Jan 2 2013 Dream Cruise

Our family was discussing this very thing on our journey home. The after effects of dizziness hit my 17 year old particularly hard, so she is opting out of the cruise next year :( Can't imagine walking the parks with her...

I was dizzy after our first cruise, but summer 2011 we took a 5 day cruise and I never felt dizzy at all so I guess it's hit or miss for me? :confused3 It really was hard to enjoy the parks when I was so dizzy those first two days.

We did the parks first. Although it was super crowded, I'm glad we did it that way. We got to see all the Christmas decorations and spend most of New Year's in the parks. Didn't quite make it to Midnight (DD too young to stay up that late and DW and I are too old! :)) but New Year's Eve has never been that big of a deal for me anyways. It was nice to take the cruise after the parks because the cruise is a bit more relaxing. Right now I'm going through Disney withdrawal! Can't wait until March to start planning our trip to DLR.

We were lucky because they still had pretty much all the Christmas decorations up until we left! I got to see the Christmas lights on the castle and all the Christmas trees just without the crowds!

I was dizzy after our first cruise, but summer 2011 we took a 5 day cruise and I never felt dizzy at all so I guess it's hit or miss for me? :confused3 It really was hard to enjoy the parks when I was so dizzy those first two days.

We were lucky because they still had pretty much all the Christmas decorations up until we left! I got to see the Christmas lights on the castle and all the Christmas trees just without the crowds!

Wow, I guess we were lucky - no dizziness or even that strange feeling of movement on solid ground like I've had on another cruise. The last night on the ship was the only time I felt a slight bit of movement. We had some Bonine with us, but never used it.

One interesting thing we noted - a number of people of different ages had this circular band-aid-looking thing behind their ear. We were sure they were victims of body snatchers or something until someone told us it was for sea sickness. Not sure what that was.

It's cold (OK, in the 50's but still colder than the Bahamas), grey, and rainy here in Missouri. PDD has set in well - two groups of people have been in our room since we've left - how DARE they!!!

Wow, I guess we were lucky - no dizziness or even that strange feeling of movement on solid ground like I've had on another cruise. The last night on the ship was the only time I felt a slight bit of movement. We had some Bonine with us, but never used it.

One interesting thing we noted - a number of people of different ages had this circular band-aid-looking thing behind their ear. We were sure they were victims of body snatchers or something until someone told us it was for sea sickness. Not sure what that was.

It's cold (OK, in the 50's but still colder than the Bahamas), grey, and rainy here in Missouri. PDD has set in well - two groups of people have been in our room since we've left - how DARE they!!!

I had the motion feeling the first night off the cruise, but only a little. Really this cruise was quite smooth compared to the Wonder cruise we took in the Pacific. That one was quite rocky, although part of that could have been the size difference of the two ships. On this cruise, we only felt the boat on the first night and the last night (when going through the Atlantic) and we were in the back of the boat.

On the first cruise I ever took 20 years or so ago, I used the round patches behind the ear. I did not use them until our boat took off and we were below sea level, eating when we left port. (very old Carnival ship, even for then--sure it is scrap metal somewhere now) While I appreciate that I never got sea sick, those patches dilate your pupils so reading is just about impossible and you get dry mouth.

So, I had the wristbands and bonine ready for our trip in June on the Dream. Not needed at all so even forgot to pack this time. Last night on cruise was a bit rough waters--first time I really felt the boat shift. Took a bath as I did every night and the only time the bathwater shook was that last night. Still, the movement did not bother me.

I had found on the cruise in June that the movement of the ship made my dreams more intense. Found the same for this trip. Anyone else get that?

Can we just go back again?

On the first cruise I ever took 20 years or so ago, I used the round patches behind the ear. I did not use them until our boat took off and we were below sea level, eating when we left port. (very old Carnival ship, even for then--sure it is scrap metal somewhere now) While I appreciate that I never got sea sick, those patches dilate your pupils so reading is just about impossible and you get dry mouth.

So, I had the wristbands and bonine ready for our trip in June on the Dream. Not needed at all so even forgot to pack this time. Last night on cruise was a bit rough waters--first time I really felt the boat shift. Took a bath as I did every night and the only time the bathwater shook was that last night. Still, the movement did not bother me.

I had found on the cruise in June that the movement of the ship made my dreams more intense. Found the same for this trip. Anyone else get that?

Can we just go back again?

Our first cruise in 2005 was in December and really rough seas, my second cruise was in July 2011 and I never felt the ship move, and the only time I felt the boat rock this time was the last night. I didn't feel the world move after the cruise in July and I'm wondering if it's a difference in summer and winter cruises for me. Since the dizziness is pretty much a symptom of your inner ear, I'm wondering if because it's winter and my head is stuffed up more than the summer then there is more fluid in my inner ear to make me feel off. Did that make sense to anyone other than me? :confused3

MichelleVW said:
Our first cruise in 2005 was in December and really rough seas, my second cruise was in July 2011 and I never felt the ship move, and the only time I felt the boat rock this time was the last night. I didn't feel the world move after the cruise in July and I'm wondering if it's a difference in summer and winter cruises for me. Since the dizziness is pretty much a symptom of your inner ear, I'm wondering if because it's winter and my head is stuffed up more than the summer then there is more fluid in my inner ear to make me feel off. Did that make sense to anyone other than me? :confused3

Good theory... not sure. My motion sick child and I took bonine and wore the sea bands and did not suffer (thank God), but all of my family had some post cruise rocking!
As an aside, my 9 year old knew we were taking medicine to prevent motion sickness and asked on the 3rd night if we needed to start taking the anti-diarrheal medicine that we had packed "so we didn't get any of that either!" - lol.
Saw that someone on our boat developed influenza shortly after disembarking- hope everyone is staying healthy!

Good theory... not sure. My motion sick child and I took bonine and wore the sea bands and did not suffer (thank God), but all of my family had some post cruise rocking!
As an aside, my 9 year old knew we were taking medicine to prevent motion sickness and asked on the 3rd night if we needed to start taking the anti-diarrheal medicine that we had packed "so we didn't get any of that either!" - lol.
Saw that someone on our boat developed influenza shortly after disembarking- hope everyone is staying healthy!

Two interesting items related to this. On the way out of Port Canaveral, a police boat came and either took someone off or put someone on the ship. Also, did you see the medical helicopter land on Castaway Cay? I wonder what that was about?

Dave Dizney said:
Two interesting items related to this. On the way out of Port Canaveral, a police boat came and either took someone off or put someone on the ship. Also, did you see the medical helicopter land on Castaway Cay? I wonder what that was about?

We saw the police boat, but did not notice a transfer of persons! The captain addressed overhead that there had been a medical evacuation from CC and the "gentleman" was stable in the ER in Nassau... I hope all turned out well! We saw the hospital in Nassau on our journey down Queen's staircase... I probably took more note of this than others- LOL.
Captain Gusse did thank the coast guard for their great service and apologized if anyone was inconvenienced by the sand being disturbed by the helicopter--- SERIOUSLY???!!!???

I've had a terriible case of land-sickness. Any idea how long it will last?

I saw the other message about the flu. DD had a stomach bug Friday after school, but seemed to pass after sleeping for 16 hrs.

racingfandj said:

I saw the other message about the flu. DD had a stomach bug Friday after school, but seemed to pass after sleeping for 16 hrs.

My family is all past it now- even my 17 year old that suffered the worst! My board name is actually a result of my sensitivity to motion ( and history of vestibular neuritis that causes severe dizziness) - I might still be having issues, but went Tuesday for a molar extraction and have been battling a dry socket- definitely over rode the dizziness and added exponentially to the post disney depression!
Sorry to whine- can you all believe a week ago we were enjoying CC???
Hope your daughter gets all well soon... lots of the tummy bug going around :(

I think I have a problem . . . I keep pulling up our next cruise reservation and just stare at it lovingly.:love:

Then I pull up the Port Canaveral webcam and gaze at the blue water . . .

Reality stinks!

Jodie

Lol on the diarrhea question! :rotfl: I saw that someone had gotten the flu on our ship!! The flu is going around my work and a ton of the kids/staff has confirmed cases, so hopefully I missed it!

What time did the helicopter land? We were at the adult beach from about 9:30-2ish and didn't see it.

We saw the police boat, but did not notice a transfer of persons! The captain addressed overhead that there had been a medical evacuation from CC and the "gentleman" was stable in the ER in Nassau... I hope all turned out well! We saw the hospital in Nassau on our journey down Queen's staircase... I probably took more note of this than others- LOL.
Captain Gusse did thank the coast guard for their great service and apologized if anyone was inconvenienced by the sand being disturbed by the helicopter--- SERIOUSLY???!!!???

wow...I never heard anything about the helicopter. I did see the hospital though...we went to the Queen's staircase and fort too!

My land sickness lasted until maybe Monday night.

pillow said:
I think I have a problem . . . I keep pulling up our next cruise reservation and just stare at it lovingly.:love:

Then I pull up the Port Canaveral webcam and gaze at the blue water . . .

Reality stinks!

Jodie

You are cracking me up!
This is why I went ahead and rebooked on board.... that "to be continued..." feeling to fight the PDD...

Okay. That answers some of my questions....

My youngest and I went back to the boat around 1 and went up to play Mini Golf. Okay, we played mini golf 2 or 3 times each day.....

Anyway, while going up there, I saw the Coast Guard Helicopter land at the forward side of the boat on the concrete. We heard it land and wondered. I watched "okay, I am a stalker" about 20 people go out the same gangway we did to embark on CC and go to the right and load on the helicopter. The patient was seated up right on a gurney. They were not doing emergency things and he had oxygen. I assumed a heart attack that got revived but sent for safety....

I wondered where they would go from CC and now I know the answer. So relieved to hear he was in stable condition.

Our household is influenza free, my mom did suffer an infection aftewards but that can't be from the flu.

Also, my DD's friend boarded on the Sunday we left and looking at her pictures..... there were a lot of cloudy events for her......

Again, can we go back? Now?

:worship:

Lol on the diarrhea question! :rotfl: I saw that someone had gotten the flu on our ship!! The flu is going around my work and a ton of the kids/staff has confirmed cases, so hopefully I missed it!

What time did the helicopter land? We were at the adult beach from about 9:30-2ish and didn't see it.

wow...I never heard anything about the helicopter. I did see the hospital though...we went to the Queen's staircase and fort too!

My land sickness lasted until maybe Monday night.

. . . here at home in Richmond is about 45 and raining.

Port Canaveral is 75 and sunny. :beach:

Did I mention that reality stinks???

Jodie

pillow said:
. . . here at home in Richmond is about 45 and raining.

Port Canaveral is 75 and sunny. :beach:

Did I mention that reality stinks???

Jodie

Yes...yes it does! About 15 degrees here...

Just cured a little bit of my PDD!! Booked my first DVC vacation!!! :banana::banana: We're booked at Saratoga Springs but in a few months I'm going to see if I can switch it to Animal Kingdom since we love it there.

Just cured a little bit of my PDD!! Booked my first DVC vacation!!! :banana::banana: We're booked at Saratoga Springs but in a few months I'm going to see if I can switch it to Animal Kingdom since we love it there.

Nice! We love the AKL, too!

I had to withhold our on-board booking - we have some "domestic" issues that need tending to, which include a new roof, updating the deck, and some new floors. Sigh. I'd rather sink that into a 7-day.

Nice! We love the AKL, too!

I had to withhold our on-board booking - we have some "domestic" issues that need tending to, which include a new roof, updating the deck, and some new floors. Sigh. I'd rather sink that into a 7-day.

We have a 4 day on the Wonder booked for Feb 2014 out of Miami. Not sure if we will go on that one or change it. DH is wishy washy on cruising and when I booked it he said it sounded good...and yesterday he was thinking he didn't want to do it, but for now I will just keep quiet about the cruise because I know in a few months he'll change his mind again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter