Japan June 2022

TXTransplant

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the June 5-15 adventure. I was inclined to book because the prices dropped to what they were the first year this trip was offered (it had become so popular since that we were priced out).

Obviously, there is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding this trip. Visiting Tokyo Disney was going to be a HUGE part of this trip for us, and I really want to stay at the MiraCosta. Just curious what others are doing or planning to do, if they have a similar reservation. Under normal circumstances, we'd be booking the park portion of this trip around this time, but that's not an option right now.

I didn't book the MiraCosta (I booked Tokyo Disney as an add-on through ABD and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel) but I know other folks did, and I remember them discussing that (pre-COVID) it sold out pretty much as soon as they opened up availability. I remember at least one person on this board had to do a mixed reservation as they could not get all the days they wanted at MiraCosta. Obviously, who knows in today's world? You might want to try "practice bookings" once they open back up to see what happens.

Sayhello

I didn't book the MiraCosta (I booked Tokyo Disney as an add-on through ABD and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel) but I know other folks did, and I remember them discussing that (pre-COVID) it sold out pretty much as soon as they opened up availability. I remember at least one person on this board had to do a mixed reservation as they could not get all the days they wanted at MiraCosta. Obviously, who knows in today's world? You might want to try "practice bookings" once they open back up to see what happens.

Sayhello
That was my original plan, but you can't even do that right now. The reservations website isn't accepting anything for our dates (not sure if they are even accepting any at all). I don't even know when it might open up.

I am booked on the May 15th departure. I am doubtful Japan is going to open in time. I was speaking with ABD today and the res agent said that they are trying to make a decision about each adventure (going or not going) before final payment. If Japan stays closed, I can get a refund on my business class tickets to Tokyo. Right now, I am inclined to switch to an Egypt adventure leaving around the same time. One of the factors is that the new Fantasyland attractions are now delayed until (optimistically) 2023. I love TDL and DisneySeas and I would love to wait until the new attractions are up and running.

I think they only open booking 2 months in advance now and it would be best to book an on-site hotel due to tickets being scarce/ limited. It changes so frequently so best to keep checking. I was booked for our own tour for March and I cancelled since it doesn’t look like they are going to open to tourists by then. I postponed to July 2023 now and hoping more things to be open too by then… oh, there is a new toy story hotel opening in April 2022 if you are interested ☺️

I am curious about this too since we were thinking of taking a trip to Japan this summer - maybe through ABD or maybe on our own. But obviously it is up in the air about whether we will be able to go.

Ugh...this is so frustrating. I've lost my optimism, too. Haven't booked plane tickets, although, I can get fully refundable for only a couple hundred more.

We got such a good price on this trip! I'm afraid we will be priced out if we have to push it to 2023. And I have no idea what our backup plan for 2022 should be.

Final payment has also been pushed out to 65 days before the trip. I hope they don't wait that long to make a decision because that would really cause problems with booking a back up trip.

Last edited:
Our May 15th Japan final payment has been extended to March 11. If the trip actually goes, I think we'll be greeted with tremendous response from the hoteliers and travel guides. I am sure they are all eager to get back to work.

However, I fully believe ABD is going to have to cancel. Japan is making no noise about opening its borders any time soon. I'll lose a $1000 on the (mostly) refundable air. I could also take the full value as a flight credit but we're on Asiana, so we'll have to think hard about how to use it.

We're looking into other options including non-ABD. Our problem is we're been to most of the places ABD goes. My only choices for a new destination for us is Ireland, Iceland, or the Laos portion of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. We could also do Egypt as we've only been to Cairo. Decisions, decisions!

Our May 15th Japan final payment has been extended to March 11. If the trip actually goes, I think we'll be greeted with tremendous response from the hoteliers and travel guides. I am sure they are all eager to get back to work.

However, I fully believe ABD is going to have to cancel. Japan is making no noise about opening its borders any time soon. I'll lose a $1000 on the (mostly) refundable air. I could also take the full value as a flight credit but we're on Asiana, so we'll have to think hard about how to use it.

We're looking into other options including non-ABD. Our problem is we're been to most of the places ABD goes. My only choices for a new destination for us is Ireland, Iceland, or the Laos portion of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. We could also do Egypt as we've only been to Cairo. Decisions, decisions!

Your departure is about three weeks before ours. Please post here if you get a cancellation notice, because I expect ours would be cancelled, too. It would just be nice to have a heads-up.

We are scheduled for July 10th... looks like most of the summer trips are "waitlist" only. Do you guys think it's because they're really full to capacity or ABD is avoiding taking any more reservations for trips that will be likely cancelled?

So, to complicate matters more...I was reading some articles yesterday about how, even when Japan opens up, they don't want the same number of tourists they've had in the past. The mayor of Kyoto was quoted as saying he wants to restrict foreign tourism, and he has a lot of support. The don't like the crowds and think that tourists are loud and rude.

The unintended consequences of the last two years just keep piling up.

So, to complicate matters more...I was reading some articles yesterday about how, even when Japan opens up, they don't want the same number of tourists they've had in the past. The mayor of Kyoto was quoted as saying he wants to restrict foreign tourism, and he has a lot of support. The don't like the crowds and think that tourists are loud and rude.

The unintended consequences of the last two years just keep piling up.
:( I know it's generally we Americans who get the bad rap, but you know, when I was in Japan, most of the tourists I saw, even in the crowded areas, were Asian. Maybe it was where we went or the fact that it was late May/early June? Still sad.

Sayhello

:( I know it's generally we Americans who get the bad rap, but you know, when I was in Japan, most of the tourists I saw, even in the crowded areas, were Asian. Maybe it was where we went or the fact that it was late May/early June? Still sad.

Sayhello

Yeah, one of the articles mentioned Chinese tourists (in a negative context), but a local government official and residents were quoted as saying all tourists.

I really don't like this trend because it doesn't mean tourism will end...it will just mean that some dollars are worth more than others. I'm afraid some destinations will become for the wealthy/elite only.

Yeah, one of the articles mentioned Chinese tourists (in a negative context), but a local government official and residents were quoted as saying all tourists.

I really don't like this trend because it doesn't mean tourism will end...it will just mean that some dollars are worth more than others. I'm afraid some destinations will become for the wealthy/elite only.
So they intend on charging extra for folks to enter the country? Like a charge for a Visa or something?

Sayhello

So they intend on charging extra for folks to enter the country? Like a charge for a Visa or something?

Sayhello
No, they are floating ideas to prohibit residents from doing short term rentals and charging higher taxes on businesses that provide services to tourists. Basically penalizing the locals who support the industry. But it will have the same effect: less supply and higher prices.

It’s mostly local governments, especially Kyoto, who want it, not the national leadership.

Last edited:
We are scheduled for early August, 2022 ABD Japan trip. I have airline tickets and pre-ABD hotel booked, but I do not have post-ABD Tokyo Disney booked yet. I am thinking the probability of this trip happening in 2022 gets less & less likely everyday.

However, maybe there is some hope…

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/02/21/national/march-border-rules-explainer/

I don't have any hope at this point. Most of Europe has been open to tourists (at least to some degree) since last summer, and I don't think ABD has operated any trips there since pre-Covid. I just can't imagine ABD will be able to get their act together in Japan within a few months (our trip is scheduled for early June), even if the country does open to tourists.

The current entry requirements for students and business travelers also require a visa and a 3 day quarantine. If Japan makes changes to the tourist entry requirements (ie, requiring more than a passport) or refuses to drop the quarantine, I think that will be the final nail in the coffin for trips anytime soon.

Has anyone booked on a May or June 2022 Japan ABD heard if these trips are cancelled? We are booked in July but hoping it gets cancelled before the PIF date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter