Jetblue charges MORE for more passengers than less...

zakatak

<font color=deeppink>Cinderella looked at me like
Hi!

I was just fooling around with the JetBlue website by putting in some dates in March. I accidently put in 1 person travelling instead of 4 and noticed that the prices dropped $20 each way... I got excited but noticed that I put in the wrong number of tickets needed. I went back, adjusted it to 4 people, clicked continue and the prices WENT UP!!

So, now I went back and put in 3 people, prices dropped. 4 people prices increased... 8 people the prices went up $20 MORE each way!

So, I would spend an extra $80 booking 4 tickets at the same time, instead of 2 and 2. The downside of booking two by two is hoping to get seats together (you pick them yourself during the purchasing).

Is that legal? Charging more just because you have more people travelling? Strange.

Just a heads up! Check it out... www.jetblue.com

Karen

Most airlines assign so many seats for a fare, they have different fare classes on each flight. For example, they may have 5 seats at the lowest fare class, then 5 seats at the next highest fare class, when almost all the seats are gone, all they have is the highest fare class. If there are only 3 of those lowest fare seats left and you try to book 4, they bump you up into the next fare category.

One thing I've noticed when playing around in the system, if you check a fare and then exit off it, the system will sometimes hold it internally so if you try it again right away only the higher fare seats are available. If you go back later, you will sometimes find the lower ones available again.

When booking flights for a family, all members of a traveling party must be booked in the same class of service. As DebbieB pointed out, if there are only 3 seats left in a particular fare class, you're entire party is then bumped up to the next highest fare class. Unforunately, this happens a lot. I usually start looking for fares for 1 person first, then move up to 4, to see if this is occuring. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. If it's the days/flights I want, I'll keep checking for a couple of days, if the fare doesn't change I'll buy it, it is still within my range of fares I was looking for.

If you book a few family members at a time on Delta to get at least some lower fares, you can go back and change the seat assignments later. With United you have to phone in (800-241-6522) to modify seat assignments.

When you view the seat map you can see whether the plane is relatively empty and whetehr you won't have trouble getting seats together.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned
* off site

seashoreCM - has a great idea, but it will fail you if there is either a schedule or equipment change. What will happen in that case is since you will in reality have two separate reservations. When there is either a schedule or equipment change, your seat assigments most likely can change. With two separate reservations, the computer who does the reassigning, will have no idea that the two ressies should be together and you could be assigned all over the plane. If this occurs close to leaving, and the plane is full, you'll be stuck without seats next to each other.

Hi -

I always fly JetBlue and have never had a price increase/decrease based on the number of passengers. Just out of curiosity I played around with the fares for the dates we're flying in April/May and they stayed the same regardless of the number of passengers that I put in. Strange that yours didn't. I may be wrong but I didn't think JetBlue charged different rates for different flight classes.

I would try calling their customer service dept. and ask them why. They are SO customer oriented that I'm sure you'll get some satisfaction. I just had them automatically credit my card when their fares on our flight dropped.

:)

Kim

The same thing happened to my on USAirways site. It was $20 more, each, for two passengers than one. I called their 800 number and was told what previous posters said, about the class...I hung up and called back a little while later and guess what...I got the cheaper price for two. I would try calling them, you might get lucky. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter