Japan trip with kids - ideas?

Baduist

Mouseketeer
We’re in the initial stage of planning a March/April 2022 trip, with hopes of Japan being open*.

We’re 4: wife & me, and our two boys, who will be 6&4 by then.

Disney Parks are a given, we’re thinking3 nights atDisneyland Hotel, and 3 nights at Miracosta to enjoy both of them as we won’t be back in Japan soon.

Thoughts?

Other than that we’re looking for more ideas. The trip will be mostly about the kids so we’re looking for more ideas.

mourn top pick at the moment for a hotel in Tokyo is the peninsula, and we’re aiming for end of March to enjoy Sakura, but in general everything is wide open.

what else should we be looking into? Is universal worth it? LEGO land? Tokyo zoo?

(I know some are not unique to Tokyo, but as this trip will replace our US visit for the near future, we’re still happy to do those if they give a similar experience to the parks in the US).

Any thoughts & ideas would be welcome.

we’re thinking 3 weeks, maybe 3.5,one of them being Disney, not sure which.

* (were from a country that’s doing pretty well w/ covid so if Japan‘ll be open, I’m sure we’ll be allowed in)

We’re in the initial stage of planning a March/April 2022 trip, with hopes of Japan being open*.

We’re 4: wife & me, and our two boys, who will be 6&4 by then.

Disney Parks are a given, we’re thinking3 nights atDisneyland Hotel, and 3 nights at Miracosta to enjoy both of them as we won’t be back in Japan soon.

Thoughts?

Other than that we’re looking for more ideas. The trip will be mostly about the kids so we’re looking for more ideas.

mourn top pick at the moment for a hotel in Tokyo is the peninsula, and we’re aiming for end of March to enjoy Sakura, but in general everything is wide open.

what else should we be looking into? Is universal worth it? LEGO land? Tokyo zoo?

(I know some are not unique to Tokyo, but as this trip will replace our US visit for the near future, we’re still happy to do those if they give a similar experience to the parks in the US).

Any thoughts & ideas would be welcome.

we’re thinking 3 weeks, maybe 3.5,one of them being Disney, not sure which.

* (were from a country that’s doing pretty well w/ covid so if Japan‘ll be open, I’m sure we’ll be allowed in)
Dh and I went by ourselves but we did the Pokémon cafe, Disney store in shibuya, and a baseball game in Tokyo. What areas of Japan are you planning on visiting?

Good question.

im wondering if the two weeks we’ll spend outside TDR are better spent in Tokyo so we can really enjoy it w/o stress, or if we should go out and visit Kyoto and/or other areas of Japan..,

I don't know if a 4 year old will be able to appreciate all the things below but here's what I can think of:

Within Tokyo:
  • Sunshine City in Ikebukuro has a planetarium, observatory and aquarium. Pokemon center here also has a sweets shop.
  • Tokyo Skytree and Sumida Aquarium are in the same area. Also has a Pokemon center.
  • Aqua Park Shinagawa is my favorite aquarium in Tokyo area. Of the three aquariums mentioned so far, I like this one best but it's not as good as the aquarium in Nagoya.
  • Teamlab. The big gundam is near here and there's a few other attractions as well.
  • Asakusa. Shrine, rickshaw, street food, etc.
  • The Penninsula is close to both the Imperial Palace and Tokyo Tower so you could visit them both.
  • I haven't been to the Ghibli Museum yet but it's supposedly good for kids if you can get a ticket.
Assuming you are willing to travel around an hour via subway outside of Tokyo (day tripable):
  • I feel like Tobu Zoo may be a better fit than Ueno Zoo in Tokyo because Tobu has some rides and things like swan boats on the lake and a ferris wheel. Having rides where you sit can help when kids get tired from walking around a big zoo.
  • Minatomirai in Yokohama is worth a visit. Orbi is more of an indoor animal thing (be aware of long lines on weekends) and Cosmo World is an amusement park with a large ferris wheel. Both are pay per attraction so only pick the things you like (Orbi also has a small entrance fee). There's also the Cup Noodle Museum which I highly recommend for lunch. If you skip Orbi, you can visit the Port Museum instead.
  • Hakkeijima Sea Paradise is an aquarium + amusement park a bit south of Yokohama. It's a bit far from Tokyo for a day trip so if you go here, it may be better to stay in Yokohama to do minatomirai one day and this on another day.
Legoland is in Nagoya so you can take the bullet train. If you decide to visit Nagoya you may also want to visit:
  • The aquarium
  • The airport - There is a sky deck outside security where you can watch planes take off. There's also Flight of Dreams which is sort of a Boeing Museum with a few activities. Maybe spend a few hours on the day you arrive or leave.
If you decide to visit Universal, I recommend going to the Pokemon Cafe in Osaka because it's way easier to get a reservation here compared to the one in Tokyo. Other things in the area:
  • The aquarium - This one has the most impressive tank but the Nagoya one has shows and more variety.
  • Nara park about an hour away where you can feed the deer. The deer can get a bit aggressive though so 4 may be a bit young. There's also temples and stuff nearby.
  • If cherry blossoms are a priority, I feel like Kyoto would have the best places but it'll depend on when exactly you're there.

Idk how I forgot team lab! Definitely go there!!

We did a week in Tokyo and another week in the Kyoto/Osaka area. I highly recommend that. The bullet train might be really fun for your kids too. One of our favorite places in Japan was arashiyama. It’s very pretty and more of a natural part of Japan

We did a one day tour of sites in Tokyo - Meiji Shrine, Tokyo Tower, Palace grounds, and a few others, plus a boat ride on the Sumida river. That might be good for younger boys because you don’t spend too long in any one place.
If you go to Osaka, the castle there might be a good stop. Haven’t been to Universal, but if they like the Orlando parks they’d probably like it.

Pokemon Cafe
Shibuya in general
Kamakura
Mikasa historic memorial warship
Nintendoland
TeamLabs Borderless
Odaiba overall
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Arcades-capsule toys
Harajuku

Kidzania - https://www.kidzania.jp/tokyo/en/
Heiwanomori - https://ota-tokyo.com/destination/heiwa-no-mori-park-field-athletic-course/27763
Maxell Aqua Park - Shinagawa. Not to be mistaken with Shinagawa aquarium which is much more depressing LOL
Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise - rides and aquarium
Nagashima Spaland (Nagoya)
Nagoya Science Museum and Planetarium
JR SGMaglev and Rail Museum (Nagoya - near legoland)
iZoo (Izu Peninsula) http://izoo.co.jp/
Joren Falls (Izu Peninsula)- you can rent stuff to fish there
Hakone Kowaiken Yunessun - Hot springs water park - bathing suits/mixed bathing so family can enjoy together
Edo Wonderland (Nikko)

The Mikasa warship was mentioned earlier. The park has a cool water show with music and lights daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter