Jarring rides at WDW... Help save my back!

Disneygal

<font color=FF99FF>Considered special by the TFs e
I've got a herninated disc at L4-L5, pressing against nerves. I'm worried about the newer rides I have not been on yet. Thunder Mountain is a uncomfortable... But I do it 'cause I just can't help myself! Can anyone tell me if Rockin' Rollercoaster and other new rides are smooth or more jarring than Thunder Mountain? I also have RA, but I refuse to let it stop me!!! Thanx for your help. :D

[This message was edited by Disneygal on 02-01-01 at 12:09 PM.]

RNR is known as a very "smooth" rollercoaster, but that initial takeoff is really something. I have scoliosis, and even though I pressed my head back really hard into the headrest like they tell you to, I still felt as though my spine was realigned in the first five seconds! You are held in quite tightly, but, since it's dark (and you might have your eyes closed like some of us chickens), you can't anticipate the turns and rolls coming up. Very smooth, but very, very fast.

Hi and welcome, Disneygal. At each park, you can get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilites. It leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the amount of information that is in there. It does list which rides have cautions for people with back and/or neck injuries. There have been some threads on this board asking the same question as you did and we have lots of "back experts" who will probably reply. You can also try a search (that feature doesn't always work) or scroll back and look for titles that mention backs.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I have arthritis, several places but most recently most active in my neck. Stay away from Test Track, for sure. Very rough. Also, the Kilamanjaro Safari ride and Dinosaur. I got talked into riding the RnR, and I was extremely happy that they did talk me into it - it was in fact very smooth. Did it multiple times. Good neck and back support. Your mileage may vary!

galc.gif
WLlogo.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I have been looking around for answers to the same problem. I was just diagnosed with herniated/ruptured disks at L2, 4, and 5 and am currently on a week of bed rest/medication, hoping to avoid surgery. We are leaving 2-13 for a week at WDW (you don't think a back problem is going to stop me, do you!). I'm wondering if a motorized wheel chair is a good investment at the parks. Is it expensive to rent one and do all of the accessible attractions have wheelchair entrances? I'm not worried about climbing in and out of cars, etc., but won't be able to stand in line for more than a minute or so. On this trip I'll be going to the parks alone so won't have human assistance -- will that present a problem? Would appreciate any info -- and thanks in advance

poppyboy:)

Welcome, poppyboy, glad you found your way here.
I can answer the part of your question about line/ride access with an ecv. I'll leave the "is it less jarring to my back" part for our ecv users.
For the most part, the ecv will come right in line with you, you can get off it when you get to the boarding area and it will be waiting for you when you get off. There are a few rides where an ecv can't go. They are marked on the park maps with a little symbol of a scooter with an arrow into a wheelchair symbol. Those rides will have a wheelchair you can switch to, but there won't be anyone to push it for you.
oCLICK HERE for DIS site disability info page. If you scroll to the bottom it tells which rides you need to transfer out of a wheelchair or ecv for, etc.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Sue, thanks a lot for the info and the link. I have gotten the material and it will be very useful. I appreciate very much your assistance.

poppyboy:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter