Joining Pete's Campaign on NO SWIMMING!!

As one responsible for people's health, I must err on the side of being "protective" of people.

Not meant as a flame; these boards are meant to be fun (particularly this forum). I just don't get what is gained from downplaying the DIS's attempts to be helpful and informative.

I agree with you on the whole fun aspect of the boards..and I am finding the thread enjoyable and informative at the same time. I am not downplaying the risk at all, I am simply showing how rare and non-threatening it is when looked at as a statistic. I guess I get a bit worked up at times, but I certainly respect the intent of the Dis crew. :thumbsup2 They do an awesome service for travellers and are highly respectable.

It's perfectly safe to jump off a boat in the middle of a Florida fresh water lake and float and swim around gently. It's perfectly safe to wade up to your neck if you don't have open cuts, and wash your hands with soap and hot water before you eat or touch your eyes or inside your nose or mouth.

A total ban on things that are only dangerous in part or in particular circumstances assumes that people can't be responsible for deciding for themselves what's right and wrong for them.

Frankly, I think the new culture wars in this country aren't between liberals and conservatives anymore, it's a clash between people who want a new rule about everything and people who are really sick of it.

I'm probably pretty far on the sick of it side.

A total ban on things that are only dangerous in part or in particular circumstances assumes that people can't be responsible for deciding for themselves what's right and wrong for them.

Frankly, I think the new culture wars in this country aren't between liberals and conservatives anymore, it's a clash between people who want a new rule about everything and people who are really sick of it.

I agree. I'm for personal accountability; inform people of risk, then let them deal with the consequences if ignored. Making more laws is silly.

popcorn::

Thinking about it yall are flipping out way to much.

Its not like many people swim in lakes they are just plain gross all that icky mud

But you have a bigger chance of having a car wrek next time you leave your house. or a car slamming into your house well your on the disboards

Nothing on the planet is safe.

Yes, but I minimize risks when I can. I wear my seatbelt and I picked out a car with good safety ratings. Those are easy to do. It's also easy to choose not to swim in a lake. So why not? Why is it "flipping out" to make an informed decision and decide that the benefit is not worth the risk?

It's perfectly safe to jump off a boat in the middle of a Florida fresh water lake and float and swim around gently. It's perfectly safe to wade up to your neck if you don't have open cuts, and wash your hands with soap and hot water before you eat or touch your eyes or inside your nose or mouth.

Please understand that no one here is making rules or suggesting that you cant swim in any Florida lake any more than we are making rules that you cant eat at Cinderella's Royal Table or O'hana.

We are simply providing information that people may or may not know and giving opinions, which is what we do....

Should you feel that all of this is an acceptable risk and wish to swim in Bay Lake or the Seven Seas Lagoon (or any other body of fresh water in FL), far it be it from me or anyone on the Podcast to stop you. Disney has posted signage suggesting that it's not allowed and, as the owners of the property, they have the right to do that, but they will probably not stop you.

We feel that we have given you the information as we know it....it's been discussed...so you are free to make any decision that you feel is best for you.

Oh, for Pete's sake. It isn't like the podcast crew is DEMANDING that nobody ever wade and patrolling the beaches to shoot the offenders. :faint:

They are simply pointing out that there are certain dangers associated with it. If you want to ignore the dangers (small as they may be), you can. The podcasters give their advice and opinions. You're free to pick and choose which parts you want to use/follow.

If, on the other hand, you a person like me who just never thought about the Alligator Issue, you might be grateful when someone reminds you of it.

I was really glad that someone told me to assume that where there was water, there could be alligators. I knew Florida had them. I knew Disney was in Florida. But I never thought about it on vacation.

I don't want to to wade and take the small risk. I'm sure there are others who don't either.

I think it was worth mentioning and that probably more than one doofus like me appreciated the information.

Please understand that no one here is making rules or suggesting that you cant swim in any Florida lake any more than we are making rules that you cant eat at Cinderella's Royal Table or O'hana.

We are simply providing information that people may or may not know and giving opinions, which is what we do....

I do appreciate the info about swimming in the lake (as we also come from o/seas and wouldn't have known otherwise), but Kevin... please, please tell me that a meal at CRT won't be life threatening!!! :eek: I can just imagine the conversation with my DDs:

"Sorry girls, we won't be having dinner at the castle. In got a bad review on the podcast - we eat there at our own risk, it could be lethal".

thanks for posting...

that's truly disgusting.......why would i want to compete in a triathlon that could make me sick?

do noseclips prevent you from catching the amoebas?

I think this topic has come up in conversation before, not sure if it was on the podcast, or another source, but my understanding was that the amoeba in question was really something that lived in the sediments at the bottom of the lake; thus it's warm conditions and shallow water areas where it is likely to get stirred up. Things like water skiing and the like take place in much deeper waters where this isn't really an issue; ditto for triathlon swimming. But yes, the nose clips would clearly reduce the likelihood of getting water up the nose.

I'm offering this without citing a source, other than memory, of course, so take it for what it's worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter