JetBlue recommends arriving 3 hours early to MCO?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Apologies if this is already a thread (didn't see one), but I saw this on the Orlando news web site: http://www.wesh.com/article/arrive-at-oia-3-hours-before-flights-airline-officials-say/10363679

In short, it says JetBlue is recommending anyone flying out of MCO in the next 8 months to arrive 3 hours before departure due to tram construction that takes passengers to gates 1-29.

I'm curious what those who have experienced this think of the recommendation, and whether Disney will make any DME pick up time adjustments as a result of this. Currently, DME would get us there 2-2.5 hours early, depending on how many resorts we stop at first. Anyone know if the tram construction affects any other airlines' gates where it would be good to arrive early for them as well?

You can always ask for an earlier pick up time with Magical Express. I wouldn't rely on them bumping back the pick up times, I think it would be a bit of a mess for them to try.

Apologies if this is already a thread (didn't see one), but I saw this on the Orlando news web site: http://www.wesh.com/article/arrive-at-oia-3-hours-before-flights-airline-officials-say/10363679

In short, it says JetBlue is recommending anyone flying out of MCO in the next 8 months to arrive 3 hours before departure due to tram construction that takes passengers to gates 1-29.

I'm curious what those who have experienced this think of the recommendation, and whether Disney will make any DME pick up time adjustments as a result of this. Currently, DME would get us there 2-2.5 hours early, depending on how many resorts we stop at first. Anyone know if the tram construction affects any other airlines' gates where it would be good to arrive early for them as well?
Since Disney now does one central drop off at mco instead of on the A and B side like they used to, you need extra time, especially if you have to check bags at the airport. One in our party had to check bags at the airport and by the time we FINALLY got through security (because 8 tsa lines were funneled to the ONE open scanner, took almost 40 minutes), and grabbed something to eat, we got to the gate 15 minutes before boarding started.

We were lucky enough we were able to get on an earlier dme bus, because if we would have been on our scheduled bus, we more than likely would have missed our flight.

In addition to the extra time for construction, there will now be additional screening of electronics which will slow down the security lines - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-separate-screening-ipads-20170726-story,amp.html

Everyone is being encouraged to get to the airport earlier.
Yep, they were doing that at MCO last week, which contributed to the long lines, though at that time, only laptops had to be in their own bins, not any other electronics.

In addition to the extra time for construction, there will now be additional screening of electronics which will slow down the security lines - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-separate-screening-ipads-20170726-story,amp.html

Everyone is being encouraged to get to the airport earlier.

I believe that is still in its "testing" phase and I departed home via LAX earlier this month fully expecting to have to remove my 10" tablet and signage said only laptops needed to be removed so they are not even following the "new rules".

Yep, they were doing that at MCO last week, which contributed to the long lines, though at that time, only laptops had to be in their own bins, not any other electronics.

Laptops have always had to be taken out.... That was not contributing further to the waits.

I am curious to know if this is effecting other airlines as well.
I generally fly Southwest Airlines and I cannot recall what gate numbers they are at. The article I read also mentioned something about limited service to gates 30-60 and if I recall those are SW gates.

I am curious to know if this is effecting other airlines as well.
I generally fly Southwest Airlines and I cannot recall what gate numbers they are at. The article I read also mentioned something about limited service to gates 30-60 and if I recall those are SW gates.
Southwest uses gates 100 - 129 at MCO.

We recently flew home from MCO on Jetblue. The line for security and bag checks were completely nuts. We did carry on only and have TSA precheck and sailed right through.

A woman made the flight just as a flight attendant was closing the doors. She asked if the plane could be held for her friend who was stuck in the security lane. The flight attendant chuckled and said, "Sure, we'll get right on that..".

My mother-in-law wants to travel with us to Orlando in the fall. We just booked her appointment to get TSA precheck.

And this is why we try and hop on the earlier DME if there is room. I would MUCH rather spend my time sitting in an airport being super early, than try and eek out 30 extra minutes of "magic" and sweat my flight's departure time.

Laptops have always had to be taken out.... That was not contributing further to the waits.
They weren't in March when we flew through MCO, which is why people were having to scramble to take them out AND put them, alone, in their own bin, as instructed by the tsa agent.

And this is why we try and hop on the earlier DME if there is room. I would MUCH rather spend my time sitting in an airport being super early, than try and eek out 30 extra minutes of "magic" and sweat my flight's departure time.

You should schedule an earlier time rather than hope that an earlier bus will have room.

You should schedule an earlier time rather than hope that an earlier bus will have room.

Oh, I have. But, we are typically waiting in the DME area about 75 minutes BEFORE we are "Supposed to" be there, and we have never had an issue getting on an earlier bus. So, 1 or 2 busses come through while we are there, and they have always accommodated us.

They weren't in March when we flew through MCO, which is why people were having to scramble to take them out AND put them, alone, in their own bin, as instructed by the tsa agent.

Sometimes MCO decides to skip most of the screening procedures. I love it when they do that--no having to take off belts and shoes, no taking out electronics.

This recommendation from JB has nothing to do with security! It's all about the construction going on. This is why it impacts basically just JB. Yes, there are other airlines, but they're much smaller airlines. There is only one tram running, hence the recommendation to leave a bit more time.

I am betting there will be no change to DME procedure. If you're flying JetBlue and you want to follow their recommendation, it may be up to you to request an earlier pickup from DME.

JetBlue is making it known that they won't be responsible for passengers missing their flights due to the airport's tram construction issues; they're going to consider this sufficient notice.

only laptops had to be in their own bins, not any other electronics.

As of today, I believe any electronic device larger than a cellphone must be placed in its own bin. TSA Pre-Check is supposed to be exempt. According to reports, this is slowing up the security lines because a lot of passengers aren't aware of it. At MCO the TSA apparently hasn't had time to change the signs and are counting on passengers hearing them when they say what needs to be taken out as of today. But a lot of time passengers tune them out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter