• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a Day End of May?

DZLVR

Earning My Ears
Is going to CA mid week the last week of May crazy?

I am lucky to be a Zonie who goes to DL frequently. That said with my frequent (read several a year) DL trips, I get rigid if it isn't Oct 1st-March 1st I AVOID it. Shoving 2-3 trips in the cooler less crowded months taking my kids out of schol rather then going when my kids and every other AZ kid has time off school. We missed our late Feb trip because a family member's illness. This year and our annual San Diego beach week Vacation is early. Read my kids school year ends Fri May 23rd we drive to San Diego the 24th. My husband swears CA schools don't get out of school until June like the majority of other states and that DL will still not be so crowded then. Is he right?

Will 1 day only in CA be a relaxing fun drive up early morning do only the items we love because we've been there a gagillion times maybe stay for WofC then drive back down to San Diego?

Or will it be a crowded hot freak show where we wait hours in line do 5 rides and wished we'd stayed on the beach and saved the $400 on tickets?

According to touring plans' crowd predictor (not particularly reliable, but good for generalizations), the middle of that week is a 5 out of 10. You will be seeing crowds from Arizona and a few of the other western states, but I think SoCal schools are in session until June 5th. By the end of next week, the official hours and entertainment should be posted so you can see if all the offerings are available for you in the middle of the week. We were going to go that week, but ended up picking June 1-3 because of logistic issues.

Edit: Also, some schools on the alternative schedule (Chandler and parts of Phoenix come to mind) don't get out until May 28th--so bonus!

We've been that week before and it's not bad at all. It is usually not crowded but from when you usually go it might be a little more because some schools are off. I know our school is not off yet (northern maricopa) and I know Southern California is not out yet. As far as weather usually it's cooler than here in Phoenix so you should be fine. Just know the areas in the park that get hot and avoid them in the afternoon when it's the warmest. TSMMs line if it's in the far room gets really warm. Same with pirates if it's outside. Fantasyland gets warm in the afternoon. The one positive is it shouldn't cool down a lot at night so a light jacket will be all you need. It is May Grey and the marine layer (clouds that happen everyday) keeps the warmth in! Even if it's cloudy wear sunscreen cause you can still get burnt. And remember to drink because the humidity is higher enough that you don't feel like you need it in comparison to Arizona.

Just thought of grad nights. If your schedule is flexible check the grad night schedule and make sure your not going on one of those days. While it doesn't make it crazy crowded, the crowd changes dynamic. The mornings on those days are not bad but by 4 it's a lot more crowded.

I think when we have gone at that time the most we stand in line is like 40 minutes for a ride and that is late afternoon (after schools get out, before nighttime shows) and the more popular rides. We usually do only one day and can get almost everything done.

Thanx for the replies. I know that sometimes 1 day can make all the difference whether it's Thursday vs Friday or last day of school for Seniors can mean the park gets over run with rowdy teens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter