June trip to Seattle with side trip to Oregon

I live in an hour north of Seattle and visit both Oregon and Seattle pretty frequently. I go to Seattle about every other week. I'm actually going up there tomorrow to visit my brother who attends UW. I guess the must see in Seattle would probably have to be the and Seattle Center I could spend days alone in that area! It's where the space needle, EMP(Experience Music Project), and the Pacific Science Center all are! Also there's a childrens museum right there and a monorail which can take you an ok distance. I believe all the way out to the original Nordstroms which if your a big shopping fan this Nordstroms is amazing! Places to stay in Seattle I'm not completely familiar since we normally make day trip but I did stay up there over Christmas with some family and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites City Center. It has great views of the Space Needle and pretty good sized suites! Also there's a Holiday Inn right next door where you can eat which is a very nice plus and a free breakfast in the hotel every morning! There's alot of other very nice places in the city some more higher end than this. I would recommend if you want to go to Oregon skipping Portland and going to the coast around Astoria! This is a very cute town that I have fallen in love with throughout the years! There's so much to do on the coast but it will be a long drive keep that in mind! I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me! I know tons from all the years of living here and have fallen in love with this area of the USA!

You are all so amazing and generous with your ideas. I am getting so excited to get all this planning together...We are totally going to have an awesome time! If anyone wants to chime in with their ideas, please do so. We're not leaving until June 5. Thank you.

Been several times to Seattle, even slept in the Science senter with my Girl Guides overnight. I dont think the science center is anything to right home about, ( went another time, got the same feel)

Having said that, we did the Seattle City Pass, and so the Science center was included in that price. I found the City Pass to be a GREAT deal budget wise and included the zoo ( which we all loved - even more than the world renowned San Diego Zoo)

It also included several other things - like the Harbor tour which was much enjoyed by all of us.

Pike Place Market is a MUST - but really wont take much time to go through ( its a real - need to say you've done it place)

The next thing on my Seattle to do list is the undergound tour. Unlike most things that we all are mentioning ( zoo's science centers ect) that can be done in any big city, the underground tour is REALLY a unique seattle experience.

I have one other thing to mention, You will see a very neat looking building called the Experience Music Project.... SKIP IT. Waste of time, waste of money. ( Unless you are huge sci-fi fans because the sci-fi museam is part of it)

I think we had done the whole thing and were ready to leave in about 40 mins ( EMP and Sci-Fi Museam combined)

If you are going to travel from Seattle south to Portland, consider devoting a chunk of time to visiting Mount St. Helens. The best visitor center is quite a ways off I-5, but I think it is worth it.

in Portland you can visit OMSI (science museum), rose gardens, drive up the gorge and take the scenic hwy. back to portland and see the water falls. especially multnomah falls. go to Mcminnville and see the evergreen airplane museum ( they have the Huges spruce goose plane there )
if you like sci fi, seattle has a really cool sci fi museum.

in Portland you can visit OMSI (science museum), rose gardens, drive up the gorge and take the scenic hwy. back to portland and see the water falls. especially multnomah falls. go to Mcminnville and see the evergreen airplane museum ( they have the Huges spruce goose plane there )
if you like sci fi, seattle has a really cool sci fi museum.

OMSI is also part of ASTC where, if you are a member of a sister organization, you can get in free. Here is a list of the member organizations.

http://www.omsi.edu/sites/all/FTP/files/retail/PassPub0510.pdf

If you go to Astoria and can find it, we like to eat at Pier 11 Restaurant. It's right on the water and you park on the pier. They have the best view of the ships coming in to the Columbia River. Food is reasonable and American fare. Not great food but the view more than makes up for it. It's a must stop for us every time we go there.

I've been to Oregon many times and I've been to Seattle several times too. Oregon deserves more of your time. The coast is incredible. Someone mentioned Newport-that is where I would go, I guess, if I just had a little time. Washington State deserves more of your time too. This area of our country is the most beautiful I have ever seen and I've spent some quality time in most spots including Alaska and Hawaii. The Pac NW is a lush, verdant ecosystem with some big cities smattered in. Inland, there are some of the most amazing and idyllic scenes-mint fields waving, glittering, rocky rivers, volcanic parks, deserts, rain forests...you should plan to go back. I'm getting emotional remembering some of my most peaceful times. Once, my husband and I were fly fishing on the Metolius River which is maybe the most scenic river I've ever been on. I tired of fishing and climbed up on the bank. With dragonflies overhead, lying in the grass on the banks, I fell asleep while my husband fished. It was like something in a movie. I awoke to find him sitting by me while I slept. We sat, not speaking but watching and listening as the sun moved and the scene changed for the rest of the afternoon. It is impossible to experience any area like that if you are in combat mode. I could spend 4 days in and around Seattle. That is what I recommend you do.

Once, my husband and I were fly fishing on the Metolius River which is maybe the most scenic river I've ever been on. I tired of fishing and climbed up on the bank. With dragonflies overhead, lying in the grass on the banks, I fell asleep while my husband fished. It was like something in a movie. I awoke to find him sitting by me while I slept. We sat, not speaking but watching and listening as the sun moved and the scene changed for the rest of the afternoon. It is impossible to experience any area like that if you are in combat mode. I could spend 4 days in and around Seattle. That is what I recommend you do.

Oaky, you just made me tear up. I've been to the Metolius River and it is one of the most gorgeous rivers, if not the most gorgeous river I have ever seen. My husband and I spent hours there just sitting, walking around and taking it all in after a wonderful weekend in Sisters. Man I miss Oregon so much.

I prefer Seattle over Portland, but with that said this is my recommendation for Portland. OMSI is GREAT! I would visit it for sure.
Also, although we have not been yet, Seaside and/or Cannon Beach is a MUST see. I hear that there is nothing better than the Oregon coast. We plan to take our travel trailer there this summer.

Seattle, we've stayed at Hotel Sierra (indoor pool, great FREE breakfast, and free parking). http://www.hotel-sierra.com/locations/bellevue/default.aspx

In Seattle we have rode the DUCKS, that is awesome, we have actually done it twice and enjoyed it both times. The Space Needle for sure, and the Music Project, and of course Pike Place are must visits. I would also recommend going to Alki Beach, a fun little area. If wanting to visit a zoo, we have been to both the one in Portland and Seattle and the Seattle Zoo was better, imo.

If you have extra time, or an extra day left over, maybe take the ferry over to Victoria? I hear that is also well worth going for the day.
Have fun!!!!

Oh, okay then I'd probably try to go to Astoria or Cannon beach or somewhere in there, just to keep the driving to a minimum. If you can avoid the traffic between Seattle and Olympia, you might be able to get to these northern spots in 4 or 5 hours. We usually rent houses, so I can't recommend any hotels. There are a ton of B&B's all along the coast also. I would book soon though, it is very busy mid June to Sept. I personally am happy walking on the beach and looking for shells, but there are also lots of art shops, boutiques, seafood places, etc along the whole coast. I do love the Tillamook & Blue Heron Cheese factories in Tillamook, but not sure that's everyone's idea of fun! Nothing against Portland, but I'd pick the coast over the city any day. Oregon is a state - like Washington - that is distinctly different geographically and culturally west to east - most people never see the high desert farming and ranching country of the eastern sides and it is really a whole other beautiful area in it's own right, but since you have limited time, I'd go to the coast.

Have a great time!

I second canon beach and also hit the tilamook cheese factory. Mount St Helens is amazing. them the washington coast on the peninsula is great. Mt Rainer. THe san juan Islands. pike Place Market.

Snoqualmie falls. It is not a lot of driving...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter