Jeep rental in Tortola

Lori Jeanneret

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have experience with renting a jeep on your own in Tortola? Was it fairly easy to drive around and get to a few beaches that way? There is a jeep guided tour but it looks like renting a jeep would be much cheaper and we love exploring! I see there are quite a few rental companies that offer this so I'd love some recommendations.

Last edited:
We haven't rented one ourselves. Just in case you haven't been to Tortola before, it is very hilly with narrow curvy streets. I wouldn't want to drive there, but it wouldn't bother my dh. Hopefully someone who has rented a jeep will answer you. We did the DCL Beef Beach excursion, it was on the other side of the island from the port. Not sure if there are closer beaches or not. Have a great cruise. Tortola is lovely.

We did a Jeep tour November 2018 and I agree with previous poster, riding with the experienced drivers was harrowing at times, I can't imagine driving myself. We loved the tour, we got a history of the island and the impact the recent storms have had on the islanders. We also got some beach time at the end of the tour, not a very crowded beach at all. It was perfect.

We did a Jeep tour November 2018 and I agree with previous poster, riding with the experienced drivers was harrowing at times, I can't imagine driving myself. We loved the tour, we got a history of the island and the impact the recent storms have had on the islanders. We also got some beach time at the end of the tour, not a very crowded beach at all. It was perfect.

We are doing this tour in February, so glad to hear you liked it. This is the one where they load you in a multi person, jeep, right? The 4x4 beach adventure? Do they pick you up at the pier, or did Disney lead you out with the paddles of power? Our excursion time is 1:15 so I am hoping we can go explore and then meet them on the dock. Thanks!

We are doing this tour in February, so glad to hear you liked it. This is the one where they load you in a multi person, jeep, right? The 4x4 beach adventure? Do they pick you up at the pier, or did Disney lead you out with the paddles of power? Our excursion time is 1:15 so I am hoping we can go explore and then meet them on the dock. Thanks!

Yes they walk you out with the paddles down the pier. And I think that's it's name. The first part of the tour there will be several stops to take pictures and learn about the island. The second half, there are chairs and umbrellas to rent at the beach. They have fruit punch and water available for you and there are food vendors at the beach. We got amazing pictures and the beach they take you to isn't over crowded. I would guess there were maybe 40 visitors on the beach. There were facilities to change clothes in but we just wore our suits under our clothes.

Does anyone have experience with renting a jeep on your own in Tortola? Was it fairly easy to drive around and get to a few beaches that way? There is a jeep guided tour but it looks like renting a jeep would be much cheaper and we love exploring! I see there are quite a few rental companies that offer this so I'd love some recommendations.
We rented an SUV (but not a Jeep) from Avis at the pier. Was super easy to reserve online and pick it up - and then drive around the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter