January, 2018

buteraa

DIS Veteran
Hey all,

After making two trips recently to the world at the busiest times (Christmas week and Spring break), we are going to try January for the first time. For all of you January lovers, can you recommend a good week to go? Thanks!

Avoid the first 2 weeks. Last year many schools didn't return until 1/9 and the calendar is lining up for that to happen again next year..

What kind of weather are you ok with? it can be rather cold in jan.

We went this past January (2017). We went to WDW for 5 days on the tail end of a business trip for my dh.

We wound up at Disney unknowingly on MLK weekend - so the parks were more crowded than we anticipated, but definitely not summer levels. That being said, the staff and ride vehicles in service was lower than summer -so, there were substantial standby lines.

Our weather - it was in the low 80's during the day - jacket could be appreciated at night and early morning, but it wasn't necessary if you didn't want to have to be bothered carrying it. From my understanding, it was unseasonably warm - not your average January weather, but not unheard of.

Agree with others that the first week of Jan 2018 will be packed. Even our school district, which typically goes back to school promptly after New Year's, has the entire first week of Jan. 2018 off. It's due to the timing of the days of the week prior to Christmas. And yes, the next weekend will be marathon weekend...

As far as weather is concerned, we went during late January 2009 and the weather was very comfortable. So was the weather in early February 2014. Then we went in late January 2016 and it was bitterly cold and windy- just miserable to be outside in. It's the luck of the draw.

Usually, January is great for crowds, but because of holidays/marathon, the first week or so of 2018 will be heavy. It kind of sucks because I've been planning a trip at that time for a couple years now (bringing a teacher friend who can't travel off season). I didn't realize the perfect storm of dates would be such a problem crowd-wise. Sigh.

Our school district used to have a four day weekend the last weekend of January for semester break. We went to WDW two different times over this break, and we LOVED being in the World then. Our very first trip ever was cold...we didn't pack well for this trip, our pictures reflect lots of layers and I recall disappointment that it never warmed up enough to swim. However, the second time we went in January, the weather was lovely and we wore shorts and swam every day. So, while weather can be iffy or lovely, the crowds both times were very low, which made for great trips.

Have a magical vacation!!

Our very first trip to WDW was the very end of January/early February a few years back. It was amazing! Like a dream. The parks were very calm and not busy at all. We were able to walk right onto rides/attractions at MK even at 11:00 in the morning (ok, not headliners, but it was still thrilling to meet Ariel without a wait). The weather was quite warm that year. We had a few days of near-90 temperatures (although evening were cooler probably because the sun sets earlier in January). So clearly the weather can vary a lot! If you can avoid the busy times (New Years/very beginning of January and the marathon...maybe busy for MLK weekend? We've never been that weekend), it's a great month to go. Nice weather and lower crowd levels!

We used to love going the last week in Jan. Last year we went the last week and it was the most crowds we have seen for that week. This past year we went the 2nd to last week in Jan. I was a little better, but still crowded compared to past years. I guess it is just hard to find anytime of year that is consistently not crowded anymore. It was still much better compared to other times of course, but just not like it used to be. On a high note we did have wonderful weather. Especially in the afternoons.

Can but not always. It's been anywhere from 30 to 80 degrees in January while I have been there.
Yeah I think we are use to be being chilly when we have gone over Christmas. I know it can be 80 or 40 depending on the day.

Our very first trip to WDW was the very end of January/early February a few years back. It was amazing! Like a dream. The parks were very calm and not busy at all. We were able to walk right onto rides/attractions at MK even at 11:00 in the morning (ok, not headliners, but it was still thrilling to meet Ariel without a wait). The weather was quite warm that year. We had a few days of near-90 temperatures (although evening were cooler probably because the sun sets earlier in January). So clearly the weather can vary a lot! If you can avoid the busy times (New Years/very beginning of January and the marathon...maybe busy for MLK weekend? We've never been that weekend), it's a great month to go. Nice weather and lower crowd levels!
I was thinking about the last week of January as well so thanks for this info!

We used to love going the last week in Jan. Last year we went the last week and it was the most crowds we have seen for that week. This past year we went the 2nd to last week in Jan. I was a little better, but still crowded compared to past years. I guess it is just hard to find anytime of year that is consistently not crowded anymore. It was still much better compared to other times of course, but just not like it used to be. On a high note we did have wonderful weather. Especially in the afternoons.
Great information, thank you!

Great information, thank you!

You're welcome! I have an update too. We just got back from a trip we took 5/13-5/19, which last year around that time was better than our Jan trip we took this year. Well, this year the May trip was way more crowded! It was better in Jan..lol. I hope that does not sound confusing. Anyway, I guess times that used to be slower are just getting busier. I am wondering if there is ever a slow time anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter