Just a room or room with a kitchen?

mdmbfly

Mouseketeer
I am trying to plan a trip for my family (me, hubby, mom, dad and 2 small children). in your opinion would we better off to stay in someplace like the All-Star and buy our meals or should I spend more on a room with kitchen, etc. and save $ by cooking? We are trying to save money obviously but not sure which makes more sense. Any help is appreciated.

If your opinion is w/kitchen...can you recommend?

hi mdmbfly: welcome to the board. it will really depend on what your priorities are. a value resort will provide you with a room and little else. some people will either pack a type of cooler or buy a cheap styrofoam one to store some snacks/drinks. a home-away-from home type of resort on site (old key west, boardwalk villas, disney institute, or villas at wilderness lodge) will cost quite a bit more than the value resort. in the smaller of these units will be a small refrigerator, coffee pot, and microwave. the 1br units and up will have more of a full sized kitchen. now the 3 dvc properties (okw, bwv, and vwl) will have studios that start at about 360 sq. ft vs. the 240ish sq. ft. in the all stars. the 3 dvc properties would equate with the room sizes in a deluxe category resort. you may want to check what prices/discounts are available for your vacation time.

Check out Holiday Inn Family Suites (HIFS). We went in Septmber with 3 kids (1-1/2, 3-1/2 and 11) and HIFS was perfect for us. We had a microwave and small fridge in the room and that was perfect for our beverages and nightly popcorn! They have a free breakfast buffet each morning that is very good, the pool is a zero depth entry pool (GREAT for little ones), and the whole atmosphere of the hotel is kid/family oriented. They have two bedrooms so you can put the kids to bed and still relax in the living room area before going to bed. I highly recommend it for families with children.

As you can see, we've stayed there 3 times and love it! I don't think the rates are high considering you get a bedroom with a double bed and bunk beds, a living room with a murphy double bed, a bathroom (of course :) ) and a kitchen with microwave, dishwasher and all else you need. Oh yes, don't forget....Maid Service to boot!!
My children loved it...Fort wilderness is beautiful with alot to do.
I know that staying in the cabins with the kitchens saved us alot...and, we still ate our dinners out.
Check into all the resorts....there's plenty of choices :D

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=#006600>Fort Wilderness Home - April '95</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=#6600CC>Fort Wilderness Home -April '00</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF9900">Fort Wilderness Home - Nov. '00</font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#FF0066">French Quarter - Jan. '02</font>

Check out renting points from a DVC member to get a "Home Away from Home" unit with kitchen. Many people rent out their points if they are not going to be able to use them during their current use year. You can get accommodations which are anywhere from studios with kitchenettes up to much larger units with full kitchens and washer/dryer. There is a DVC rent/trade board on this site. Also, I have some points for rent, if you would like to email me; I could check dates for you.

We have a reservation at the Amerisuites near Universal Studios for an upcoming trip and all of their romms have a full kitchen, which I know will come in handy with 3 kids. In addition, their rates include a deluxe continental breakfast every day which not only saves us $$ but the time of going out for breakfast. We got the room thru Priceline for $13/nt. plus bonus. In the past, we've stayed at hotels that didn't have a refrigerator and simply used a cooler of the ice bucket to keep things cool, but I much prefer the refrigerator (with a freezer so we can freeze juice pouches to take to the parks for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter