like a good fit. And that's something that makes Disney very special, indeed.

Last edited:
Thank you for the review! We are tentatively planning our first visit to Disneyland for next summer, and it's helpful to read about it from a WDW vet's perspective so I can be prepared for the differences.

I forgot two things in my massive post:

1. We rode Dumbo. I had mentioned this in another post here somewhere, but this had the most incompetent, slowest CMs of any ride- maybe I was trying to block it out when I forgot to mention it here. I mean, there ride's fine, it's Dumbo. But these CMs were so slow they made the sloths from Zootopia look fast. Every cycle of a 2 minute ride took well over 5 minutes (honestly felt more like 10 but the actual time was probably somewhere in the middle) for no reason whatsoever. There was barely a line but it still took 20+ minutes to get on at park open right after we did Alice. WDW has the twin Dumbos, but they're also a lot faster and more efficient. Honestly, that was a trend at DL. A lot of the CMs (not all- many were very good at their jobs, fast and efficient) just didn't seem to care and were going through the motions- slowly. The CMs at WDW are generally more enthusiastic and more efficient.

So yeah, if you want to ride Dumbo- do it at park open unless you're doing PP. Though I tracked and tracked the wait times before my trip, and Alice seemed to build faster than Dumbo, it turns out it didn't factor in how slow they operate Dumbo. If we did it again, we would have done Dumbo at RD and Alice second.

2. I forgot to thank everyone here for all of their help planning this trip. We had a very successful trip and couldn't have done it without your input. Thank you so much!!

Excellent review. I was upset at the random restaurant and ride openings as well. We spent our magic morning on a day that most of fantasy land wasn't even open. Never got to ride Peter Pan our whole trip. Our only chance was that magic morning and no way I was going to wait in a 1 hour line with a ride that wasn't even open yet and waste that morning.

Did you do GOTG? That was hands down our favorite queue and ride of DCA and obviously very different from WDW.

We ended up literally running to PP- that's how we got such a short wait. And it was open right away.

No, we did not. I love ToT, but I can't handle it anymore, so there was no way I was going to ride GOTG. My husband loves ToT, but neither of us are GOTG fans at all, so we skipped it. I made sure to ask him if he was interested in riding anyway, but he wasn't.

@Linkura - did you use a touring plan for Disneyland? And if so, which one? I used a combo of Touring Plans, easyWDW, and Kenny the Pirate to plan our days at WDW this year, and we did pretty well avoiding lines. I know TP and KtP both have DLR plans too, but have no idea how good they are.

@Linkura - did you use a touring plan for Disneyland? And if so, which one? I used a combo of Touring Plans, easyWDW, and Kenny the Pirate to plan our days at WDW this year, and we did pretty well avoiding lines. I know TP and KtP both have DLR plans too, but have no idea how good they are.
Not really. I just looked at various sites, including this board, Disneyland Daily, and DisneyTouristBlog, to build up a good sense of a touring plan. Then I asked this board to critique my plan and made tweaks from there. My final plan wasn't nearly as detailed as my WDW plans due to the additional uncertainty (can't pick FP ahead of time, ride breakdowns, crowd uncertainties, etc), but it worked out very well.

Happy to share if you'd like. ;)

Here was my final game plan. We actually did a lot better than it. I can go into more detail on what actually happened later. I'm still nursing that cold so I'll come back later with that.

Due to DLR's unpredictability, I mainly just had goals for each day for FP rides, SR lines, and standby lines (note that the order of the rides on each list indicates priority, with the ones to go for first up top), plus a couple ADRs, ideas for counter-service snacks/meals, and the Halloween Party. My prior iterations were actually a lot more detailed, but as I continued to plan, I realized it was unrealistic to have minute-by-minute or even hour-by-hour plans that are possible at WDW.

9/17 Sun
Open until 11PM (DL), 10PM (DCA)
Fireworks 9:30 PM

FP:
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Single Rider:
Indiana Jones Adventure
Splash Mountain

Regular:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Disneyland Railroad

9/18 Mon
10AM RD- Open until 9PM (DL), 8PM (DCA)
Toontown open 11AM
Dinner: Café Orleans, 5:30 PM

FP:
Ghost Galaxy
Star Tours
anything missed previous day

Regular:
Alice in Wonderland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Dumbo
Meet Mickey & Minnie
Gadget's Go Coaster
Mad Tea Party
It's a Small World
Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough
anything missed previous day

9/19 Tues
9AM EMH- Open until 9PM (DL), 8PM (DCA)
Toontown open 11AM
Dinner: Napa Rose Chef's Counter, 5:30 PM

FP:
Radiator Springs Racers (SR available)
Toy Story Mania
California Screamin' (SR available)
anything missed previous days/rerides

Regular:
The Little Mermaid
anything missed previous days/rerides

-For EMH, reride favorites from previous days in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. Rest of DL/DCA opens 10AM. Head over to DCA when done with DL missed or rerides

9/20 Wed
8AM RD (9AM DCA)- Open until 11PM (DL), 8PM (DCA)
Toontown open 9AM
Mickey's Halloween Party: 6PM-11PM
Parade: 8:40PM, 10:20PM
Fireworks: 9:30PM

Super Low Priority: Jungle Cruise, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Enchanted Tiki Room, Casey Jr, Storybookland Canal Boats

Snacks: Funnel Cake & Blueberry Pie @ Hungry Bear, Dole Whip @ Tiki Juice Bar, Matterhorn Macaroon @ Jolly Holiday, Churros, Beignets @ Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express

Meals: Plaza Inn, Rancho del Zocalo/Cucina Cucamonga, French Market, Jolly Holiday

One thing to note about CMs who may have seemed slow, disinterested, inefficient, etc., is that your visit happened right around the same time as the fall hiring season. Whenever the students start/return to college around the parks, you'll see lots of new hires (of all ages). So what might look like incompetence to you may actually be new or relatively new recruits getting used to their jobs, being overwhelmed sometimes, and trying not to make mistakes. This happens every fall when school starts and every summer when the graduates leave.

We were there the exact same dates as you , left on the 21st , attended that first Halloween party on the 20th and are also WDW vets. I could have written your reviews verbatim. We even had the exact same meal at Cafe Orleans. Overall we found the cs food slightly better at DLR than WDW and most of the attractions that are in both parks are a bit better at DLR. We were very disappointed in almost every interaction we had with guest services and cm' s however. We visited WDW for 3 days after DLR before heading home and the helpfulness and friendliness of the cm's at WDW was head and shoulders over DLR. I know this isn't everyones experience but it was definitely ours and we won't be returning to DLR anytime soon because of it. P.S.- did you happen to see a grown woman dressed as Mary Poppins at the party? That was me :)

One thing to note about CMs who may have seemed slow, disinterested, inefficient, etc., is that your visit happened right around the same time as the fall hiring season. Whenever the students start/return to college around the parks, you'll see lots of new hires (of all ages). So what might look like incompetence to you may actually be new or relatively new recruits getting used to their jobs, being overwhelmed sometimes, and trying not to make mistakes. This happens every fall when school starts and every summer when the graduates leave.

Also, Disneyland cut staff across the board until Sept 30. So you had new trainees and probably much less staff than should be running the parks for this time of year. Halloween has really gotten busy the past few years and it's unfortunate that Disneyland decided to make these cuts and overwork their CMs. The CMs were visibly miserable. The crowds were crazy when we went! Much busier than most summer days!

We were there the exact same dates as you , left on the 21st , attended that first Halloween party on the 20th and are also WDW vets. I could have written your reviews verbatim. We even had the exact same meal at Cafe Orleans. Overall we found the cs food slightly better at DLR than WDW and most of the attractions that are in both parks are a bit better at DLR. We were very disappointed in almost every interaction we had with guest services and cm' s however. We visited WDW for 3 days after DLR before heading home and the helpfulness and friendliness of the cm's at WDW was head and shoulders over DLR. I know this isn't everyones experience but it was definitely ours and we won't be returning to DLR anytime soon because of it. P.S.- did you happen to see a grown woman dressed as Mary Poppins at the party? That was me :)
Yes, the CS food is pretty good at DLR. That's one reason why we didn't have many ADRs. I don't have nearly as much of it at WDW, though I do have a soft spot for the chicken breast nuggets and Mickey waffles. ;)

I think Space Mountain was the only ride IMO that was substantially better than its direct counterpart at WDW. Unless you want to compare RSR and TT- I mean, there's no contest there that RSR is way better.

I don't specifically remember seeing you. There were so many people there with a ton of great costumes! That was one of the best parts of the party.

Ok, so here's, to the best of my memory, which is surprisingly not great right now on the exact order of things, what we actually did on each day:

Sun 9/18
Arrived in park around 12:30PM, got MP and immediately got FP for HMH for 3:10
Lunch at Rancho del Zocalo
Splash Mountain Single Rider
Indy Single Rider
Got FP for BTMRR, used it immediately, then got FP for Space Mountain for 6:40
Got a churro
These may be slightly out of order here in parenthesis:
(Pooh
Got milk and honey funnel cake
Got FP for Roger Rabbit
HMH
Attempted to ride Pinocchio and failed because it went down while we were in line
Rode Snow White and loved it because we're crazy
Mr. Toad
Mad Tea Party
Got FP for Star Tours
Roger Rabbit)
Star Tours
Space Mountain
Left and got food at La Brea Bakery on the way back to hotel

We wanted to do POTC this day and get most of that half of the park over with but the line was terrible all day.

Mon 9/19
Arrived ~9:15 for RD
Finagled around Maxpass to get a later FP for Space Mountain (didn't want one for super early due to plan)
Alice in Wonderland
Dumbo (definitely switch these two per my report)
Pinocchio
Waited for Toontown to open for 10 minutes. Note that it is SO WORTH IT to RD Toontown, ESPECIALLY if you have little kids. Mickey and Minnie come to the gate to greet everyone, and Mickey picks two of the little kids at the front and holds their hands and they walk to his house. ADORABLE.
Said hi to Mickey and Minnie
Gadget's Go Coaster
Space Mountain was down and we got an anytime FP. We ended up booking an FP for RSR.
It's a Small World
RD'd lunch at Plaza Inn
Booked an FP for TSMM around this time.
Space Mountain was up! We go back and we're near the front of the line andddddddddddddd it's down again. We get an anytime FP for any ride in DL Park except Peter Pan. Yippee!
Getting sick of our crummy luck, we hightailed it over to DCA.
TSMM
Immediate FP for CS
Got another FP for Space Mountain
Mermaid
Walked around the park and did the Challenge Trail
RSR
Flik's Flyers
Francis's Ladybug Boogie (DON'T RIDE THIS)
Back to DLR.
Space Mountain
Used our anything FP for POTC
Dinner at Cafe Orleans at 5:30 (we were seated probably 5:15 as we go there earlier)
Railroad Grand Circle Tour from Main Street (we got lucky, there was no line and a train just pulled up)
Left

Tues 9/20
Arrived ~8:15 for MM RD
Finagled around Maxpass to get a later FP for Space Mountain (didn't want one for super early due to plan)
Peter Pan's Flight
Attempted to ride Canal Boats and Casey Jr but neither of them were up so screw us
Snow White
Castle Walkthrough (cute way to kill time)
Canal Boats were up but there was a huge line and only one boat running, Casey Jr was still down and seemed to be having issues.
Early lunch at Jolly Holiday
Attempted to ride Jungle Cruise, doooown
BTMRR
Casey Jr finally up so rode it (still noted as down in the app of course)
Dole Whip
Tiki Room
Jungle Cruise STILL DOWN
Space Mountain
Monorail to DTD
Had beignets at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express, walked around DTD, watched a movie at 1:50 (Wind River)
Walked around DTD some more, headed back in the park to see if they had the NBC wreath (sold out at DTD, and of course nowhere to be found in the park)
Noticed Jungle Cruise was back up (again, still noted as down in the app and on the hub board) and rode it!
Dinner at 5:30 at Napa Rose Chef's Counter
Left

Wed 9/21
I was tired and a little over the crowds and my issues with DLR (was also obviously getting the start of this cold), so we relaxed in the hotel room, walked to Pizza Press and got lunch/dinner instead of really doing anything this morning/afternoon.
Went to the Halloween Party around 6 (note the line to get in was pretty slow and they only had a few turnstiles open at this time).
Space Mountain
Visited the MINE seagulls
Checked out Toontown
Snow White
Mr. Toad
Attempted to do BTMRR but it was down
Checked out the adorable characters on the TSI Raft (Donald, Goofy, Pluto, chipmunks)
Attempted to do Indy but it broke down right before we got on
Got parade spot, husband held while I got him a pretzel and me a caramel apple
Parade
Fireworks
Space Mountain
Left

:)

Great feedback. We were just there end of August so great hearing other people's thoughts. We've been to WDW once too so if course you compare.
We missed Haunted Mansion but have heard lines are crazy with Halloween update. Sorry you were disappointed.

Interestingly you had such bad crowds. You would think September would be quiet. Crowds were ok end of August but we also had a heat wave. Glad that was over for you.

For Big Thunder some say it's smoother at DL. I don't remember it enough myself.

Love your description of the Fantasyland dark rides. I love those.

California Screamin': I consider this a sister ride to Rock N Roller Coaster, so I'm going to compare it to that. CS is much jerkier; my glasses actually slid down my nose a little on the loop, which never happens at RNRC. I like that it's much longer, but it was too jerky for me to enjoy. RNRC is super smooth and has more loops.

This is funny to me, because I feel the exact opposite. CS is much smoother and RNRC is way too jerky for me. I can ride CS over and over, where as RNRC is once and done. My head hurts after that one.

Interestingly you had such bad crowds. You would think September would be quiet. Crowds were ok end of August but we also had a heat wave. Glad that was over for you.
I think it was because Halloweentime started that weekend, plus the park being open fewer hours.

This is funny to me, because I feel the exact opposite. CS is much smoother and RNRC is way too jerky for me. I can ride CS over and over, where as RNRC is once and done. My head hurts after that one.
Weird!!! I may also feel that way because RNRC is so short, it doesn't have a chance to mess me up as much!

We were there a few years ago for DLR's 60th and Agree with a lot of your review. I LOVED Space Mountain at DLR so so so much. And RSR lives up to the hyper. I also agree that BTMR lacked something at DLR. we ride it multiple times at WDW but after one ride at DLR, nobody was interested in riding it again. Something about WDW's version makes it so much more fun and we always get off laughing.

Also, DLR was a ton of fun - but lacks that big vacation feel. I like the feel that there is always so much to do at WDW. While we would have been happy with more DLR park days, there wasn't the same feeling.

But the weather...oh how wonderful the weather in California is!!

Interesting review. We were there 9/13-9/15 with some similar experiences. We also stayed at the Hyatt House. We had a 2 bedroom suite- king bed in one room, bunk beds and sofa bed for the kids and my mom in the other- for about $160/night which was a good rate. We appreciated the Walgreens and the breakfast.

I always thing it's so fascinating the different viewpoints people have on things. My DH's family (BIL, SIL, three nephews, FIL and MIL) came out this summer to visit us, and we went to DLR. they are WDW vets, and my SIL is just a huge Disney fan. They absolutely loved the parks and are already planning a return visit. My BIL said he'd much rather go to DLR than WDW. I was so nervous they would be disappointed but they loved just about everything.

I think it's great that there's something for everyone! Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

PS- those ladybugs are a fav of my family's! We think they are a riot and laugh hysterically the entire ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter