• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Johns Hopkins University CTY Talent Search

mickeylove2

DIS Veteran
Has anyone's child ever taken the tests? Do you have any real life info on the program? Just curious, trying to decide whether or not to enroll my DD. The cost is $92 so it's not bad, but I just want to know what the real benefits are. TIA

My oldest dd was a part of the Johns Hopkins program. How has she been indentified, by a standardized test. Back when my dd too took it, the next step was to take the SAT's, and then based upon those score I believe you could qualify for 2 levels of the programmed one for super, unbelievably gifted and one for extreme gifted. My dd did the first, and was able to attend a program at Stanford one summer for math theoy, and Brown the next summer for economics. Really a well done program!!

My son does something similar thru North Western. We use it as a tool to help him for when he has to take the SAT &/or ACT. But he doesn't mind taking tests-thank goodness.

Kae

My oldest dd was a part of the Johns Hopkins program. How has she been indentified, by a standardized test. Back when my dd too took it, the next step was to take the SAT's, and then based upon those score I believe you could qualify for 2 levels of the programmed one for super, unbelievably gifted and one for extreme gifted. My dd did the first, and was able to attend a program at Stanford one summer for math theoy, and Brown the next summer for economics. Really a well done program!!

She scored above 95% on the state test at the end of last year. She's only in 4th grade so SAT's are pretty far away lol!

That's awesome about the programs your DD was able to be a part of. What did she think of them? Is it something that she enjoyed?

My brother got into it based on standardized tests and a recommendation from his school. He was able to attend an economics class at San Diego State University, which he really enjoyed. I think there were a few other things he did but I'm not sure.

I think it was really good for him personally because he says he's "bored" in school and the classes/seminars through the John Hopkins program challenged him once in a while.

My dds were in the Johns Hopkins CTY program. At the younger ages they took a test called the PLUS test and then in 7th and 8th grades they took the SAT. Based on their scores they qualified for summer programs, which one attended for the summers following 5th through 8th grade. The other only went one summer. These were three week programs focusing on one subject area. They were residential programs held at various college campuses throughout the country. Excellent programs and my dds enjoyed them very much.
We also felt just the test taking experience was very worthwhile. :)

My DD did this through Duke, taking the SAT in the 6th or 7th grade. She was in top 5% in results and attended the summer program. I thought a good experience overall, though a bit pricey.

DD14 was/is a part of it. She got in based on her standarized test scores. She took the SAT in 7th grade. There are alot of programs she was eligible for, but for various reasons she didn't participate.

DS 14 is currrently taking an online mathematics class through JHU-CTY for enrichment. He has taken a couple of weekend courses through Duke Tip. He enjoyed them. He started doing this stuff in junior high so I am not sure what is offered at the 4th grade level.

DD11 has taken the Explore test since 4th grade. The advantages to the program was that her school noticed her areas of strength based on the test score and moved her ahead in math and language arts. She also qualified for enrichment programs that are expensive, but she has enjoyed classes like creative writing and rocks/minerals. She will take the SAT this year and hopes to qualify for a 3 week summer program. Standardized testing is aimed at present grade level. The talent search tests 2+ years ahead to see how far advanced the student is. If you find this useful for you, the test is not expensive and takes a few hours to complete.

Both of my kids were identified and took the SATs when they didn't matter. To me this was the best part so that when the SATs counted, they weren't as scary. The Johns Hopkins classes were too expensive for my kids to take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter