July trip report

gigi766

Earning My Ears
Hi-
Trip report for the 3 parks.
Had an AMAZING time and thought Id share some info that might be helpful.

Hard Rock Hotel:
Stayed at HRH and LOVED it.
The pool was amazing and this was so important bc we spent so much time there. The atmosphere was very fun especially when the dj started around noon. (I think he plays til 6) Sometimes he played rock music which was amazing and sometimes pop-ish but both were great. Pool food and drinks were delicious. Pool waterslide is super fun and not long lines. Dj had lots of pool games. Sometimes there would be random lightening and the pool would get shut down all of a sudden. You could stay at the pool bar/restaurant though and dj sometimes would have games like bingo to keep everyone occupied. (Sounds boring but the kids seemed to love it) Also there are 2 pool tables and a small arcade near pool to go to if pool shuts down.
Lightening never lasted too long but the day before we arrived i heard pool/parks were shut down for most of the day bc of storms (!)
Hard Rock rooms are kind of small but fine. No microwave. Room service for food was great. The quick serve cafe on first floor was fine but the food was very basic. Did not go to the 2 sit down restaurants there. The decor at the hotel is amazing especially if you love rock music. Everyone at the hotel was super nice.
Location of Hard Rock is AMAZING. So great to just walk out and get to park in 5/10 minutes!
Usually just walked but could take water taxi.

CityWalk Restaurants:
Soooo I called universal vacation planners 2 times in the weeks prior to leaving to make restaurant reservations. They both told me there is no need to make reservations, (except for toothsome) , and that i can just walk in, esp since im a hard rock guest. That was NOT TRUE. I found out the hard way when i was told 90 min wait for bigfire when i just walked in. So make reservations in advance! I was able to book at bigfire one day in advance but it was for a 10pm slot. (Making smores at table was great!)

Island of Adventure:

Hagrids- watch out for weather forecast!! We started our queue when weather was fine, and then about an hour later (in the middle of a VERY claustrophic indoor cave tunnel) the line completely stopped. For a long time. It was a bit unnerving. It would start again then completey stop again with periodic announcements about uncertainty if ride would restart. Finally after reaching the final room, everyone was just sitting on the floor waiting. People started leaving. By 8:45pm, there was only about 30 people left. The ride was NOT restarted and everyone had to leave. Ugh. But bc we stuck it out and stayed til the end, they gave everyone there a Ruby Pass- meaning we could come back when we wanted and use "Express" for any ride INCLUDING Hagrids. Yay. Rode next day, ride was amazing.

Forbidden Journey- so amazing and beautiful. Didnt feel "queasy" like some people, line was always short, loved this ride sooo much.

Hulk- i was too chicken but my 9yo says it was fantastic and her favorite ride.

(Water ride)- jurassic river adventure- loved this ride, super thrilling steep drop! Upper body soaked.

(Water ride)- bilge-rat barges, full body was soaked, super fun ride, be careful with your stuff that you dont want to get wet and also maybe dont go at night if you're not going to pay for the body dryer bc you might feel cold with your wet clothes.

(Water ride)- Dudly ripsaw falls- full body was soaked, super fun ride, see above.

Universal Studios:

Escape from Gringotts- so I was in the second row and felt like I couldnt see the visuals well bc they were blocked by the people in the front row. So i felt like I wasnt able to fully experience it. Make sure to get first row!! I wanted to go back but never made it.

Characters:
I met Beetlejuice....didnt even realize he would be there and he was my favorite character at universal!! He was outside of Horror makeup show around 11am on weekday. He was totally in character and so hilarious, yelling at the kids lol.

-Horror Makeup show- loved!! so hilarious, amazing props/info in lobby, show not too long, great air conditioning break.

Simpsons ride- so jerky my neck was killing me Did not like it and i am a major simpsons fan.

Mummy- freaking amazing. So scary and thrilling.

Jimmy fallon, race thru new york- Loved this ride! Visuals and effects were fantastic.

Hollywood rr rocket- it was amazing, the music in your seat makes it much better bc it allows you to forget how terrified you are ....lol.

ET- i thought the ride was boring, maybe great for young kids, but the photo op after the ride is great!!! (On bike and with ET)

**Express Pass for Universal and IOA is sooooooooo worth it. Cant imagine doing it without.

**The heat- we went to the parks early morning and late afternoon/evening and stayed at pool for midday. Cant imagine walking around the parks for hours in full on midday july heat. Also I find staying at the park alllllll day way too exhausting.

Volcano Bay:
Well, i absolutely HATED it but maybe i just was ill-prepared. GO EARLY! Ok i didnt know this. I didnt overplan this trip (like i did at disney) bc everyone said dont. Well not for volcano bay! Got there around 11 and all chairs in main sections were taken. Had to walk very far in 100 degree sun with heavy bag and an irritated child looking for a chair. Not fun. Didnt have a clue where to go, was confusing to me. Finally found a chair but of course without an umbrella. It was so hot and there is no shade anywhere, you just had to jump in a pool but couldnt take your shoes bc you didnt have a close chair and the ground was 1000 degrees then you had to leave your glasses and hat if you wanted to swim or go on ride and i was miserable. Oh and forget the expensive express pass! Not the same as the parks. You stand in the SAME LINE as everyone else (just you dont have to do your pre-queue or whatever). And while you are waiting in your sometimes 45 min line the sun is relentless and the steps burn your feet bc you dont have your shoes!
Other people though seemed to be fine honestly so just please plan your trip for volcano bay!!

***universal and HRH is amazing and i was SAAAAAAD to leave***

~~~So theres my report, I hope some of my info can be helpful to someone~~~

Hi-
Trip report for the 3 parks.
Had an AMAZING time and thought Id share some info that might be helpful.

Hard Rock Hotel:
Stayed at HRH and LOVED it.
The pool was amazing and this was so important bc we spent so much time there. The atmosphere was very fun especially when the dj started around noon. (I think he plays til 6) Sometimes he played rock music which was amazing and sometimes pop-ish but both were great. Pool food and drinks were delicious. Pool waterslide is super fun and not long lines. Dj had lots of pool games. Sometimes there would be random lightening and the pool would get shut down all of a sudden. You could stay at the pool bar/restaurant though and dj sometimes would have games like bingo to keep everyone occupied. (Sounds boring but the kids seemed to love it) Also there are 2 pool tables and a small arcade near pool to go to if pool shuts down.
Lightening never lasted too long but the day before we arrived i heard pool/parks were shut down for most of the day bc of storms (!)
Hard Rock rooms are kind of small but fine. No microwave. Room service for food was great. The quick serve cafe on first floor was fine but the food was very basic. Did not go to the 2 sit down restaurants there. The decor at the hotel is amazing especially if you love rock music. Everyone at the hotel was super nice.
Location of Hard Rock is AMAZING. So great to just walk out and get to park in 5/10 minutes!
Usually just walked but could take water taxi.

CityWalk Restaurants:
Soooo I called universal vacation planners 2 times in the weeks prior to leaving to make restaurant reservations. They both told me there is no need to make reservations, (except for toothsome) , and that i can just walk in, esp since im a hard rock guest. That was NOT TRUE. I found out the hard way when i was told 90 min wait for bigfire when i just walked in. So make reservations in advance! I was able to book at bigfire one day in advance but it was for a 10pm slot. (Making smores at table was great!)

Island of Adventure:

Hagrids- watch out for weather forecast!! We started our queue when weather was fine, and then about an hour later (in the middle of a VERY claustrophic indoor cave tunnel) the line completely stopped. For a long time. It was a bit unnerving. It would start again then completey stop again with periodic announcements about uncertainty if ride would restart. Finally after reaching the final room, everyone was just sitting on the floor waiting. People started leaving. By 8:45pm, there was only about 30 people left. The ride was NOT restarted and everyone had to leave. Ugh. But bc we stuck it out and stayed til the end, they gave everyone there a Ruby Pass- meaning we could come back when we wanted and use "Express" for any ride INCLUDING Hagrids. Yay. Rode next day, ride was amazing.

Forbidden Journey- so amazing and beautiful. Didnt feel "queasy" like some people, line was always short, loved this ride sooo much.

Hulk- i was too chicken but my 9yo says it was fantastic and her favorite ride.

(Water ride)- jurassic river adventure- loved this ride, super thrilling steep drop! Upper body soaked.

(Water ride)- bilge-rat barges, full body was soaked, super fun ride, be careful with your stuff that you dont want to get wet and also maybe dont go at night if you're not going to pay for the body dryer bc you might feel cold with your wet clothes.

(Water ride)- Dudly ripsaw falls- full body was soaked, super fun ride, see above.

Universal Studios:

Escape from Gringotts- so I was in the second row and felt like I couldnt see the visuals well bc they were blocked by the people in the front row. So i felt like I wasnt able to fully experience it. Make sure to get first row!! I wanted to go back but never made it.

Characters:
I met Beetlejuice....didnt even realize he would be there and he was my favorite character at universal!! He was outside of Horror makeup show around 11am on weekday. He was totally in character and so hilarious, yelling at the kids lol.

-Horror Makeup show- loved!! so hilarious, amazing props/info in lobby, show not too long, great air conditioning break.

Simpsons ride- so jerky my neck was killing me Did not like it and i am a major simpsons fan.

Mummy- freaking amazing. So scary and thrilling.

Jimmy fallon, race thru new york- Loved this ride! Visuals and effects were fantastic.

Hollywood rr rocket- it was amazing, the music in your seat makes it much better bc it allows you to forget how terrified you are ....lol.

ET- i thought the ride was boring, maybe great for young kids, but the photo op after the ride is great!!! (On bike and with ET)

**Express Pass for Universal and IOA is sooooooooo worth it. Cant imagine doing it without.

**The heat- we went to the parks early morning and late afternoon/evening and stayed at pool for midday. Cant imagine walking around the parks for hours in full on midday july heat. Also I find staying at the park alllllll day way too exhausting.

Volcano Bay:
Well, i absolutely HATED it but maybe i just was ill-prepared. GO EARLY! Ok i didnt know this. I didnt overplan this trip (like i did at disney) bc everyone said dont. Well not for volcano bay! Got there around 11 and all chairs in main sections were taken. Had to walk very far in 100 degree sun with heavy bag and an irritated child looking for a chair. Not fun. Didnt have a clue where to go, was confusing to me. Finally found a chair but of course without an umbrella. It was so hot and there is no shade anywhere, you just had to jump in a pool but couldnt take your shoes bc you didnt have a close chair and the ground was 1000 degrees then you had to leave your glasses and hat if you wanted to swim or go on ride and i was miserable. Oh and forget the expensive express pass! Not the same as the parks. You stand in the SAME LINE as everyone else (just you dont have to do your pre-queue or whatever). And while you are waiting in your sometimes 45 min line the sun is relentless and the steps burn your feet bc you dont have your shoes!
Other people though seemed to be fine honestly so just please plan your trip for volcano bay!!

***universal and HRH is amazing and i was SAAAAAAD to leave***

~~~So theres my report, I hope some of my info can be helpful to someone~~~
Enjoyed your feedback and thoughts! Sounded like an enjoyable trip.

Such a bummer with Hagrids but wonderful you got the Ruby pass for your willingness to wait it out.

Oh and Beetlejuice is a riot right? He totally cracks me up. Sometimes he’s the opener for the Horror Make-Up Show (which I as well love that show). Thanks!

I have been so many times, and have never seen Beetlejuice. Could you tell me more about meeting him? I never quite know what to say to get the most out of character interactions.

Bummer about Hagrid's shutting down. It is prone to that, unfortunately, but glad you were able to get the Ruby Passes - those things are basically gold!

I agree with you regarding Volcano Bay. We had three-park tickets on our first UO trip, and I was not impressed. We didn't have express, but even with waiting until our time after tapping in, I was always waiting in a long line when I returned, which I thought the Tapu Tapu system was supposed to help avoid. I found it confusing to try to get around because there weren't really maps and the ride names are thematic rather than clearly descriptive to an English speaker. You'd think that in a water park where people put away their phones, the park would do a better job with signage to not require us to figure out everything on the website. I do keep in mind that we went in 2017 so it hadn't been open long, and there have since been so many reports by people absolutely raving about how great VB is, so sometimes I'm tempted to think my experiences may have just been from being an early user. But then I read reports like yours and it sounds like some of my fundamental problems are still there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter