Josh D'Amaro claims recent positive changes not due to "leadership change"

Liquidice

DIS Veteran
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/business/media/disney-parks-prices.html

I thought it was interesting that Josh D'Amaro claims all of the positive changes Disney Parks announced yesterday were not due to a "change in leadership".

From the article...
“This is not necessarily about a change in leadership,” Mr. D’Amaro said. “I have a lot of face-to-face conversations with guests when I’m walking the parks, and I read a lot of their comments online.

Yet, most of the changes are not effective immediately. Actually for WDW, the changes (other than free parking at resorts) will be "beginning in the next few months". This says to me that these changes were not really planned and just decided recently - otherwise why wouldn't the changes be effective immediately or within the next few weeks? I know Disney IT stinks, but these changes sound like they were pre-announced to give Disney fans something to cheer about. The Disneyland changes are effective Feb 4th, so maybe they are prioritizing / easier to make those changes for Disney 100 or they were planned as part of the Disney 100 celebration?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are finally some positive changes being made. I do wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg or are we seeing Disney throw us a bone and there won't be any additional positive changes?

The changes being made months from now says to me that they weren't planned in advance - and Iger coming back is a result of these positive changes. It might be that Iger's return empowered Josh to make these changes - or it might be that Iger asked Josh to look at ways to make some customer friendly changes. But this doesn't scream to me like something thats always been planned - at least not in the way it was announced.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/business/media/disney-parks-prices.html

I thought it was interesting that Josh D'Amaro claims all of the positive changes Disney Parks announced yesterday were not due to a "change in leadership".

From the article...

Yet, most of the changes are not effective immediately. Actually for WDW, the changes (other than free parking at resorts) will be "beginning in the next few months". This says to me that these changes were not really planned and just decided recently - otherwise why wouldn't the changes be effective immediately or within the next few weeks? I know Disney IT stinks, but these changes sound like they were pre-announced to give Disney fans something to cheer about. The Disneyland changes are effective Feb 4th, so maybe they are prioritizing / easier to make those changes for Disney 100 or they were planned as part of the Disney 100 celebration?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are finally some positive changes being made. I do wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg or are we seeing Disney throw us a bone and there won't be any additional positive changes?

The changes being made months from now says to me that they weren't planned in advance - and Iger coming back is a result of these positive changes. It might be that Iger's return empowered Josh to make these changes - or it might be that Iger asked Josh to look at ways to make some customer friendly changes. But this doesn't scream to me like something thats always been planned - at least not in the way it was announced.
makes you wonder if Chapek stifled D'Amaro and was micro managing him.

Disney has had a lot of bad press over the last couple of years for the nickle and diming, although it hasnt hurt park attendance (that we know of), maybe they've finally realized that.

Disney has had a lot of bad press over the last couple of years for the nickle and diming, although it hasnt hurt park attendance (that we know of), maybe they've finally realized that.
These changes are nice and good for PR, I still doesn't change the two biggest issues. Genie+ and lack of new attractions coming.

I definitely think Chapek was micromanaging, especially the parks where he came from. So while I think its feasible Josh came up with these changes on his own - it is something he wouldn't have been able to do under Chapek (without Chapek's approval at least).

When you look at all of the upcoming promotions with AP discounts at the resorts, the Dining gift card for staying at the resorts, etc, it says to me that Disney looked at their bookings over the next year and they are not nearly as good as they were hoping.

Truthfully, these changes probably won't cost Disney a ton of money. The WDW resort parking certainly is a concession on their part - but it costs them less than doing something like reversing course on Genie+. The rest of the changes are basically things that don't cost them anything. Don't get me wrong btw, I don't believe Genie+ is reversing course and going back to FP+. If anything, they could do something like 1 free Lightning Lane with a resort stay (or 1 for value, 2 for moderate and 3 for deluxe) or some kind of promotion like that.

I just hope that these positive changes aren't Disney's attempt at repairing their PR or throwing us a bone this one time and then going back to the way things have been the last few years and instead this is a pattern of trying to provide better value for the high price you pay at Disney parks. It definitely gives me hope!

I definitely think Chapek was micromanaging, especially the parks where he came from. So while I think its feasible Josh came up with these changes on his own - it is something he wouldn't have been able to do under Chapek (without Chapek's approval at least).

When you look at all of the upcoming promotions with AP discounts at the resorts, the Dining gift card for staying at the resorts, etc, it says to me that Disney looked at their bookings over the next year and they are not nearly as good as they were hoping.

Truthfully, these changes probably won't cost Disney a ton of money. The WDW resort parking certainly is a concession on their part - but it costs them less than doing something like reversing course on Genie+. The rest of the changes are basically things that don't cost them anything. Don't get me wrong btw, I don't believe Genie+ is reversing course and going back to FP+. If anything, they could do something like 1 free Lightning Lane with a resort stay (or 1 for value, 2 for moderate and 3 for deluxe) or some kind of promotion like that.

I just hope that these positive changes aren't Disney's attempt at repairing their PR or throwing us a bone this one time and then going back to the way things have been the last few years and instead this is a pattern of trying to provide better value for the high price you pay at Disney parks. It definitely gives me hope!
I don't think it will go back to being as bad as it was under Chapek mainly cause Iger is better with PR. I do think it does have something to do with the soft bookings this year. I don't see what else they can do that doesn't cost much money and makes guests happy.

Genie+ is here to stay and I don't see them changing much with it. After Tron there really is nothing in the works coming which is something that is desperately needed. The parks severely lack attractions.

From the article...

There could be different take - maybe the changes were already in the pipeline and the original plan was to announce and implement in a few months but with Iger coming back, he accelerated the announcement only, leaving the implementation date the same. Someone (Iger?) is finally noticing the constant drumbeat of bad press and is looking to counteract it.

As for the future discounts, not surprised at all. They usually have some promotions around that time of the year. And they have to see the slowdown in revenge travel coming along with the Fed induced slowdown. All leads to them starting to see a need to show the value in a WDW trip.

The only change I could see is offering it free with hotel stays, or as a package at a significant discount. Value adds to the trip to help counteract the coming slowdown.
I don't think they can. It's part of why FP+ went away. They don't enough capacity for the amount of people using Genie+. There is a reason no other parks let everyone buy their skip the line pass. From what I have heard Genie+ works best with only 25% of guests have it each day.

Chapek is a known micromanager, which is the opposite of Iger who let his people do their thing. Of course, that included Chapek in charge of the parks under Iger, but it illustrates the point. I don't believe for a minute that these changes would have happened under Chapek.

Last edited:
I don't think they can. It's part of why FP+ went away. They don't enough capacity for the amount of people using Genie+. There is a reason no other parks let everyone buy their skip the line pass. From what I have heard Genie+ works best with only 25% of guests have it each day.
So you limit availability. And don't forget, it would only be offered when bookings are down. At that point, if the crowds are low, there would not be much demand for it anyway. This would be a win win for Disney - no one was going to buy it with already low wait times and they entice people to buy full packages with something that wasn't going to sell anyway.

Chapek is a know micromanager, which is the opposite of Iger who let his people do their thing. Of course, that included Chapek in charge of the parks under Iger, but it illustrates the point. I don't believe for a minute that these changes would have happened under Chapek.
They probably wouldn't have but I also don't think Iger is going so any major changes. IMO these changes are good PR to get people to go to Disney. Judging from all the discounts available spring and summer my guess is booking are really soft.
So you limit availability. And don't forget, it would only be offered when bookings are down. At that point, if the crowds are low, there would not be much demand for it anyway. This would be a win win for Disney - no one was going to buy it with already low wait times and they entice people to buy full packages with something that wasn't going to sell anyway.
I with you there. They should have limited availability from day 1 with Genie+. It should have been $50 a day and capped at 25% of guests.

The only problem I see with doing that is that instead of guests still going to Disney and not buying Genie+, they will just not go. I saw it posted by someone here this past summer about the difference between Disney guests and Universal guests. They said the biggest difference is at Universal they rarely saw anyone complain about waiting in long lines. At Disney it was constant. The point is Disney guests are less accepting of waiting in long lines compared to most other parks. A lot of that goes back to FP and giving it guests for free.

I don't think it will go back to being as bad as it was under Chapek mainly cause Iger is better with PR. I do think it does have something to do with the soft bookings this year. I don't see what else they can do that doesn't cost much money and makes guests happy.

Genie+ is here to stay and I don't see them changing much with it. After Tron there really is nothing in the works coming which is something that is desperately needed. The parks severely lack attractions.

There are a few changes they could make that would make people happy and wouldn't cost them much money if anything...

1. Get rid of Park Passes (I think this is coming at some point in the future, but probably needs a lot of planning around how they will handle staffing, etc)
2. Allow park hopping earlier (ideally this would go back to pre-pandemic park hopping at anytime if they get rid of park passes)
3. If they really need to know what park you're going to for staffing (I'm not sure they really do with all of the data they have) - maybe offer some kind of incentive to tell them what park you're going to, such as 1 Lightning Lane included or something like that - if you want more you have to buy Genie+. Certain popular Lightning Lanes can be excluded, like the old Tiered system they ran at Hollywood Studios - make it so only Tier 2 rides can be chosen for the free one. One LL per person for a less popular ride wouldn't destroy the system (it would actually drive traffic to less popular rides) and it would probably buy a lot of good will from customers, many would look at is as a "win" with a return to some kind of free Fastpass.

Returning the sale of Annual Passes - even if they still limited the supply but made them available on occasion throughout the year like they said they are doing at Disneyland would be a positive imho at WDW without costing a lot too, especially if they are having issues filling the parks.

They probably wouldn't have but I also don't think Iger is going so any major changes. IMO these changes are good PR to get people to go to Disney. Judging from all the discounts available spring and summer my guess is booking are really soft.

Oh, no doubt. These were all easy PR wins, but Iger is smart enough to know that. He knows that Chapek caused problems, and these are the solutions. I expect more small changes to come, and, yeah, they are small changes but they are increasing value (even if just perceived value), and it's better than nothing.

I saw it posted by someone here this past summer about the difference between Disney guests and Universal guests. They said the biggest difference is at Universal they rarely saw anyone complain about waiting in long lines. At Disney it was constant. The point is Disney guests are less accepting of waiting in long lines compared to most other parks. A lot of that goes back to FP and giving it guests for free.
Interesting, there's probably a lot of underlying reasons for that. As you said, the good FP memories, maybe more cranky little kids on lines at WDW, maybe more scheduled stuff to do at WDW - i.e. dining reservations, show times, etc. that stresses people out more. And, if some people I know are any indication, time spent on line takes time away from shopping! I would imagine shopping is a much bigger attraction at WDW than Universal.

From the article...

The changes don't even move the needle. Ticket prices are still way too high. Still no way to get to the parks for those that fly in. Still no speed pass.

The only positive news here is that maybe, just maybe, the slowing economy is starting to impact their visits. A full blown recession might get Disney to really adjust their value offering.

Currently planning yet another trip to Universal due to the fleecing done by Disney. I sure do miss the pre-covid Disney. It will never be the same again.

Oh, no doubt. These were all easy PR wins, but Iger is smart enough to know that. He knows that Chapek caused problems, and these are the solutions. I expect more small changes to come, and, yeah, they are small changes but they are increasing value (even if just perceived value), and it's better than nothing.
Even little things like a free magicband & the magical express made a difference. You felt you were getting more value for your money & were a valued customer with that little extra effort made. Yes I know free doesn’t really mean free as you will be paying somewhere but it was nice regardless.

The only change I could see is offering it free with hotel stays, or as a package at a significant discount. Value adds to the trip to help counteract the coming slowdown.
Even to be able to pre buy before you holiday would be nice so I’m not setting the alarm at 7am when I’ve just flown 3,000 miles. The getting up at 7am to get rides booked while you are on holiday is insane and needs looking at.

I'm not sure if vloggers and discussion boards count as "press". I did recently see a national story on the local news about how people were having to go deep into debt to afford a DW vacation. That was the only time I remember seeing a national story about Disney that focused on price vs. some political issue.

Either way, it is a good optics move. I'm sure I'll be paying more for my Dole Whip this spring though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter