Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

I approached the desk and told a very disinterested looking clerk that we wished to book a room for one night using our IHG reward points. She promptly points to a desk in the corner of the lobby and tells me that I would have to book the room on the computer. Really? :confused3 I question her on that but she steadfastly refused to budge: if I wanted to pay cash, credit or debit she would be happy to process my reservation, but if it was to be paid for with points, it was computer or bust.

What terrible customer service!

Honestly, the lobby felt more tired and worn than it did grand and welcoming.

It does! I wonder if they've used those decorations every year since the movie came out :scratchin

Like the lobby, the room was clean (and it smelled clean……giving credit where credit is due) but it was dark and worn. Tired, even. We laughed that we FELT like the room LOOKED.

That couch is such an eyesore :rotfl:

Steve did the same, though he feared I might need a shoe horn to get him out of that small space. If I was feeling claustrophobic, I can only imagine how he found that compact bathroom :crazy2:.

Was the shower in what looked like a closet behind the toilet? That does look really small.

Oh I love it, you're so precious! No, seeing genital markings is REALLY difficult, so you need to either have hands on them to look, or a good blood sample (and since whales give birth in the water, you loose a lot of the blood in the placenta, where as with seals and sealions, we can usually get a genital marking from the placenta). So a blood sample (which means you probably also are getting pretty hands on with the animals) is when they will find out if its male or female (that goes for dolphins too)

FYI, Marriott's app allows you to check in online. You can even change the time of arrival on the day of arrival, although I think they ask for a two hour notice?

Of course, even they had advance notice of our 11am arrival, Grande Vista didn't have our room ready until check-in time (4pm).

I never thought of downloading their app. Our stay was booked as a getaway through Interval International, so I guess we never considered the app as an option [that, and I was still using my old, archaic 8GB iPhone 5c...am I allowed to say I don't miss that crappy old phone?]. Also, we knew that check-in was generally set to be 4 pm, so with no guarantee of being able to check in early, we just decided to leave our projected 5 pm arrival in place. It worked out well, anyway, since we had the day to enjoy at Universal.

What terrible customer service!

It does! I wonder if they've used those decorations every year since the movie came out :scratchin

That couch is such an eyesore :rotfl:

Was the shower in what looked like a closet behind the toilet? That does look really small.

Yes ma'am. And it was as small as it looked!!!

Oh I love it, you're so precious! No, seeing genital markings is REALLY difficult, so you need to either have hands on them to look, or a good blood sample (and since whales give birth in the water, you loose a lot of the blood in the placenta, where as with seals and sealions, we can usually get a genital marking from the placenta). So a blood sample (which means you probably also are getting pretty hands on with the animals) is when they will find out if its male or female (that goes for dolphins too)

Bless your heart :goodvibes. "Precious" is so much more complimentary than "naive" :laughing:.

So, what's your bet on the new calf? Boy or girl?

Well, let's get this party started! For once, @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is not to blame.

facepalm-cat.jpg

:thumbsup2 this might get better than towel animals!

I am not sure you guys can be left unsupervised for the week we're in Orlando :rotfl2:. I can only imagine where this thread will go when you're all left unattended!!

Saturday, December 17th :santa:

Leaving the Holiday Inn Express behind, we headed straight for the Universal parking garage, found a space for the SUV, and headed to Guest Services outside the entrance to Universal Studios. We had some “administrative” things to take care of on this trip and figured this early morning start would be a perfect time to get them out of the way. We had pre-purchased one annual pass online before our trip, and had a gift card to purchase the second one (we had tried to pre-purchase the second AP with the gift card using the online purchase page AND by calling Universal directly, but apparently their system does not allow purchases by gift cards except at the parks :confused3…..weird). So, in an nutshell, we needed to get our pass purchases all settled and picked up so we could get access to the parks for the balance of our trip.

Despite being a Saturday and a week before Christmas Eve, the line at Guest Services was surprisingly short. While we waited behind less than 10 other families for our turn at the next available wicket, I texted our friends Kerry ( aka @dsmom ), Robert and David to let them know we would be inside the park gates within the next little while. They were just heading down to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and they promised to let us know when they had made it from Portofino Bay to the Studios.

The sun was blazing and OMG, it was hot :cool2:. We thought we’d melt as we stood in full sun in that slow-moving line. What a shock to the system to go from -18 Celsius to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the matter of 36 hours.

When we finally got up to the window, the very friendly TM at Guest Services was able to process the first of the two annual passes (the one we pre-purchased online with a credit card) with no issues, but the second one proved maddeningly frustrating. We stood there and stood there as they tried and tried to put the transaction through with the gift card. The TM eventually disappeared into the back to beckon a manager, and we stood there for more than 20 minutes before they emerged from the back. They swiped and swiped and attempted to reprocess, and the manager had no more success than did the initial TM. We had been standing at the ticket window for 45 long, hot minutes when they finally decided to try a different terminal and ….. voila! It worked! :cool1: Everyone was apologizing and thanking us for our patience and good nature as they finished processing the second annual pass and handed it to us through the little window……we couldn’t be mad or upset at all, because they really were trying their hardest to get the system to accept the card (and there was never any inference that they doubted the balance that we said was on it). The TM then inquired, just the two of you this trip? I answered yes, and he told me to hold tight for one more quick minute. His terminal started printing out a series of small pieces of paper, and he handed them out to us in a neat little pile. He smiled at us and said, Thank you so much for being so patient and understanding. Here are 8 Express Passes to help make up your time. Enjoy your day at Universal Orlando Resort!

We thought that was very kind :goodvibes.

With our AP’s finally in hand, we proceeded to the turnstiles and entered Universal Studios. Let the holiday fun begin! :santa:

15672482_10155325073696416_1622471247857773403_n.jpg

There was one more small task that we needed to take care of before we were free to just enjoy the balance of the day, and that was to pick up our Photoconnect card at the On Location store just inside the park entrance. Knowing that we would be purchasing annual passes to the parks at Christmastime, we purchased the annual photo card when it was on sale on Black Friday for $79.95 (a substantial savings, as the same card in the park is $149.95 in the park :thumbsup2). I had my printed confirmation in hand as we approached the TM at On Location, and hoped that this would be a quick pit-stop since we had lost almost an hour of our early start at the ticket window.

Of course, that wasn’t the case :headache:. Are you sensing a theme here? :scratchin

The staff at the store entered the confirmation but nothing would come up. They try a second, third, and fourth time…..nothing :confused:. The staff try to tell me that the transaction did not go through when I tried to make the purchase the month prior. I call up my credit card statement on my phone for November 2016 and showed them the charge to my Mastercard that was processed on Black Friday. They give me a skeptical look and tell me they will have to call a manager. I tell them, please do! :mad: (and make it snappy!!……okay, no, I didn’t say that out loud, but I thought it loud enough that they may have heard it :o) As we wait (and wait, and wait….. :rolleyes2) for the manager to make his way from wherever he was in the park to the store, the staff repeatedly keep saying that the purchase did not go through, which truly stirred my ire when I had already shown them confirmation of the transaction. By the time that the manager arrived, I think my annoyance was no longer well hidden :rolleyes1. I gave him a run-down of what had transpired so far, showed him my confirmation of purchase, showed him the transaction on the credit card, and told him he had two choices: issue me the card that I had purchased, or refund my $79.95 (which was a whopping $107.82 after conversion from US to Canadian funds :crazy2:). The manager was a good fellow, and didn’t hesitate to direct his staff: “Issue her the card she paid for. We will figure out the rest later”.

Hallelujah! :worship: Within five minutes, we’re out the door and FINALLY able to start enjoying the park.

15741285_10155325074841416_4255698374046923728_n.jpg

We decided to stroll through Hollywood and make our way toward Diagon Alley. After the frustrations of the morning, and as the temperatures continued to climb in the searing sun, a Butterbeer (or something stronger) was definitely in order ::yes::.

We were just walking down the street, breathing in all the sights and sounds of the morning (and admiring all the wonderful Christmas decorations :santa:), when this sight for sore eyes pulled up:

15894764_10155353369206416_6318397577759683_n.jpg

The Simpsons!!!! :banana::banana:

We’ve been fans of the show since Jake was a baby [yes, our sense of humour is apparently as odd at Matt Groening’s :blush:], and we always find the interaction with the Simpsons characters to be a real hoot. What an awesome way to kick off our Universal visit!!

15727027_10155325074031416_6203561601862502791_n.jpg

Meeting characters at Universal is easy and fun…….there are never huge lines or copious amounts of waiting. The TM’s are relaxed and friendly, and have a wonderful knack of keeping order while still allowing the meet-and-greets to be informal ad spontaneous. There was a Photoconnect photographer at this particular character meet, so we were able to get our picture on our freshly-issued card :thumbsup2.

By the time we had finished with Bart and Homer, the Spongebob Squarepants characters had appeared in front of Mel’s Diner: there was music, there was dancing, and there were more fun and impromptu meet-and-greets! :teeth:

15844557_10155353368611416_6094226924949778098_o.jpg

While there were no park photographers with this particular group, the TM’s with the characters were wonderful at offering to snap photos with guest cameras.

15826599_10155353368401416_1756967272830749055_n.jpg

We were both feeling pretty light on our feet, and had definitely started to reflect the fun and festive atmosphere of the park, as we continued our way toward Diagon Alley. The Christmas decorations were very impressive…..especially the HUGE balloons in celebration of the Macy’s Holiday Parade. They were enormous and must have been 30 feet high.

15823708_10155353368086416_5338987503112402423_n.jpg

We turned at Mel’s and headed up toward Transformers. I knew Steve loved that ride.....it was a favourite of his and Jake's.....but I also knew he wouldn't want to ride it himself and leave me standing outside alone (he's rather a sweetie about things like that, no matter how much I encourage him to go and enjoy himself). My mind started formulating an idea.....I had said that this trip I would put on my big girl panties and give a few new things a try. My heart was beating a mile a minute, but I couldn't help thinking: there's no better time than the present. It was do it now or lose my nerve.

I asked if he wanted to use two of our Express tickets to ride together, and after he got past the initial shock of the offer, he JUMPED at the chance. In we went.....this was a big step for yours truly!!! :eek:

And the ride? Well, it turns out that I LOVED it! :thumbsup2 I can't believe I hadn't been brave enough to try it in all of our previous trips :blush:. I felt like Queen of the World and the bravest person in the park as we exited, and I think Steve was just about the happiest guest of the day :). Topping off the whole fun experience, as we wandered back out into the sunshine, we saw that one of the Transformers was out meeting guests :woohoo:. To celebrate my "big personal accomplishment", we took a quick detour to get in on a photo. We waited less than five minutes for our turn …. so awesome!

15698354_10155325075991416_9000055718167667586_n.jpg

After Transformers, we continued to meander our way toward Diagon Alley…….we’d be VERY ready for a beverage by the time we finally got there!! :crazy2:......taking in some of the park sights and little details along the way. For the first time in all of our visits, we stopped to take a better look at the large statue in the New York area that we had never really took the time to notice before.

15895303_10155353371541416_1029733351910903148_n.jpg

It turns out he’s quite an important fellow where Universal is concerned. Who knew? :confused3

15941395_10155353370831416_5195106014988801973_n.jpg

The Beat Builders were also out performing, and we stopped to listen to their awesome music for a bit. The streetmosphere performers at Universal Studios are all amazing, and their music and energy add such a wonderful flair to the “feel” of the park.

15873291_10155353370916416_3341962435080752400_n.jpg

15873574_10155353369451416_4962061862020807414_n.jpg

We stopped to admire the Grover balloon:

15895053_10155353369371416_7233644465869502783_n.jpg

……and the Scooby balloon:

15871690_10155353371551416_2651855039893249104_n.jpg

……and then finally, we made it to London! We were SO thirsty by this point, we could hardly wait for something cold to drink :faint:. Bring on the Butterbeer!!! :banana:

Diagon Alley was still remarkably peaceful. Crowds were still pretty low, which was simply beautiful.

15894601_10155353369051416_5896023575643475249_n.jpg

There was probably more of a crowd at the Hopping Pot than anywhere else in Diagon Alley, but the line moved super quickly. As we waited our turn, Steve perused the menu and decided he would try something other than Butterbeer to kick off the trip: while it was still a cold Butterbeer for moi, he opted for a Wizard’s Brew.

15894295_10155353371446416_1807796378891605164_n.jpg

Finding an open table, we settled in to enjoy our beverages as we soaked up some much-needed Vitamin D in that gorgeous Florida sunshine. We raised our glasses in a toast: cheers to a GREAT vacation :drinking1.

Next: the fun continues at Universal Studios!

15726656_10155325076311416_3499506194089919452_n.jpg

What a mixed start your day! I'm sorry that it took so long to pick up your AP and Photo Connect card but I guess that if it hadn't you wouldn't have got the express passes, and if you hadn't have had the express passes you might not have ridden Transformers so I guess it all worked out well in the end!

Well your patience is surely been tested so far! You can see why some first time visitors don't get it, if they have to wait around at guest services etc and miss precious vacation time. At least you got the fp to smooth things over.

Now I am not a big ride person either ( and yes I wear big pants, but that's just the size of my behind!) but I do go on Transformers and YOU even persuaded me that the ride at a Gringotts Bank was "safe enough" for me to try, so I look forward to seeing just how big they got on this trip :rotfl:

Well after the delays and frustrations at the start of the trip surely you are do for some good karma right? Can't wait to hear how you found the Grande Vista (my favorite marriott so far-but we are staying at Cypress Harbour for first time over Thanksgiving so we will see)

My son LOVED Transformers and Spiderman. We wore out our EP's riding those 2 over and over, along with MiB. I finally had to stop him as I was feeling really bad about all the people waiting in line while we skipped on ahead multiple times:P

Ok I finally am here! Swamped at work this week. Glad you posted the link I might never have found this one. Just read the beginning, A snowstorm cliff hanger, hope I get to stop back in soon to catch up!

Saturday, December 17th :santa:

After Transformers, we continued to meander our way toward Diagon Alley…….we’d be VERY ready for a beverage by the time we finally got there!! :crazy2:......taking in some of the park sights and little details along the way. For the first time in all of our visits, we stopped to take a better look at the large statue in the New York area that we had never really took the time to notice before.

15895303_10155353371541416_1029733351910903148_n.jpg

It turns out he’s quite an important fellow where Universal is concerned. Who knew? :confused3

15941395_10155353370831416_5195106014988801973_n.jpg
Oh! Oh! I did!

Know who it is I mean, I haven't noticed the statue before either.

If you want a fun education on the history of Universal and WDW (more so than Disneyland) read Unofficial Guide's Universal vs Disney https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ve.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= This was a fascinating look behind the scenes of the creation of the Orlando parks, and for Disney geek was a "can't put it down" read (okay, I may exaggerate a bit, but I did really enjoy it!)

WOAH! What a narrow escape from Buffalo. Your morning looks so pretty. I live here and I still love the sight of a Florida morning. Just something about it.

What a mixed start your day! I'm sorry that it took so long to pick up your AP and Photo Connect card but I guess that if it hadn't you wouldn't have got the express passes, and if you hadn't have had the express passes you might not have ridden Transformers so I guess it all worked out well in the end!

Absolutely true :thumbsup2. Lemonade from the lemons!

And honestly, the delay to pick up our passes was not at all a big deal. They really were doing their best to figure out what was going wrong. The only thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was the photo folks making me feel like I was trying to get something from them without paying. Not cool.

Ummm...that goes without saying. It's me.

And that, my friends, is when (as my momma would say) "All hell broke loose" :laughing:.

Well your patience is surely been tested so far! You can see why some first time visitors don't get it, if they have to wait around at guest services etc and miss precious vacation time. At least you got the fp to smooth things over.

Now I am not a big ride person either ( and yes I wear big pants, but that's just the size of my behind!) but I do go on Transformers and YOU even persuaded me that the ride at a Gringotts Bank was "safe enough" for me to try, so I look forward to seeing just how big they got on this trip :rotfl:

Don't get me wrong, I hate that initial drop.....but its survivable. I have promised Steve I will ride Gringotts with him at least once on this upcoming trip, and I plan to stand by that pledge. He may owe me a Butterbeer ice cream afterward for my bravery, though :p.

I read your comment about your pants to him, and he laughed right out loud. You managed to easily be his favourite post of the day :cutie:.

Well after the delays and frustrations at the start of the trip surely you are do for some good karma right? Can't wait to hear how you found the Grande Vista (my favorite marriott so far-but we are staying at Cypress Harbour for first time over Thanksgiving so we will see)

My son LOVED Transformers and Spiderman. We wore out our EP's riding those 2 over and over, along with MiB. I finally had to stop him as I was feeling really bad about all the people waiting in line while we skipped on ahead multiple times:P

I can't wait to post my MGV photos....I hope I manage to get that far before we have to leave for our vacation. The Christmas decorations there were just so darn pretty!!

Cypress Harbour was an option for us when looking at getaways through II. I will be interested to hear how you think it compares with the Grande Vista.

The obvious choice!:littleangel: Not sure who's better qualified to supervise and keep the fun going!::yes::

I was thinking she might be more suitable to being the monitor of the naughty chair :rolleyes1. Since she surely has quite a bit of experience in sitting there ;).

Ok I finally am here! Swamped at work this week. Glad you posted the link I might never have found this one. Just read the beginning, A snowstorm cliff hanger, hope I get to stop back in soon to catch up!

Hey there, glad you were finally able to drop by! Take your time wading through the first few pages.....you'll have plenty of time to catch up after Saturday.

Every time we plan a winter trip, I always wonder at our good sense. Until we finally realize our dream of living in the south, we all should just hibernate from November to March. The bears have it figured out.

Oh! Oh! I did!

Know who it is I mean, I haven't noticed the statue before either.

If you want a fun education on the history of Universal and WDW (more so than Disneyland) read Unofficial Guide's Universal vs Disney https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ve.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= This was a fascinating look behind the scenes of the creation of the Orlando parks, and for Disney geek was a "can't put it down" read (okay, I may exaggerate a bit, but I did really enjoy it!)

Ooooh, thanks for the book suggestion!! Until I'm able to come out of my temporary "retirement", I would love to devour a good book or two. And there's nothing I enjoy reading more about than my favourite place in America :goodvibes.

WOAH! What a narrow escape from Buffalo. Your morning looks so pretty. I live here and I still love the sight of a Florida morning. Just something about it.

Amen, sister :thumbsup2. Especially in the "winter": its so hard to believe that two different parts of the same country can experience such completely opposite weather at the same time. A few days in the sun and warmth is better than any therapy session.

I think I've told you this before Gina, but you and Steve has the patience of saints! I definitely need to try and model that behavior from you as I'm not always the most level headed. I'm glad after all of the setbacks you guys had a relatively chill start to your Universal day!

...and P.S. I'm super proud of you for getting on Tranformers!! Maybe this will be the start of a more dare devil Gina? I hope to hear that you gave a couple other rides a shot!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter